Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Plastic Models

Graham

I'd highly recommend buying an HG kit before attempting this, if you've never dealt with an MG level or higher modern Bandai kit.

Surely there's at least one Gundam mecha everyone likes enough to buy to try out before building their VF-25. Here's a good chunk of the modern kits that are small/cheap enough to practice/waste/sacrifice before you risk a $40+ VF-25.

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?word2=&se...0&SeriTxt1= "HGUC" are generally the most complex/newest and there's several good ones for under 1000Y.

So do you really think that Bandai underestimated the demand for this kit or did places like HLJ and Rainbowten under order? I find it hard to believe that the kit is out of production like the HLJ site says less than a week after it hit the shelves.

Steve

I don't see any point to someone buying an HG or better before doing the VF-25...

Bandai makes the snap kits on the assumption that the buyer has never put a model together before.

They are all extremely easy to do.

I don't have one yet, but from what I've seen, the only thing the kit really NEEDs, that gundams don't, is panel lining because it is sheer white.

And that's an easy (but time consuming) task too, if you look up how to do it correctly.

The only difference between an amateur modeler and a good modeler, before painting, is the sprue marks. A pro will fill the seams and sharpen edges.

One kit isn't going to make a difference.

If miriya can put together a glue kit, they can certainly put together a bandai kit just fine. ^_^

Edited by CosmicSpore

So do you really think that Bandai underestimated the demand for this kit or did places like HLJ and Rainbowten under order? I find it hard to believe that the kit is out of production like the HLJ site says less than a week after it hit the shelves.

Steve

It's not out of production. It just means that the initial stocks that were shipped from Bandai's factory have all sold out at the retailers. Another shipment is likely to hit the retailers in due time.

Any popular model kit can quickly go out of stock.

Edited by Vifam7

You can buy the Gundam MSM-04 Acguy, it was in Macross F (as a toy) :lol:

The Glaug is a pain to clean up. Painting the white on the darker parts is tough the first time too! - MT

I'd highly recommend buying an HG kit before attempting this, if you've never dealt with an MG level or higher modern Bandai kit.

Surely there's at least one Gundam mecha everyone likes enough to buy to try out before building their VF-25. Here's a good chunk of the modern kits that are small/cheap enough to practice/waste/sacrifice before you risk a $40+ VF-25.

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?word2=&se...0&SeriTxt1= "HGUC" are generally the most complex/newest and there's several good ones for under 1000Y.

Thanks for the reccomendation. I looked at all the kits on that list (long list) and narrowed to these four (that i like best aesthetically):

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN952243

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN951921

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN948833

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN934107

Only one is from HGUC but I like the first one best and may get that one to practice on and because I like the design. Reminds me of Ivanov from mac0....

I don't see any point to someone buying an HG or better before doing the VF-25...

Bandai makes the snap kits on the assumption that the buyer has never put a model together before.

They are all extremely easy to do.

I don't have one yet, but from what I've seen, the only thing the kit really NEEDs, that gundams don't, is panel lining because it is sheer white.

And that's an easy (but time consuming) task too, if you look up how to do it correctly.

The only difference between an amateur modeler and a good modeler, before painting, is the sprue marks. A pro will fill the seams and sharpen edges.

One kit isn't going to make a difference.

If miriya can put together a glue kit, they can certainly put together a bandai kit just fine. ^_^

Thanks for the reassurance. It is appreciated.

You can buy the Gundam MSM-04 Acguy, it was in Macross F (as a toy) :lol:

The Glaug is a pain to clean up. Painting the white on the darker parts is tough the first time too! - MT

Oh, that is a very cute little monster! Only $3 too!

The Glaug I am not painting. Panel lining and gundam markering for now. I acutally may just paint the windsheild and maybe even try to repair the seam that goes right down the middle of it! I am considering putting minmei guard decals on it too. Not sure yet.

Thanks for the reccomendation. I looked at all the kits on that list (long list) and narrowed to these four (that i like best aesthetically):

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN952243

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN951921

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN948833

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN934107

Only one is from HGUC but I like the first one best and may get that one to practice on and because I like the design. Reminds me of Ivanov from mac0....

If you're going to buy one of those for practice, I can NOT recommend the first one.

The 'Flag' gundams are completely unstable and poorly designed, in my opinion.

I have one and it can barely stand up without falling over. :angry:

I have the 1/100 Kyrios that I'm building right now, and it's awesome, but it has a lot of seam lines for some reason, but it's not a Master Grade, it's a No Grade, so that could explain it... ? Even though I paid $32 for it..... :wacko:

I'm not sure about that 1/144 one, but from the pics at HLJ it looks to be pretty good quality for an HG.

The other two I can't comment on because I don't have them.

If you REALLY want practice for the VF-25, look up tips on how to panel line like the pros do, and try it on the model that you buy, if you buy one for practice.

You might also want to invest in some professional modeling tools if you don't already have some, if you see yourself doing anymore models.

Sprue cutters and some tweezers (for stickers/decals) make a huge difference, if you're looking to minimize sprue marks and scratches.

If you're going to buy one of those for practice, I can NOT recommend the first one.

I have one and it can barely stand up without falling over. :angry: ...

...You might also want to invest in some professional modeling tools if you don't already have some, if you see yourself doing anymore models.

Sprue cutters and some tweezers (for stickers/decals) make a huge difference, if you're looking to minimize sprue marks and scratches.

Thanks again. I actually did just order that first kit. Good thing I got the action base with it. Thanks for the advice on the tools. I got some of that stuff already.

