Macross Ace Frontier for the PSP.

Hey, even though these are good arguments for buying the Slim, I'm still glad that the 3000 came out. It lowered the price of the 2000!!! :lol:

I am waiting as well for that.

But how good is the 3000 screen over the 2000's?

:edit: saw the link, damn that really is an improvement... i might just grab the 3000 then. :(

Glad i held off, would be good to get some honest reviews from ppl here before the plonkage of monage on the 3000/

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Knowing very little about PSPs, I'm confused by all this talk of firmware and software mods in the last few pages.

I thought a PSP from any country should be able to play the upcoming Macross Ace Froontier game without any modifications - just stick the game in and it will play, right?

I'm planning on picking up a second hand PSP to play the game when it is released, will I need to mod it in any way?

Graham

Knowing very little about PSPs, I'm confused by all this talk of firmware and software mods in the last few pages.

I thought a PSP from any country should be able to play the upcoming Macross Ace Froontier game without any modifications - just stick the game in and it will play, right?

I'm planning on picking up a second hand PSP to play the game when it is released, will I need to mod it in any way?

Graham

Not really. All UMDs (the discs used by the PSP) are region-free, so you can buy a PSP anywhere and play the game.

But since you're already buying a PSP, there are many things you can do with a modded one. For example, I have VF-X2 on my PSP while I wait for Macross Ace Frontier :)

Ah, I see. While I don't plan to buy any other PSP games to play, unless there is an Ace Combat PSP game, I'd definitely be interested in putting VF-X2 on it. Also, presumably the Macross Plus Game Edition playstation game can be made to woork on the PSP as well?

Graham

Ah, I see. While I don't plan to buy any other PSP games to play, unless there is an Ace Combat PSP game, I'd definitely be interested in putting VF-X2 on it. Also, presumably the Macross Plus Game Edition playstation game can be made to woork on the PSP as well?

Graham

That's right, and there's so much other stuff you can do, like run SNES emulators on it so you can play Scrambled Valkyrie, too!!

The PITA is that you need to install CFW -- "Custom Firmware" on it to override all the crap that boring Sony has programmed to stop you from using the PSP for all these cool things. AND to do THAT you physically need to have a modded battery (called a "Pandora battery") and a modded "Magic Memory Stick".

I didn't know any of this stuff until two weeks ago or so, but now that I have read that you can watch youtube on the PSP and play DVD rips from the Memory stick and run Windows etc, I'll probably never be satisfied with just a "normal", no-frills PSP.

Still not made my purchase though....

EDIT -- Oh yeah, about MacPlus GE: I doubt the two-player function would work though.

Edited by Renato

EDIT -- Oh yeah, about MacPlus GE: I doubt the two-player function would work though.

Correct.

And the VF-X2 (and basically every PS game ported to the PSP) also has some limitations that are not so bad. The PSP has only 2 "shoulder" buttons, as compared to the PS (and PS2 and PS3) 4 shoulder buttons, so there are some functions missing.

Good thing that in VF-X2 the speed and transformation options used by the shoulder buttons are cyclic, so it's just a bit complicated but still playable and enjoyable.

Another plus: the small screen of the PSP makes the VF-X2 fighters look very nice hehehe ^_^

Ah, so you do still need a pandora battery to downgrade. When it was mentioned that it could be done purely through software I was a bit baffled, since I visit a couple psp sites every few days and I'm pretty sure the homebrew community would be shatting themselves if such a revolutionary downgrade method were ever to exist :lol:

2 years ago I had to endure seven months of Sony's crappy firmware cuz the first thing I did with my psp was upgrade the official firmware lol. Then the GTA save exploit came along and finally saved me after all that waiting. Alas, the simple days of using either GTA or Lumines to downgrade new, factory fresh firmware psp's is no more =/

Edited by Mellow Yellow

You can buy... the wonders of ebay may show you around. There's also a lot of tutorials how to do it but they're mostly in hacking forums where the people there can't talk properly even if their lives depended on it. >.> Mr. Google has all the answers.

You can buy... the wonders of ebay may show you around. There's also a lot of tutorials how to do it but they're mostly in hacking forums where the people there can't talk properly even if their lives depended on it. >.> Mr. Google has all the answers.

