Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

Maybe the Macross F announcement is just a clever scheme to get us to buy the anniversary DVDs and toys.

No, that would have happened anyway. As is, I'm fighting to convince myself that I don't need to spend $700 importing Macross 7...

wow... 2009 to wait for. I guess there will be more to come soon. Don't mess up. I hope it's not another tv game quality work. Macross zero was fantastic with it's way of presentation. I hope it will be more eye popping for this series.

Macross live!!!

No, that would have happened anyway. As is, I'm fighting to convince myself that I don't need to spend $700 importing Macross 7...

I know its aways nice to have the original DVD's, gods know i'm a sucker for that myself, but surely it would be better to (ahem, cough) download them with decent fan subs than to pay $700 for the full set on import? I am settling for d/l dvd rips with fan subs until a decent sub version comes out (probably the 50th anniversary at this rate!).

I know its aways nice to have the original DVD's, gods know i'm a sucker for that myself, but surely it would be better to (ahem, cough) download them with decent fan subs than to pay $700 for the full set on import? I am settling for d/l dvd rips with fan subs until a decent sub version comes out (probably the 50th anniversary at this rate!).

With our luck, we'll have to wait until the series enters the Public Domain. :(

Edited by The Shade

That would be great, the same way we had M+, then M7 in 1994.

Graham

Well Kawamori was not available for the beginning of this year with his "Genius Party" segment he was working on and Satelite is spending the greater portion of their resources on Kissdum at the moment.

I am fully expecting a made for TV movie ala Mac Plus in 2008 that ties into the new series (it's a marketing plan that worked for them with Mac 7), otherwise they just wasted a lot of effort and marketing money on a concert designed to rev up the Macross fanbase. that will go cold before the end of 2008.

I am expecting releases of the remastered shows as well as HD releases of them as well (personally hoping the delay in the HD releases is the addition of English subs to sidestep's HG's trademark on the name "Macross" to tap into the Western revenues).

If they consistently release the older productions on Home video and maybe release books with new content, they could create a slow burn marketing campaign that they can ramp up in the spring and summer of 2009.

It is entirely possible that they opted to wait to get a prime time slot to maximize the show's exposure, which would be smart. If they are taking their time to produce a movie quality show, it will pay off and put the 30th anniversary MSG behind the gun if their quality is status quo in comparison.

If they have a compelling story that all ages can enjoy, they will rekindled the Macross franchise, but only time will tell.

With our luck, we'll have to wait until the series enters the Public Domain. :(

Hey there The Shade, I was orginally getting torrents of Mac7 but I have done some digging and found a site with direct downloads of all 49 episodes with fansubs. (you have to register but its free and okay as far as i can tell) give it a try.

http://www.anime-eden.com/page/anime/macross7/series.html

quality is quite good considering.

hope this helps.

Oops, just realised this should have been directed at keith as he's the one about to spend $700 on Mac7 imports.

waytogo noobskillz on me!

Edited by vermillion01

Hey there The Shade, I was orginally getting torrents of Mac7 but I have done some digging and found a site with direct downloads of all 49 episodes with fansubs. (you have to register but its free and okay as far as i can tell) give it a try.

http://www.anime-eden.com/page/anime/macross7/series.html

quality is quite good considering.

Thanks for the link. There is music too for some anime.... Easy to use. ^_^

Thanks for the link. There is music too for some anime.... Easy to use. ^_^

Yup, orginal manga too. I wouldn't usually do the "donation" thing on sites like that, but the 'premium' stuff is definatly worth the $5 a month.. speed is twice what u get as a regular user, and waaaaaaaaay more choice too. I started Mac7 when i posted the link yesterday.. on the last two episodes now. (including encore!). Its one of my new favourate sites. :lol:

If it is 2009 I can see the parallel and it is kinda fun in that respect.

To take a year to produce a series means it'll either be very long or film quality animation.

The real question is how could they have convinced the sponsors to sit on their investments for over a year to release in 2009?!

Besides that, they could show SDFM AND Mac 7 and still have a lull between shows... :blink:

They ARE actually showing M7 on late-night reruns right now.

