Blade Runner: Final Cut

• 4 months later...

I'm getting the case, standard DVD. I'm not sold on HD or Blu yet, they seem like Laserdisc to me. Should be shipping tomorrow from Amazon, but they have a habit of shipping stuff ahead of time (and not telling you), and you get your ship notice (and package) on the release date.

I guess we're all on the same boat... A friend has been hinting at me that I'm going to get this, but she's trying to fish whether I'll go blu-ray or HD-DVD... I'm leaning towards blu-ray. I want to wait but I also want this for Xmas...

How about we all go blu-ray and push the issue? lol.

Got mine last thursday. I went for the 4 disc DVD, and I'm quite happy with it. I haven't watched through any of the extra's yet, but the movie disc is quite beautiful. It's crazy how well this film continues to hold up. I do wish that the work print wasn't a box + excess exclusive though.

Keith---the Blu-Ray version is available to get the Work Print without the box/case, and only 5 bucks more than the 4-disc DVD version. IMHO you probably should have snagged that version if you have a PS3. Only the normal DVD requires you to buy the uber-case version to get the work print.

Keith---the Blu-Ray version is available to get the Work Print without the box/case, and only 5 bucks more than the 4-disc DVD version. IMHO you probably should have snagged that version if you have a PS3. Only the normal DVD requires you to buy the uber-case version to get the work print.

I still may at some point, I'm just still not sold on the new formats yet.

How about we all go blu-ray and push the issue? lol.

I'd love to, but I just don't have the money right now. There's really no point owning an HD player and disks if I'm using a stereo CRT television.

Besides, blu-ray is the superior format, so we all know it's going to fail :)

I am sooooo befuddled by everyone's excitement over this release... I saw Blade Runner a few years ago (version w/ the Unicorn at the end I think...) and I thought it was rubbish. It was such a boring and stupid film, and the whole thing is pitch-black so you can't see anything... about the only thing I enjoyed was all the model-work for the vehicles and city shots, and that's only bc/ I've actually seen the main building model in person...

I am sooooo befuddled by everyone's excitement over this release... I saw Blade Runner a few years ago (version w/ the Unicorn at the end I think...) and I thought it was rubbish. It was such a boring and stupid film, and the whole thing is pitch-black so you can't see anything... about the only thing I enjoyed was all the model-work for the vehicles and city shots, and that's only bc/ I've actually seen the main building model in person...

so which one are you getting? Blu-ray or HD-DVD?

lol.

I'ts probably beyond you, so I wouldn't even worry about it... go watch your Fantastic Four... I'm sure that wouldnt bore you.

Haha, wow... not what I expected back :huh: I have no problem with classics and such, so don't mark me as an action buff who doesn't watch stuff for the plot... it's just this one film I can't wrap my head around... I've tried and tried and simply cannot see the amazingness in it...

Blade Runner is not really an accessible film. It works primarily on the strength of the visuals and the subtext. Blade Runner is also notable for the twist of protagonist/antagonist characterizations. The protagonist, Deckard, is nearly devoid of emotion and quite cold while Batty is an emotional and complex being yet plays the antagonist. Lastly, it's also known for creating a very real vision of a fictional world with a visual design so detailed and immersive it looks more realistic than most science fiction constructs that benefit from all the modern special effects technology. Much like Nolan's "Memento" or Kubrick's "2001" you really have to pay attention to what's going on in order to really get a lot out of it. The film is deliberately paced and almost meditative, which for some viewers is just a pretentious, slow or boring way to tell a story. If you rely upon the action sequences and dialog to carry the show, you're missing the other layers of the film completely and end up bored with a film that feels longer than it is.

See, that's where I still get miffed... I'm all for the noir style an all, but when I watched the film, there were large sequences where I couldn't see a THING bc/ all the shots were so dark...

This probably has more to do with the copy you were watching and what you were watching it on.

I definitely think it's overrated. That said, it's got some good sci fi at it's core. Too many of it's premises are dated now, though... Especially the whole Japanese-Corporate-run-future thing.