Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

I think we are spoiled now.. All the fansubs I see are great. 5 years ago, there were MANY terrible subs that actually made it to DVD. (usually fansubs that became HK bootlegs)

I tried Xvid4PSP. Looks slick. Took 9 hour overnight to make an PS3 format mp4 out of SA Delculture ep1. It did the hard subs alright but the output was 1/4 the size of HD original and the video was pixelated crap. I used the built in setting for PS3. What settings did those of you who got it to work use?

I think we are spoiled now.. All the fansubs I see are great. 5 years ago, there were MANY terrible subs that actually made it to DVD. (usually fansubs that became HK bootlegs)

Holy dropping from the hory froating head, he's back, welcome back A1. Now just behave yourself this time, lol.

Welcome back, now we can wait for AgentOne to review MF :)

I tried Xvid4PSP. Looks slick. Took 9 hour overnight to make an PS3 format mp4 out of SA Delculture ep1. It did the hard subs alright but the output was 1/4 the size of HD original and the video was pixelated crap. I used the built in setting for PS3. What settings did those of you who got it to work use?

Well you need to chosse the PS3 format, but you also need to configure the Video Encoding : just choose custume and click on the small "E"

After you can just a encoding mode. The easiest way to go is to choose a "x pass size" The more pass you have, the better quality will be. With that you simply choose the size of your file.. basically if you put the same size as the original file, you should end up with a pretty close quality. With a too small file the video can become pixelated. I'm not sure why the SIZE of you video have been reduced though... that shouldn't happen unless you use a PSP ou Ipod profil :wacko:

(Note that I haven't had the time to check again, but I've read you need to use the "Main Profile" in "ACV Profile" for the encoding to work on the PS3. Audio should also be with CBR/AAC-LC/128 profil))

-Sergorn

Funny, I just stump across Xvid4PSP a few days ago. I wanted to make a Full 1080p HD hardsub of the Yack Deculture of Ep01 to read on my PS3 - and it actually worked very well.

It's actually quite simple. All you need is the "ffdshow video decoder"

First you need to extract the .ass file from the mkv file using MKVExtract.

Then you launch XVid4PSP, and open the video you want to encode.

In the bottom right of your screen there should be the ffdshow icon, double click on it, the goes to "Subtible" and be sure to check the box.

Under subtitle : choose "File" then select your .ass file. Now ffdshow will automatically add the subtitles to any video you play. You can check your video under XviD4PSP, you should see the subs in it.

Now you simple choose the codecs/format you want and encore the Video... and voilà ! You should have a beautiful video with hardsubs ! Don't forget to uncheck the subtitle box in the ffdshow filter after this :)

-Sergorn

Dear God, THANK YOU Sergorn!

Your method works PERFECTLY and my Lunar Macross Frontier Subs are now display BEAUTIFULLY on my big screen TV through my PS3.

I'm still going to be buying Macross Frontier products, but I can't see how the imported DVDs will look (or sound) any better than this!

Thanks a ton!

Honestly, I've been very curious as to what Agent ONE thinks of Frontier.

Its great to see you guys!

The thumbnail version of the A1 take is, I really like it. I think they have created a show that the kids of today can enjoy without insulting the old guard fans. I am so thrilled that the Macross Franchise is pushing forward and gaining in value solidifying it as an icon in anime history.

I have read the criticism in regards to the fan service, and I just don't see the problem. Yes the girls in the show have boobs, and that is brought to our attention possibly more often than it really needs to, but whatever... In no way does it tarnish the characters or the story.

One issue I am really not decided on is the character cloning.

That's a LONG question/answer, and not for this thread. You'll figure it out soon enough.

The really short version (as I figure there's a lot of MW members here that have joined since Frontier started airing and don't know the story):

He was banned for a long time, but we've decided he's "served his time" and allowed him back, hoping he'll behave. The details on why/how etc are probably going to remain "known to mods only" unless Graham or Shawn decide to make it public.

So who is Agent ONE and why did he simply appear out of nowhere? :ph34r:

Is he the cancer, or the cure!

Anywho, on topic, what happened with Kei? I switched to his subs when Shinsen's release went dormant, and he's vanished!

Its great to see you guys!

The thumbnail version of the A1 take is, I really like it. I think they have created a show that the kids of today can enjoy without insulting the old guard fans. I am so thrilled that the Macross Franchise is pushing forward and gaining in value solidifying it as an icon in anime history.

I have read the criticism in regards to the fan service, and I just don't see the problem. Yes the girls in the show have boobs, and that is brought to our attention possibly more often than it really needs to, but whatever... In no way does it tarnish the characters or the story.

One issue I am really not decided on is the character cloning.

ZOMGBBQ!!!! :ph34r:

It's Agent ONE!!!! :o

Glad to have you back Agent ONE. Just like the others here I've been curious about what you have to say about Macross Frontier, since MOST of us already know your stand on M7. :p

@Duke Togo & David Hingtgen: Same here I've been wondering on what happened to Kei. Two episodes have gone by already. :( Anyways for now I'm alternating between GG and Lunar (*.avi only).

I hope Kei comeback soon. :)

Edited by grss1982

Ah, Agent One. I've missed your unique flavor of humor. Boards haven't been the same without you, so welcome back.

Getting back on topic, since AiA left the game, I've been in Lunar's camp. Yeah, they're usually the last of the early crowd, but I think they're worth the wait, and I prefer .avi files anyway, since I burn my files to discs. That way, I can watch in on my computer, my home theater computer, my 360, my PS3, or either of my DVD players, without any re-encoding or messing with soft subs.

Glad to have you back Agent ONE. Just like the others here I've been curious about what you have to say about Macross Frontier, since MOST of us already know your stand on M7. :p

He liked all the other shows to different degrees, I never thought he wasn't gonna like a finely crafted show like Frontier :ph34r:

Then again, there was too much of an issue with Macross 7. Kawamori doesn't like to do the same things over and over, and he never brought back main characters. At the end the legacy of Macross 7 it's mainly just another singer that saves the day, something that already defined Macross.

FV

Depends on the codec. VirtualDubMod (must be Mod, the regular one can't handle mkv at all, unless that's changed without my knowledge) isn't so hot at handling h.264. MKVtools is the best bet here. Guides at Doom9.org and even AMV guides at animemusicvideos.org can help.

I have had good results with ConvertXtoDVD software when converting .mkv to vob dvd s. I can add in .srt subtitle files to the dvd when using this software. Then I convert the dvd vob files back to xvid .avi files with AutoGK.

I have a problem between my raws & subs...

For ep 18 & 19, I downloaded raws first and then wit for GG subs.. but the problem is this, after a minute or so, the subs seem to be outta synch with the raws. I have no idea why, maybe it has gotta do with the missing 'sponsor' or 'thank you' screen. Are there any workarounds for this problem without downloading new raws?