070923, 1:32 JST

Macross 25th Project

Macross 7 Remaster Box 2

It include 25th Concert Digest(マクロス25周年記念ライブ ダイジェスト)

^^

http://product.bandaivisual.co.jp/web_serv...em_no=BCBA-3050

BTW, some grapes from A.C.E.3 Official Blog

http://www.ace-game.jp/blog/archives/2007/09/ace34.html

今年末には、マクロス25周年作品の「マクロス フロンティア(仮)」が控えている。

MF will be realeased at the end of this year???????????????

I do not know where is the truth, HAHAHAHA~~~

- -

Edited by kresphy

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I actually think it is kind of cool that 2009 will see the release of a new Macross series, given the significance that year has in the Macross universe.

Imagine if the new series premieres on February 7th, 2009, for example.

Edited by Elektrix

070923, 1:32 JST

Macross 7 Remaster Box 2

http://product.bandaivisual.co.jp/web_serv...em_no=BCBA-3050

Wow the Mac 7 box set comes with a 24pg booklet of illustrations, much like the Mac Plus SE release had!

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I actually think it is kind of cool that 2009 will see the release of a new Macross series, given the significance that year has in the Macross universe.

Imagine if the new series premieres on February 7th, 2009, for example.

That would be kinda fun. I wonder if they'll do like they do here and show the two hour premier episode a few months before the series to get an audience "buzz" going?

I wouldn't put it past Studio Nue and Bigwest to try a series launch on 02/07/09 to commemorate SDFM. Technically the show would have premiered during the 25th anniversary year, but not the whole series... ;)

Edited by Zinjo

Wow the Mac 7 box set comes with a 24pg booklet of illustrations, much like the Mac Plus SE release had!

That would be kinda fun. I wonder if they'll do like they do here and show the two hour premier episode a few months before the series to get an audience "buzz" going?

I wouldn't put it past Studio Nue and Bigwest to try a series launch on 02/07/09 to commemorate SDFM. Technically the show would have premiered during the 25th anniversary year, but not the whole series... ;)

Or whichever Macross is planned for 09 commemorates the 25th anniversary of DYRL.

Has anyone considered the reason they've moved the release to 2009 is that they decided to start from scratch all over again in favor of a more polished product (valks, plot, staff, everything) ?

I mean, just compare the newtype scans to the pics taken from the anniversary concert (I know they're only early concepts), they don't match at all, not the characters style nor the valks. This can only mean they still don't have anything ready for production nor is anything set on stone yet.

I personally prefer to have the anniversary series released ASAP, but my impressions from what we've seen so far is that everything was being rushed, with no real evidence of a thorough development post-M0 (3 years and all they have is 2 pages of Kawamori's sketches and a unseen video that looks totally different from the article? WTH) . I was just watching M+ today and I was amazed when I started paying attention to everything, from the smallest of details to the whole depth of the universe depicted in the OVAS/movie , I mean, they really put a lot of effort into the constructing a believable setting, you really felt like it was 30 years from SW1, and so far, I'm not getting the same vibes from Macross F.

I'm hoping this decision is a sign that they'll eventually gives us a production in the same level of Macross Plus once again, something that makes us proud when we see other people choke in their own drool as they stand in front of a screen featuring valkyries doing some itano circus or just kicking some ass as they usually do.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you're going to makes us wait till '09 then BRING HARUHIKO MIKIMOTO BACK!

Kawamori valks + Yoko Kanno music + Haruhiko Mikimoto style + Satelight CG = WIN

Anything less is just not worthy to be in the anniversary.

Edited by Aegis!

Or use Nobuteru Yuki and keep him from being uber-stylistic like he was with Escaflowne (although the movie was much better character design-wise). More importantly, make sure to have a good animation team. The character design is worth jack if the animation team can't bring it to life.

I have high hopes for Macross Frontier. I'm hoping it'll be more of a Macross Plus than a Macross 7.

I kind of miss having the valkyries be non-3DCG. Although the little bit in M0 had me disappointed, since I was used to what they put out in M+.

