GI Joe lurches towards live-action filmdom (i.e. G.I. Joe live action)

Due to being on an extras database, I was called to be in this movie, but I couldn't go in on the dates they wanted me for. Since I was never a GI Joe fan, it's no big deal for me to have missed out. It was under a codename when I was called, but I didn't know it was GI Joe until I did some searching for that codename online. I was actually kind of relieved it was GI Joe, because from the little bit they told me, I originally thought it might be for a new Matrix movie or something in that vein. :lol:

If the Trident sub actually is an Ohio, and it's realistic--best toy ever. If the Night Raven truly is classic-looking: best revised toy ever. I just REALLY hope they're "too scale with themselves" like the old toys were. Every Joe toy in the last 10 years is SD-kiddie style, all bulbous and 90% canopy. The old toys, while not always totally to scale, at least looked very realistic in many cases. (Notably the Night Raven, and almost any tank/boat/copter)

Night Raven had probably the best gimmicks/features of any toy plane I've ever owned. Landing gear, air brakes, missile pods, spoilers, etc. If they simply re-released the mold again, I'd be ecstatic. (But since it's "classic-looking" I think that discounts the possibility of a re-release)

I was never a big fan of GI Joe outside of the toys. I have very little knowledge of the story outside of the profiles printed on the outside of the packages and even then I barely remember it. So really I'm immune to childhood rape and perhaps even fanboyism in this case. Should be interesting lol.

If the Trident sub actually is an Ohio, and it's realistic--best toy ever. If the Night Raven truly is classic-looking: best revised toy ever. I just REALLY hope they're "too scale with themselves" like the old toys were. Every Joe toy in the last 10 years is SD-kiddie style, all bulbous and 90% canopy. The old toys, while not always totally to scale, at least looked very realistic in many cases. (Notably the Night Raven, and almost any tank/boat/copter)

Night Raven had probably the best gimmicks/features of any toy plane I've ever owned. Landing gear, air brakes, missile pods, spoilers, etc. If they simply re-released the mold again, I'd be ecstatic. (But since it's "classic-looking" I think that discounts the possibility of a re-release)

Agreed. You can definitely tell, by comparing the Thunderwing and Skystriker side by side. One, a F-22 derived craft with tiny wings and huge canopy, the other, a 1/32 Tomcat with enough room in the cockpit for 2 3.75" figures. A key battle/moment in the film is supposed to occur in a Night Raven. DESTRO and others on Hisstank who saw the preview clip at toyfair said its very reminscent of the old one. A few years back it was said the original Night Raven molds were lost in Brazil.

• 4 weeks later...

Not that I was particularly excited about this, especially after last year's movie that sort of resembled a Hasbro toy line, but I'm quickly falling into the 'No Joe' category myself. You round up a random bunch of U.S. soldiers from Iraq (or even native Iraqi security guys who half the time look as polished as a paintball team) and they'd look more colorful, diverse, and exciting than these costumes. I still don't get Hollywood and their love of black costumes for characters from comics/games/toys. Even if they HAD to have the accelerator suits in the story for whatever reason and they had to be black, you'd think they'd at least try to tease fans with more regular military outfits or maybe something that plays the slightest homage to an original costume (heck, Sideshow did it with their figure teaser using army surplus store outfits).

As for the more unique looking folk:

I know it might seem odd as a guy to complain, but is one of Cobra's diabolical plans to secretly wash all of Covergirl's clothes so that they shrink? I always pictured Covergirl as the type that would wheel herself out from under her Wolverine covered in grease and dirt, wearing a shirt and baggy BDU pants and you'd still think you just witnessed an angel appear. To me, she's the type that tries to hide some of her beauty so as to be more respected for her skill, not one who dolls herself up and finds the most flattering uniform she can. Aside from that personal peeve, I'm at least glad she's not in all black.

Dennis Quaid as Hawk worked for me from the first time I heard it.. just wish he didn't look so grumpy in all the pictures. And, for the love of whatever, if he's going to wear a leather jacket over his uniform, WHY does it also have to be black? While I was never big on the whole Hasbro reimaging Hawk a old, almost-younger-Ronald Reagan-esque brunette, but I sort of dug the whole bomber jacket look.

