Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

In Newtype, there is the one page introduce article of Megumi, but there is no info about MF.

by Japanese Fans

-----------------------------

In Megumi's Blog, she writes her student life everyday, I figure the MF Voice Project is not start!

Edited by kresphy

Zinjo, Mikeszeckly - They would look at the cost/benefit ratio. The time and cost of licensing subs or getting new ones done, adding them to the discs (timing etc) vs the sales from a few extra maniacs from America etc who want a subbed copy of say the Macross Movie on HD and have HD equipment. Also if they did their homework would realise a lot of fans already have the bootleg of and are happy with it..Be honest theres only going to be a few hundred extra sales worldwide at the most if they add subs. Macross just isnt a mainstream product..

The idea of setting up distribution in North America is also an expensive one. Hiring staff, getting an office, etc etc. All for a few products with limited mainstream appeal.

Macross just isnt a mainstream product.

I don't think they quite understand that. But we'll save that for another thread... <_<

In Newtype, there is the one page introduce article of Megumi, but there is no info about MF.

by Japanese Fans

-----------------------------

In Megumi's Blog, she writes her student life everyday, I figure the MF Voice Project is not start!

I think MF's work is underway but her involvement hasn't started. If I don't hear about a premiere date within the next 2 weeks, then it will probably have a Winter start date.

Macross just isnt a mainstream product..

Anime in general isn't a mainstream product in Japan, comparatively speaking, live action shows are immensely more popular.

However Evangelion is becoming the Star Wars of Japan if the theater numbers are any indication :rolleyes:

Gundam is a toy show and the rest is generally perceived as children's entertainment, if we want to get real... yes within the anime industry the show is small and I think we can all agree that getting a new production once every 5 - 10 years is probably the greatest reason why.

The idea of setting up distribution in North America is also an expensive one. Hiring staff, getting an office, etc etc. All for a few products with limited mainstream appeal.

Bandai Visual (aka the distribution partner of BigWest), who is essentially going to be subbing their catalog titles and marketing them here under the Honnêamise brand name. Nothing more.

Whether BW has given up on trying to distribute Macross internationally is debatable these days.

Zinjo, Mikeszeckly - They would look at the cost/benefit ratio. The time and cost of licensing subs or getting new ones done, adding them to the discs (timing etc) vs the sales from a few extra maniacs from America etc who want a subbed copy of say the Macross Movie on HD and have HD equipment. Also if they did their homework would realise a lot of fans already have the bootleg of and are happy with it..Be honest theres only going to be a few hundred extra sales worldwide at the most if they add subs. Macross just isnt a mainstream product..

Look, you and dejr8bud can batty at us about how they'll never do it, or you can show your support for Macross and the notion of English subtitles on a future HD release. Maybe you guys are right, and maybe they never will do it. But at least I'll know I did something besides bellyache.

And anyway, I'm not talking about setting up distribution in North America. I'm suggesting that if/when they do an HD in release in Japan, that they simply include English subtitles on them. Since both Japanese Blu-rays and HD-DVDs will play on American players, adding an English subtitle option would allow us American fans to import from the Japanese market.

It might cost a bit to do their own subtitles, but I seriously doubt it would cost them too much to license them, especially from fansubbers. Wasn't there a rumor that they already licensed Mangas? In any case, there are over 4000 fans on this board. If even a quarter of us were willing to import Japanese Blu-rays or HD-DVDs with English subs, that's still 1000 extra units they can sell. And while you'd surely want a nice HDTV to get the full effect, all you really need is a player, which are steadily declining in price.

EDIT: Batty? When did MW get a language filter?

Edited by mikeszekely

I think MF's work is underway but her involvement hasn't started. If I don't hear about a premiere date within the next 2 weeks, then it will probably have a Winter start date.

Voice acting is typically one of the last aspects of animation production in Japan if I remember correctly. Unlike here where it's done first.

Edited by Zinjo

Yeah you guys are right. Its worth trying to change something. And besides we already have the precedent of the "International Edition" of Macross Plus that was released in Japan with an English audio track and no subs (?) aswell as Macross DYRL? in English with Japanese subtitles for language learners so who knows?

Edited by MilSpex

As much as it would be nice to see, I don't really have any high hopes about seeing subs on and official R2 release any time soon. With the exception of Ghibli's DVD and a pitiful handful of others (like Patlabor III) the only time I've see English subs on a R2 release here is when their was a preexisting R1 source that they could pull it from. Then it's just extra content without the work. In fact, I'd imagine their overseas licensing agreements stipulate the reciprocal usage in Japan as part of the deal. Still hoping though.

Okay, after reading the last 31 odd pages, (and pre-ordering the 25th ltd ed. box heheh) are we any closer to seeing a video trailer of Macross f? (what was it again? i read soo much) oh yes.. Frontier? its been a couple of weeks since the show and nothing yet? This is a bit weird no? :ph34r:

would anyone like to put up or link some pics of the new HD dvd's? i would but i'm stuck using a work computer....

Okay, after reading the last 31 odd pages, (and pre-ordering the 25th ltd ed. box heheh) are we any closer to seeing a video trailer of Macross f? (what was it again? i read soo much) oh yes.. Frontier? its been a couple of weeks since the show and nothing yet? This is a bit weird no? :ph34r:

would anyone like to put up or link some pics of the new HD dvd's? i would but i'm stuck using a work computer....

Where can we pre-order this stuff anyway? I must have missed that in this thread.

HORY SHIIIETTT!!!!!!

THESE WILL ALL BE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!1111111

--add--

AmazonJapan don't have it, yet, but CDJapan already listed it:

DYRL memorial-box edition: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3170

DYRL single-edition: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3171

M-TV: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3169

I got mine preordered here.....

Who cares, when we have a DYRL box! :lol:

Ah, thanks! I can't wait to get my own copies!

Edit: Are this and this one in the same as the ones featured on CDJapan?

Yeah.

fwiw, always use the catalog-numbers to search in amazon.jp , e.g. bcba-3170 for the dyrl-box, bcba-3171 for the dyrl-single, bcba-3169 for the TV-set.

Edited by treatment

Yeah you guys are right. Its worth trying to change something. And besides we already have the precedent of the "International Edition" of Macross Plus that was released in Japan with an English audio track and no subs (?) aswell as Macross DYRL? in English with Japanese subtitles for language learners so who knows?

ya and the new Macross Plus box sets have no English tracks. I presume the Macross 7 box sets don't have English subs either.

While it doesn't hurt to ask, you are asking a company to spend money that they really don't have to. How many people are importing? 1000? 500?

But then again, the JP Five Star Stories DVD has English subs and is region free so anything can be possible. I just don't see it happening.

Edited by dejr8bud

But then again, the JP Five Star Stories DVD has English subs and is region free so anything can be possible. I just don't see it happening.

Wow, you know the japanese companies really have to start noting this stuff to international markets. I've always wanted to check out Five Star Stories and had no idea an official region free DVD with english subtitles existed. This is good news :)

fwiw, always use the catalog-numbers to search in amazon.jp , e.g. bcba-3170 for the dyrl-box, bcba-3171 for the dyrl-single, bcba-3169 for the TV-set.

Wow, so it looks like Amazon.jp is the way to go for the DYRL box. You save $20 compared to the cdjapan price.

I've been out of the loop for awhile... What is so special about this DYRL box (other than HD remaster)? Do we know what the bonus features are? I'm more than willing to drop $80 for this set (shipped), but I just want to know what I'm buying. :unsure:

I'd stick with CDJapan. I've heard many horror stories about AmazonJP's shipping with DHL.

Never a problem with DHL. I did read that AOD members terrible ordeal with DHL..ugh god. My Macross Plus box set set was shipped Fed Ex from AMJ. Which is a first.

I've been out of the loop for awhile... What is so special about this DYRL box (other than HD remaster)? Do we know what the bonus features are? I'm more than willing to drop $80 for this set (shipped), but I just want to know what I'm buying. :unsure:

According to this:

http://product.bandaivisual.co.jp/web_serv...em_no=BCBA-3170

... this box set has a disc with the HD remaster, another with the "original release version", a 3rd disc with TV ads and the movies used in the Sega Saturn game (that's what I can translate)

On another note, how come the only "news" we've had are related to the Robotech movie and NO MACROSS F VIDEO ?????????

Indeed an October release is very unlikely...

Yeah, it's clear by now that we won't see a thing any time soon.

I don't care when it's released as long as it's good.

I cant take it anymore I want to see something anything .............................ok gentlemen I HAVE A PLAN WE KIDNAP SHOJI AND STUDIO NUE AND MAKE THEM SHOW US MACROSS F IF THEY DONT AGREE TO OUR DEMANDS THEY WILL HAVE TO WATCH THE FAILED MOVIE STEALTH. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH :lol: