Does the 1/48 line have a future?

Maximiria

It is the end of any future VFs from being in 1/48 scale, but not the end of the 1/48 VF-1 line. It will be forever immortalised as the biggest step in VF history in terms of sculpt and perfect transformation. Nothing can take that away from the 1/48 VF-1.

As for any hope of other VFs being in 1/48 scale being dashed, I blame EXO.

hopefully it will be lesser than 100USD (as far as i know, you can already get a 1/48 Valk at Toywave for 100USD)... i really don't mind starting all over again with the upcoming 1/60 if the price is significantly cheaper, especially when it has the improvements as stated.. :D

so tack on the 20% price hike that re-sellers charge, plus shipping and you're looking at 140-150 bucks a pop shipped?

I've never paid retail price for an item. From HK (Toy-Wave, Rainbow Ten, HobbySearch) their price points seems to always be below that of Yamato's advertised price. Only in the states do I see such a markup.

I sold my 1/48 Hikaru VF-1J and will be buying a 1/48 VF-1J Stealth. That will be the one and only 1/48 that I will have and keep. From here on out, it's 1/60's all the way! :D

-Kyp

I changed my mind, I decided to buy the VF-0S with Ghost Booster from HoHoHo Toys and the 2.5 inch flexistand from LOS on Ebay. If all goes well, I should have the VF-0S by Saturday since I paid the extra $10 for 2-3 day shipping via USPS. ^_^

I'm going with nothing but 1/60 scale for my Macross Valks from here on out! :D

-Kyp

I don't see the price of the valks going down that much. $100 Valks is not going to happen. If you look at it from a production standpoint they are not saving much of anything on production costs. How much less could it cost to produce a 1/60 than a 1/48? Not to mention that the current 1-60's that they do sell are by no means inexpensive. I would bet cold hard cash that a VF-1 with S&S parts would cost no less than $195.00 to my door.

I don't see the price of the valks going down that much. $100 Valks is not going to happen. If you look at it from a production standpoint they are not saving much of anything on production costs. How much less could it cost to produce a 1/60 than a 1/48? Not to mention that the current 1-60's that they do sell are by no means inexpensive. I would bet cold hard cash that a VF-1 with S&S parts would cost no less than $195.00 to my door.

1/60 VF-1's have diecast which costs more than plastic. everything is smaller so everything costs a little less and while it seems( size doesn't make a difference, it all adds up in the end otherwise they would not have said it'll be 10000 yen. ;)

if you're willing to pay the same price for a 1/60 FP than a 1/48 FP well then.....i'm not going to resort to name calling. :p

i cant see a set with FPs being more than $120 USD, and thats pretty steep. Closer to 100/110 Id think. U might pay more for a fighter with GBP oparts, since thats more plastic, but even a set with the fighter, FP's and GBP's shouldnt cost u much more than $160 or so at this scale.

Also i still plan on getting the last 48's i need. basically just a kakizaki and 2 FP sets. Ive given up trying to find a Hikky 1J with the TV fast packs at an affordable price.

Ugh, this debate drives me nuts.

Does the scale really matter all that much? The 1/48 line of VF-1 is AMAZING. If you have them, then keep them. They're good toys. So the YF-19, VF-0, SV-51, YF-21 and so on are in 1/60 scale. Is it really so important to have your VF-1s and VF-0s in the same scale?

Absolutely. I have over 200 model planes all to the same scale. I often show them for comparison. (and then they inevitably ask if they're to scale right I tell them that they are--no one ever wants to believe that planes actually do vary that much in size in relation to each other).

All my model fighter jets are 1/72, my airliners are 1/400. Having a 1/60 F-14 and a F-48 F-15 and a 1/72 F-16 would defeat the point. And my United Express regional jets SHOULD be utterly dwarfed by a United 747 jumbo.

Ugh, this debate drives me nuts.

Does the scale really matter all that much? The 1/48 line of VF-1 is AMAZING. If you have them, then keep them. They're good toys. So the YF-19, VF-0, SV-51, YF-21 and so on are in 1/60 scale. Is it really so important to have your VF-1s and VF-0s in the same scale?

