Warhammer 40k

briscojr84

On 10/3/2023 at 3:29 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

The Lion?  Yup.  He's pretty much guaranteed to sell well.

Not just because the Dark Angels chapter are one of the most popular either, The Lion is a lot more likeable and heroic in the 41st millennium than he ever was in the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy.  He also didn't do nearly as much jobbing as Guilliman did on his return.

Kinda makes me wonder if we're going to get corresponding figures for the currently-active-in-the-story Daemon Primarchs like Angron, Magnus, Fulgrim, and Mortarion.  (Probably won't be too long before Russ, Vulkan, Corax, Dorn, Jaghatai, Lorgar, and Perturabo get off the dime either.  They won't ruin a good meme by confirming if Alpharius and Omegon are dead or not... even though the Heresy books kinda already did.)

If we see any other primarchs other then the current active 6, it will be in thier HH versions. Which isn't a bad thing. I doubt that any other loyalist or chaos primarchs will return to the 40k scene unless GW needs a serious hail mary for thier 40k brand, ie an actual End Times event. The symmetry is too good right now between the loyalist and chaos.  

39 minutes ago, Focslain said:

If we see any other primarchs other then the current active 6, it will be in thier HH versions. Which isn't a bad thing. I doubt that any other loyalist or chaos primarchs will return to the 40k scene unless GW needs a serious hail mary for thier 40k brand, ie an actual End Times event. The symmetry is too good right now between the loyalist and chaos.  

Hrm... from JOYTOY, and right now, sure.

In the future, I'd wager we'll be seeing a few more Primarchs coming out of the woodwork in the not-too-distant future and TBH I do kind of suspect they're headed toward a quiet End Times sort of event and the setting is actually getting somewhat less grimdark.

Spoiler

Chaos has made some serious story gains in the latest incarnation of the 13th Black Crusade.  Abaddon's forces were able to bring about the creation of a massive chain of warp rifts that split the galaxy in half and greatly expanded the area where Daemons and Chaos Space Marines can operate across the galaxy.  He's said to be preparing for his final march on Terra with the traitor primarchs at his back in much the same way that his gene-father Horus Lupercal did 10,000 years earlier.  All four traitor primarchs who are sworn to a single Chaos god - Angron, Fulgrim, Magnus, and Mortarion - are confirmed to be active in the galaxy again.  It's also been indicated that Lorgar, one of two Chaos Undivided traitor primarchs, is probably abroad and raising hell in the galaxy again so we can probably expect him to put in an appearance before too long.  The real sign of an End Times scenario for 40K will be if someone manages to get Siege of Terra MVP Perturabo to leave his daemon world Medrengard.

On the other hand, things are starting to look up for the Imperium.  Lord Commander Roboute Guilliman is up and about after 10,000 years of near-death in a stasis field via the help of the Eldar and a 10,000 year old Archmagos.  He is actively busting heads and fixing the Imperium's broken and ineffective government and directly attempting to make the galaxy a better and brighter place.  Now he also has Lion El'Jonson, the First Legion master and the #1 winningest general among the Primarchs in his corner who, despite having actually aged in the 10,000 years since the Horus Heresy and the Scouring, is seemingly no weaker for it and has taken a few thousand levels in kindness and good governance.  The Emperor himself has even become more active and interventionist, directly saving Guilliman and trying to meet with The Lion.  There's even been the suggestion that the Emperor is either finally starting to heal or is on the brink of transcending his mortal flesh and pulling a Sigmar maneuver by becoming a true god of order.

When you think about it, they're likely gradually moving towards setting up the 40K primarch rivalries along the same lines as the 30K ones that have dominated the Horus Heresy novel series.  We'll have four or five Chaos primarchs running around, and likely their opposite loyalist numbers too.  

Of the nine loyalist primarchs, four are confirmed to be alive or even unkillable, one unconfirmed dead, two confirmed dead, and two missing:

Roboute Guilliman, Lion El'Jonson, Vulkan, and Corvus Corax are confirmed to be alive and at least one technically unkillable.

Rogal Dorn is missing and believed dead.  Sanguinius and Ferrus Manus are both confirmed dead.

Jaghatai Khan and Leman Russ are missing, but believed to be alive.

Of the nine(ten) traitor primarchs, six are daemon primarchs and three(four) are dead.

Angron, Fulgrim, Lorgar Aurelian, Magnus the Red, Mortarion, and Perturabo are confirmed to be alive as daemons.

Horus, Night Haunter, Alpharius, and Omegon are dead.  It's possible, given some events in the Heresy, that Alpharius's body is walking around with someone else's soul in it.

I'm definitely picking up the Lion and Azrael (even if I’m not too kern on his Primaris redesign).

I think Rogal Dorn and Corvus Corax could be candidates for showing up next because someone needs to wield the Emperor's power claw.

Dorn seems to be more likely given the supposed state Corax is in. Plus the Black Templars seem to be popular (and also clad in black Power Armor).

On 10/5/2023 at 2:01 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Hrm... from JOYTOY, and right now, sure.

In the future, I'd wager we'll be seeing a few more Primarchs coming out of the woodwork in the not-too-distant future and TBH I do kind of suspect they're headed toward a quiet End Times sort of event and the setting is actually getting somewhat less grimdark.

Hide contents

Chaos has made some serious story gains in the latest incarnation of the 13th Black Crusade.  Abaddon's forces were able to bring about the creation of a massive chain of warp rifts that split the galaxy in half and greatly expanded the area where Daemons and Chaos Space Marines can operate across the galaxy.  He's said to be preparing for his final march on Terra with the traitor primarchs at his back in much the same way that his gene-father Horus Lupercal did 10,000 years earlier.  All four traitor primarchs who are sworn to a single Chaos god - Angron, Fulgrim, Magnus, and Mortarion - are confirmed to be active in the galaxy again.  It's also been indicated that Lorgar, one of two Chaos Undivided traitor primarchs, is probably abroad and raising hell in the galaxy again so we can probably expect him to put in an appearance before too long.  The real sign of an End Times scenario for 40K will be if someone manages to get Siege of Terra MVP Perturabo to leave his daemon world Medrengard.

On the other hand, things are starting to look up for the Imperium.  Lord Commander Roboute Guilliman is up and about after 10,000 years of near-death in a stasis field via the help of the Eldar and a 10,000 year old Archmagos.  He is actively busting heads and fixing the Imperium's broken and ineffective government and directly attempting to make the galaxy a better and brighter place.  Now he also has Lion El'Jonson, the First Legion master and the #1 winningest general among the Primarchs in his corner who, despite having actually aged in the 10,000 years since the Horus Heresy and the Scouring, is seemingly no weaker for it and has taken a few thousand levels in kindness and good governance.  The Emperor himself has even become more active and interventionist, directly saving Guilliman and trying to meet with The Lion.  There's even been the suggestion that the Emperor is either finally starting to heal or is on the brink of transcending his mortal flesh and pulling a Sigmar maneuver by becoming a true god of order.

When you think about it, they're likely gradually moving towards setting up the 40K primarch rivalries along the same lines as the 30K ones that have dominated the Horus Heresy novel series.  We'll have four or five Chaos primarchs running around, and likely their opposite loyalist numbers too.  

Of the nine loyalist primarchs, four are confirmed to be alive or even unkillable, one unconfirmed dead, two confirmed dead, and two missing:

Roboute Guilliman, Lion El'Jonson, Vulkan, and Corvus Corax are confirmed to be alive and at least one technically unkillable.

Rogal Dorn is missing and believed dead.  Sanguinius and Ferrus Manus are both confirmed dead.

Jaghatai Khan and Leman Russ are missing, but believed to be alive.

Of the nine(ten) traitor primarchs, six are daemon primarchs and three(four) are dead.

Angron, Fulgrim, Lorgar Aurelian, Magnus the Red, Mortarion, and Perturabo are confirmed to be alive as daemons.

Horus, Night Haunter, Alpharius, and Omegon are dead.  It's possible, given some events in the Heresy, that Alpharius's body is walking around with someone else's soul in it.

In what story does the emperor save Guilliman?  I am listening to the audiobooks of Warhammer 40000, since I seem to lack the time to read a book and I have started the Dawn of War story line and have read the Lion awakening story with great interest.  I am very curious as to how it will go down when the Lion meets up with the rest of the Dark Angels and he has to brow beat them into not killing or "purging" the fallen.

Twich

7 hours ago, twich said:

In what story does the emperor save Guilliman?

He doesn't, Guilliman is revived via Cawl and Ynaari help. Guilliman does becomes an avatar of the Emperor at one point, very briefly, which does save his bacon at that point. If that is the time he is referring to.

21 hours ago, twich said:

In what story does the emperor save Guilliman?  I am listening to the audiobooks of Warhammer 40000, since I seem to lack the time to read a book and I have started the Dawn of War story line and have read the Lion awakening story with great interest.  I am very curious as to how it will go down when the Lion meets up with the rest of the Dark Angels and he has to brow beat them into not killing or "purging" the fallen.

Twich

Third book in the Dark Imperium series.

Despite being an enormous Hope Spot for the Imperium as a whole, Guilliman spends a LOT of his post-resurrection time jobbing for Traitor Primarchs.  He's actually died TWICE so far. 

Spoiler

His first death came when the stasis field in the Temple of Correction was shut down to allow Cawl and Yvraine to heal him with the one-two punch of Ynnead's power and the Armor of Fate.

His second came at the hands of Mortarion and a disease called the Godblight that was tailored to kill Primarchs.  The Emperor possesses his body, resurrects him and fixes his armor, and then uses his body to deliver a beatdown so savage it destroys part of Nurgle's realm in the warp.  

The Lion, for his part, has gotten off comparatively lightly... introducing Angron to the Emperor's shield, face first, and generally having just woken up from an extraordinarily long powernap.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the Horis Heresy series is now on its second to last book after 17 years.

The End and The Death Part II dropped a few days ago. It was supposed to be the last book in the series but it seems like Dan Abnett couldn't get everything he wanted to into two volumes so it's going to end up being three.

19 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, the Horis Heresy series is now on its second to last book after 17 years.

The End and The Death Part II dropped a few days ago. It was supposed to be the last book in the series but it seems like Dan Abnett couldn't get everything he wanted to into two volumes so it's going to end up being three.

At the rate things are going, he's going to need all 19 of the geneseed organs to get that done.

39 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

At the rate things are going, he's going to need all 19 of the geneseed organs to get that done.

I don't know about that... the third and final volume of The End and The Death, the conclusion of the Siege of Terra portion of the series, is currently scheduled to be released next January. 

I'm guessing they will probably follow that up with a short series about the Scouring, the period where the loyalists counterattacked and ultimately drove the traitor forces into the Eye of Terror where they remained bottled up for the next 10 millennia.

Are there any hints in the book that Sanguinius might be coming back in 40k or is he dead for good?

From a miniature aspect it would be a good addition to the Imperium. The other missing loyalist Primarchs are, with the exception of a werewolf Leman Russ, pretty bland. :p

59 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Are there any hints in the book that Sanguinius might be coming back in 40k or is he dead for good?

In The End and The Death (Part II)?

Not that I've seen/read thus far... but I'm only about a quarter of the way into this admittedly quite long book.  

That said, I doubt there will be since the Horus Heresy series has thus far generally avoided discussing or depicting the far future implications of its current (M31) events.  There have been a few moments in the story of the Horus Heresy series where characters have been given a vision of the state of the 41st millennium, but it's never anything specific... just a general "here is the bad future that awaits the galaxy if _______ [happens/doesn't happen] intended to motivate someone to take a specific action.

Spoiler

Like how, at the start of the series, Erebus and the Chaos gods show a dying Horus a vision of the 41st millennium Imperium as a part of their ploy to convince him to rebel against the Emperor.

Or how a cabal of the galaxy's oldest surviving species working to thwart Chaos use a farseeing device to share a vision of the future where the Imperium's victory against Horus ultimately leads to Chaos successfully overtaking the galaxy with Alpharius and Omegon in order to recruit them to the cause of steering the events of the Heresy to ensure a specific outcome where the Chaos gods are forced to go all-in and Horus wins but Humanity quickly goes extinct and takes the Chaos gods with them.