I'm kind of glad it's going to be a little while so that should toys be made, we'll be able to get everything Yamato puts out from now until then.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you're going to makes us wait till '09 then BRING HARUHIKO MIKIMOTO BACK!

Kawamori valks + Yoko Kanno music + Haruhiko Mikimoto style + Satelight CG = WIN

Anything less is just not worthy to be in the anniversary.

Christ, this is the best "voicing of opinion" I have seen, read or heard about in years! Kudos to you, fellow MWer!!

I mean, just compare the newtype scans to the pics taken from the anniversary concert (I know they're only early concepts), they don't match at all, not the characters style nor the valks. This can only mean they still don't have anything ready for production nor is anything set on stone yet.

While I wouldn't be surprised if they delayed the series release to rework things, keep in mind the video shown at the 25th Anv. concert was over two minutes long. If they bothered to put together something that long, it's a pretty safe bet they're ready for production.

Furthermore, the discrepancy between the early designs seen in Newtype and the few designs we've seen in screenshots is easily explainable. First of all, the designs in Newtype were VERY rough. Secondly, designs usually see two designers. One who draws up the original design and one who reworks that design for animation.

I have high hopes for Macross Frontier. I'm hoping it'll be more of a Macross Plus than a Macross 7.

I know I'm one of the few Macross 7 lovers but I've never been a huge fan of the plot and development of Plus. While 7 obviously lacks the budget and has way too much singing in it, Plus lacks the length and depth for serious character/story development. In short I hope Frontier turns out to be like 7 but more action orientated and with a bigger budget.

While I wouldn't be surprised if they delayed the series release to rework things, keep in mind the video shown at the 25th Anv. concert was over two minutes long. If they bothered to put together something that long, it's a pretty safe bet they're ready for production.

In this day and age, that's not really saying very much. Two minutes isn't that long, and I think I've made longer home made animations than that. The animatics for movies like Star Wars III attest to quick turn arounds of quality animation.

Remember - it's been described as a pilot film. Pilot films sometimes are radically different from the final production. The pilot film for Nadia of the Mysterious Seas comes to mind. Character design, mecha, and fashions all changed.

Anyhow, starting from scratch is an intriguing idea, but I still firmly believe that the people behind it are busy. Hey, doesn't Shoki Kawamori have a movie coming out this month? I remember seeing a review in a how-anime/manga art is created, and his story boards for it (pretty neat seeing how they transformed it into CGA.

Hey, doesn't Shoki Kawamori have a movie coming out this month? I remember seeing a review in a how-anime/manga art is created, and his story boards for it (pretty neat seeing how they transformed it into CGA.

The preview animation could also be a red herring to keep any "relaunch" a surprise (assuming that's what's planned).

SK's Genius Party chapter is prolly due out very soon along with the rest of the anthology.

However, if they do indeed reboot the series it would probably allow them to distance themselves from Tatsunoko and that whole mess, refine the mythos and bring the show more inline with the Macross Zero, Plus and 7 (not that much would need to be done). Imagine if SDFM were to be given the 49 episode treatment Mac 7 had, how much more story could be told?

Intriguing idea, I guess we have 2 years to find out... :p

As for Mikimoto, I'm sure he'll be involved in some of the art work, particularly any DVD covers, but he's long since moved on from Macross projects, to be sure. However, if there is a reboot, I'd love for them to use his recent incarnation of Minmei. I really prefer it over the original character design.

Edited by Zinjo

What's the verb? I can read "This year" "Macross 25th Anniversary" and "Macross Frontier."

Its like "anticipating". It says Macross F is anticipated at the end of this Macross 25th anniversary year.

Furthermore, the discrepancy between the early designs seen in Newtype and the few designs we've seen in screenshots is easily explainable. First of all, the designs in Newtype were VERY rough. Secondly, designs usually see two designers. One who draws up the original design and one who reworks that design for animation.

Bingo. The sketches we saw in Newtype were probably pre-production sketches. Those images would be rather more indicative if the direction that we're heading as oppose to final sketches/line art. It is definitely NOT the final artwork.

It says Macross F is anticipated at the end of this Macross 25th anniversary year.

In other words....It's coming. Expect more news.