I'm flabbergasted by this as well. When I first posted the news (you're welcome), I honestly expected the majority reaction to be mild bemusement ('who cares?') to outright anger. For me, bigger is generally better, and these new 1/60 toys just seem like crappier, cheaper knockoffs of the beautiful 1/48 toys, being made in order to squeeze a few more bucks out of us suckers. (yes, i know about the 'improvements'. spare me.) This just proves that I'm not in tune with the MacrossWorld mindset, I guess. The widespread excitement and cheering has caught me completely by surprise. :rolleyes:

i dont understand why it has to be one or the other. i plan to own both quite happily.

yup, I don't get why people would be upset, unless they were doing the whole "investment" thing. If you like your 1/48s (like me) good for you and if you want an in scale vf-1 to go with all the other yamato valks (like me) than good for you. No one is forcing anyone to buy these, or sell those or whatever. Just get what floats your fancy. For me, even with the low hanging arms, I think the 1/48 fighter mode is superior (based on the pics so far) to the new 1/60 and that happens to be the mode I like the best. But I also appreciate the increased posability and more anime accurate batroid mode of the new 1/60 so I plan on getting a few.

I like the 1/48 VF-1 line, and I love what I'm seeing of the 1/60 VF-1 rebuild. :D As long as the quality is good and they're sturdy, I might like them better than the 1/48. Especially the size saving me some space to display more and keep them in scale with the Q-rau, YF-19, and VF-0.

i dont understand why it has to be one or the other. i plan to own both quite happily.

100% agree why can't you have both and love both for what they are.

yup, I don't get why people would be upset, unless they were doing the whole "investment" thing. If you like your 1/48s (like me) good for you and if you want an in scale vf-1 to go with all the other yamato valks (like me) than good for you. No one is forcing anyone to buy these, or sell those or whatever. Just get what floats your fancy. For me, even with the low hanging arms, I think the 1/48 fighter mode is superior (based on the pics so far) to the new 1/60 and that happens to be the mode I like the best. But I also appreciate the increased posability and more anime accurate batroid mode of the new 1/60 so I plan on getting a few.

I think you hit the nail on the head, it's the "investment" thing. I think people are getting ticked off as they have just whatched their current 1/60's become devalued and feel the same "might" happen to the 1/48. I'm feel the same as eugimon I love my 1/48's and have no reason to get rid of them, but I also would like to have 1/60 VF's to go with the rest of the 1/60 line.

As for scale it is very important or they wouldn't even bother, the scale can give a sense of realism and consistancy in a collection. Also the trend is going smaller not larger as space is a concern to companies as it determins how much they can sell to any one customer as that customer has more room for displays if the scale is small. Figure lines such as the Gundam HCM Pro's at 1/200 scale are booming and price is a huge factor, why buy one toy when you can by three, four or more for the same cash outlay.

The 1/48's are a master piece and always will be, there big and well detailed and look great on display, but we don't know if it was from the start just a test bead for the new 1/60 line, but like a 69 mustang it's time is over, but it will always be a classic with much love from Macross fans and will always be remembered as the BIG valk.

im really excited abt the new 1/60 line....i know the 1/48 are far more superior in any angle.....but i really want to know is how Yamato gonna pull the new 1/60 line off vs the superior 1/48....price wise, quality, and some added gimmicks as well...i really want to see a pix comparison between the old 1/60..the new 1/60 and the 1/48s!!!

The source of irritation for me is not my 'investment' (I am not a toy investor; I have no illusions about recovering money spent on toys - I have an IRA for investment purposes). I'm irritated because I'm sick of VF-1's, and I'd like to see some really 'new' toys from Yamato. The resources being sunk into yet another 1/60 vf-1 line could be better used (IMO) on tackling large-scale destroids, bad guys, macross 2 mecha, macross 7 mecha, etc. Instead, Yamato keeps making more VF-1's, just smaller than before. Judging from your reactions, though, it may be a savvy business decision. Perhaps people would prefer to see VF-1 toys ad nauseum. I guess we'll find out once they're released. :lol:

The source of irritation for me is not my 'investment' (I am not a toy investor; I have no illusions about recovering money spent on toys - I have an IRA for investment purposes). I'm irritated because I'm sick of VF-1's, and I'd like to see some really 'new' toys from Yamato. The resources being sunk into yet another 1/60 vf-1 line could be better used (IMO) on tackling large-scale destroids, bad guys, macross 2 mecha, macross 7 mecha, etc. Instead, Yamato keeps making more VF-1's, just smaller than before. Judging from your reactions, though, it may be a savvy business decision. Perhaps people would prefer to see VF-1 toys ad nauseum. I guess we'll find out once they're released. :lol:

