Yamato V.S. Masterpiece

juise

Last year (maybe 06 actually) I picked up a Masterpiece VF-1J and I was far from impressed. The Macross bug has bit me once again, but I was so put off by the build quality of the Masterpiece VF-1J I'm having second thoughts. Are the Yamato's better? If so how? The plastic on the Masterpiece feels cheap and brittle, and the only die-cast is on the legs. Are the Yamatos any different? I'm considering trying to find a loose VF-1A. If I like the VF-1A I would then consider getting the 25th anniversary VF-1S, and YF-19.

Yamato vs Masterpiece? They're not even in the same league. Yamato's in the process of releasing a new 1/60 scale version of the VF-1 that features perfect transformation, so if I were you I'd wait for that come out.

Actually, scratch that; to totally blow your mind and expectations away pick up a 1/48 scale VF-1J with fast-paks TOMORROW. You'll throw that Masterpiece into a wall...

Er, yeah. The 1/48 Yamato beats the pants of the 'masterpieces'. Unfortunately for the masterpieces to become the 'collectors items' they're supposed to be we're going to have to wait a few years. Like fifty. By that time enough of them will have been thrown into walls to make them valuable.

Get yourself a 1J and GBP though. Seriously heavy lump of toy. :-)

Regarding the diecast, on a toy the size of the 1/48 you really don't want it for anything that will create a lot of weight on pivots (so the majority of the toy is plastic). They've kept the metal for load-bearing parts - the swing bar (nicely hidden) and landing gear, and parts that would otherwise be very fragile (the front landing gear doors).

Edited by winterdyne

I wold highly recommend getting a 1/48 + super pack parts. (because this way you can have the strike valkyrie or the super) Awesome details on the super/stirke packs. Just like the lineart and the covers are removable so if you watch the show when they are repairing the valks and arming them and whatnot you will appreciate all that stuff.

The 1/48 are PT, and complex. Maybe still more complex than the 1/60 so if you like details and complex toys these are great for display. If you are a fan of DYRL get the Roy VF-1S or Hikaru VF-1S (yellow and red trim respectively) or if you want a tv series valk get max and milia. The colour for those two is nice. And towards the end of the tv series when you see them armed to the teeth with missiles on the wings and super backpacks in robot mode fighting as a team it really defines what macross the tv series was about: the two races coming together to kill stuff and then mate to create half breed hybrids with stronger bones that allow them to be thrown around as babies without damaging them. (isn't that what the adv subtitles say when miria throws the baby across the room assured it wouldn't die if misa didn't catch it?)

But really get TV series Max and Miria (you get the extra set of tv series hands) and then maybe get roy or hikaru.

All the others are imo non-essential. (GBP might be attractive to get but not over the super/strike pack)

When the 1/60 come out who knows? Maybe prices for 1/48 might actually go up as people see larger size as more important to them than a few gimmicks? (would you say the alternator prime is necessarily more valued to transformer fans than the masterpiece prime? Alts in some ways are more detailed, but the actual size of MP has more presence when you see it displayed near the MP megatron fighting it out)

With the toynamis, sell them, and then use the cash to get the 1/60 macross plus valks. Hopefully this yf-21 that is coming will be problem free now that graham has mentioned the QC issue of first release yamato's is going to be addressed for future releases of valks. Still going to wait for reviews first though.. :D Macross unlike megazone 23 can't be supported with replacements (due to the Harmony Gold problem of no official help allowed to people outside japan for macross) so they need to be extra extra sure that the pieces aren't going to snap and limbs are tight for any valks. It's too expensive for the average joe to take risks (buying multiples of first releases) unlike smaller and cheaper toys where the shipping costs aren't too crazy and where a single piece getting damaged doesn't necesarily mean the whole toy is stuffed. (smaller toys are more common, easier to find replacement parts, and the stress is lessened when handling and transforming them)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yeah the cockpit details, will probably still be better than the 1/60 valks just because it's a bigger size. So that's why as a display piece it still has value to the collector who wants those things and is obsessed about the details more than simple transformations and super posability in battroid mode.

We are all going to be buying the bloody 1/60 for the two seater anyway, but that doesn't necessarily mean 1/48 can be thrown in the bin like so many who are whining will happen now that smaller toys of vf-1 are coming. Can you imagine trying to place the tiny dashboard sitckers on the 1/60 vf-1? That was hard enough for 1/48. Not everyone has the skill and patience to panel line and cut out tiny little stickers and then place them exactly without screwing up. Smaller toys will have problems with the smaller details being harder to see and generally looking less detailed compared to the bigger toy. It's inevitable.

