About the Macross Chronicles

OK, so, maybe I'm a bit of a freeloader and a mooch... But has anyone made or know of scans of these awesome sounding pics? I can't get these at this point o' my life, but would love to see some of the pages. Issue 1, which I have seen was great!

Well considering the magazine is still being published, I wouldn't in good conscience post scans of the pages. This is BigWest's bread and butter and I want to see more Macross productions.

When it's out of print, then nobody but the re-sellers and auction sites make money on the books and all bets are off then... B))

Maybe members will privately share their scans, you may want to ask around... ;)

Well considering the magazine is still being published, I wouldn't in good conscience post scans of the pages. This is BigWest's bread and butter and I want to see more Macross productions.

When it's out of print, then nobody but the re-sellers and auction sites make money on the books and all bets are off then... B))

Maybe members will privately share their scans, you may want to ask around... ;)

Agreed.

I want Macross Chronicle to SELL SELL SELL!!! It'd be a tragedy if they had to cancel the project before it's complete or something...

That said, I'm working on translations of sections of it, and I'll put those up here when I'm done. So at least everyone will get some of the info, if not the scrumptious pics.

Incidentally, I picked up issue #7 today, and I think I've "cracked the code" for some of the mechanic sheets...

Since, for SDFM, the UN Spacy mechanic sheets number 02 is the VF-1J, and 07 is the Super Valkyrie, here are my guesses for some of the others:

01: SDF-1 Macross

03: VF-1S

04: VF-1A

05: VF-1D

06: Armored Valkyrie.

I would guess that they'll go into destroids after that...but I'm not sure. But we'll all find out next issue, when they do the Monster.

I'm kind of sad that there hasn't been much Frontier stuff in the magazine yet, but I'm assuming that they want everybody to buy the upcoming art book, and so are holding their cards a little close to the chest on that stuff. Probably next year we'll get more.

Edited by Gubaba

I would guess that they'll go into destroids after that...but I'm not sure. But we'll all find out next issue, when they do the Monster.

I'm sure they'll go into the Destroids. It just may not be as extensive as the VFs. Certainly not as multi-tier as the VF-1 (I sense DYRL? VF-1 articles too). <_<

Different publishers. Big West may be under contract not to release Macross F stuff to anyone but Kadokawa (publishing the Newtype book), Gakken (publishers of the Official File), and possibly others.

Mind you, Wiibu (I think that's the people actually behind Chronicle) may just be holding off as they know that the market is currently full of publications with Macross F stuff (magazines, books, mooks, etc.). (Looks at bookshelf full of Macross F publications... sees the yen floating out of wallet...)

I'm kind of sad that there hasn't been much Frontier stuff in the magazine yet, but I'm assuming that they want everybody to buy the upcoming art book, and so are holding their cards a little close to the chest on that stuff. Probably next year we'll get more.
Edited by sketchley

Its a little off-topic, but theres been a slew of Macross Frontier related magazine articles this month due to the series ending and the PSP game being released.

Dengeki Playstation had 2 double pages devoted to the history of Macross, a double page interview with Megumi Nakajima, followed by a few more pages dedicated to the game itself.

Also, Animedia featured a poster of the girls of Macross Frontier, which was quite nice.

I've included pics. These should all be available via Amazon Japan, so if anyone if doing an order of Chronicles, you might want to chuck one of these in.

Additionaly, Memories 2049 is due out this week, and the 2nd issue of the Frontier Fact File will be out next month.

Just to make myself clear, I don't want to pirate the Chronicle. I feel that pirating is counter-productive. The things you want more of will only be made if they bring in money. Unfortunately, it's a bad time to be a poor Macross fan. I'm not after hi-res scans of the entire magazine, I'd just like to see some of it. Heck, even the photos of some spreads has been enough for me; I'm just a little surprised that more such scans/pictures have not shown up online, like just about everything else.

Edited by Kelsain

I'm only up to issue #6. But I'll the new issues next month. I'm buying them in blocks of 3-4 issues to save on shipping :)

Thats how Im doing it as it is gonna rack up big money in postage when its done.

