Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

When the hell did the Ozma go up for pre-order on HLJ? I've been checking and it's been like 2 days since I last checked and now it's showing an order stop!!!

Chris

I am with you. Checked at lunch on Monday and nothing was there but checked at dinner on Tueday and it is stop order? :wacko:

I guess HLJ only took one pre-order and that person requested one hundred VF-25S to corner the market. :lol:

From the photo, that shop in Sofmap Akihabara has it all. DVD's, Music, and the VF-25. Wonder if the pile is still that large?

Looks like there will be a big secondary market for VF-25's. Talk about a new hit for Valk addicts.

Really hope that we see that electronic warfare version. B))

I can totally see online shops just jacking the prices on these things considerably since the show obviously was successful and the first model kit sold out like it were nothing.

Image Anime jacked up the price from a 49.99 pre ordering to now 60 flat and other sites listing pre order or sold out were close to 70. Pushing it pretty hard on that.

Yay!

I got it today. Right on schedule with SAL. It usually takes 10 working days (incl Sat) to the UK. This was my first experience with Rainbowten and it was a good one. Their site might be a bit spartan, but their emails are always friendly and they seem very eager to please. Good packing. No plastic bubble wrap, but regular newspaper (gives me something to read - I always wanted to know the price of a three seat sofa ^_^ ). The box was covered in big friendly handwritten letters FRAGILE. Pretty much flawless service. Will definitely shop there again. It's up there with hwjapan and HLJ.

As for the content. A big but very thin box. As usual the model is smaller than it appears on photos. That's just me I guess. For once Bandai did not have to cramp all the runners in there. Usually if you take the content out it is very hard to put it back in. Yes, there was space left for the fast packs (if only). A very luxurious looking manual. Can't wait to snap it together!

Good to know! I just placed a preorder for the Ozma VF-25S with them. They still have it at 3600 JPY and my EMS quote is 2800 JPY not to bad. I hope I get one, not sure if they order stop or anything. Does anyone know how that works with Rainbow 10?

Chris

I can totally see online shops just jacking the prices on these things considerably since the show obviously was successful and the first model kit sold out like it were nothing.

Image Anime jacked up the price from a 49.99 pre ordering to now 60 flat and other sites listing pre order or sold out were close to 70. Pushing it pretty hard on that.

That's easy to fix.. simple have every Macross fan in HK not buying any VF-25 until the prices come down...

1. They will reissue the molds to death since the sell was successful. But they'll be smart about it...

2. Bandai probably ( and I hope); eventually will find a way to get the product in the US. They are pushier and greedier than Hasegawa and AFAIK. Macross F has very little to do with the original Macross therefore copyright might not be so much of an issue...?

3. Great thing will come to those who wait. Eventually the prices will drop. and we'll find good market on Evilbuy

That's easy to fix.. simple have every Macross fan in HK not buying any VF-25 until the prices come down...

1. They will reissue the molds to death since the sell was successful. But they'll be smart about it...

2. Bandai probably ( and I hope); eventually will find a way to get the product in the US. They are pushier and greedier than Hasegawa and AFAIK. Macross F has very little to do with the original Macross therefore copyright might not be so much of an issue...?

3. Great thing will come to those who wait. Eventually the prices will drop. and we'll find good market on Evilbuy

best of luck to your plan on speculating on the macross model kit market. :lol:

Completed building up the VF-25F. Pretty awesome kit but lotsa small parts. Don't think I have the endurance to build another one....these things take alot of effort. >_<

Next....panel lines and decals. >_<

Comments on completed model: Fighter mode doesn't lock very well especially on the wing roots to the fuselage. Not sure why...might be some joints aren't in place. Gunpod requires an extra piece to attach it to below the fighter. Transformation to gerwalk and battroid was a non-hassle....can be done in 2-3 minutes in each mode. Battroid mode poses great with good proportions but not the most articulated of models. But not complaining. Nice thoughtful hinge on the crotch piece that allows the legs to be lower....the DX should use this mechanism to make the toy look much better.

Graham already went away searching for it in Japan...I am here still resisting buying online, and certainly not willing to pay more than the listed price for a "grey" import. Totally agree, Bandai WILL eventually release it in Hong Kong (maybe even in the US), but the problem is, I don't think I can wait that long...

Can I ask how much people are paying for this kit? including delivery?

The closer to Toronto, Canada would be of great help. There are several shops here that say they can get it in by Friday, but they want $74 CDN for it, I'm not sure if thats reasonable or did they jack it up. I assume with a full MSRP plus shipping and possible duties it could run up to around $70 CDN for it?

Thanks,

Wm

The closer to Toronto, Canada would be of great help. There are several shops here that say they can get it in by Friday, but they want $74 CDN for it, I'm not sure if thats reasonable or did they jack it up. I assume with a full MSRP plus shipping and possible duties it could run up to around $70 CDN for it?

Thanks,

Wm

I'm in SE U.S. shipped ems was a little below $60 a piece with the exchange rate, I guess.

I upload the image of VB-6 that image does not break off by folding of the paper!

e638106cb491513b.jpg

7590dd2166d5f2bf.jpg

ranka_mini.png

lanka_vb_6.png

Edited by yui1107

That'd be kind of fun to have, I'm sure those things are pretty big.

Thanks,

Wm

I paid 50 for the kit, and 10 for shipping 1-3 expediate.......now it's 60 dollars for the kit and probably another 10 for the shipping.