Cool thanks. :-D

Ah, I see. While I don't plan to buy any other PSP games to play, unless there is an Ace Combat PSP game,

Graham

Graham, Here is the Ace Combat Game for the PSP

http://psp.ign.com/objects/822/822479.html

I bought it last year of a flight to Hawaii. It is not too bad.

The smart people hear will have to explain how to put VF-X on your PSP.

This is sad for me, cause im a NDS owner >_<, i've planned to buy PSP soon, though i think i'll buy it even faster than i expected >_<

*drools*

For everyone wanting a Pandora Battery, you can actually buy a little device from codejunkies that will convert a normal battery to "service mode" and back to "normal" mode for $30. It's what I used. I've used it on PSP slim and PSP phat and both worked just fine.

To simplify things people have asked about: PSP games are playable on any PSP, but movies have to be from the same region as your PSP unless you have a modded PSP.

The Custom Firmware (CFW) will allow you to do a lot of things, like play games off of a memory card instead of disk. You can also install a lot of cool little applications (like a cheat program if you have games that require way too much time to unlock everything the fair way). The CFW version is important. You want to end up with 3.90 M33-3 or above when you are done (some methods have you load an earlier version, then do upgrades to get to 3.90).

A "Magic Memory Stick" (MMS) is the a memory stick with the CFW installer on it. That way, when you use the "pandora's battery" or "service mode" battery, it will install the custom firmware. You actually make this yourself unless you buy one from somebody pre-made.

And lastly, YOUTUBE is your friend for all things PSP mod related. Seriously, there are a ton of tutorials for almost everything.

Edited by protostar8

Where would one be able to order?

That's something I would also like to know. For the people living in the EU there is only Ebay or wait till the game is available and order it thru an import games store or privat seller from asia. THANK YOU SONY UK/SCEE!!!

Will the game be playable for non-Japanese speakers?

There's always StategyWiki if it comes to understanding jap games.

I haven't been keaping up with this thread like I should so here's two questions.

• Will the game be playable for non-Japanese speakers?
  • Where would one be able to order?

Thanks in advance!

Likely, the game will be playable for non-Japanese speakers. All the Gundam Battle games (made by the people making this game) have translations of menus and stuff up on gamefaqs. Personally, I don't have any problem playing the gundam battle games, but it does take 10-15 minutes to get used to things like pressing O instead of X to select things. But aside from minor stuff, it will be all in Japanese with no real English anywhere, but you can learn where stuff is and what to press to play.

I was talking to my local EB games, they reckon the PSP 3000 will be out in a month or so, and will bemaybe 20 bucks extra on top of what the 2000 is now.

Can't wait! IF only they would bring out a special ed. PSP 3000 M ace Frontier case plus game...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Thanks for all the answers to my questions guys!

Now what was that site where I ordered my import PSP when it first came out in Japan? Damn, I need to stay off the weed, it's making me forget...something.

What was I trying to remember anyway?

Who Am I? Why am I typing this? Who are you? :unsure::huh:

j/k. I haven't smoked any in years.

I think.

Edited by Dante74

In the Frontier news section in the TV series forum, Kresphy just posted a link to the new Macross Ace Frontier commercial.

mms://221.243.119.235/macross_acefrontier/pv2_1009_1m_df87.wmv

The game looks even more awesome.

And it's confirmed, you can customize the colors of your mecha!

Graham

Finally! I can access MW! (<--Sorry, a little OT here!)

The new trailer looks great! Like the fact we can customize the colors. I don't see the the Super, Armored or Elint pack for the Messiah in the trailers shown so far. I hope they are holding it back showing it until the actual game is released. Also, I didn't see the VF-27 as well nor the VF-171 yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Did anyone saw the SV-51? I remember seeing it for a brief second in the first trailer but it could be my eyes are playing tricks on me. I hope it will be a secret valk that is unlockable.

My only criticism is that they fail to include Macross 2 again. I know it's non-canon and all that but it still some of the nicest mecha designs outside of the mainstream timeline. Show some love will ya!