Well I have a tatami room and a western style room. The tatami room is the only one with any space tho. The western style room is where my Aquos resides and it doesnt like being disturbed ;-)

Anyways, today being payday, I dropped by my local Animate since I didnt want my wallet being burdened by trivial things such as money.

And I found an odd booklet calls DEBUT! Ranka Lee with Sheryl Nome, Macross 2059. This is different from the Memories 2059 booklet that comes out next month and is not something Id seen in any shop. Basically its a glossy collection of shots of Ranka from Frontier episodes, with some magazine style art thrown in as well. The booklet is 80% Ranka (we need a separate one for Sheryl love!) and each double page spread is themed after a particular episode. Theres also interviews with Kawamori, Nakajima and May'n.

I'm not really sure what this is for, to be honest. It MIGHT have been a booklet for Nakajima's original solo concerts a few months back or could be an original product for Animate. Either way, if any of the posters here in Japan are interested, drop by your closest Animate to check it out.

post-9325-1224860201_thumb.jpg

post-9325-1224860216_thumb.jpg

post-9325-1224860244_thumb.jpg

post-9325-1224860746_thumb.jpg

post-9325-1224860262_thumb.jpg

post-9325-1224860278_thumb.jpg

Well I have a tatami room and a western style room. The tatami room is the only one with any space tho. The western style room is where my Aquos resides and it doesnt like being disturbed ;-)

Anyways, today being payday, I dropped by my local Animate since I didnt want my wallet being burdened by trivial things such as money.

And I found an odd booklet calls DEBUT! Ranka Lee with Sheryl Nome, Macross 2059. This is different from the Memories 2059 booklet that comes out next month and is not something Id seen in any shop. Basically its a glossy collection of shots of Ranka from Frontier episodes, with some magazine style art thrown in as well. The booklet is 80% Ranka (we need a separate one for Sheryl love!) and each double page spread is themed after a particular episode. Theres also interviews with Kawamori, Nakajima and May'n.

I'm not really sure what this is for, to be honest. It MIGHT have been a booklet for Nakajima's original solo concerts a few months back or could be an original product for Animate. Either way, if any of the posters here in Japan are interested, drop by your closest Animate to check it out.

Yeah, as you suspected, that's the Program from the concert last July. Did Animate have a lot of them...?

Yeah, as you suspected, that's the Program from the concert last July. Did Animate have a lot of them...?

A pile of a dozen or so. Yeah, theres no barcode or price listed on the actual booklet itself, so I figured that might be the case.

Well, check your local animate soon before they run out, I guess.

On the good side, this means that we might see the booklets and design sketch books from the Galaxy Tour pop up sometime after the final concert at the Budokan in November.

A pile of a dozen or so. Yeah, theres no barcode or price listed on the actual booklet itself, so I figured that might be the case.

Well, check your local animate soon before they run out, I guess.

On the good side, this means that we might see the booklets and design sketch books from the Galaxy Tour pop up sometime after the final concert at the Budokan in November.

How much was it? And just in case, could we please have scans or photos (legible) of the interview pages?

How much was it? And just in case, could we please have scans or photos (legible) of the interview pages?

Was approx. 2600 from memory. Whether its worth the price - well, I like big glossy booklets, what can I say.

The interviews are Q&A pieces. I dont do scans but heres some pics.

post-9325-1225028461_thumb.jpg post-9325-1225028472_thumb.jpg post-9325-1225028481_thumb.jpg

Oh, another magazine that might interest people is the November issue of Hobby Japan. It has a large feature on the Macross Frontier plastic model series. Nothing on the actual YF 25 toys coming out in Dec, but nice nonetheless.

Available from Amazon Japan for those interested.

post-9325-1225028542_thumb.jpg post-9325-1225028556_thumb.jpg post-9325-1225028565_thumb.jpg

post-9325-1225028578_thumb.jpg post-9325-1225028612_thumb.jpg post-9325-1225028623_thumb.jpg

For Issue 9:

Mechanic Sheet:

*VF-0S Phoenix

*SDF-1 Macross

*U.N. Cars [i think]

Character Sheet:

*Shin Kudo

*Marj Guldoa / Reymond Marley

*Michael Blanc

Gallery Sheet:

*Macross Frontier

Timeline Sheet:

*Macross Fatefully Leaves Earth [i think]

History Sheet

*Sharon Apple Incident

Technology Sheet:

Emigration Ships

Song Sheet:

*Holy Lonely Light / Pillow Dream

Goods Sheet

*Action Figure: Roveltech

Just a little tip for those of you that get your Chronicles via HMV. I tried to pre-order 5 issues and requested to ship when the order was complete. Well, they ended up shipping me 4 issues and did not wait for issue No. 8 to come out on the 30th.