I agree that there are a lot of other mecha from macross that aren't getting any love that's for sure and I am disapointed that yamato and other companies don't seem to be concerned about them and that sucks. However I think that Yamato is playing the safe game of producing what they know will sell and don't seem to keen on taking the risk of producing the not so popular mecha. One day I'll have my VF-2SS even if I have to build it myself. :lol:

well, it could very well be that yamato doesn't have the license to do any more valks and they wanted to capitalize on the licenses they do still have. Without knowing what's going on with the licenses, it's pretty pointless to get upset over what yamato is choosing to release, imo. They may not have much or any choice in the matter.

well, it could very well be that yamato doesn't have the license to do any more valks and they wanted to capitalize on the licenses they do still have. Without knowing what's going on with the licenses, it's pretty pointless to get upset over what yamato is choosing to release, imo. They may not have much or any choice in the matter.

This I beleave is the whole trouble, the license issues need to be worked out once and for all.

I was really getting into the 1/60 line after reading this forum but since my dream of having a perfect vf-19 and yf-21 pair has been shot down I think I'll just get a couple of 1/48 and leave it at that.

I understand the 1/48 isn't perfect either and has no future but it IS nice and big, it's flaws are far less obvious than the 21, there are plenty of accessories and it's much more recognizable to the general public.

Ah.. what could have been..

To add to what eugimon says here, I don't see any reason as to why anybody should be upset at all... We are talking about toys here, which should be viewed as FUN. Why get upset in the name of fun? That would be counterproductive.

I've got all of the OG 1/60s including some doubles. I am an outright VF-1 whore. This news regarding updated 1/60 toys does not anger me in any way; rather, the question at hand is how I shall rid myself of my OLD ones?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

To add to what eugimon says here, I don't see any reason as to why anybody should be upset at all... We are talking about toys here, which should be viewed as FUN. Why get upset in the name of fun? That would be counterproductive.

I've got all of the OG 1/60s including some doubles. I am an outright VF-1 whore. This news regarding updated 1/60 toys does not anger me in any way; rather, the question at hand is how I shall rid myself of my OLD ones?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

apparantly FUN has a directly correlated with spending.. and for some people, who have invested a lot getting all the previous VF-1 types, and now yamato came up with a totally new line up of VF-1s.. now that's inevitably another pain the wallet..

i think nobody hates toys! heck, not me.. it's more of hating myself.. cause i know whether i like it or not, i might end up collecting these toys again.. :lol:

apparantly FUN has a directly correlated with spending.. and for some people, who have invested a lot getting all the previous VF-1 types, and now yamato came up with a totally new line up of VF-1s.. now that's inevitably another pain the wallet..

i think nobody hates toys! heck, not me.. it's more of hating myself.. cause i know whether i like it or not, i might end up collecting these toys again.. :lol:

It's a hobby. Whatttya gonna do?

well Yamato is in the Toy business ....they got the license for Macross so we can expect a lot of upcoming Macross goodies in the future..... :lol:

well its always nice to start from the begining again.....:lol:

Edited by mojacko

Of course, it is ridiculous to be annoyed by toys. It is equally ridiculous to be excited or happy about toys. Toys just don't matter in the big picture of things. But by posting to a TOY BBS, we are signaling that we are interested enough in toys to be excited or annoyed by them, despite the ridiculousness of it all. So let's dispense of that talk. :lol:

As for 'license issues', it's not my problem - it's Yamato's. Plenty of great toys get made every year by lots of companies who find ways around license issues. This kind of thinking ("we don't know the license issues, so therefore we can't have any opinion on which toys the Great Yamato makes") is silly. I'm confident that there are lots of great non-VF-1 toys that Yamato could acquire licenses for.

The reason Yamato is making more VF-1's is not because licenses prevent them from making other toys. The reason is that they believe there is significant consumer demand for more VF-1's, and they can make a profit by producing them. And, based on your posts, I believe they may very well be correct. Time will tell. But, I don't have to like it. :rolleyes: