Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - <<Season 1>>

Nice animation, not to keen on so many pretty boys but the story could turn out nice and best of all NO F*$%ING CGI animated Gundams. Just because of that I’m starting to warm up to the designs. Funny that Gundam, the king of milking, is one of the few shows that still doesn’t go all CG with the mecha scenes.

Macross Frontier should learn about that.

I think Valks actually look pretty good in CG. I'd be happy with a Macross Zero standard of animation for Macross Frontier mecha.

You and me both. But, judging by recent CG mechas, the level of a 5 year old high budget OVA is still way out of reach for a weekly series. :(

It's funny how the opposite seems true for Gundam, that CG Mobile Suits just don't seem to look good.

Graham

Of all the Gundam Evolve shorts, I think I've only gone "wow!" with the Nu Gundam one. They all look low budget. The stiff way they move also goes in favour of the more organic valk movement in MZero.

Igloo on the other hand worked really well with the solid UC designs… but it was also an OVA.

The Gundam designs in Gundam 00 would have looked really boring in weekly CG IMO.

I think Valks actually look pretty good in CG. I'd be happy with a Macross Zero standard of animation for Macross Frontier mecha.

It's funny how the opposite seems true for Gundam, that CG Mobile Suits just don't seem to look good.

Agreed, CG Valks are good. CG Gundams....nah.

As I said on another board, the 1st episode is suppose to grab your attention. Keeping your attention is the hard part.

BTW, the 1st episode pulled a 5.4% rating (which is about average for anime) on the weekend. Average rating, so there's not much we can say right now.

BTW, Haro is apparently R2-D2.(linky)

Haro (translation)

"A small, all-purpose machine (autonomous AI) owned by Celestial Being. Stays in the cockpit with Lockon and helps with some of the controls for the Dynames. Additionally, it's extensively used for maintenance work and is indispensable to Celestial Being, who uses a small number of personnel for the sake of preserving the organization's secrets."

The CG I'd prefer is the sort used in GITS:SAC.

The style that integrated the vehicles/Tachikomas/aircraft into the scenes.

They didn't stick out and blended well with what was going on.

Some of the Gundam Evolves were kind of like it, IIRC, but it was hard to compare because there was no backgrounds to blend with.

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Some of the Gundam Evolves were kind of like it, IIRC, but it was hard to compare because there was no backgrounds to blend with.

\

Saw it... reaction so far is... meh.... But certainly a fresh story line compared to beginning of Seed.

I think I'm the only one with this opinion, but I've always thought the CG vehicles, especially the cars in the GITS TV series stuck out like a sore thumb. Really bad CG IMO.

Graham

Just watched eps 1 and 2. I'm quite surprised by the quality shown in the eps. Really nice animation as expected of Sunrise, and i'm really glad most of the action won't be in space since space is oh so boring especially when it gives you the chance to show repeated frames of animation. The idea of Celestial Being wanting to be public enemy no.1 to make the world unite against it is kinda cool. You see this alot in sci-fi books and games where the war strifed world rallied against a common alien threat....even macross has this. But i wonder if they can keep up having a war with the rest of the world. And if they are ever defeated, the peace will only last for so long.

Tiera is so androgynous it makes me cringe in the ED sequence holding a handbag. :lol:

From the character description, Haro is an R2 unit.

Geez, whatever happened to Gundam shows without frigging Haros.

Saw ep 1 so far, and it's not bad. I will reserve judgment on the premise of the show until it develops more. But hopefully they'll flush out this Celestial Being organization a little more, things like where did they come from, how are they funded, etc, not like the crap they had on SEED and the Terminal. Which essentially amounted to: "we believe in Lacus, therefore we can build asteroid bases and mobile suits, and all out of thin air."

how are they going to explain a terrorist operation fielding mechs that are at least a generation more advanced than the most advanced mechs fielded by entire nations?

Same way they explained it the LAST TIME they used this story with Wing... covertly designed advanced prototypes or some nonsense...

how are they going to explain a terrorist operation fielding mechs that are at least a generation more advanced than the most advanced mechs fielded by entire nations?

Alien origin? :huh:

That would be a new gundam plot :lol:

Minor spoiler Warning.

I love this spoiler from Gunota about episode # 4.

"Foreign Negotiation" - Feeling the threat of Gundam, Human Reform League enlists a young girl to counter them".

Hah, There's these super advanced Gundams attacking so what do we do, roll out our most advanced weapons? Nope, let's enlist a

young girl

to counter them. :rolleyes:<_<

All I can say, is that the Gundams can't really be such a big threat.

Graham

Geez, whatever happened to Gundam shows without frigging Haros.

I think the Haro has been around since MS Gundam and has been recurring in Zeta Gundam and Seed/Seed Destiny. I think its gonna be the recurring mascot now like the chocobo is for the FF series.

Watched ep2 yesterday and really liked it: this show looks more and more promising to me. I really like the idea of the orbital ring of solar pannels and the three space elevators which messed up the various international relations and forced the main powers of the planet to reconsider their economics in order to keep their spheres of influence: technologic evolution brings on social evolution, that's real Science-Fiction

As for the sophistication of the Gundams compared to the other mechas, it doesn't look like a really big deal IMO: the Flags are also presented as very advanced designs, and built as secretly as the Gundams, which means that the Celestial Beings aren't the only ones with advanced technology and that this technology is not so much ahead of its time than we may think at first sight

Has there been leaks of technological datas from one side to the other or is this just related to the huge amounts of money needed to develop more sophisticated systems than your neighboors? Impossible to tell for the moment but this doesn't look 'magical' in any way atm to me...

Remember, in Mac0 Anti-UN applied transformable technology on the battlefield before the UN Spacy, then this one filled the gap rather quickly when they saw that it was a very effective way to fight. I don't see anything really different in G00. Also, we must keep in mind that producing an army of grunt units costs very probably far much more than the construction of a simple bunch of more advanced MS: maybe the balance is more related to these numbers, the old debate of quality vs quantity

Anyway, eager to see more :)

I think the Haro has been around since MS Gundam and has been recurring in Zeta Gundam and Seed/Seed Destiny. I think its gonna be the recurring mascot now like the chocobo is for the FF series.

well, let's check.... 0080... nope, no Haro, 0083.... hmmm, none there either, MS Igloo.... surprisingly Haro free, Wing? nope, none there either...

So, Haros don't have to be in gundam shows.

well, let's check.... 0080... nope, no Haro, 0083.... hmmm, none there either, MS Igloo.... surprisingly Haro free, Wing? nope, none there either...

So, Haros don't have to be in gundam shows.

In the Universal Century timeline, Amuro built the first Haro, and he was with him from the very first episode. He wouldn't have shown up in the OVAs just because aside from Stardust Memory, they're all set during the One Year War, when the only Haro would be with Amuro.

In Zeta, Kamille finds a broken Haro on the moon. Bright figured it's just a toy, so apparently they were like those damn Robo-Raptors in 0087, but Kamille wonders if it isn't the original, as it seems to remember Amuro. IIRC, as that Haro winds up on the Argama, it does turn up in ZZ Gundam.

No Haros in Char's Counter Attack, and I don't recall (but I'd have to rewatch) any in F91. There was a Haro in Victory, but after that, SEED was the first AU Gundam with Haros.

Haro has always been a Gundam mascot. In Japan, there was even a Gundam-themed Puyo Pop game for the GBA that used Haros instead of Puyos.

No Haros in Char's Counter Attack, and I don't recall (but I'd have to rewatch) any in F91. There was a Haro in Victory, but after that, SEED was the first AU Gundam with Haros.

Haro has always been a Gundam mascot. In Japan, there was even a Gundam-themed Puyo Pop game for the GBA that used Haros instead of Puyos.

Haro was in CCA. I think it ended up in Noah's possession.