When I inquired they replied by stating their policies.

Quote from HMV:

The maximum length of time that items can be reserved for is 1 month from the order date.

For those customers who, for any reason, have items reserved for longer than 1 month we may occasionally arrange to dispatch items to the customer. In such instances we will bear the cost of shipping the products to the customer. Please note that overseas customer will be charged a shipping fee for each shipment and the shipping fee will be revised according the weight of your order.

So, it seems their policy to hold items for only 1 month conflicts sometimes with their policy to ship a complete order. From what I've experienced it seems to be their discretion as far as holding items for longer than 1 month. I guess anything past 2 months is pushing it, and they decided to ship me my 4 issues even though the order was technically not complete.

It looks like it is too late to cancel issue 8 as it will be shipped all by itself on the 30th, and I will be charged the shipping cost for the one item. I guess I learned the hard way not to pre-order more than 4 issues at a time.

Most stores, including Amazon.com, hold the same policy (not sure about the Japanese website). You're likely only to get three or four issues at maximum per order. Your best bet is to wait until the second issue of the set you're ordering is published and then a month later your order should ship with four issues. For example, if you want issue #9, wait until issue #10's publication date and then order #9, #10 and #11 and #12 in one group. One month after you've ordered, issues #11 and #12 will have been published and the four books will be ready to go.

I've been a little impatient, so I've been ordering them three at a time. But it's not that big a deal anyway, since by the time three issues have been published, it's already a month and a half later. So the cost is spread out in such a way as to be much more affordable over time. It's still expensive, but what can we do? :)

Edited by Mr March

Definately a nice issue this month.

For those of you ordering from Amazon - why not wait a few months? Every issue that is more than 2 months old gets reduced by 100 yen. So you could cover half of your postage if not more by waiting and getting 5 or 6 back issues at a time.

The Memories 2050 book is out. Its 80% story digest with pictures, as well as a few pages of glossy colour pictures of Sheryl and Ranka and a few pages of sketches of the Frontier itself.

Nothing too mind blowing but nice enough.

No pics because Ill be tied up with work for the next few days, sorry.

I'm probably the most patient collector of Macross Chronicals since I usually wait until my friend makes one of his numerous trips to Japan. He isn't going back until around December, meaning that I won't see issue 6 until at least around Christmas.

The Memories 2050 book is out. Its 80% story digest with pictures, as well as a few pages of glossy colour pictures of Sheryl and Ranka and a few pages of sketches of the Frontier itself.

Nothing too mind blowing but nice enough.

No pics because Ill be tied up with work for the next few days, sorry.

There are a few tidbits of info as well.

Got my Frontier Memories book a few days ago also.

Disappointing if you are a Frontier mecha fan.

As has been mentioned, the bulk of the book is just an episode guide, with lots of stills from each episode.

Ther are a few nice painted pics which I think Kresphy has already scanned and posted.

The mecha section is only a few pages long, and contains only CG pics no line art. The majority of the CG pics have also been produced larger and clearer in the recent hobby mags and in the Frontier DVD booklets.

In fact some of the mecha pics in Frontier Memories, such as the pics of the Battle Frontier and Battle Galaxy are so small and dark as to be nearly worthless. The pics of the VF-25 with Armour and Super packs are tiny as well. Really, if you want larger clearer pics of the CG mecha, I’d recommend tracking down the last few issues of Hobby Japan and Great Mechanics DX as the image quality and size is far superior.

As previously mentioned, no mecha stats.

The only thing I found interesting in this book was the lineart of some of the Island 1 locations and the map showing wear they are located. Even this line art is printed too small.

I really hope we get a decent book focusing on the mecha of Frontier. With stats and lineart.

I miss TIAS books.

Graham

Disappointing if you are a Frontier mecha fan.

I got one myself yesterday and I have to agree as a mecha fan.

The story guide was ok and there is even a reference to "pine" cake and Ozma... how this might have caused the older fans to go "oh-oh~" in light of what happened to Focker and his pine salad.

Also picked up the December issue of Dengeki Hobby with the good article on a modified VF-25S. Too short though.

Graham, where can I find these lingering copies of Hobby Japan (November issue)? I can't seem to find them any more in HK?

I really hope we get a decent book focusing on the mecha of Frontier. With stats and lineart.

I miss TIAS books.

I would say for anybody who didn't get Frontier or had most of the plot go over their heads, 2059:Memories is the book for you. There are some technical and character notes (like ages), but those are fairly short. I may take a look at the VF-171 page. Big typo there though. They labeled Alto's VF-171EX as a "VF-25A Alto-type".

I also got my copy of Official File #1. More stuff on Frontier unfortunately. Mecha is hardly anything to speak of. Nice thing here is those of you who want a published Macross timeline should pick this guy up. It's got a short version covering the Stellar Republic years to Frontier.

It's surprising to read about typos in the Macross Chronicle :blink:

Has there ever been a case of the publisher issuing 'corrected pages' for such projects?

On another note, I've already started to separate my Chronicle files into 2 binders:

1 for Mechanics / Characters / Timeline / Special Sheets (Gallery)

2 for Technology / World Guide / Special Sheets (Songs, Goods , Making, Extra)

The way I see it, binder 2 will grow phat on its own as all the other toy-related sheets come in, and binder 1 will split in similar configuration to separate the various series: M + DYRL / II + 7 + Plus / D7 + Frontier

Later, binder 2 could split into Technology + World Guide / Special Sheets

It's surprising to read about typos in the Macross Chronicle :blink:

Has there ever been a case of the publisher issuing 'corrected pages' for such projects?

On another note, I've already started to separate my Chronicle files into 2 binders:

1 for Mechanics / Characters / Timeline / Special Sheets (Gallery)

2 for Technology / World Guide / Special Sheets (Songs, Goods , Making, Extra)

The way I see it, binder 2 will grow phat on its own as all the other toy-related sheets come in, and binder 1 will split in similar configuration to separate the various series: M + DYRL / II + 7 + Plus / D7 + Frontier

Later, binder 2 could split into Technology + World Guide / Special Sheets

Enh, I've only found one definite typo, and Azrael pointed out another possible one. Both are easily seen as mistakes, so I'm not too worried about anyone getting any misinformation.

As for organization, I just have one binder currently, but I've ordered another one. Issues 1~10 are going in the first one, and issues 11~20 will go in the second, and then I'll combine the contents after issue 20 comes out.

If I can keep my patience, that is...

• 2 weeks later...

Issue 10 looks to be a good one...

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-25S Messiah [YES!!!!]

* Queadol Magudomia 10107 [A Zentradi ship...? Which one?]

* ARMD

Character Sheet

* Ranka Lee

* Lynn Minmay

* People Aboard the Macross [Yotchan FTW!!!]

Gallery Sheet

* SDFM

Timeline Sheet

* "Shao Pai Long" Opens

* The Zentradi Disobey Orders

History Sheet

* Fire Bomber [bOMBAA!!!]

World Guide Sheet

* Macross 7 Fleet

Song Sheet

* Submarine Street / Kimi ni Todoke→

Goods Sheet

* Transformable Toys: SDF-1 Macross

Extra Sheet

* Staff List: Macross

Issue 10 looks to be a good one...

Mechanic Sheet

* Queadol Magudomia 10107 [A Zentradi ship...? Which one?]

Finally, the VF-25 Messiah appears at last. Naturally, we'll have to go through another VF-1-style process as they devote an issue to one variant at a time :)

Here's the ship they mention:

Queadol-Magdomilla Class Fleet Command Battleship

Finally, the VF-25 Messiah appears at last. Naturally, we'll have to go through another VF-1-style process as they devote an issue to one variant at a time :)

At least there are fewer variants for the 25 (Ozma's was the only 25S, right?). I'm terrified to see how many pages the VF-1A turns out to get...

Ah. Well, why didn't they just SAY it was the Kamjin ship? :p