High Definition Media & Technology Thread

*sigh*

IT'S NOT SONY'S FORMAT.

No more than CD or DVD was, anyways.

Just goes to show you how little I knew about Blu-ray. :p

All I know for sure is that I will buy a Blu-ray player when Macross: DYRL comes out on Blu-ray disc.

I think he is talking about this:

GITS SAC Blu-ray Movie box set

From what I hear it will have English subs and audio.

Still too expensive. Almost 22000 yen at Amazon JP. I would think this would come over here a little cheaper..Bandai Visual USA cheap ya right

The first GITS movie on Blu-ray...I'm glad I had a 50.00 credit when I bought it. It ain't worth 7800 yen before shipping. Looks slightly better than the SD region 2 DVD it comes with. IIRC it doesn't even have 5.1. sound. I think it is 2.0 English and Japanese Dolby surround.

d'oh! haha, well, by all means, get the blu-ray SAC. For some reason, I read that as the first GitS MOVIE. :huh::lol:

d'oh! haha, well, by all means, get the blu-ray SAC. For some reason, I read that as the first GitS MOVIE. :huh::lol:

yea, I should have provided a link. ^_^ ;;

I kinda wish there would be a way to preview the quailty before I put down that kind of cash for bluray set.

they should've listened to Michael Bay in the beginning, retards!!! Anyways, now I have better validation for purchasing my PS3 in the beginning. And now, I can start buying Blu-Ray movies. Till now, I haven't bought any, while I was waiting to see what would become victorious. Now that BR is it, I can now use those Best Buy gift certificates for some cool stuff. This is great news. I was hoping this stupid media war wouldn't last too long.

That's great news! Glad to finally see one unifying format. Unless some other format looks to be coming down the pike real soon, I'll probably get a Blu Ray player in the next 12 months or so... next March is my 10 year anniversary of when I got my first DVD player so that might be the time to do it. :)

Just to jog my memory, is the US and Japan the same Region when it comes to Blu Ray?

I got my first DVD player for Christmas in '98. I was about nine. My parents got it for me. I remember thinking, "Wow, A DVD player...What the hell is a DVD player? I didn't remember asking for this." I was skeptical, until my dad connected it to the TV. It was a shocking improvement at the time.

Yes, the US and Japan are in the same region. keep in mind, however, that region coding is OPTIONAL. Studios don't have to region code their discs. There are a number of releases with region coding. Starship Troopers in the UK, for example, is not region coded. It plays just fine in my US PS3 (although, I hope the inevitable US release will have a new encode. This version suffers from Edge Enhancement).

Ouch.

360 HD DVD Add On

Even though HD DVD is dead, it's not like the discs will cease to work. The Add on plays movies in HD just fine. There are also going to be lots of HD DVD sales.

Of course, I'm probably biased. I still have my parents' Sears Beta Max VCR from the early 80's (1983, I think). It still plays great. Unfortunately, there's no remote control capability. I also have a Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc player. I actually bought it last year. DYRL? and Flashback both look and sound pretty good on LD.

Even though HD DVD is dead, it's not like the discs will cease to work. The Add on plays movies in HD just fine. There are also going to be lots of HD DVD sales.

Of course, I'm probably biased. I still have my parents' Sears Beta Max VCR from the early 80's (1983, I think). It still plays great. Unfortunately, there's no remote control capability. I also have a Pioneer CLD-97 Laserdisc player. I actually bought it last year. DYRL? and Flashback both look and sound pretty good on LD.

Agreed...but very few people will keep their old equipment to play a dead format. I once did, but space is now becoming an issue.

The thing with HD DVD was that it was doomed from the start, yet people who supported it did so while touting strengths that were good on paper, but turned out to be insignificant or useless in reality. The only strength that did factor in it's favor was cost of hardware, in which all players were subsidized. This could work if you had the money to do so long enough. Toshiba did not and suffered greatly. Studio support was poor. Cost of discs though cheaper than Blu-ray discs did not see savings passed onto consumers, Combo discs proved not to be liked by the majority of early adopters, and though a "full featured" format, the future discs to come in the form of triple layer discs wouldn't work on early players at all. Unlike BD in which, newer profiles that added features, the main movie and earlier features would still work. Many people still miss that point.

Even better is that many of the people that touted HD DVD's features and superiority, did so with their mouths, and not their wallets. Many did not even own an HD DVD player, yet wanted it to "win". For me, studio support at the beginning was the deciding factor, not to mention knowing people in the industry helped. HD DVD was never as major a player as it was touted to be. Microsoft helped in that regard, but has no interest in either actually. Just stringing people along for the ride, to help delay Hi def discs adoption. Non disclosure agreements from ex employees from many of both camps mean nothing when they speak to you in confidence in person. That said, it wasn't hard to see the writing on the wall, even for an outsider.

Even worse, is that the whole war could have been prevented had MS not convinced Toshiba otherwise. Jump into bed with the devil...get what you think.

Edited by Gaijin

Bah! You're complaining about no remote control for your Beta Player? Remember when TVs and such didn't have remotes? And you'd have to manually adjust the antennae all the time? And rotary phones? :lol:

Hey I liked rotary phones!! :lol:

My favorite jab at it was Chris Rock in Lethal Weapon 4.

Bah! You're complaining about no remote control for your Beta Player? Remember when TVs and such didn't have remotes? And you'd have to manually adjust the antennae all the time? And rotary phones? :lol:

Actually, I'm too young to know of a time without remotes. I can barely remember when cable had those huge "remote control" boxes where you changed channels with a slider. We did have one rotary phone, though. :)

Anybody remember the UHF nob back when TVs had dials instead of buttons? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

Still have an old 13" Panasonic TV at my mother's house that has those...it still works too!

Bah! You're complaining about no remote control for your Beta Player? Remember when TVs and such didn't have remotes? And you'd have to manually adjust the antennae all the time?

No, that's when your father cuffed you on the noggin' to get you to adjust the antennae. :lol: A perfect remote, or so I'm told B))

The consumers these days are doomed to use stuff like disposables.

Unaware and controlled by this fastpaced economic world.

Who did actually benefit from the HD-DVD side?

Paramount... 150 million for 6 months? There's no way they would have made that much money in just sales.

Combo discs proved not to be liked by the majority of early adopters

That's because they were handled in a retarded manner.

Rather than filing them in the HD-DVD section, and putting a DVD-only release in the DVD section, they should've REPLACED the DVD release with the HD/DVD combo disk.

Then come back in a year and gone "Hey don't you think it's time you bought an HD-DVD player for all those HD-DVDs you bought?"

and though a "full featured" format, the future discs to come in the form of triple layer discs wouldn't work on early players at all. Unlike BD in which, newer profiles that added features, the main movie and earlier features would still work. Many people still miss that point.

I don't believe triple-layer was ever intended for movie usage.

And the problem with BR's profiles is two-fold.

A. it punishes early adopters. The people that MADE the format a success are getting screwed by the fact that they can't use the special features of their disks. In the case of 1.0 adopters, they essentially can't use ANY special features(many early releases are basically featureless due to the limitations of 1.0).

B. It's a blatant example of abusing the customer for marketing purposes. They forced an incomplete standard on unprepared disk presses with broken matering software out the door just so HD-DVD wouldn't be alone in the marketplace.

If this war had been based solely on launches, HD-DVD would've beaten BluRay so hard that all the BR disks physically shattered.

Even worse, is that the whole war could have been prevented had MS not convinced Toshiba otherwise. Jump into bed with the devil...get what you think.

Or had the DVD Forum just adopted BluRay instead of telling Sony to STFU, and then forcing HD-DVD to be adopted.

Seriously, they brought HD-DVD to a vote FOUR times. It was rejected three times, and they had to change the rules for the fourth vote to get the standard adopted.

That's because they were handled in a retarded manner.

Rather than filing them in the HD-DVD section, and putting a DVD-only release in the DVD section, they should've REPLACED the DVD release with the HD/DVD combo disk.

Then come back in a year and gone "Hey don't you think it's time you bought an HD-DVD player for all those HD-DVDs you bought?"

I don't believe triple-layer was ever intended for movie usage.

And the problem with BR's profiles is two-fold.

A. it punishes early adopters. The people that MADE the format a success are getting screwed by the fact that they can't use the special features of their disks. In the case of 1.0 adopters, they essentially can't use ANY special features(many early releases are basically featureless due to the limitations of 1.0).

B. It's a blatant example of abusing the customer for marketing purposes. They forced an incomplete standard on unprepared disk presses with broken matering software out the door just so HD-DVD wouldn't be alone in the marketplace.