Stormshadow.... Disliked the costume from Reloaded, so it earns no more love here. I can understand him wanting a more modern look, especially since the whole 'pajama ninja' look is almost more 20th century fantasy than fact anyway, but one would actually fit in BETTER with a 'traditional' ninja outfit than what he's wearing. Back in the old comics, Stormshadow lived in a water tower on the roof of a fancy-schmancy upperclass Manhattan building and the doorman would greet him coming and going in his ninja outfit since Stormie had lead him to believe he frequently costume parties. With this costume, the doorman would instead greet him with a "Ah, welcome back, sir! Did you enjoy another one of those very weird Wachowski Brothers parties?"

Dennis Quaid as Hawk worked for me from the first time I heard it.. just wish he didn't look so grumpy in all the pictures. And, for the love of whatever, if he's going to wear a leather jacket over his uniform, WHY does it also have to be black? While I was never big on the whole Hasbro reimaging Hawk a old, almost-younger-Ronald Reagan-esque brunette, but I sort of dug the whole bomber jacket look.

Stormshadow.... Disliked the costume from Reloaded, so it earns no more love here. I can understand him wanting a more modern look, especially since the whole 'pajama ninja' look is almost more 20th century fantasy than fact anyway, but one would actually fit in BETTER with a 'traditional' ninja outfit than what he's wearing. Back in the old comics, Stormshadow lived in a water tower on the roof of a fancy-schmancy upperclass Manhattan building and the doorman would greet him coming and going in his ninja outfit since Stormie had lead him to believe he frequently costume parties. With this costume, the doorman would instead greet him with a "Ah, welcome back, sir! Did you enjoy another one of those very weird Wachowski Brothers parties?"

Agreed. There is speculation that Storm Shadow has a costume that is more iconic later in the film. I hope so. Reebok Ninja is a dissapointing look.

Quaid looks more like Flint, in a Halloween kind of way. Over at Hisstank, one of our members referred to him as Flawk. :D

I thought "Flint" the moment I saw him, too.

Anyways--I'm surprised/disappointed that I'm not liking the Baroness outfit that much. I actually think Scarlett's would work better for her.

Finally--hard to say, but I think the X-Men ones were more "realistic". There's just something about them that says "costumey"---as in Halloween/fetish.

I don't mind Storm Shadow's business suit/street clothes, but the battle suit....needs a stinkin mask.

And now Snake-Eyes in better light....I'm not liking the skin tight mask cuz I see his mouth almost too clearly.

Here's a link to Hiss Tank with the shots.

So are they gonna give Wayans' Stalker's beret or what (n/m, just found out he's Ripcord and not Stalker)? I agree that it would have been nice for them to add color to the costumes. Not Transformers the Movie colors with flames and such but some military gray, green, browns. They're starting to look like a ninja military team than a government military team.

I do hope that SS pop's a mack from under his Matrix coat.

Edited by baronv

Sigh. I love how "modernizing" in Hollywood just means putting everyone in black leather and latex. It was appropriate for Snake Eyes. Not so much for the rest of the characters, who are supposed to resemble the military more than Matrix rejects. I do wish they had worked in the classic color schemes.

Anyone see Snake Eyes' visor? Its not even ridged, the lines look drawn on, its basically flat! Its just clear see through plastic, and looks cheap up close.

I'm trying not to look too much at the Snake-eyes photos... it's the one costume we initially assumed was good looking and the more you look, the more problems you have. I'm wondering if the visor thing was simply the result of just either problems producing a good looking grill visor that could sustain any kind of rough-housing without getting warped or poking Mr. Park in the eyes and still look good on film. Still, much like someone said about the Baroness, I've seen well done fan costumes that did it. And seeing the half'n'half outfit is just killing me. He and Scarlett were two I'd forgive going a spandex or tight latex on, but it does really need to be one way or the other. He can still be 'Mr. Cool Ninja' and have a slightly baggier top. Heck, I really think all he'd need is some kind of vest or fuller webbing and the arms can be left as tight/rubbery as they are. I'm torn on the face (aside from the visor). One one hand the details of the face seem too wrong for Snake-eyes... the details almost make him more some modern Voldo from Soul Calibur...yet it also gives a really creepy vibe... and while that's not the Snake-eyes we know and love, it does work in terms of the creepy-sneaky guy who moves from shadow to shadow.

One the plus side, it's Ray Park underneath all that, which means we should see some fun action... and that's the reason he hold his katana correctly and not like some baseball bat like just about any non-Japanese (and, sadly, even some Japanese) actors do in shots.

I tried not to see Flint in Quaid's pictures... the beret almost immediately sends you that way, but I have no problem with Hawk wearing one. But you're right... not just the beret, but the black on top of camo, and even all the exaggerated looks... it's truly a 1980's Flint if he stayed in the military the past 25 years....

If they didn't want to go the route of overly colorful, almost silly outfits from the toys/cartoon, they should've looked at Predator. You had a half dozen or so spec ops guys. All wearing mostly realistic get ups with somewhat dull colors (nothing fancy), yet each one was unique in appearance and silhouette. People might laugh if you mention Predator as 'high art', but there's actually some costume design choices modern movie makers can learn from there....

I haven't seen many positive opinions in the various boards that have linked to these pictures.... even more an uproar than the Transformer pictures. Maybe... just maybe they're only so far into this that they can make a few changes. Of course, I'm more confident that I'll find the money and pull to make a sequel and reboot this series. :p

I find it ironic that the one character who SHOULD have a black latex/leather outfit doesn't really look that "iconic", especially compared to all the fan cosplay of her etc.

Are you talking about who I presume is supposed to be the Baroness? Where are her trademark spectacles? I half mistook her for a possible Lady Jaye. After all, everyone else is in black. You know there's something wrong with the costuming when characters aren't instantly recognizable. I wasn't even sure if Duke was Duke.

Wait-- I just realized that her sunglasses are supposed to be the modernized hip-cool replacement for her glasses. I presume they're prescription. But instead of looking book-ish librarian-hot, she just looks like another Matrix/Blade/Underworld refugee.

If they didn't want to go the route of overly colorful, almost silly outfits from the toys/cartoon, they should've looked at Predator. You had a half dozen or so spec ops guys. All wearing mostly realistic get ups with somewhat dull colors (nothing fancy), yet each one was unique in appearance and silhouette.

And I think it kind of silly they abandoned the opportunity to use the military colors the original designs used. A nice nod would have been to have Duke wear a bdu shirt in tan or desert camo and olive tactical pants and Covergirl in some sort of green jacket. Instead they seem intent on killing any color whatsoever on their characters, including having the Joes' camoflauge be that weird funky urban grey pattern. Now Quaid's just got a great look, but the Hawk/Flint/Fonzie costuming makes no sense.

And Ray Park looks a lot chunkier than I realized. Almost too chunky for Snake Eyes, who I usually imagine as being pretty trim. I'm sure the action will be good though.

Another blech for featuring the Hummer HX over a real all Humvee. One looks like something you go to war with. The other looks like something you take your trophy wife, 2.5 kids, and dog on a picnic with and pat yourself on the pack for having "roughed it".

Sadly The Transformers movie featured more passable Joes than it seem this movie will. Hopefully these shots aren't indicative of how the characters will look throughout the movie. If so, it would be very visually boring.

Edited by Sundown

You know, the responses thus far all but guarantee that this movie (and Star Trek) will be successful and revive their respective franchises, because it's more or less the reaction to early pics of Transformers.

:p

Edited by Fit For Natalie

You know, the responses thus far all but guarantee that this movie (and Star Trek) will be successful and revive their respective franchises, because it's more or less the reaction to early pics of Transformers.

:p

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Though I still have doubts as the movie goes storywise. I'm hoping it will be good, as I could care less how they dress up...it's just frakking' clothes.