Bandai Macross Frontier toys thread

valhary

I wouldn't doubt it... B))

It's funny how it bugs you that some people complain and think that being experts, but at the same time, you throw your degree around just to let people know who the experts is... pot... meet kettle... :rolleyes:

Looking at you how you've been the one (and only one) picking on about my profession, it comes across that you’re the one being bugged about it.

I just shared my views on a matter that I too also use to think like some fans, until I experienced a piece of the industry, which gave me a better understanding of the ones (Yamato, Bandai & etc) continuously trying to satisfy us fans. Sure their final product is never perfect, and sure it's great to give constructive feedback (And they want it) so they won't mess the next one up... but don't be a dick about it and believe they only exist to serve your universe.

well, it seems to me yamato was willing to sacrifice playability and even durability for the sake of being as true as possible to the art where Bandai is putting more of an emphasis on the "toy" qualities, because it's pretty obvious from the 1/72 model that they're perfectly capable of making an line art faithful version of the vf-25

True. Yamato aims at the older collector that searches for accuracy in any mode. Whilst Bandai's history is about aming for a wider market that wants long term playability, which includes the toy factor for young kids.

QFT.

The magazines have got to have something to talk about each month so bandai must show something in stages. Doesn't mean the final thing will look anything like it. They could be just pretending that's how far they are and in reality they've already finished it. :D What MW needs is a graham for bandai news. :D

"Ahh so greg, What can you tell us about the vf-25?"

Greg: "Once you see the final thing you won't be disapointed. I am playing with it now but can't show you anything. It's all very accurate to the lineart, it's going to cause you to upset your girlfriend, and everything locks together good and is virtually indestructible after I dropped it out the window and almost accidentally killed a small child with it. Diecast parts didn't have any paintchipping where the toy hit the floor either. I'm selling all my toys on ebay now to buy multiples."

I don't know what QFT means, I try to keep up on all the acronyms and I know many but this one I do not.

I know we have no idea what the final will look like, I have been saying that for weeks. I'm one of the people that sincerely believes Bandai will actually do a good job. I'm just saying that in the end I don't really care if it is not perfect as long as I get a VF-25 that I can admire.

Heheh, very nice.

Looking at you how you've been the one (and only one) picking on about my profession, it comes across that you’re the one being bugged about it.

I just shared my views on a matter that I too also use to think like some fans, until I experienced a piece of the industry, which gave me a better understanding of the ones (Yamato, Bandai & etc) continuously trying to satisfy us fans. Sure their final product is never perfect, and sure it's great to give constructive feedback (And they want it) so they won't mess the next one up... but don't be a dick about it and believe they only exist to serve your universe.

Actually it was me that was trying to share my views and it was you that try to discount it by saying that we're all whiners and Bandai doesn't warrant critism. Then you go on about how you have better uderstanding of toys than anyone else as if we've never seen or invested money on them before. Then you called me a dick... haha... fail on all sides there. :rolleyes:

QFT= quoted for truth :D

Ah I see, the post makes more sense with that, either way though my point got across.

We have been discussing this stuff for 100 pages now.

Actually it was me that was trying to share my views and it was you that try to discount it by saying that we're all whiners and Bandai doesn't warrant critism. Then you go on about how you have better uderstanding of toys than anyone else as if we've never seen or invested money on them before. Then you called me a dick... haha... fail on all sides there. :rolleyes:

You gotta love those guys that think they can censor others because they have such a sensible point view, but shortly after they get all worked up and start discrediting people and calling names.

People who can't stand pluralism of ideas shouldn't join discussion boards and end up telling people what to think, what to feel or what to say about a matter that's opened for public discusson.

Lonely Boy, are you talking about OmegaBlue? I think all he said was "don't be a dick" which hardly qualifies as lashing out with name calling. Seemed to me OmegaBlue qualified his opinion with a background and stood by his opinion. Who is having the issue with pluralism of ideas? Seems more to me that Exo is just unduly peeved about some perceived elitism. Maybe I missed an angry diatribe somewhere though so if I did my bad.

Lonely Boy, are you talking about OmegaBlue? I think all he said was "don't be a dick" which hardly qualifies as lashing out with name calling. Seemed to me OmegaBlue qualified his opinion with a background and stood by his opinion. Who is having the issue with pluralism of ideas? Seems more to me that Exo is just unduly peeved about some perceived elitism. Maybe I missed an angry diatribe somewhere though so if I did my bad.

