The Transformers 2 Thread--A Michael Bay thread

areaseven

Transformers 2  

238 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, what did you think of it?

• It was better than the first.
    • It was worse than the first.
    • Who cares?! Both movies suck!
    • Me Grimlock still want stomp Michael Bay!
  2. 2. How many times have you seen this film so far?

• Once. That's it.
    • 2-3 times.
    • 4-5 times.
    • I lost count.
    • Zero. I'll just rent it later this year.
    • Zero. You ain't paying me to watch that crap.
  3. 3. Given its current box office numbers, will this film eventually surpass The Dark Knight and/or Titanic in ticket sales?

• It'll overtake The Dark Knight, but that's it.
    • That ship is going down!
    • Not a chance.

It's been announced on Variety that the sequel to Transformers will have a projected release date of June 26, 2009. Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg are expected to return as director and executive producer, respectively. Writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman will return as well, and will be joined by Ehren Kruger (The Ring) in writing the screenplay (Source: Los Angeles Times). In addition, Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox and Peter Cullen will reprise their roles as Sam Witwicky, Mikaela Banes and Optimus Prime, respectively (Source: MTV Movies Blog).

What will we see in the sequel? Bay wants a transforming aircraft carrier. Orci and Kurtzman want Dinobots in as previous visitors to Earth. Producer Tom DeSanto wants Constructicons and Soundwave thrown in as well (Source: Wikipedia).

Production will begin sometime next year, despite the planned Hollywood Film Strike happening next June.

Now, to get the ball rolling, which Autobots/Decepticons do you want to see in the sequel?

Edited by areaseven

What will we see in the sequel? Bay wants a transforming aircraft carrier.

Two things about that bother me. Bay is still involved(we were lucky we got what robot characterization and mythos we did despite his involvement), and two, that's just a terrible idea.

They're rushing it cause of those stupid writer and actor strikes, so I'm looking forward to the movie but I'm worried it'll be just crap rolled together. What I'd like to NOT SEE is reusing of scenes, they did that during the decepticon gathering.

Transforming aircraft carrier? Like Broadside? I don't think thats a good idea either. ILM has 2 years to cook stuff up, and I have faith in their work. Lets just hope the liveaction parts are done well. And I hope there is less jump cuts in this one, but someone told me thats a staple of Michael Bay's work. Follow the 180 rule man, 180 rule.

Bay's webmaster says the leaked TF2 treatment (I assume its that one I read about, as I am avoiding reading it) was written by a professional, so it was a real treatment, but not one that they're going to use. At the very least I'd expect bits and pieces from it to appear in the actual movie.

What will we see in the sequel? Bay wants a transforming aircraft carrier. Orci and Kurtzman want Dinobots in as previous visitors to Earth. Producer Tom DeSanto wants Constructicons and Soundwave thrown in as well (Source: Wikipedia).
I don't think what DeSanto says matters anymore, because:

1. He was barely involved with the first movie and tried to get himself a writer's credit.

2. His treatment for the first movie was bloody awful. You guys think Bay's movie was bad? You've not seen DeSanto's original vision.

Hehehe - really, his treatment was awful... anybody want to read it? :D

Two things about that bother me. Bay is still involved(we were lucky we got what robot characterization and mythos we did despite his involvement), and two, that's just a terrible idea.
Why is that a bad idea? Tidal Wave was awesome. Doesn't this forum revolve around a series with a transforming space battleship? Edited by Fit For Natalie

It's fine for Macross to have been somewhat centered on a "big transforming space battleship." It was designed that way from the start!

Transformers? No, it wasn't like that from the start. They tried in the 80's to tack on gargantuan sized characters who never really did or could do anything. That and their toys didn't exactly sell well, compared to smaller stuff, say... Thundercrackers and Starscreams.

It's fine for Macross to have been somewhat centered on a "big transforming space battleship." It was designed that way from the start!

Transformers? No, it wasn't like that from the start. They tried in the 80's to tack on gargantuan sized characters who never really did or could do anything. That and their toys didn't exactly sell well, compared to smaller stuff, say... Thundercrackers and Starscreams.

I'm in agreement with the above, but I'll elaborate more.

I'm more concerned with the Hollywood Godzilla aspects of introducing a transforming aircraft carrier. We didn't get the Transformer characterization we did because of Bay, we got it *despite* Bay. And unfortunately look at how little it was. :( Seriously, we're lucky we got what we did. Throw a Hollywood Godzilla into the mix, and we'll get even less.

I find this whole thread amusing. When they announced the first film, everyone complained about how much it was going to suck. And lo, it kicked ass. So what do we do? Complain about how the sequel is going to suck...

And screw Broadside, Tidal Wave was freaking awesome. Didn't anyone but me play the Transformers game for the PS2 that was based on Armada? There's one whole level where you're running around in this big carrir, then at the end, there's a cutscene to Optimus Prime (at least it was Prime for me) running out as the ship transforms into Tidal Wave, and then he's a boss fight.

Tidal Wave was cool------because he was a combiner, not because he was a ship(s).

My only real request for the next movie: ZOOM OUT. Especially during transformations. Let me see the whole robot at least once, and the whole transformation at least once. The "best" transformations only showed Prime, Jazz, and Bonecrusher's rear bumpers while transforming.

I really liked the first transformers movie so I will give this next one a shot. I am actually quite looking forward to it. Even if the story sucks as long as the transformers look as good as they did or better than the first one I will be happy. I just love robots

Here's what I am hoping for:

(Using Bay logic)

Dinobots are what lead Megatron to the allspark, by accident. Optimus finds finds them, via weakass signal and brings them back to the present era. hilarity do ensue.

Starscream returns to Cybertron to give us more of a glimpse of their world. Finds Shockwave, and Soundwave and mobilizes for a counter offensive.

Meanwhile Megatron/Galvatron reawakens with Allspark powers and crawls to shore and gives life to the Constructicons. They follow him back down to the trench, and repair and modify the rest of the deceptions. Maybe building a base.

Starsceam and CO. arrive and join up with Megatron. Perhaps a little in-fighing for time.

Shockwave gives the Constructions the "Combiner Key"

They still side with their creator.

Some city has something the Decepticons want. They attack.

Autobots fight back with military Quick response team.

They hold the line, but it ends "ESB" style.

A distress signal is sent.

This opens the way for TF3.

I've been plotting this since the movie came out. The only thing so far that has caught me by surprise is the "Bay" aircraft carrier. While that would make sense for the Decepticons, who favor military vehicles, It seems kind of recockulous.

Here's what I am hoping for:

(Using Bay logic)

Dinobots are what lead Megatron to the allspark, by accident. Optimus finds finds them, via weakass signal and brings them back to the present era. hilarity do ensue.

Starscream returns to Cybertron to give us more of a glimpse of their world. Finds Shockwave, and Soundwave and mobilizes for a counter offensive.

Meanwhile Megatron/Galvatron reawakens with Allspark powers and crawls to shore and gives life to the Constructicons. They follow him back down to the trench, and repair and modify the rest of the deceptions. Maybe building a base.

Starsceam and CO. arrive and join up with Megatron. Perhaps a little in-fighing for time.

Shockwave gives the Constructions the "Combiner Key"

They still side with their creator.

Some city has something the Decepticons want. They attack.

Autobots fight back with military Quick response team.

They hold the line, but it ends "ESB" style.

A distress signal is sent.

This opens the way for TF3.

I've been plotting this since the movie came out. The only thing so far that has caught me by surprise is the "Bay" aircraft carrier. While that would make sense for the Decepticons, who favor military vehicles, It seems kind of recockulous.

I really don't see the Dinobots ever turning up in the movie franchise. A big, tough, dumb Autobot with the name Grilmock, sure, but no Transformers that turn into robot dinosaurs. It doesn't fit with Bay's style. Likewise, as someone else already mentioned, gestalts also don't fit his style, so I think Brawl is the closest we're going to get to Devastator. Oh, and Bonecrusher... G1 Bonecrusher was a Constructicon.

Okay, I'll be the a--hole and say what Hollywood and Bay will most likely do: they're gonna give all the 'bots and 'cons new alt modes.

