Transformer Super Thread 6

The concept art for Classics Sunstreaker and Sideswipe is a perfect example of what GobotFool is talking about---they're VERY Lamborghini-esque, and even specifically Diablo-esque. But they're not Diablos, and thus no licensing needed. (I haven't seen the actual Classic Sunstreaker pics yet, so I don't know how the car mode actually turned out)

I'm aware of the whole "GM etc don't want the body panels split in certain ways". If we got Alts that looked like Classic Hot Rod and Sunstreaker, with no licensing issues so they could transform in unique/interesting ways, I'd be all over them.

My Slag's still in.... relatively good shape.

By which I mean all the parts are still attached.

Pretty much every last speck of chrome has been rubbed off at this point, the stickers are gone(he went in the swimming pool a few times), and the tail is a bit worn, but... by favorite childhood toy standards, he did good.

Got mine today... I still think he's the weakest mold... he does look great in dino-mode tho, but Sludge is still a way-more fun toy.

Damn, no Warpath. Oh well, a huge, bright red transforming A-10 would be just as good.

Is that confirmed, and if so, where are the freaking pictures? Please don't let it look like that Energon POS A-10 lookign thing, my stepson now is convinced that real A-10s look like that after his dad pounded it into his head that it was an A-10, ugh, so much to fix.

Is that confirmed, and if so, where are the freaking pictures? Please don't let it look like that Energon POS A-10 lookign thing, my stepson now is convinced that real A-10s look like that after his dad pounded it into his head that it was an A-10, ugh, so much to fix.

Wow, so he thinks real A-10s have a big clear blue plastic dome between the two engines? :lol:

Edited by GobotFool

Nothing confirmed, just speculation, but it sounds like you gotta take that kid to an airshow stat!

Classics Jetfire is a Voyager

I can never keep the scales straight once it's outside of deluxe and basic. I usually like my figures around the deluxe scale or slightly bigger(which I guess the Voyager was).

Bigger than Jetfire isn't too tempting for a figure I only ever had a slight affection for. Then again, this being Macross World, I can see why others are all excited. :)

If we got Alts that looked like Classic Hot Rod and Sunstreaker, with no licensing issues so they could transform in unique/interesting ways, I'd be all over them.

Both of those appear to fit pretty solidly into the "hood forms chest/hood forms feet" category, though? I'd say Hot Rod at least has a very comparable, if simplified, transformation to Alt Mirage/Rodimus.

The concept art for Classics Sunstreaker and Sideswipe is a perfect example of what GobotFool is talking about---they're VERY Lamborghini-esque, and even specifically Diablo-esque. But they're not Diablos, and thus no licensing needed. (I haven't seen the actual Classic Sunstreaker pics yet, so I don't know how the car mode actually turned out)

I'm aware of the whole "GM etc don't want the body panels split in certain ways". If we got Alts that looked like Classic Hot Rod and Sunstreaker, with no licensing issues so they could transform in unique/interesting ways, I'd be all over them.

One thing Alts had going against it is sheer complication of the transformation. They're just not very fun to transform, or (SHOCK) to play with.

I like to play with my toys, goddammit.

Sunstreaker turned out quite close to the real car, though the roof has this weird ruffled effect on it that some wags have described as Sunstreaker having a potato chip on his chest (I don't know the real car very well). You were right about the transformation sequence though, the toy was designed with the Sideswipe transformation, then they figured out the Sunstreaker transformation (or mildly reworked the design to make it capable) afterwards.

My point was that if the car modes looked like Classic Hot Rod etc, they would be free from licensing restrictions, thus (due to the size/complexity/price of Alts) they could then have an alt-style complex transformation, yet actually do something DIFFERENT.

Classics have common/simple TF car transformations due to size/price limits. Alts have common TF transformations due to licensing restrictions affecting panel/part break up.

Alts with Classic-like car modes would have no restrictions, and the engineers could do whatever they wanted, with a higher budget/complexity than any car TF has seen before. (Ultimate BB doesn't count, 90% of his budget went into electronics)

Personally, I like complex transformations more than anything else. The Alts however were needlessly finicky, due to the many small joints in a single area, due to not being allowed to split up the body panels. If they had smaller kibble pieces, it'd be a lot easier to transform them, and Grimlock (for example) wouldn't have 2mm z-fold hinges all over just to give you that 3mm extra space needed for one sequence to clear the doors...

MP Prime is nice and complex, but he's not finicky. Alternators may have 100 joints, but most don't really "do" anything other than slightly move parts to clear each other. The basic transformation is simple, there's just a bunch of little "adjusting" steps in each main step to make room for GM-approved seamless kibble to swing around.

I love the TF Alternators line. They paid great homage to the original G1 Autobot cars. Yes, I agree they are challenging to transform initially, but you get used to it after a few transformations. And yeah, they are more of display pieces than toys to play with - definitely NOT for kids IMHO.

As for the Classics 2.0/Universe Powerglide being an Ultra class - I hope it isn't a repaint of TF Cybertron Wing Saber.

:mellow:

Am definitely getting Revoltech Rodimus:

^_^

post-3878-1201232978_thumb.jpg

I'm kind of dissapointed that they seem to be dropping rub signs for Universe, though Takara have done away with them as well for their version of Classics.

Part of me would like to see them retool Sunstreaker in the future as a Headmaster, following IDW's Devastation plotline.

Wait, so Octane is Tankor now? I'm guessing Hasbro couldn't get Octane trademarked or something? Tankor sorta works, as one his alt modes is a tanker truck, but (no offense to the Beast Wars crowd) Tankor is a stupid name. They can put whatever name they want on the box, he'll still be Octane to me (just like "Rodimus" was the name on the box of the Transformer we all know is Hot Rod).

Wait, so Octane is Tankor now? I'm guessing Hasbro couldn't get Octane trademarked or something? Tankor sorta works, as one his alt modes is a tanker truck, but (no offense to the Beast Wars crowd) Tankor is a stupid name. They can put whatever name they want on the box, he'll still be Octane to me (just like "Rodimus" was the name on the box of the Transformer we all know is Hot Rod).

I don't get why they couldn't just call him Decepticon Octane. Thats what they did with Jazz (well they added autobot at the beginning of his name :lol: ) and a few other ones they had copyright issues with.

One thing Alts had going against it is sheer complication of the transformation. They're just not very fun to transform, or (SHOCK) to play with.

Thats subject to debate. There are some that were too complex for their own good, like Grimlock and to an extent Smokescreen(well he wasn't overly complex, just not as refined as the RX-8 with similar transformation), but some of them were very fun to play with and transform. I like having Transformers that have what I call "pleasant transformations". I group Masterpiece Starscream, Alternators RX-8s, Viper twins, Skids, and Windcharger, Classics deluxes and voyagers, G2 Laser Rod Prime, movie Starscream and movie Leader Prime, Masterpiece Prime, and others in that category. All of these mentioned are very fun to play with for me. Masterpiece Starscream, is very durable as well(aside from the known issues, which are no longer issues once some shaving is done to prone areas).

As for the Classics 2.0/Universe Powerglide being an Ultra class - I hope it isn't a repaint of TF Cybertron Wing Saber

He's a new mold.

Grimlock (for example) wouldn't have 2mm z-fold hinges all over just to give you that 3mm extra space needed for one sequence to clear the doors...

It took me damn near an hour to figure that out when I first bought him, and even now I get stuck every now and then.

I laugh when people tell me the 1/48 VF-1 is hard to transform, when I know from experience alternator/BT Grimlock is much more difficult to transform. Literally night and day.

Those of you who are club members should be recieving your newsletters soon with Classics wave 1 unveiled. As for me, I'll just have to wait til the toyfair coverage gets posted online for me to see anything.

