Harmony Gold having troubles?

(I posted these comments over at Macross Nexus in response to Keith's post... lots of food for thought some of you should consider)

I was told about this incident in detail yesterday and given the above links.

Keith, you and those guys at the RDF HQ, not to mention the perpetrator of this crime don't realize the seriousness of what has taken place. Besides publicly humiliating a real flesh and blood human being, this was an act of premeditated physical assualt. Notice how hard he hit Tommy in the face? What if that wasn't just shaving cream? What if his concoction included bleach or something else that could have permanently blinded him and/or poisoned him? What about semen or blood which was contaminated with AIDS/HIV, Hepatitis C, Herpes, or a variety of other diseases? What if this had been a blunt object, a knife, or God forbid a gun that he shoved up into Tommy's face? Instead of attacking Tommy or someone at the Harmony Gold booth, what if this was a radical Islamist who decided to strap on some explosives and walked onto the convention floor and blew himself up taking hundreds with him?

After this took place, the AX security spent a hole hour or more scouring the convention floor and hotel looking for this guy.

With the action taken by "Khyron Prime", he has effected a lot more people then just Tommy Yune. If the guests of the AX are vulnerable to being attacked by over-zealous fans, you will see an increase in security. People's personal effects are going to more thoroughly searched. Even more cosplay costumes and items will be barred. If people like Tommy suspect they are going to be attacked especially if they see nut jobs like this spouting out such hate and venom online ahead of time, that's going to started driving guests and companies away. What if you are an anime producer/creator from Japan and you are invited to be a guest at the AX and you hear about such an incident? Why in the hell would you want to fly half-way around the world to be potentially attacked by some psychopath?

ALL OF THIS OVER A F-U-C-K-I-N-G CARTOON!!! :angry: What kind of lives do some of you people lead?

It's good to see that this guy has posted the admission of his crime along with the video... his path to being anally raped in prison is almost complete.

This is a HUGE wakeup call to those in the Robotech, Macross, anime, aw hell, ANY fanboy community.

Edited by Apollo Leader

Yeah, there is quite an enormous leap between casually bashing a cartoon online (what most of us do) and going out of your way to not only premeditate but actually carry out a physical attack. It's probably the same leap between sanity and bat-sh!t crazy.

I hadn't heard about this incident until this thread. I didn't click on the links and I thought the 'threw a pie' reference in the previous post was a 'metaphorical' pie-in-the-face type thing and not an actual pie in the face (hilarious as that is on movies and TV). While I don't like the new Robotech cartoon, i would never endorse public humiliation over it.

Edited by eriku

yup, while I can't say I like yune's professional work, how he handled himself on the floor was pretty classy.

Of course, now he has a MUG SHOT of the idiot who pied him... which I'm sure will be turning up as evidence when they catch this guy.

Frankly, I don't understand the mindset of these protesters. Do they really think that by assualting these figures, that they'll somehow get them to change their minds?

Khyron Prime is an apeface who is always starting poo on forums, blogs, and at conventions. Whenever anyone mentions anything related to Robotech he is there to be a dick to everyone. I am not surprised by this behavior, and whatever you may think of Tommy Yune's work, he is a seriously nice guy and very knowledgable about 80's mecha anime and was super cool to me both times I met him.

Tom Bateman was the fan who organized Robotech 10 and later became an actual member of HG working on Robotech. I also met him at one con and he was a good guy, too, hanging out in the bar after the con had basically shut down and chatting about Gundam, because he is a huge Gundam fan. Also a good guy regardless of what you think of Harmony Gold's work or policies. I don't know why he left the company or anything, but I doubt it is somehow a sign that Harmony Gold is in trouble.

Bateman was part of the Robotech thinktank group that came up with idea for the movie, and Ford Riely wrote it. Even if he is a nice guy, they can still make more Robotech just fine without him. I don't understand where the conspiracy theory comes from, but one guy left the company and "OMG HG IS GOING BANKRUPTZ LOLZ"? C'mon.

I also met Alan Letz, he was just a soulless corporate type. I really did not like him, he was not a fan at all, he was just a businessman. I mean, I don't have any ill will towards him. He was just this business guy, and you could tell this was all business to him, not pleasure. Totally different than Tommy Yune and Tom Bateman.

wow.. this was at this year's AX.... i wonder when this happened....

i actually went over to the HG booth to introduce myself to Tommy.... he actually registered to attend MacrossWorldCon this year and said he'd bring some cool Macross/Robotech stuff for people to check out....

the video stopped playing for me towards the end so i didn't see the pie in the face but i could hear shits and giggles.... wow... i would have been really pissed if that happened when i was a guest somewhere....

for anyone wanting to meet and greet and check out some of Tommy's rare stuff... come to this year's MacrossWorld Con in 3 weeks!!

Is this a big deal? I mean Bill Gates was creamed on at least one occassion and that wasn't a big deal either. I don't think the pie was spiked with AIDs Hepatitis or whatever dangerous diseases and other bodily fluids, that would be too extreme.

Is this a big deal? I mean Bill Gates was creamed on at least one occassion and that wasn't a big deal either. I don't think the pie was spiked with AIDs Hepatitis or whatever dangerous diseases and other bodily fluids, that would be too extreme.

The big deal is the it's a cartoon and we are adults.

Even if we are geeks who still like cartoons and toys we should be able to at least act like adults in person. Of all the causes to fight for....

its not that the pie is the issue, it's that people with ill intent can walk up to anyone to cause harm no matter how small, is a cause for concern. AX is suppose to be a fun event (even though I think it sucks).

Seriously though... just look at that guy. He is the poster child for the angry anime dork.

Pasty white freckly skin from never seeing daylight...

Nasty ass tangly long red hair that looks like it hasn't seen a barber, a comb or anything outside of a rubber band in 10 years pulled back in the stereotypical "dork ponytail"...

White button up "geek" shirt...

Limply hanging overstuffed Backpack clad in a color that doesn't occur in nature...

"uh huh huh huh" goofiness and carry...

All he's missing is some great big old school '50s scientist glasses and a pocket protector.

I bet when that happened someone put out the word to security, gave them the description and seconds later half the convention floor was cleared as "suspect" in the dragnet.

Seriously...

When I picture some mouthy, angry dork posting on a place like MW... THAT is what I picture.

And ironically when I think of what some angry anime message board dork would do in "retaliation", this is what I picture as well. Something immature, hostile yet non damaging and worst of all CHEAP.

Dork: Hey, you're "that guy".

Guy: yeah

Dork: We've never met... have we?

Guy: Uh... no

Dork: You have no clue who I am... do you?

Guy: Uh... an anime fan? Want some free anime stuff?

Dork: NO! A-HAAAAA!

-SPLAT!-

Dork: THAT is for not sufficiently entertaining me! I HATE YOU for your attempts to create something contradictory to what I want things to be!

I was at AX at the panel and at the HG booth (didn't see Tommy though) but the deal is that even though it was jut a pie, that still was an unprovoked physical assault. Tommy or any attendants to a Con shouldn't have to worry about getting attacked by a crazed fan, this a a anime convention not green peace fighting global warming. You could see Tommy holding onto the guy so he doesn't get away once he was hit. Tommy seems nice, but he should've tackled him and called the other guys at the booth to hold him until the cops were called.

If you or anyone is willing to take a pie to the face for no reason then more power to you. But if a stranger did that to me or my family I would take him down immediately. There's a line between being mean & obnoxious on the internet (seems like everyone does that anyways), but to actually plan a hit on someone, even with a pie, is just sad and disturbing to be that callous over a 20 yr. old CARTOON. I mean I like Macross & Robotech, but I have a life that I enjoy besides this "hobby".

I was at AX at the panel and at the HG booth (didn't see Tommy though) but the deal is that even though it was jut a pie, that still was an unprovoked physical assault. Tommy or any attendants to a Con shouldn't have to worry about getting attacked by a crazed fan, this a a anime convention not green peace fighting global warming.

He smiled and gave him a thumbs up afterword. Its being made to sound like he hit him over the head with a lead pipe. I mean, holy cow.

If you or anyone is willing to take a pie to the face for no reason then more power to you. But if a stranger did that to me or my family I would take him down immediately. There's a line between being mean & obnoxious on the internet (seems like everyone does that anyways), but to actually plan a hit on someone, even with a pie, is just sad and disturbing to be that callous over a 20 yr. old CARTOON. I mean I like Macross & Robotech, but I have a life that I enjoy besides this "hobby".

I think i speak for most geeky people when I say we tend to avoid conflict as much as possible. So getting creamed in the face may not be a good thing to endure, I won't punch the guy in the face immediately.

Anyway there was loads of stuff i glazed through his blog initially. When I read it , he does seem abit mentally unstable or something. I'd be worried about this guy walking into university with a gun, seriously. It sounds like a shooter in the making......and worse, its for Robotech.

Tommy smiled because he is a good sport. Had that been a lead pipe, that idiot would be in jail by now.

I find it hard to believe that some people could think it is no big deal to have a pie thrown in your face.... :huh:

I don't like HG, but I find these extreme Macross/Robotech fans are more annoying.

He smiled and gave him a thumbs up afterword. Its being made to sound like he hit him over the head with a lead pipe. I mean, holy cow.
Edited by Mowe