Damn, I could redecorate my room with all those no step and warning decals on that Monster.

Anyway, is that a new 1/100 Model or is it a reissued Monster toy with Frontier decals? I thought Yamato can't make frontier valks or this just a costum job?

I finished the snap build! :)

It is pretty complex with lots of small parts. Took quite some time with sanding. Hard work, but it looks good. Next up are paint and decals. I am a bit worried about the paint as the parts push into each other to keep the shape fixed. Especially in fighter mode. I might just leave it in battroid or gerwalk mode.

stiff_shoulder_joint.jpg

I stumbled upon one problem:

The shoulder joints that swivels the arms backwards into fighter mode are extremely stiff. It puts a lot of stress on the other parts while transforming. From what I can remember there was a little nub on them to make them stiffer. It tried separating the parts to sand the nubs off, but they are pretty much stuck together now. I eventually managed to loosen up the joints by repeatedly rotating them (with the arms and body detached and with a pin in the joint to act as a lever).

great job jarrod, that's one wonderful looking VF-25! Did you use the decals or the sticker sheet on those?

Also, I watched the whole 20 minutes on that promodeler website on panel linning, I get the jest o fit but I HAVE TOO apply some sort of a clear coat on the model first before I go and wash the parts? : / The only thing I"m gonna be able to find in my area is that Tamiya Clear Coat, is that gonna be alright?

great job jarrod, that's one wonderful looking VF-25! Did you use the decals or the sticker sheet on those?

Also, I watched the whole 20 minutes on that promodeler website on panel linning, I get the jest o fit but I HAVE TOO apply some sort of a clear coat on the model first before I go and wash the parts? : / The only thing I"m gonna be able to find in my area is that Tamiya Clear Coat, is that gonna be alright?

Where's this 20 minutes video thing?

My question is how the frack do i clear coat the model as it has so many moving parts and some parts are bound to be hidden by others while in one mode or the other. And will the clear coat form a "thick" layer causing parts that swivel/move have difficulty?

Where's this 20 minutes video thing?

My question is how the frack do i clear coat the model as it has so many moving parts and some parts are bound to be hidden by others while in one mode or the other. And will the clear coat form a "thick" layer causing parts that swivel/move have difficulty?

The 20-minute thing was on some website, the link is somewhere buried in this very thread....

Don't take my word, but for Bandai kits it is a good idea to paint the parts right out of the box (or right after you cut them out) since they're already color-sorted. Then, you leave out the grey parts (inner mechanism) out of the painting process from the start. Otherwise, you will have to engage in a complicated masking process. OF course, only if you have an airbrush, a spray-can won't do any good on an assembled model.

In Alto's VF-25, "flat" white may look even better than clear coat...

I stumbled upon one problem:

The shoulder joints that swivels the arms backwards into fighter mode are extremely stiff. It puts a lot of stress on the other parts while transforming. From what I can remember there was a little nub on them to make them stiffer. It tried separating the parts to sand the nubs off, but they are pretty much stuck together now. I eventually managed to loosen up the joints by repeatedly rotating them (with the arms and body detached and with a pin in the joint to act as a lever).

The long pegs that attach parts is how they stick together. There is a way to fix this. Sand or shave the pegs down to a point before you snap the pieces together. This will allow you to ease them apart should you need to.

, you notice that the builder shaves the pegs and does a test fit with the pieces of Calamity Gundam. You should do this as well. It makes things easier when you need to pull non-moving sections apart.

The long pegs that attach parts is how they stick together. There is a way to fix this. Sand or shave the pegs down to a point before you snap the pieces together. This will allow you to ease them apart should you need to.

, you notice that the builder shaves the pegs and does a test fit with the pieces of Calamity Gundam. You should do this as well. It makes things easier when you need to pull non-moving sections apart.

Thanks Azrael. Yes, I know about this trick. If there are too many pegs or if they are too long, then you cut them off diagonally. This reduces the 'stickyness' and makes it easier to disassemble the kit. For the VF-25 I did not find any parts that really needed this. What I was talking about was the connection between a joint axle & joint hole (~ peg + polycap). The axle has nubs on it to make the joint stiffer, but I think they overdid it.

I used decals...expect a full gallery and review in the next few days:) Also, I clearcoated after assembly and decals, but before the wash. However, I've often put a wash on straight plastic with no issues. An yes Tamiya Clear Coat should be fine.

And will the clear coat form a "thick" layer causing parts that swivel/move have difficulty?

For me, at least, the Testors' clear coat I put on had no adverse effects, and definitely did not creat a too think layer.

Jarrod, Is that your origional 1/48 VF-1J or did you make a 1/60?

Got the VF-25 yesterday, wow that is a box of parts.

Er...It's my original custom 1/72 Hasegawa VF-1 ...you can see a full gallery of it below in my sig.

Jarrod

I used decals...expect a full gallery and review in the next few days:) Also, I clearcoated after assembly and decals, but before the wash. However, I've often put a wash on straight plastic with no issues. An yes Tamiya Clear Coat should be fine.

Ah, I see, so I'm guessing since this is a transformable model kit afterall, to clear coat the parts after you clean them before putting it all together? Then I guess when you got certain pieces done, to either start decaling or washing the parts? OR decal AND THEN wash?

Then clear coat again to seal everything in place?