WOW, now there's an unbiased party to the rescue! :rolleyes:

Well, EXO and Omegablue both made valid points. Omega gave us a glimpse of a point-of-view of designers and manufacturers (which we do need to know about as well), while EXO's gave a consumer's point-of-view. Both aren't representative of the whole but both did present some arguments that ring true. Could we focus on those and get along?

There's been quite a bit of "Bandai is going to make it awesome, they have a history of making awesomely complex transformable toys, forget their past history with macross because now is now and go with what they've done recently. And people who don't think it will turn out well are Yamato fanboys." There has been a fair share of "Bandai has a history of not giving a crap about Macross in the past, I don't know how this is going to turn out."

With the current price point, these 1/60 VF-25s aren't what I would consider to be priced for kids. I know what we've seen have been prototypes, but they've looked wonky and out of proportion. With as much experience as Bandai is supposed to have with transforming toys, I'm disappointed with what they've shown.

I love some of the stuff Bandai puts out, and know they are capable of putting out top notch toys. What they've shown looks like a step above the old Yamato 1/72 valkyries, but not quite as good as the version-1 1/60VF-1.

Also, maybe you should go to engineering school, and then make your own toys to your own expected standards in what most of us call reality. Or how about you apply for a job at Bandai and show them how to do it? Maybe you're the missing link in between a good toy and great toy? :p

EXO has done pretty good for an amateur:

dsc0469bz1.jpg

Edited by hirohawa

There's been quite a bit of "Bandai is going to make it awesome, they have a history of making awesomely complex transformable toys, forget their past history with macross because now is now and go with what they've done recently. And people who don't think it will turn out well are Yamato fanboys." There has been a fair share of "Bandai has a history of not giving a crap about Macross in the past, I don't know how this is going to turn out."

With the current price point, these 1/60 VF-25s aren't what I would consider to be priced for kids. I know what we've seen have been prototypes, but they've looked wonky and out of proportion. With as much experience as Bandai is supposed to have with transforming toys, I'm disappointed with what they've shown.

I love some of the stuff Bandai puts out, and know they are capable of putting out top notch toys. What they've shown looks like a step above the old Yamato 1/72 valkyries, but not quite as good as the version-1 1/60VF-1.

True, and lack of updated prototypes is further fueling debates. Bandai's been making top-caliber collectible toys outside Macross and afaik this is the first time they'll give the Macross line the same treatment. Of course, when it comes to Macross stuff, Yamato proved themselves to be the king of the hill. Still, I do want more companies to vie for that title. If nothing else, it'll assure us that they'll keep churning out quality products so as not to be eaten by the competition.

In that, I don't see people who would hold out on these VF-25 Bandais as Yamato fanboys. Most likely, they want to wait and see how it goes. It also doesn't mean that they think of Bandai as being incompetent overall, only that they're benchmarking Bandai's first attempt at collectoble Macross stuff against Yamato's proven track record which isn't really a bad thing.

In that, I personally don't care who manufactures the figs, just as long as they're in scale and that overall quality's top-notch.

honestly im more excited on the upcoming chunky munkies with FP's.

so far no major improvements yet since the last time i visited this thread

true, most of the pics being posted here are the older prototypes :( it seems Bandai's getting very secretive on the progress of their VF-25 :(

look at those hideous elbow joints.

I understand what you mean here, unfortunately the elbows are anime accurate. Episode 17 have tons of close-ups and you can see them clearly.

snapshot20080731213945iy0.th.jpg

IMO VF-25 is not one of the more handsome one of the VF family.

I understand what you mean here, unfortunately the elbows are anime accurate. Episode 17 have tons of close-ups and you can see them clearly.

snapshot20080731213945iy0.th.jpg

IMO VF-25 is not one of the more handsome one of the VF family.

figures, they take the ugliest, most utilitarian part of the design and decide to be slavishly accurate to just that part. ^_^

Didn't the VF-0 actually have swing bars and yet yamato went for the small arm in the middle? It seemed like a weird choice but it worked out. I still feel like aesthetically this version of the VF-25 look a little bit on the meek side. I'm not trying to flame the situation with the other guy... Just an overall observation of the toy.

yes, the yamato vf-0 isn't slavishly accurate either, the animation does have swing bars, not unsimilar to the old chunky monkey toys. The part of the yamato that unfolds to allow the head to come free, that's the part that swings the legs down in the anime.