Alt Grimlock is probably the most annoying to transform TF ever. He's just needlessly finicky and complicated. So many little black hinges that seem pointless but are in fact needed if you ever want to get things lined up. "This one up and this one down and these two in and the last one back" is the only way the chest will lock together, or it'll forever be 3mm too far to connect. Or is it "up down in back in"? :p

IMHO, Smokescreen's the best Alt. It was all downhill from there. Tracks is neat, but mainly because of the awesome alt mode. If he didn't have the giant leg kibble and shoulder-launchers he'd be amazing. Sideswipe is pretty disappointing, I should have waited for the Sunstreaker repaint/remold--it looks twice as good.

Hound's pretty good. I pretty much stopped buying after that though.

Downhill after Smokescreen? No way. The Subaru mold is the one I liked the least since the legs had to be folded correctly for everything else to click in place, and it always took me so long to find the right angle. Hound is nice; great to play with in both modes. I didn't think I'd like Skids, but I ended tinkering around with him more than the Viper brothers. IMHO, the Ford GT mold was the best designed one; very snazzy looking alt mode with a bot mode that's solid and articulate. And I'm not just saying that because Mirage is one of my fave TFs. ^_^

Part of me would like to see them retool Sunstreaker in the future as a Headmaster, following IDW's Devastation plotline.

Hmm.. now that'd be interesting...

The IDW story line is so completely rockin'. I love that shot of Sunstreaker (well, just his head) all strung up and torn apart muttering 'Kiiiiill meeeeee.....'

Awesome!

Plus the designs are super cool. EJ Su is a god.

that product pic of sunstreaker is kinda disturbing.

makes you wonder if it's mis-transformed, or it's backwards. maybe both?

alternator-style transformations are cool, but they bring down the fun factor.

sure you get better bot-to-alt proportions & details, but you also need to watch the small parts & so on.

compared to the classics-style transformations, you almost don't have to worry about snapping little parts off or breaking something.

you could even play around with them without looking at the toy. you can't do that with the alts & masterpieces.

I LOVE the RX-8 mold for Shockwave too, but Skids was always my favorite for some reason... (I like all the Alt molds, but I like the Suburu mold least bc/ it is less posably in the arms.)

Sunstreaker looks pretty good in bot mode, but the engine looks tacked on in vee. mode and not actually part of the car... why is it attached to the roof?

I think it's safe to say that complex transformations appeal greatly to some, and detract greatly to others, with many people falling somewhere inbetween. Personally, I enjoy both. That's why some days I'm breaking out my 1/48ths and the later 1/60 Valkyries from Plus and Zero. Other days, I just want to nab an old chunky monkey off the shelf and flip it between modes.

None of the Alternator transformations put me off, one of the Car Robot Transformers had the most frustrating transformation. The blue sports car. Such a pain. Now that I know how to Transform Grimlock, he's not that difficult to Transform, and I never have parts falling off since I know where I'm supposed to move the pieces. Grimlock is probably my 4th favourite mold. Mirage, then Jazz/Shockwave, and then Skids are my my top 3, and in that order with Mirage and Rodimus as my favourites.

I wish Windcharger had better arm and leg articulation. It even looks like he has a knee joint, but it won't budge.

Not sure how I feel about that photo of Classics Sunstreaker. I am looking forward to seeing more photos though. He's one of my favourite Transformers. The earliest one I can remember owning.

Edited by Radd

Alt Grimlock is probably the most annoying to transform TF ever. He's just needlessly finicky and complicated. So many little black hinges that seem pointless but are in fact needed if you ever want to get things lined up. "This one up and this one down and these two in and the last one back" is the only way the chest will lock together, or it'll forever be 3mm too far to connect. Or is it "up down in back in"? :p

IMHO, Smokescreen's the best Alt. It was all downhill from there. Tracks is neat, but mainly because of the awesome alt mode. If he didn't have the giant leg kibble and shoulder-launchers he'd be amazing. Sideswipe is pretty disappointing, I should have waited for the Sunstreaker repaint/remold--it looks twice as good.

Hound's pretty good. I pretty much stopped buying after that though.

MP megs is worse. Dave if you like smokescreen and never got a rx-8 mold I really have to recommend nabbing one. Its Smokescreens mold refined to perfection.