Or how the Chaos gods ultimately turn Lorgar to their cause by showing him the Bad Future as part of an effort to convince him that Humanity will fall the way the Eldar did should they fail to embrace Chaos... which may be more of a half-truth than an outright lie as of The End and the Death.  

Spoiler

The ever-intensifying turmoil in the warp and deterioration of the barrier between realspace and the warp towards the end of the siege of the Imperial Palace heralds a fifth Chaos god's emergence... the Dark King.

Horus believes that the Dark King is his future/post-apotheosis self... evidence from other characters suggests that's probably not the case.  Whatever the truth of it is, it was enough to leave the traitor Fabricator General Kelbor-Hal screaming in unremitting horror.

The Horus Heresy series has jossed one particular theory about Sanguinius's return involving the Sanguinor.

Spoiler

Namely, that the Sanguinor is Sanguinius reborn or Sanguinius's soul returned from the dead.

The Sanguinor is really Sanguinius's body double from when he briefly served as the Emperor of the Imperium Secundus that Guilliman set up during the Heresy when he thought Terra had fallen.  He sacrificed himself and was lost in the warp saving the Blood Angels fleet from a Chaos incursion... growing wings as a result of warp exposure and kind of becoming the Blood Angels version of Kaldor Draigo, popping out of the warp at opportune moments to save the day.

That said, there are other theories about how Sanguinius might return despite being deader than dead.

The Emperor summoned the ghost/spirit of the dead Ferrus Manus as a part of his counterattack on the forces of Chaos in the webway in The Master of Mankind.  Some fans think he might summon Sanguinius's spirit the same way, and put it into The Angel.  It's a popular fan theory that, based on its abilities, The Angel was/is a prototype primarch which the Emperor decided was a bit over-the-top given its tendency to exceed its orders and massacre loyal Imperial subjects for being insufficiently devoted.

59 minutes ago, Scyla said:

From a miniature aspect it would be a good addition to the Imperium. The other missing loyalist Primarchs are, with the exception of a werewolf Leman Russ, pretty bland. :p

I guess it really depends on how many of them have harnessed the innate warp-based powers the Emperor designed into them in the intervening millennia...

Powered-up Corvus Corax was a monster made of shadows and knives that could turn into a huge flock of ravens able to tear space marines apart The Birds-style.  It was enough to make Lorgar, a daemon prince of Chaos Undivided, decide that discretion was the better part of valor and hide in his tower in Sicarus for millennia.

Of course, given that Big E has implied he can redeem the traitor primarchs... the door is potentially open to loyalist versions of traitor primarchs too.

4 hours ago, Scyla said:

While i am all in on the Tau , Commander Farsight, specifically. ( I know , I know, he's playing with fire{pun intended  :p} concerning the Dawn Sword.)
Nevertheless i do find Primarch Jaghatai Khan to be an interesting character , in design and concept. And i like his Chapters tactical  characteristics. 

Just finished The End and the Death (Part II)... and I have to say Joytoy's timing to introduce a Rogal Dorn figure could not possibly be worse. :rofl:

People joke about how boring Roboute Guilliman is... but he has nothing on Rogal Dorn now that Dorn's exploits officially include being so boring that Khorne gives up attempting to corrupt him in disgust.

The book has a lot of signature Dan Abnett touches... including some subtle references to the Bequin trilogy he's finishing up as the third in a trilogy of trilogies with Eisenhorn and Ravenor.  It's essentially all buildup to the big final fight of the Heresy, when Big E squares off against Horus... since they boarded Horus's flagship at the end of Part I and Part II's ending has Sanguinius's death...

Spoiler

... and Ollanius Pius talking the Emperor down from becoming a 5th Chaos god.

17 hours ago, Bolt said:

Nevertheless i do find Primarch Jaghatai Khan to be an interesting character , in design and concept. And i like his Chapters tactical  characteristics. 

He and his Legion are interesting characters in the story too... but criminally underutilized in the Heresy and 40K settings.  I suspect it's because of the unwise decision to go all-in on the "space Mongolian raiders" meme and have them speak stereotypical broken English whenever they have to talk to anyone who doesn't speak their native tongue... which is difficult to pull off in a way that doesn't sound racist.

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

He and his Legion are interesting characters in the story too... but criminally underutilized in the Heresy and 40K settings.  I suspect it's because of the unwise decision to go all-in on the "space Mongolian raiders" meme and have them speak stereotypical broken English whenever they have to talk to anyone who doesn't speak their native tongue... which is difficult to pull off in a way that doesn't sound racist.

That's unfortunate.

Another interesting chapter, IMO, are the Iron Hands. They sure got snuffed out of play quickly in the HH. They've evolved into quite the machine like Space Marines, since. 

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

That's unfortunate.

At the very least, when they do use Jaghatai and the White Scars they use them VERY well.

The 40K-era Hunt for Voldorius is pretty bad, mainly because its titular villain is about the most hilariously ineffective Chaos lord outside of the Ciaphas Cain series... but Heresy-era stories do them justice on the rare occasions they get a story.  Jaghatai's basically the one Imperial commander to make significant strategic gains during the siege when he retook the Lion's Gate starport and banished Mortarion, leaving the Death Guard leaderless.

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Another interesting chapter, IMO, are the Iron Hands. They sure got snuffed out of play quickly in the HH. They've evolved into quite the machine like Space Marines, since. 

As a legion, yeah... the Iron Hands get no love becuase they're mostly wiped out in the Isstvan V dropsite massacre. 

There are a few individual Iron Hands who play a fairly large role in the Heresy as part of ad hoc forces of Iron Hands, Salamanders, and Raven Guard who escaped the massacre and continued to operate behind enemy lines.  One of those groups that shows up multiple times is directly responsible for the existence of Primaris Marines in 40K.

Ferrus Manus gets a lengthy posthumous appearance in The End and the Death (Part II), when his ghost shows up to give Sanguinius what passes for a pep talk before his final fight with Horus.

20 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

At the very least, when they do use Jaghatai and the White Scars they use them VERY well.

There's a silver lining!

Thanks for the info. 

20 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Ferrus Manus gets a lengthy posthumous appearance in The End and the Death (Part II), when his ghost shows up to give Sanguinius what passes for a pep talk before his final fight with Horus.

Glad to hear he had another role to play, rather than being beheaded. 

51 minutes ago, Scyla said:

New Dark Angels miniatures:

IMG_9923.jpeg.537a6808961d4363357a275f09c4da96.jpeg

More previews here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/18/world-championships-of-warhammer-preview-all-the-reveals/

I hope JoyToys announces their versions soon.

48e24120-521b-458b-8e86-239f3edb22f7.jpg

I was actually a bit confused when Joy Toy announced the Dark Angels Blade Guard a few weeks back, forgive me if I'm wrong, as I haven't really kept up on all the lore changes since I played 2nd edition tabletop over 25 years ago, but the wiki still states that all Dark Angel's Veterans of the Deathwing outfit in Terminator armor like the above miniature (pictured in the quote).  So the JoyToy Deathwing Blade Guard would be non canonical (albeit pretty cool looking)?

Edited by levzloi

28 minutes ago, Bolt said:

IIRC, don't the Dark Angels have some dark secret in their past?

Pretty much any Space Marine Chapter from the First Founding (the original 20 pre-Heresy Legions) or the Second Founding (when the Legions were broken up into Chapters) has at least a few skeletons in their closet.

Of course, the Big One that more or less defined the Dark Angels as a Chapter from the game's 3rd Edition until very recently was the existence of The Fallen.  That roughly half of the First Legion "Dark Angels" including Primarch Lion El'Jonson's second-in-command Luther and the garrison force on the Dark Angels homeworld of Caliban he commanded ended up rebelling against the Imperium, that Caliban was destroyed in the loyal Dark Angels attempts to suppress the rebel faction, and that the rebels were subsequently scattered across time and space by warp shenanigans.  

Until the recent return of Lion El'Jonson, the Dark Angels were desperate to keep the Imperium at large from learning that half of the celebrated First Legion had once turned traitor and mercilessly hunting the traitor forces ("the Fallen") wherever they found them.  Their desperation to keep their shame from becoming known led them to hide it from even their recruits, with knowledge of the chapter's history being granted as one rose up the ranks.  They've attacked other Imperial forces to keep the Fallen from ending up in anyone else's hands too.

The Lion, upon his return, took a rather dim view of this and summarily pardoned most of the Fallen who had been deceived into betraying the Imperium by Luther.

Subsequent material has added quite a few more skeletons to the Dark Angels collective closet.  Especially in the Heresy era.

1 hour ago, levzloi said:

48e24120-521b-458b-8e86-239f3edb22f7.jpg

I was actually a bit confused when Joy Toy announced the Dark Angels Blade Guard a few weeks back, forgive me if I'm wrong, as I haven't really kept up on all the lore changes since I played 2nd edition tabletop over 25 years ago, but the wiki still states that all Dark Angel's Veterans of the Deathwing outfit in Terminator armor like the above miniature (pictured in the quote).  So the JoyToy Deathwing Blade Guard would be non canonical (albeit pretty cool looking)?

To my knowledge the 1st company being only comprised of Terminators  was true until the advent of the Primaris Marines.

Games Workshop even bundled some Bladeguard Veterans with the first release of the Lion as his honor guard, so they are official.

I would love to get a new Ezekiel mini. His pose for the 2nd edition mini is super iconic to me.

@Seto Kaiba I love that Primaris Asmodai is planting his sword in the helmet of a Fallen.

I wonder if there will be a rift between the Lion and the Dark Angels chapter given their stoic nature and strict policy regarding the Fallen (and the Lion's more lenient 40k character).

Edited by Scyla

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

@Seto Kaiba I love that Primaris Asmodai is planting his sword in the helmet of a Fallen.

I wonder if there will be a rift between the Lion and the Dark Angels chapter given their stoic nature and strict policy regarding the Fallen (and the Lion's more lenient 40k character).

He would... TTS absolutely had his number.  Asmodai is an arsehood who can't make anyone repent. :rofl:

After 10,000 years of paranoia and secrecy regarding the Fallen, I'm sure the modern Dark Angels leadership have some misgivings about the Lion's openness regarding the Chapter's history and his decision to pardon many of the Fallen.

Then again, I'd also wager they're not exactly queueing up to say as much to the Lion if they remember anything about his infamous Bad Boss tendencies from the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy eras.  The last non-primarch who tried to contradict the Lion got his head punched clean off.*  The one before that, well... they don't talk about him** or his right hand man.***

(Honestly, the best part of how the Dark Angels are presented in TTS is that it's barely an exaggeration.  They really were THAT paranoid and triggerhappy before the Lion returned.)

*Brother-Redemptor Nemiel, a Heresy-era chaplain who objected to the Lion's decision to violate the Nikaea Edict by ordering the reactivation of the Legion's Librarians in order to fight daemonic incursions on the Dark Angels flagship in the The Primarchs Horus Heresy anthology.

** Because it's Luther, the "arch-betrayer" whose falling out with the Lion was less violent but led to him being sent home to sit out the ENTIRE Great Crusade and Horus Heresy and eventually leading Caliban into open revolt against the Imperium.

*** Cypher.  Well, one of them anyway.   It's complicated.  REALLY complicated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

8C555FAC-E714-418F-8C33-13AC70AC4453.jpeg.224d641728b875b0a9f9769dc95ac3f8.jpeg

3EA0B293-A969-4E8C-9762-4A115BD65F6E.jpeg.414c67d466f36b7dfd8bc43c9445a1a7.jpeg

2B4D0DBA-BEDF-4817-A056-A4A486CFC7C2.jpeg.161ca87a0e046bc22eb949287539bd34.jpeg

FFDC7893-F58B-46B5-BC17-66EB20CC152B.jpeg.316e58956f2731e8f19fe634e98de46a.jpeg

D26EDA24-D4B2-4EB3-8775-A6D967AE5486.jpeg.e81b6e433835a344b02292dd128bcae0.jpeg

076F4EF3-98FD-4FCB-A29B-DCD1DE37005A.jpeg.762e4215d676f841e1fe3e798427f1a8.jpeg

Joy Toy 1/18 Sons of Horus Legion Figures.

Saw these earlier in an email from bbts. It was a bit high in the price for the basic dude. I am glad they finally got the pointy faces. I don’t really like the snub noses in the later space marines