Macross Ace Frontier for the PSP.

Are maps larger than thsoe in the gundam Battle games?

From what i'm playing so far and i started with the M7 campaign, the maps are definately bigger than the GBU maps. I've yet to hit a "No Entry" red wall. But i can't help but feel the game has less depth than GBU, if that's even possible. Most enemy mecha die with one hit from gunpod, missiles or any weapon u dish out at them. Brings new meaning to cannon fodder. IE: A whole load of regults just stand around waiting to get missiled while only 1 or 2 of them fire at you. Basara joining the battle and annoying you is simulated by your auto targetting reticle targetting him every time you wipe out an enemy wave. Small distraction but it does get on your nerves. ^_^

The Glavil battle was kinda cool. It has Pin Point Barriers!!! :lol: So far unlocked Miriya's VF-1J and VF-17, VF-17S/D and default mecha is VF-11C. Pilots unlocked is only Gamlin for now. Gonna call it a night.

All I've done are tutorials, so far, plus the first real mission. Control is slightly different than the Gundam Battle games, to accommodate the fact that you are piloting a variable fighter, not a mobile suit, but for the most part very similar. Maps are larger, so you have room to fly in fighter mode. My best comparison so far would be a cross between the Gundam Battle games and the A.C.E games.

I started my campaign with SDF Macross, so my hanger currently contains a VF-1D and a Destroid Defender. Color edit is nice... the default color is the same color that Hikaru crashed into Minmei's house, but I have it painted like Max's VF-1A (TV), but with green instead of blue paint. There don't seem to be any tuning point bonuses for Gundam Battle saves, though (I checked, I've got a GB Chronicle and a GB Universe save).

Basically, if you like the Gundam Battle games, and you like Macross (if you don't why are you here?), you'll like the game. If you hated the Gundam Battle games, don't expect Ace Frontier to change your mind. For the record (and those without familiarity of the Gundam Battle games) this is more of an arcade game than a flight sim. Fighter and Gerwalk have their uses, just like they did in the A.C.E games, but also like the A.C.E games, the engine is built to accommodate non-variable mecha.

This game is out? Where did you buy it?

The game comes out 10-9 in Japan, which technically it is now. I've got custom firmware on my PSP, so I grabbed an .iso off bittorrent until payday. Well, I'll still use the .iso, since there's a crack on my PSP that requires me to tape down part of the front cast to keep the analog stick in line, so I can't really open the UMD door, but I want to legitimately own the game... you get the idea.

been playing this game. pretty fun! i like the backround music and such. i'm just working on the SDF macross path. this game is very similar to GB universe but with the macross twist. seems like the map is bigger but not sure if its just cuz the units seem to move slower or something. lol

soo.. is there anyway to get the backround images of the loading screen and such for psp wallpapers??

been playing this game. pretty fun! i like the backround music and such. i'm just working on the SDF macross path. this game is very similar to GB universe but with the macross twist. seems like the map is bigger but not sure if its just cuz the units seem to move slower or something. lol

soo.. is there anyway to get the backround images of the loading screen and such for psp wallpapers??

Yes if you have custom firmware. In fact, if you have CWCheat, one of the options is to assign a button as the "screenshot" button. If this game is like the Gundam games, you'll unlock those loading screen images in an options menu so you can view them at your leisure. Then, just use the screenshot tool to take pics (I wouldn't keep it assigned to any buttons after you're done though...)

Damn... I wish I had a PSP. Does anybody know if this game is going to be released for the PS2 too? Sillent Hill Origins was released on the PS2 after being a success in the PSP a few months later... <_<

That'd be nice, but don't count on it. Before this developer did Ace Frontier, they did four Gundam Battle games for the PSP that never saw a PS2 release.

Just got the iso. The first mission in the Frontier section has you flying a VF-171 battling vajra to Sheryl's "Don't Be Late". So much win :D . Pretty much the same controls as the Gundam Battle games. With default controls, the analog is used for: left/right for gerwalk, up for fighter, and down for battroid. Also, it has the wingman commands just like Gundam Battle Universe did. Still haven't played enough to take in the awesomeness, I gotta start over in chronological order at the SDF Macross section, I just had to jump into the Frontier section to try their valks :lol: . Looks like I'll be falling asleep in class tomorrow hehe.

Edit: Here's how I get my psp fat to display on my tv. Needless to say, scaling the psp's screen up to something that big makes it look noticeably crappier =/

fuggin sweet!!! I can't wait to hook it up to my HP Lappy! Thankyou for showing your setup!!

As a game based on the Gundam Battle engine, you might think it leans toward Battroid, but it's really quite balanced between the three modes. Having played Battle Chronicle/Universe, I can see they've integrated Valkyrie flight much better than the flying mobile suits. Each mode has its advantages depending on the level - Fighter is good all around, and GERWALK is a nice way to speed around on the ground and mow people down. One interesting touch is that when you go Battroid on a planet, you don't just stay in the air forever like in VF-X2 and you'll eventually land on the ground. Makes things a bit interesting because if you use Battroid you have to watch out that your moving target doesn't move out of your range as you fall.

That's brilliant! I'm so glad they got that right, makes it realistic. (Excluding space battles of course)

can't wait to use a VF-0 and go off like Roy did.

Hows about the ground battles? Hide behind a building or two? And water effects? Can you wing tip the water with trail? Ohh i can't wait!

My order should have been charged and ready to send... i gotta go check it out now.

Looks like i'm at the final level of M7...not sure. But strangely i have not unlocked the VF-19 Blaze Valkyrie but i got the VF-22....weird. And i keep losing to geppernitch's tentacles. <_<

hiya, been playing this mostly all day today. i think im near the end of the sdf macross line, im at the DYRL final battle (kinda weird that it was tv line most of the time and then at the end its the DYRL final battle).

notice that i could use VF-1 fast packs on earth levels, lolz

Yes, that's the last level of SDFM.

But strangely i have not unlocked the VF-19 Blaze Valkyrie but i got the VF-22....weird.

Did you have to pick at some point? I started the Plus story after SDFM, and after mission 3 you're given a choice, YF-19 or YF-21. I went with the YF-21. I have no idea how/if I can get the YF-19 later. You can't get it by replaying the third mission.

Ok so i've preorderd the game but am impatient, can someone OM a link to the iso and a good crack for my psp?

also I want to rip the psx dyrl to any good guides I mean Fool prof.

That's brilliant! I'm so glad they got that right, makes it realistic. (Excluding space battles of course)

can't wait to use a VF-0 and go off like Roy did.

Hows about the ground battles? Hide behind a building or two? And water effects? Can you wing tip the water with trail? Ohh i can't wait!

My order should have been charged and ready to send... i gotta go check it out now.

Yeah, they did get that right, but by the same token there's weird things like using FAST packs within a planet's atmosphere. As to your questions, yes you can hide behind buildings and there are water effects. In fact, on at least one level you can go underwater with your Valkyrie ala Zero.

Yes, that's the last level of SDFM.

Did you have to pick at some point? I started the Plus story after SDFM, and after mission 3 you're given a choice, YF-19 or YF-21. I went with the YF-21. I have no idea how/if I can get the YF-19 later. You can't get it by replaying the third mission.

Do they give u a choice? I thought you just unlocked valks as you went along? Speaking of Blaze Valkyries, i haven't even seen Emerald Force in the game or any other VF-19S. :blink:

Comments: Veterans of GBU might need some getting used to the controls. Now, its the secondary weapon that switches by pressing left shoulder and circle together.... NOT left shoulder and square like the GBU games which in contrast switches your primary weapon. I have not figured out how to return your targetting back to normal rather than stuck at auto-aim. Its kinda annoying especially for the Geppernitch level since if you lock on him you'll never "unlock" and your controls become non-orientated to the view.

Edited by wolfx

Do they give u a choice? I thought you just unlocked valks as you went along? Speaking of Blaze Valkyries, i haven't even seen Emerald Force in the game or any other VF-19S. :blink:

Comments: Veterans of GBU might need some getting used to the controls. Now, its the secondary weapon that switches by pressing left shoulder and circle together.... NOT left shoulder and square like the GBU games which in contrast switches your primary weapon. I have not figured out how to return your targetting back to normal rather than stuck at auto-aim. Its kinda annoying especially for the Geppernitch level since if you lock on him you'll never "unlock" and your controls become non-orientated to the view.