If this war had been based solely on launches, HD-DVD would've beaten BluRay so hard that all the BR disks physically shattered.

Or had the DVD Forum just adopted BluRay instead of telling Sony to STFU, and then forcing HD-DVD to be adopted.

Seriously, they brought HD-DVD to a vote FOUR times. It was rejected three times, and they had to change the rules for the fourth vote to get the standard adopted.

"If"..."that's because"..."had they"...does not change anything.

Triple layer wasn't originally intended for video true, but it was the next round to be fired if the war continued for another year or so...problem was that it would make all HD DVD players truly "obsolete".

Edited by Gaijin

"If"..."that's because"..."had they"...does not change anything.

I didn't say it did.

I was just pointing out that the DVD Forum was acting like retarded monkeys instead of launching a serious offensive.

Triple layer wasn't originally intended for video true, but it was the next round to be fired if the war continued for another year or so...problem was that it would make all HD DVD players truly "obsolete".

I doubt they would've done it, for precisely the reason you mention.

Everything I've seen says more layers was only intended for HD-DVD-ROM.

I didn't say it did.

I was just pointing out that the DVD Forum was acting like retarded monkeys instead of launching a serious offensive.

I doubt they would've done it, for precisely the reason you mention.

Everything I've seen says more layers was only intended for HD-DVD-ROM.

Everything you can read on the internet yes. Behind closed doors, no...it was supposed to be the "out"; the problem was as mentioned, incompatibilities. As for HD DVD ROM...no one wanted to buy in from the start anyways.

For all of the BDA's rush tactics to market, HD DVD's plans were more screwed than those.

Toshiba and the DVD forum did not have the money to compete against virtually every other hardware manufacturer out there. Not to mention when they did try, they gave us commercials like this...in Standard Def during the Super Bowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWlj5ZX7JmY

Way to spend the cash guys.

Edited by Gaijin

Not surprising news but you should be able to start finding these cheap

Microsoft drops 360's HD DVD player

Hardware maker plans to cease manufacturing high-def add-on for flagship console, will continue to provide warranty support; price crashes to as low as $50 at online retailers.

Ringing in February, Microsoft initiated a fire sale of sorts on the failed video playback format player, slashing the price of its HD DVD add-on by $50 to $129. However, most major retailers have taken a more aggressive approach to clearing inventory, with the HD DVD player available for $50 to $65 at many online retailers such as Best Buy and Amazon.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6186652.html?...newstop;title;3

I've always wanted to frankenstein a 1st Gen Tosh XA1 with a 360 add-on. Now if I can get that XA1 for less than $50, I'll be willing to try it. :D

We all knew this was coming though. The question was then as it is now: how badly did you want to get boned? Some of us said "not at all" and waited... others said "I love HD DVD" and bought heavily into it... and others still went "purple" and bought both players and both formats (like myself).

Now that the dust is settling those three camps are not screwed, screwed and indifferent. The people who held off were denied HD media but they are not out any money, the people who bought only HD DVD are boned in that they are out money and own a dead format, meaning they have to buy Blu Ray now, but they had their HD media for a time. Then the people like me spent the money and had both formats, meaning we lost money yes but we had our HD media entertainment while others did without or waited.

I actually will keep my Xbox HD DVD drive up and running and I still will probably buy more HD DVDs. Heck I just bought Beowulf on Tuesday... and I probably will start buying more HD DVD as the clearances and sales start up. It's kind of a boon that HD DVD died right now when it did, because Blu Ray is kind of in a slump at the moment with no really good releases coming out for a while. I can concentrate on buying up the last few HD DVDs I want and not have to worry about buying many (if any) Blu Rays for a few months.

speaking of clearance, amazon has the HD-DVD matrix trilogy at 42 bucks as part of their 57% off lineup.

as for sour milk over the end of HD-DVD.. meh, I bought the 360 add-on knowing the format was dead, but it had more titles that I wanted and it was a bargain considering i got the bourne trilogy for free with it. And half of my HD-DVD library was free thanks to all the BOGO offers at Amazon and Best Buy.

Do you think the price of Toshiba's laptops that have HD DVD drives installed will come down a little? The one I want is going for $2500, but I'm going to wait and see what happens as a result of this.

Eventually they'll go down in price. It may take a couple of quarters but they should go down in price.