Hell if I were given a choice between owning a 1/48 VF-1D vs a 1/60 VF-1D I would go the bigger version. (assuming they each had equal gimmicks and features) 1/48 still has its place in a collectors shelf of toys. Especially those who have the room for it.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The die cast on the 1/48 is where it counts, right where the swing bar is for the legs (which gets hit the hardest in terms of articulation) and the landing gear. It's good. It's a premium VF-1.

As some people have mentioned, the masterpiece can't compete with a yamato 1/48. It has working flaps, airbrakes, an opening cockpit, removable covers for the air intakes, a heatshield that tucks away, hidden swing bars, fast packs with an insane amount of internal detail. The list goes on. If you want a display piece definitely go for the 1/48. You can even play with it as long as your not too rough, as contrary to what a lot of people thing, it really is not that fragile. Just watch out for that backpack hinge.

If your looking for something that's more of a toy, go for a 1/55. It's build like a brick and it still looks pretty good for a 25 year old design. It is also really fun to play with. When I get the urge to play with a transforming toy I reach for my 1/55 reissue before my 1/48s. 25 years the 1/55 is still one of my favorite toys.

Edited by GobotFool

Last year (maybe 06 actually) I picked up a Masterpiece VF-1J and I was far from impressed. The Macross bug has bit me once again, but I was so put off by the build quality of the Masterpiece VF-1J I'm having second thoughts. Are the Yamato's better? If so how? The plastic on the Masterpiece feels cheap and brittle, and the only die-cast is on the legs. Are the Yamatos any different? I'm considering trying to find a loose VF-1A. If I like the VF-1A I would then consider getting the 25th anniversary VF-1S, and YF-19.

i did the exact same thing, i bought a MP VF-1J thinking it would be great, only to find out it was a total POS.

luckly i got a 1/48 and it changed my life. all of the sudden the sky was bluer, the everything tasted better, my cock got bigger, it was amazing.

Wow thanks for all the info guys. Now I'm really pissed that I missed the chance to get a 1/48th yamato for $50 not once but 3 times this week! One of them even had the armor pack!

Edited by juise

Wow thanks for all the info guys. Now I'm really pissed that I missed the chance to get a 1/48th yamato for $50 not once but 3 times this week! One of them even had the armor pack!

You might want to take a look at these pictures (for better reference) before purchasing anything. The largest valkyrie amongst these group pictures is the fabled 1/48 (supposedly PT).

post-2246-1199983098_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1199983114_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1199983130_thumb.jpg

Make DAMN sure that it's not a Yamato 1/60 you're looking at before you buy. If it doesn't say 1/48 scale on the box, it's NOT a 1/48 you're looking at.

-Kyp

Can't beat Yamato yet in the valkyrie toy department for a combination of look, awesomeness, and originality. The only light-up thing the Yamato valkyries get is the fold-booster. Other than the occasional quality control issues and an engineering issue in the VF-0, Yamatos are excellent.

Until the new 1/60 VF-1 is released and met with approval, I'd say that you can't beat the 1/48 VF-1 in terms of quality when compared to other VF-1 toys. Although the original 1/55 VF-1 by takatoku and bandai is a classic and durable as hell. :) Just not as pretty as the new ones (not counting that toynami master-piece of crap).

Although the original 1/55 VF-1 by takatoku and bandai is a classic and durable as hell. :) Just not as pretty as the new ones .

It is too as pretty as a 1/48 :angry::(

*holding his chunky tightly against his chest sobbing and stroking the chunky*

:lol: I keep inadvertently hurting misterryno's feelings about the classic chunky-monkey, in Eugimon's omega pants*.

*See YF-21 thread for ridiculousness.

Also with the Yamato 1/48 or old 1/60, there are Fast Pack and strike packs available, as well as the GBP-1 full armor. Hell, with the 1/48, along with the normal canon scheme, there's an urban camouflage scheme as well as a woodland color scheme

Toynami is the best company ever, don't believe the hype!

<---- Jenius, never one to not live up to the way people paint him.

SHAMELESS PLUG - Click on the link in my sig to learn the whole truth and nothing but the truth (as completely tainted by my opinions)

Edited by jenius