Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

I just hope that Shinsen doesn't get so far behind with Frontier that they just decide to drop it. :(

Chris

Good luck waiting for Shinsen. They are currently clearing up last season's shows. They might get back to the show later on. I am not involved in it any more, so you might notice a change in translation style from episode 12 onwards either for the better or for the worse.

So, for those of you that are like me and really liked Shinsen subs, which group would you recomend trying....Lunar, GG, ect...

I really want to catch up with what's been happening. Please, any recommendations?

Chris

Lunar and GG are pretty much par in my opinion. GG might have an edge since they have the CC at their disposal. I like Lunar's phrasing better at times.

I'm still waiting for Shinsen,......still waiting......

waiting

Downloading Kei's......

I not giving up on Shinsen yet...

...must resist GG and Lunar.

Go back a couple of pages...one of the guys from Shinsen said that Frontier is currently on hiatus...

I hope they get back to it, but I'm currently downloading any XviD version that I come across.

Go back a couple of pages...one of the guys from Shinsen said that Frontier is currently on hiatus...

I hope they get back to it, but I'm currently downloading any XviD version that I come across.

I know I'm not supposed to ask for links, but I'd like to ask how many gg-reencodes to Xvid are out there? I've found only episodes 14 to 16 so far (downloading them as I type this).

I've downloaded all of gg's mkv files. I made the mistake of watching them on GOB player, so the subs weren't displayed properly (I also saw that comment about Ranka in Episode 17). But I took one of the gg members' advice on this thread and watched it using Classic Media Player with the CCCP and the subtitles were a huge improvement.

My other question is, is there a way to convert gg's mkv's into avi format without losing the intended formatting for the subs? I've tried using MKV2VOB, but while the video conversion is okay, the subs are not (the formatting of the subs are wrong).

I want the avi format because my wife and I watch MF on our PS3. (Shinsen Sub's avi's look phenomenal on the PS3 by the way! Thank God Sony didn't block out upscaling of video files!).

Appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!

I know I'm not supposed to ask for links, but I'd like to ask how many gg-reencodes to Xvid are out there? I've found only episodes 14 to 16 so far (downloading them as I type this).

That's all I've found, too...I got Lunar for 12 and 13, and I'm getting all of Kei for good measure. Thank goodness for my brand-new, only 1/5 full 500GB hard drive...

That's all I've found, too...I got Lunar for 12 and 13, and I'm getting all of Kei for good measure. Thank goodness for my brand-new, only 1/5 full 500GB hard drive...

Thanks!

I've got a question for the Lunar guys here (if they're here, that is): why is it that the PS3 cannot recognize your Xvid encodes? Is it because you encode them at 24 bit rates? That's the only difference I see between your encodes and Shinsen's.

Again, any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

Similar question---anyone know of a way to convert MKV's so they can be played on a 360, with subs? I've found several options that'll get audio and video (usually by making it an MP4, sometimes just putting the h.264 into an .avi without re-encoding) but I don't think any have working subs after that.

I'm frankly amazed no one's made a quick one-click "convert h.264 mkv's into a 360-playable format", based on how popular "certain download formats for anime" are.

Similar question---anyone know of a way to convert MKV's so they can be played on a 360, with subs? I've found several options that'll get audio and video (usually by making it an MP4, sometimes just putting the h.264 into an .avi without re-encoding) but I don't think any have working subs after that.

I'm frankly amazed no one's made a quick one-click "convert h.264 mkv's into a 360-playable format", based on how popular "certain download formats for anime" are.

Googling MKVs to 360 shows lots of results. But those instances don't seem to involve files with subs. This is why I'm a believer in hard-coding subs. Less headaches converting.

Ah---despite the name, xvid4PSP works perfect for what I need. It also seems that it can do "almost anything". It'll take Divx, AVI, MKV, OGG, Xvid etc, and convert it so that a PS3/360/Ipod can read it. It's by far the fastest way to hard encode subs onto a file. Frontier on an Ipod...

Now to convert more episodes. :)

Ah---despite the name, xvid4PSP works perfect for what I need. It also seems that it can do "almost anything". It'll take Divx, AVI, MKV, OGG, Xvid etc, and convert it so that a PS3/360/Ipod can read it. It's by far the fastest way to hard encode subs onto a file. Frontier on an Ipod...

Now to convert more episodes. :)

I've done a bit of research and I've come up with Xvid4PSP too! But here's the thing: it cannot read the ASS subs from MKV. At least, not in my experience.

Can you share how you managed to encode your Frontier episodes using this? Are you using the mkv-coded episodes? Which ones?

Thanks a lot!

I can't get encode360 to work, but it does extract the .ass files nicely, right before it gives me an error code. :)

MKVtool can "mostly" extract the .ass file----everything's fine except the font isn't quite what's specified.

And, you can always just get .ass files separately, from the people who make them. GG's are possibly the easiest to get. Yes, it may be redundant, but combining a subtitle file with a "subbed" MKV file is one of the better ways to make a hard-coded file.

::edit:: Problem. I can't extract Kei's subs from MKV's---which is a good chunk of my MF stuff, and I can't find anywhere that has Kei's .ass files by themselves for many eps. I've got 13 and 14, but that's about it. Ironically, GG's extract fine, but they can be found alone easily...

