Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - <<Season 1>>

Massive spoiler for episode 24:

- Ptolemy is attacked by UN forces led by a mobile armour piloted by Alejandro. Its armed with a long range mega beam cannon which damages Ptolemy on it first shot.

- Epic battle followed with Exia goes after Alejandro.

- Kyrios damaged (losing an arm and leg)

- Nadleh is disabled, but not before Tiera put an end to Patrick miserable piloting skill.

- Ptolemy sunk after a GN-X shot the bridge, mortally wounded Christie and the guy pilot.

- Only 3 crew survive the Ptolemy explosion.

That's remind me of Zeta....

lots of body bags.

This show is definitely getting better, blows away whiny ass Fukuda by a long shot. Isn't the director the same one that did Full Metal Alchemist?

Yeah, they managed to kill off my favorite Meister. That, and some guy on 4chan (not even in /m/) spoiled

Chris' death

for me.

Looks like they also killed me off. ^_^

That's the one thing I don't like about this show. Some characters exit after only mildly contributing

Kinue

or not at all.

Really, what was the point to Patrick? He gets involved, disappears for numerous episodes, starts a mildly developed love affair with a new character, than survives a few times just to apparently get blown away by Tiera in a desperation move. Seems he only existed to set up the woman and damage Needleah.

Heck even

Chris and Lechty

barely get anything before kicking the bucket.

This show is definitely getting better, blows away whiny ass Fukuda by a long shot. Isn't the director the same one that did Full Metal Alchemist?

You would be correct sir! Seji Mizushima directed FMA, Slayers Next, and Shaman King.

Honestly, I didn't care much about Patrick, I knew he'd eventually be getting his, but I thought it would of been more delivered by Setsuna since he first faught him rather than Teiria.

As for Chris and Litchy, I felt VERY bad for them, but talk about pulling one over the eyes seeing that Litchy is some kind of prostetic cyborg.

So is there 25 episodes for this first season? Or something to that extent? The second season completes the show with 25 more? Man, where's Strike Freedom ZGMF X20A when you need it!

I think I'm buying the 1/60 Bandai DX figure of Exia, I'm starting to like it, minus the tiny feet....it looks more like a woman's armor system.

Well anyhow, Sumeragi Lee Noriega is still hot! Heh heh.

Wow...did Tomino direct eipsode 24? :lol:

Pretty awesome episode and showed how badly CB was doing even with their supposed ace up the sleeve, Trans Am. Patrick really served no purpose in the whole of 00. Maybe he gets turned into a cyborg or something like Orange-kun.

So is there 25 episodes for this first season? Or something to that extent? The second season completes the show with 25 more?

Yes, 25 episodes this season. 2nd season starts in October. Hasn't this been mentioned every where already.... :rolleyes:

That's the one thing I don't like about this show. Some characters exit after only mildly contributing

Kinue

or not at all.

Really, what was the point to Patrick? He gets involved, disappears for numerous episodes, starts a mildly developed love affair with a new character, than survives a few times just to apparently get blown away by Tiera in a desperation move. Seems he only existed to set up the woman and damage Needleah.

Heck even

Chris and Lechty

barely get anything before kicking the bucket.

Well, that's the whole point. War kills them before they even get a chance to do anything. =)

I stopped watching this weeks ago after the Trinty twats came in and it seemed to be heading in the Seed super gumdam showdown route.

My friend however kept watching and yesterday he told me that the episodes had taken on an almost Tomino like callousness towards the characters. Needless to say that piqued my interest so I just downloaded and watched episodes 18-23 in one sitting and I am feeling quite impressed.

Overall it has few of the the famous Gundam cliches and not many predictable endings either, the whole tragedy that befell Lousie was nothing short of a war crime and I actually all but cheered when they got what was coming to them.

23 however has just left me feeling a little bit sad, it was a good ending but damn he was the best character. :(

I'm more interested to see what Saji will do from here then just about anyone else in the cast though.

I'm more interested to see what Saji will do from here then just about anyone else in the cast though.

You may have to wait for next season, unfortunately. At this point, whatever we may see of him will probably just be a short sequence till October.

Well, that's the whole point. War kills them before they even get a chance to do anything. =)

Cute. :blink: Except that this isn't war, but a TV show. As such, characters have to die in service of the story, especially if they haven't really done anything yet. Why waste precious screentime on someone if they exit with no impact on anything to pull retarded "war is meaningless" statement that can be conveyed with, you know, actual storytelling? Justifying it with that answer reeks of bad directing. You can easily kill a character in a before their time way and still be in service to the plot, like they did

Lockon

. However, characters whose only purpose is essentially to be canon fodder mid series and to give the appearance of CB getting a bloody nose (or the basic concept of "Something's got to blow up") is poor writing. These characters basically die for the other characters to mourn, not the audience, and, unlike Saji's predicament, serves nothing to advance the plot and lacks any impact (hard to mourn someone you don't even know outside of "they killed that cute chick!", not really an important impact, wouldn't you say?). Actual canon fodder can be put to that use as it is, no need to introduce a whole pointless character.