L + R at the same time unlocks you from your target

Yeah, they did get that right, but by the same token there's weird things like using FAST packs within a planet's atmosphere. As to your questions, yes you can hide behind buildings and there are water effects. In fact, on at least one level you can go underwater with your Valkyrie ala Zero.

so ... damn... COOL.

I'll have to give this a go later on tonight. Any way to switch the controls in this to be more GB like?

Edited by protostar8

Yeah, they give you a choice.

Oh, and if you hold L and tap R, you'll unlock. Now go beat Geppernitch!

I'll have to give this a go later on tonight. Any way to switch the controls in this to be more GB like?

Dun think so. Slight mistake on my part, its still the same controls to switch weapons which is L + square, but the secondary switches, not the primary (gunpod). Here's the control list taken from gamefaqs forums.

D-Pad: Direction

Analog Nub Up: Fighter Mode

Left/Right: GERWALK Mode

Down: Battleroid Mode

Square: Fire main weapon

Triangle: Melee

O: Special weapon

X: Boost (Fighter), Boost UP (GERWALK), Jump/boost-up (Battleroid)

L: Defend

R: Lock-on/Change Lock

L + R: Cancel Lock-on

L + Square: Switch Special Weapon

L + Triangle: Charged Melee (uses 1 block on SP Gauge)

L + Circle: Charged Special Weapon (uses 1 block on SP Gauge)

L + Boost: Charged Boost (uses 1 block on SP Gauge)

Square + X: Special Skill (equipped in Hangar) (uses SP Gauge based on skill description)

Triangle + O: SP Attack (SPA for short, effect depends on the unit) (uses 3 blocks on SP Gauge)

L + Triangle + O: Team SP Attack (gets partner to do SPA with you) (uses 6 blocks on SP Gauge)

Select + D-Pad: Tells partner to correspond to what the bottom part of the screen says.

Additionally: Double tap any of the direction keys in any mode to do a quick dash in that direction or in fighter mode case, barrel rolls(left/right) and air brakes. (down)

Are the SV-51 and VF-0 definitely in the game?

What about te Armored VF-25S? So far, only seen pics of bare (non super or armored) VF-25.

Graham

Haven't reached campaign for MacF but i'm sure its in there. I'm still stuck at Geppelnitch.

PS: The intro movie shows mecha from Macross Zero but there is no visible Macross Zero campaign in the game, so i think is either a bonus unlockable mechas or campaign....unless they removed it again. <_<

Yeah, they give you a choice.

Oh, and if you hold L and tap R, you'll unlock. Now go beat Geppernitch!

Where does this "choice" present itself ? I must have missed it.

Where does this "choice" present itself ? I must have missed it.

Well, I'm only one mission into Macross 7 after you unlock the VF-17D, so I'm not even sure a choice is presented in the Macross 7 story. But in Macross Plus, after the third mission, when they're telling you everything you'll unlock, there's pictures of both, and you have to highlight the one you want to continue.

I'm guessing if you didn't see anything like that, there was no choice.

They're preparing my order. :D I may have to order Ikki Tousen for my psp as well. :p Is there any macross themed music during gameplay?

tons, with about 7 of the tracks with the proper vocals. (check a couple of pages back)

Well my order is processing! Hasn't shipped yet, also i'm getting a better deal with the same (Yesaisa.com compared to aussie dollar and extras)

for my PSP 3K! :D So yes, i should be playing MAF towards the end of the month. Good times! Good times!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

The good news, anything missing here will likely pop up in sequal games. I'd expect the same treatment that has been given the GB games with game engine refinements, and masses of new varients added. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Macross II mecha in a future sequel.

Take a look at how sparse & bare bones Gundam Battle Tactics is compared to Battle Universe. What'd be really cool, would be for a SRW style multi-franchise license Battle game, Macross, Gundam, and any other license they can jam in there.

Edited by Keith