I've done a bit of research and I've come up with Xvid4PSP too! But here's the thing: it cannot read the ASS subs from MKV. At least, not in my experience.

Can you share how you managed to encode your Frontier episodes using this? Are you using the mkv-coded episodes? Which ones?

Thanks a lot!

Funny, I just stump across Xvid4PSP a few days ago. I wanted to make a Full 1080p HD hardsub of the Yack Deculture of Ep01 to read on my PS3 - and it actually worked very well.

It's actually quite simple. All you need is the "ffdshow video decoder"

First you need to extract the .ass file from the mkv file using MKVExtract.

Then you launch XVid4PSP, and open the video you want to encode.

In the bottom right of your screen there should be the ffdshow icon, double click on it, the goes to "Subtible" and be sure to check the box.

Under subtitle : choose "File" then select your .ass file. Now ffdshow will automatically add the subtitles to any video you play. You can check your video under XviD4PSP, you should see the subs in it.

Now you simple choose the codecs/format you want and encore the Video... and voilà ! You should have a beautiful video with hardsubs ! Don't forget to uncheck the subtitle box in the ffdshow filter after this :)

-Sergorn

Sergorn--are you able to extract Kei's subs? Those don't work using MKVextract for me. (They *seem* to extract ok---but Xvid4PSP can't use them, gives an error---all other extracted subs work fine) Getting Kei's .ass files directly works, so I don't think it's Xvid4PSP's issue----MKVextract just doesn't seem to be able to extract Kei's properly for some reason.

PS--on my PC at least, encoding via "turbo" is WAY faster than "ultra" and I don't see a quality difference (it's on like the 3rd compression by then if you're working from the MKV, there's no way you're going to get a really good picture after this much encoding etc---if I could get non-torrent raws of the right specs I could do better). For ep 14, turbo took ~20 mins to encode, and was 472mb in size. Ultra made ep 14 only 328mb in size, but took over an hour. Unless you really need the end file as small as possible, go with turbo.

Funny, I just stump across Xvid4PSP a few days ago. I wanted to make a Full 1080p HD hardsub of the Yack Deculture of Ep01 to read on my PS3 - and it actually worked very well.

It's actually quite simple. All you need is the "ffdshow video decoder"

First you need to extract the .ass file from the mkv file using MKVExtract.

Then you launch XVid4PSP, and open the video you want to encode.

In the bottom right of your screen there should be the ffdshow icon, double click on it, the goes to "Subtible" and be sure to check the box.

Under subtitle : choose "File" then select your .ass file. Now ffdshow will automatically add the subtitles to any video you play. You can check your video under XviD4PSP, you should see the subs in it.

Now you simple choose the codecs/format you want and encore the Video... and voilà ! You should have a beautiful video with hardsubs ! Don't forget to uncheck the subtitle box in the ffdshow filter after this :)

-Sergorn

Hey thanks! I'll try this right now! ^_^

Yo Sergorn!!!

You da man! I did exactly as you instructed, and it all worked! IT WORKED! I now have two episodes of gg's subs in mp4 version, WITH ALMOST NO QUALITY LOSS! COMPLETELY PLAYABLE ON PS3! I'll be encoding more episodes from here on out!

After splitting hairs searching around video forums, downloading almost every video encoder, subtitle encoder and muxer out there, yours was the solution that worked! No more MKV problems for me! W00T!

Let me say it again for you: YOU DA MAN!!! B))

No .avi file for episode 18 yet? :(

Oh yeah, any of you guys know what converter I can used to convert video files into PSP .mp4 files? I'm going to Nagano for conference next month and I want to bring my PSP so I can watched frontier on the trip.

No .avi file for episode 18 yet? :(

Oh yeah, any of you guys know what converter I can used to convert video files into PSP .mp4 files? I'm going to Nagano for conference next month and I want to bring my PSP so I can watched frontier on the trip.

Download Xvid2PSP and follow Sergorn's instructions above for soft subbed episodes! :lol:

Stay away from K-Lite, stick with CCCP. CCCP will play 99% of all anime releases.

As will K-lite. They're both good choices. K-lite just doesn't have the viral marketing. GG plays perfectly on my K-lite setup. Though let's not start that silly debate. ^_^

As for conversion discussion, it makes me glad I can just hook my laptop to my TV with VGA. Simple, quick, perfect quality.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Download Xvid2PSP and follow Sergorn's instructions above for soft subbed episodes! :lol:

Wow, it works, thanks :lol: I just tried it with Lunar's avi and the resolution is quite good. Now I'll try with the rest of the episode.

Btw, why Lunar keep using 'reflex' instead of 'reaction'? <_<

Is there a representative from Lunar Subs that is posting in this thread?

Btw, why Lunar keep using 'reflex' instead of 'reaction'? <_<

That's pretty much why I'm asking.

EDIT

I registered on Lunar forums and posted a topic about it. Hopefully it's something they will consider correcting.

Edited by Mr March

Is there a representative from Lunar Subs that is posting in this thread?

That's pretty much why I'm asking.

EDIT

I registered on Lunar forums and posted a topic about it. Hopefully it's something they will consider correcting.

Could you also asked them about the usage of 'convoy'? Everytime I read that, Optimus Prime came into my mind, ruining my Macross mood. :lol: