Transformer Super Thread 6

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=162139

OK, so Hasbro (or Takara) tool up a new sword for Leader Prime to be movie-accurate, yet it doesn't resemble the one in the movie at all. ?!?!? I recall it being symmetrical, rather broad, with a flared tip. Not looking like a pocket-knife hacksaw.

OK, so Hasbro (or Takara) tool up a new sword for Leader Prime to be movie-accurate, yet it doesn't resemble the one in the movie at all. ?!?!? I recall it being symmetrical, rather broad, with a flared tip. Not looking like a pocket-knife hacksaw.

When it is retracted it's the right shape. Also the end product will be painted and whatnot.

ths was likely snatched in a factory.

post-1571-1199739046_thumb.jpg

Chances are even badly posed photographs actually take hours to shoot, because they're going to take a hundred or so photographs, then choose the best ones.

But the design guy doesn't need to be there for the whole photo shoot.

Logically, they're going to shoot all the vehicle pics, then all the bot pics. Or vice versa. They won't be transforming the sample back and forth a dozen times.

So they get their vehicle shots done, call the design guy in, he reconfigures it, and they shoot the 'bot mode pics. He's free during everything except the transition from vehicle to 'bot.

His continued presence, while beneficial to shooting posed 'bot pics, isn't necessary.

But apparently it IS necessary for the transformation step.

Of course, if they try to shoot an entire combiner in one day, he may as well just stay up there.

My MP Megatron arrived today. Even though LAF advertised that it'd be modded, it wasn't. The detail in the figure is what you'd expect if you're familiar with either MP Prime or MP Starscream. And, it's probably the most cartoon-accurate you can get in a Megatron toy that still transforms into a gun. That said, it's not without it's issues, and it's easily my least favorite of the three (Skywarp, Ultra Magnus, and Prime with Trailer don't count, since they're repaints). The legs are thin, and a lot of the gun parts end up as kibble on his hips, shoulders, legs, and back. In fact, his thin legs and ball-jointed ankles make him unstable and difficult to pose. The kibble on his shoulders further limits his posibility, and his Fusion Cannon is so large that it's in the way of the gun barrel on his back (or vice versa, as the barrel sits pretty tall). Also, the way the Cannon clips on his arm leaves a a gap between it and his arm. It could just be mine, but a lot of his joints were really tight, and transforming him was difficult even when I knew what I was doing. It's a shame, because I probably won't transform him much, but his alt mode looks really good (although a bit to large to be a real gun). I suppose this was done to keep him on scale with Prime. Which reminds me, just like Prime has a light in his chest cavity for the Matrix, Megatron has a red light in his Fusion Cannon. That does sort of beg the question, why go to the trouble to include lights in Megatron and keep him on scale with Prime when they didn't bother on Starscream? I can't really complain, since I paid more for Prime and Megatron than I did for my Wal-Mart Starscream, but it makes the price of importing Skywarp seem unreasonable.

Overall, while this isn't the best of the Masterpiece line, that's a lot like complaining that the Countach wasn't the best of the Lamborghini line. The MP Transformers are still the biggest and most detailed Transformers, and the only G1 toys that strike a good balance between detail and cartoon accuracy in both modes. If your a fan of Megatron, Transformers, and the Masterpiece line, you need MP Megatron on your shelf.

I've had MP Megatron for awhile now, but still haven't been brave enough to transform it ... yet.

But he LOOKS cool.

B))

I got mine from Kevin when they came out. Still in bot mode. I dont need an ogre sized P38. I actually wish he was just a large super-posable version that didnt transform.

I keep thinking about MP Megs, but keep thinking "his alt mode is just no fun at all, and hard to display". I mean, I keep Prime and any jet in vehicle mode often---same as any of my diecast planes and cars--they look neat on display and you can put them anywhere they'll fit. But an oversize obviously-plastic gun? It won't even stand up on its own--how do you display it? Just toss it on the floor in the corner? Make a wall-mount plaque for it or what?

I keep thinking about MP Megs, but keep thinking "his alt mode is just no fun at all, and hard to display". I mean, I keep Prime and any jet in vehicle mode often---same as any of my diecast planes and cars--they look neat on display and you can put them anywhere they'll fit. But an oversize obviously-plastic gun? It won't even stand up on its own--how do you display it? Just toss it on the floor in the corner? Make a wall-mount plaque for it or what?

Well, I think his bot mode is worth it. Well, that and the fact that he comes with Kremzeek. I mean, yeah, Prime and Starscream are fun to Transform and display in alt mode from time to time (although, while overly large, if you could find a way to display it, Megatron's alt mode looks great), but unlike a lot of the G1 toys we had growing up they look great and are, for the most part, some of the most detailed and poseable Transformers you get. Unless you like Pat Lee's chunky Megatron (okay, I'll admit it, Pat Lee's a jerk, but I actually like his chunky Transformers) and go with the Revoltech Megatron, this is quite simply the best G1 Megatron out there.

I actually wish he was just a large super-posable version that didnt transform.

That's pretty much how I feel about Galvatron.

The Transforming toys are fun to transform and occasionally display in alt mode, and the MP figures are just fun collector's pieces since they're big, detailed, and still Transform, but I've been thinking I'd have a lot of fun with the Revoltech Transformers lately. I mean, Transforming is fun, but super-poseable robots that aren't compromised by kibble and what not from their alt modes have a certain appeal too. Since I'm not interested in any more movie toys, I think sometime between now and the Animated toys I'm going to try to grab the Revoltech Prime and Megatron before Hot Rod/Rodimus and Starscream come out.

I move that the word "kibble" be stricken from the lexicon. As it tends to mean whatever the hell the user wants it to mean, it winds up conveying little to no meaning at all and winds up being as useful as the word "smurf".

Some people use it to mean vehicle parts that wind up hanging off the robot, some only use it in that case if said pieces hinder articulation.

Some people use it to mean any part on the robot that looks like a piece of it's alt mode, some only use it in that way if they don't like how it looks and don't use it if it looks cool.

Some people only use it for pieces of the alt mode that simply get in the way when in robot mode, as if the designers had absolutely no idea what to do with the piece.

Some people mostly use it for shellformers, with the large pieces of alt mode hanging off the robot.

Some people use it for any portruding piece that does not sit flush with the part of the robot it's sprouting from, but only when they don't think it looks good.

Some people use it to convey two or more of the above. Others use it only for one specific description.

Everyone nods their heads when the word is used, but I don't know that anyone really knows exactly what one person is talking about over what they themselves think the word means.

It's so subjective to the point where it can mean just about anything, for anyone, and even differ from toy to toy for the same person using the word.

It's pretty accurate, even has the hiroglyphics on the sides of the tip. They probably didn't make the tipe as large for storage.

Pic from the TF wiki

And orange...
The sword in the movie comes out and retracts as normal metal, but glows bright orange with energy. The photo of Premium Prime in Previews suggests more paint will be on the final version.

But the design guy doesn't need to be there for the whole photo shoot.

Logically, they're going to shoot all the vehicle pics, then all the bot pics. Or vice versa. They won't be transforming the sample back and forth a dozen times.

So they get their vehicle shots done, call the design guy in, he reconfigures it, and they shoot the 'bot mode pics. He's free during everything except the transition from vehicle to 'bot.

His continued presence, while beneficial to shooting posed 'bot pics, isn't necessary.

But apparently it IS necessary for the transformation step.

Of course, if they try to shoot an entire combiner in one day, he may as well just stay up there.

I guess they don't think it's worth the time and have better things to do. It's quite possible the central photo center isn't located in the same building, as well, ie, they farmed out photography to a studio somewhere.

Or they don't really care, which is just as likely :p

Buy a GUN RACK!

I move that the word "kibble" be stricken from the lexicon. As it tends to mean whatever the hell the user wants it to mean, it winds up conveying little to no meaning at all and winds up being as useful as the word "smurf".

Some people use it to mean vehicle parts that wind up hanging off the robot, some only use it in that case if said pieces hinder articulation.

Some people use it to mean any part on the robot that looks like a piece of it's alt mode, some only use it in that way if they don't like how it looks and don't use it if it looks cool.

Some people only use it for pieces of the alt mode that simply get in the way when in robot mode, as if the designers had absolutely no idea what to do with the piece.

Some people mostly use it for shellformers, with the large pieces of alt mode hanging off the robot.

Some people use it for any portruding piece that does not sit flush with the part of the robot it's sprouting from, but only when they don't think it looks good.

Some people use it to convey two or more of the above. Others use it only for one specific description.

Everyone nods their heads when the word is used, but I don't know that anyone really knows exactly what one person is talking about over what they themselves think the word means.

It's so subjective to the point where it can mean just about anything, for anyone, and even differ from toy to toy for the same person using the word.

I use it to mean parts of the alt mode that just sort of hang off the robot and generally get it the way or otherwise seem like they don't belong.

Excellent definition(s) of the word mate ...

Edited by Vermillion21

Or they don't really care, which is just as likely

In which case, no one needs to defend them.

Unless you like Pat Lee's chunky Megatron (okay, I'll admit it, Pat Lee's a jerk, but I actually like his chunky Transformers) and go with the Revoltech Megatron, this is quite simply the best G1 Megatron out there.

Pat Lee's work is horrible but some of his designs do turn into pleasant looking toys. Albeit not to me, but I've noticed a lot of people like the Revoltech Prime, Megatron, and House of M Iron Man, all based on his designs.

I dunno... aside from the way more detailed aesthetics of the MPs, I find my G1 Galvatron to be one of the most awesome and fun G1 toys I own. I haven't shelled out the unfair price for an orange gun-barrel for mine, but I did all the repair work to the electronics with my dad so now he works and is awesome classic post-Diaclone TF-toy goodness.

I've got an MP Megs on preorder from HLJ for once they have the ornage capped versions available for shipping... I'm looking forward to it alot... I've reconciled pretty much everything kinda annoying about him as necessary except the gap on the gun mount and how far the gun sticks off the arm still bug me... funny thing is I also scored a G1 Megs the other day, and am genuinely more excited about getting that than the MP toy for some reason....

Got a G1 Grimlock today with no accessories for around $40 (had a store credit)... I've only got two Dinobots left now, and some accessories... my Swoop is a Frankenstein between two broken ones, but I really like it bc/ I've had the one-armed Swoop for ever now, and finally restoring it back up to a full good figure is satisfying and fun... and way less expensive.

I've never really liked Galvatron. I'd love a G2 tank Megatron done up MP style, though. I've always loved that version of Megatron the best. Rodimus would be on my list, except that I've got Alternator's Rodimus, and think he looks far and away better than any other incarnation of the character.

Also, I know people have mentioned wanting MP versions of characters such as Wheeljack, I hope the line mostly sticks to larger, non-car style TFs. I'd love to see MP Soundwave, Thundercracker, Ultra Magnus with his trailer/armour, Thrust, Dirdge, Ramjet, Warpath, Astrotrain, Blitzwing...

Further down the list, but only because they saw Alternators releases, I'd love to see MP Grimlock and MP Shockwave.

Ratchet and Ironhide might be good for the line, too. They're both larger than a regular car, and neither got an appearance in the Alternators line.

In which case, no one needs to defend them.

Pat Lee's work is horrible but some of his designs do turn into pleasant looking toys. Albeit not to me, but I've noticed a lot of people like the Revoltech Prime, Megatron, and House of M Iron Man, all based on his designs.

Don Figueroa or Guido Guidi's G1 designs are far superior for toy making. Especially Don's, as he actually draws TFs that are meant to transform.

I strongly suspect Kaiyado (or whatever they are called) used Pat Lee's style because they sculpted the TF Revoltechs back in 2004. There's a Pat Lee-style Grand Convoy/Energon Prime Revoltech that they also sculpted, that particular toy will probably never see the light of day, now.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Don Figueroa or Guido Guidi's G1 designs are far superior for toy making. Especially Don's, as he actually draws TFs that are meant to transform.

While he's been credited under different names, Don Figueroa actually does design transformer toys for Hasbro. I think that's what he's working on since he's no longer an artist for IDW.

Also a side note, the prequel animation of Beast wars - Gold Disk is out on the transformersclub site.

Edited by Hikuro

While he's been credited under different names, Don Figueroa actually does design transformer toys for Hasbro. I think that's what he's working on since he's no longer an artist for IDW.

Also a side note, the prequel animation of Beast wars - Gold Disk is out on the transformersclub site.

Don is also doing some other Mecha designs for former IDW Editor Dan Taylor. Looks like cool stuff.

The Golden Disk theft video is pretty cool..ties right into the Dawn of Futures Past comic that ties into Episode 1 of Beast Wars season 1. B))

Looks like the All Spark Power line is hitting the stores; I snagged Landmine on the way out of Target, but didn't see Stockade. Landmine is turning out to be fun figure though. It looks frail, but it's actually solid enough to hold some dynamic poses. The head sculpt looks like a mess and the hands are simplistic, but I guess it falls well within the movie's design. I'll see if I could replace the head and hands with something more traditional. Alt. mode looks great-it's a very convincing war buggy; it even has suspension springs. Paint apps have no slop and details from the individual lights to all the insignias are spot on. Overall, it's a sweet figure.

Yeah, I know.

I do not believe Don has a much of a hand in the design process in the same way the Hasbro designers do, in that he doesn't have that much of a say after submitting his detailed concepts to them. Marcelo Matare has been doing much of the same thing for Hasbro, too.

Don designed a few Universe Classics toys recently, but I think he's had his fill of Transformers for awhile.

Edited by Fit For Natalie