High Definition Media & Technology Thread

The head and board of Toshiba just need to hurry up and commit sepukku or something cause they're coming off as extreme sore losers. Even Sony went to VHS... Toshiba needs to just suck it up and offer a Blu-ray player that can do HDDVD good instead of just forsaking the poor saps who backed their horse.

The head and board of Toshiba just need to hurry up and commit sepukku or something cause they're coming off as extreme sore losers. Even Sony went to VHS... Toshiba needs to just suck it up and offer a Blu-ray player that can do HDDVD good instead of just forsaking the poor saps who backed their horse.

Now, now. If you had a majority of money in one business, I think you would exploit it while you could. And last I heard, Blu-ray players are still expensive making upconverting DVD players still a viable option for many consumers.

For all your video nerd needs...except LD..I wonder if this will hit the US..

Panasonic Intros Blu-ray/DVD/VHS Combo Player

Posted August 25, 2008 12:08 PM by Josh Dreuth

Panasonic has announced that they will launch the DMR-BR630V in Japan which will feature support for all mainstream video formats (sorry LaserDisc owners - no soup for you). The player will feature a 6X Blu-ray Burner with support for Blu-ray, DVD, and CD, as well as a VHS deck. Additionally, it will feature a 320GB hard drive so you can easily transfer video from one format to the other.

If you're reading this wondering "why would they do that?", you're not alone. The simplest explanation is that it is being marketed to Japan, and unless you are one of our Japanese readers (Konnichiha!), then its probably not for you. Regardless, if you ever spent countless hours struggling with video connections between your VHS deck and Blu-ray recorder, this devise is for you.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1705