Edited by miriya

I have one and it can barely stand up without falling over. :angry:

I have the 1/100 Kyrios that I'm building right now, and it's awesome, but it has a lot of seam lines for some reason, but it's not a Master Grade, it's a No Grade, so that could explain it... ? Even though I paid $32 for it..... :wacko:

I'm not sure about that 1/144 one, but from the pics at HLJ it looks to be pretty good quality for an HG.

The other two I can't comment on because I don't have them.

If you REALLY want practice for the VF-25, look up tips on how to panel line like the pros do, and try it on the model that you buy, if you buy one for practice.

You might also want to invest in some professional modeling tools if you don't already have some, if you see yourself doing anymore models.

Well, I can personally attest that the Graham Custom Flag and the Overflag are prone to having loose joints - and fast enough, even after just a few posing with. the ordinary Flag itself does not seem to suffer as much. I guess the plastic used for the joints of the Graham/Overflag kits worns out easily.

HG Kyrios is good too, for a 1/144 kit, as well as the other HG 00 line.

Yeah, tools are a must, even if you don't plan on painting your kits, especially for Master Grade level models that can be given a "no-paint method" treatment. Basically this just involves sanding down the sprue marks and sealing all visible seam lines of the kits using modelling cement - do not use superglue except when you plan on painting, as superglue dries up with a darker color and will be visible. After sanding and sealing, apply a top coat, gloss or flat, whatever your fancy is, and voila, the model can now be put on display for all to see :D Of course, if you plan to paint, then you need to invest on more tools, especially a decent airbrush set...

For practice, try to get a hold of those ARII Macross kits or the Bandai reissues, in fact I recommend the two kits below:

Bandai 1/100 VF-1S Super Battroid Valkyrie

Bandai 1/100 VF-1S Super Valkyrie

The first kit is marked as discontinued at HLJ though, but I was lucky enough to have bought some from a local hobby shop here in the Philippines, and it's got really good proportions, unlike the 1/72 VF-1's that Bandai also released before. A bit of work on the joints though, as Bandai did not use polycaps on this one (plastic-to-plastic). The second kit is a parts-former version, some proportion issues especially in Battroid and Gerwalk, but Fighter mode looks really good.

Snap fit kits are like toys that you assemble. :p No need to 'train'.

Hmmm not really... if you want your kit to be at least half decent display pieces, you have to put some effort of sanding down the sprue marks, sealing seams, panel lining, etc. Sprue marks can ruin a kit's beauty especially if they stand out a lot, sort of like a sore thumb. And I think "Training" actually refers to the detailing part. I mean, snap-building is really easy enough, you just look at the manual for instructions for that. But for those who have no experience beyond snap-building, practice can make the difference between a well assembled kit and one that, well, really sucks :p

i'm hoping DALONG.NET would eventually get the bandai VF-25 so he can show any problems in assembling it...he has enough gundam models on the site to show which gundam model's joints are weak and how poseable the assembled models are...the site is a lot of help with assemling the models especially in the newer MG models like the Strike Freedom&Gundam Unicorn...

Valkyriepilot, what is the modeling cement and what is the technique for sealing bad seams? Are there any brands/links for the purchase of the right product that you would reccomend and any links for how-to on the seam filling? Thanks.

Hmmm not really... if you want your kit to be at least half decent display pieces, you have to put some effort of sanding down the sprue marks, sealing seams, panel lining, etc. Sprue marks can ruin a kit's beauty especially if they stand out a lot, sort of like a sore thumb. And I think "Training" actually refers to the detailing part. I mean, snap-building is really easy enough, you just look at the manual for instructions for that. But for those who have no experience beyond snap-building, practice can make the difference between a well assembled kit and one that, well, really sucks

Yeah but if you've built bandai gundam models before it's not that hard to assemble. Like it's not going to confuse you like a really hard jigsaw puzzle or make it so hard to understand that it takes hours of your time. You don't even have to glue anything.

All the other stuff will add extra time, but not enough to turn most people off from buying.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Basic seam-filling with glue:

You need a model cement that really liquifies the plastic. Generally, these are the thin watery ones that evaporate very quickly. Apply to the parts, and give the parts a good squeeze as you put them together. The plastic should liquify and ooze out of the joint a bit. Let it dry hard. (overnight if not longer IMHO). Then slice/sand/scrape the excess plastic away. Smooth out the seam as best you know how (probably sanding/polishing). The better you are at this, the better it'll look--to the point that the seam can be invisible, as there is nothing but their own plastic between the parts, welded to each other.

Thanks again David. Now I have to figure out weather or not I will have time to do seam filling or just basic snap fit as the fill method sounds extraordinarily time consuming. Maybe I will try this method with my glaug and see how long it takes.

thanks for the vid. i really want one now! where else can i buy this other than hlj?

Hobby Search (http://www.199.co.jp/eng) or RainbowTen. But most places are out of stock right now.

Watching the transformation vid made me cringe. Especially with the torso. It looked like he strained to get the cockpit-area folded in.

Damn, still no luck tracking down the elusive VF-25F kit here in HK.

I just went back to the model shop that last week had told me they would be getting it in today, only to be told that it has been delayed 1 more week until October 4. :(

Hong Kong is really getting shafted on these kits which is quite unusual. We usually get stuff ultra-fast.

I wonder if Bandai is following the licencing agreement and not offivcial exporting the kits to HK, so that only parallel imports will make their way to HK. Or perhaps Bandai HK thinks that HK people only like Guncrap (which is probably true for 99.99%).

Graham