They might just tweak some of the higher profile ones (like Prime and Bumblebee). But it wouldn't surprise me at all if they completely redesigned the other bots.

Heck, they already established that whole reformatting deal in the first movie with Bumblebee.

And face it; it gives them a chance to shill out all-new products and toys to the masses.

three words for me to make the new movie more watchable: better robot designs. i watched the dvd and i still can't tell what the hell is going on in some shots.

Okay, I'll be the a--hole and say what Hollywood and Bay will most likely do: they're gonna give all the 'bots and 'cons new alt modes.

They might just tweak some of the higher profile ones (like Prime and Bumblebee). But it wouldn't surprise me at all if they completely redesigned the other bots.

Heck, they already established that whole reformatting deal in the first movie with Bumblebee.

And face it; it gives them a chance to shill out all-new products and toys to the masses.

Oh we knew that was a given from day one. However, Hasbro was probably the one that suggested it first.

three words for me to make the new movie more watchable: better robot designs. i watched the dvd and i still can't tell what the hell is going on in some shots.

Better designs would be great. Sorry, exposed joints don't equal a highly evolved war machine. Traditional designs ftw!

Side note: I loved how South Park ripped on Bay! That was hilarious!

I'll wait till we get a trailer before passing any judgement. However if Bay is directing this, I can just imagine over half of the film will be ultra close-ups of Primes lips (the face shield better stay closed in the sequel). What is his obsession with lips, i was expecting Prime at some time to swallow me in one gulp. From what i hear this is some mark of his movies. Well thats my 2 cents.

Cruel Angel's Thesis

edit: wrong word used

Edited by Cruel Angel's Thesis

they should have FANS like us design some robot sketches for them!

i have a couple of suggestions...

generic truck robot

generic tank robot

:ph34r:

it would be nice if they focused on the 'bots more this time around. not some TF cameo part 2.

the human cast friggin' annoys the hell outta me. and less flash, more substance please.

i really hope this can turn out to be a better movie.

:)

The movie sucked. Too hollywoody for me. Michael Bay didn't even want to do TF in the first place and isn't even a TF fan. Pat Lee and Furman should have a say in the TF franchise along with Hasbro and Takara.
You're gonna lose cred as a TF fan if you're seriously suggesting Pat Lee have anything more to do with Transformers. The man is a talentless hack who sponges off the hard work of other artists and then doesn't pay them, OR, he has Alex Milne (the guy who drew the Soundwave cover you posted in the other thread) ghost for him and then pay him a fraction of what Lee recieved as payment from Top Cow.

Plus, he has serious gaps in Transformers knowledge while Dreamwave was still in business, such as believing Sideswipe (his favourite character) died in the movie and that he wasn't sure if Beast Wars ever really worked.

Bay comments on Transformers 2, but its very little.

http://www.eonline.com/movies/reelgirl/det...a7&sid=reel

Here's what's important:

Q:So, where do you go with it? How do you up the stakes?

A:It's not about upping it. It's about still keeping the heart.

Q:Any new characters coming in?

A:Oh, yeah…a lot of fun stuff. I keep telling the writers, remember the heart and the magic, remember the heart and the magic. It's not about being bigger.

I take this to mean he doesn't want the sequel to be 'bigger', as is what is expected in a franchise sequel, but to keep on doing what was good, fun and what people enjoyed. In my opinion, 'heart and magic' would be the scene where the Autobots arrive to Earth - now *that's* a good sequence.

Bay comments on Transformers 2, but its very little.

I take this to mean he doesn't want the sequel to be 'bigger', as is what is expected in a franchise sequel, but to keep on doing what was good, fun and what people enjoyed. In my opinion, 'heart and magic' would be the scene where the Autobots arrive to Earth - now *that's* a good sequence.

You know, as much as I want to hate Michael Bay, he's made quite a bit of sense when it comes to how to tackle a Transformers movie. I agreed with him and his cohorts more often than not while going through the extras DVD, and I wasn't expecting that.

This bodes well, imo. Then again, Bay already knows he's getting huge explosions regardless(and as if it wasn't already blatantly obvious, the extras dvd really drives this home). Although that "heart and magic" better be in far larger transformer proportion than human this time.