I think I heard that argument on 4chan. That's reading way too deeply into things, and putting meaning where there is absolutely none. There's no archetype of character whose purpose is to merely die outside of the CF or Red Shirt character, and they're not supposed to last 20 episodes only to accomplish a mild threat level at the very end (barely damaging a Gundam).

AS I heard the director say, basically CB is paying for the last 23 episodes. Only it's doing so in one meaningful death, and a bunch of ones that are rather pointless outside of "Oh My God, they killed -----" (though at least they serve that purpose,

Patrick

probably won't )

I notice that this seems to like to build chara motivation through death or tragedy alone instead of actual development.

Let's just hope she doesn't get any hotter... as in 10,000 degrees hot. :p

Agreed. I think I really will call it quits if they kill her off. She's about the only female character left outside of maybe Marina with any development left.I think I heard that argument on 4chan. That's reading way too deeply into things, and putting meaning where there is absolutely none. There's no archetype of character whose purpose is to merely die outside of the CF or Red Shirt character, and they're not supposed to last 20 episodes only to accomplish a mild threat level at the very end (barely damaging a Gundam).

As I heard the director say, basically CB is paying for the last 23 episodes. Only it's doing so in one meaningful death, and a bunch of ones that are rather pointless outside of "Oh My God, they killed -----" (though at least they serve that purpose,

Patrick

probably won't )

I notice that this seems to like to build chara motivation through death or tragedy alone instead of actual development.

Overall it has few of the the famous Gundam cliches and not many predictable endings either, the whole tragedy that befell Lousie was nothing short of a war crime and I actually all but cheered when they got what was coming to them.

23 however has just left me feeling a little bit sad, it was a good ending but damn he was the best character. sad.gif

Yeah, that was one of the best written moments. Even teared me up, which shows how good the writing can be when they do it right seeing a I loathed Louise. She was a horrible character, and I'm glad she's gone for now. As such, I didn't really feel much hatred for Trinity as they hurt characters I didn't really give a damn about. Though it served the plot well. Sad it took that long for Louise and Saji to really become relevant.

I agree that he was the best of the Meisters. You could actually relate to him.

Unlike Split Personality, Robot, and Mr. Justice (though he's the second best)

^_^.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Massive spoiler for episode 24:

[...]

That's remind me of Zeta....

lots of body bags.

My though exactly

Like previous week, 'can't wait for the next epidsode: this show definitely has greatly improved since its beginning :)

Is there an english subbed .avi of ep 24 out yet?

The first one I downloaded was a damn, dirty raw and the second was in Spainsh or Porteugese or something I couldn't understand a word of. :(

Shinsen and Nyoron has 24 out some time ago.

Personally I don't see how those meaningless deaths are bad directing at all. Yes, they might be for the survivors to develop but I still preffer this take than having Kira Yamato show up and save the day with his perfection.

Well yeah, it's not like plot armor and over powered mecha bad, but it's not about meaningless deaths, but rather meaningless characters. The bridge crew wasn't so much in that it could at least be viewed as a "no one's safe" mentality. Though it would've been nice to have gotten to know the a bit more (at least it wasn't X Movie pointless ^_^). As I explained before though, in the case of

Patrick

his character played pretty much no part at all in the plot, making any screen time he had essentially wasted. It's like they thought him up merely to have his faction represented and to introduce and also damage things some faceless character could've done. Heck, even Trinity contributed more before being owned, and they were in about 1/5th as much. If the point of it is merely to say, "war is meaningless", than if that's not a case of bad writing/directing, I don't know what is simply because there's no need for it to be this way. Having the characters mourn is great, but wouldn't be better had they made it someone you didn't want to see go either? Granted, I think I'd rather see

Feldt go since Chris actually had a personality (though they're at least sort of doing something with her), but i can't really say I'd mourn Chris much either, since all she really was

was personality

. It's not the first time 00 had rather pointless characters. Saji and Louise practically served no value to the show outside of having some bystanders to react. Though even Louise served the storyline eventually with her injury. Even Marina has felt a little expendable at times. Heck, Howard and Daryl seem to only exist not to fuel Graham. Even Wang Liu Mei has sort of been reduced from supporting character to mere wildcard for the time being.

Hopefully they'll do something with it, otherwise it's just a waste. Rumours state him merely MIA, though how is anyones guess. I'm hoping so as my argument states.

Seems they're basically closing this chapter up, and starting anew come S2. I wouldn't be shocked if the Gundams got massive overhauls or completely replaced.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Hopefully they'll do something with it, otherwise it's just a waste. Rumours state him merely MIA, though how is anyones guess. I'm hoping so as my argument states.

Possible. I seen some discussion on other forums that the cockpits of GN drive equipped MS are in the crotch area rather than the chest area. And that lingering shot of the lower half of the GN-X floating away could be a hint...

r u guys seriously expecting something out of patrick? wasn't it obvious from the start that his sole reason for existence was comic relief? i wouldn't want him to start developing into an actual real character. kill him off and don't bring him back.

What? MF can't hold you over till October?

Well, yeah it probably will no doubt. I'm just thinking about how the true conclusion to the show will go.

It's my HD which can't hold

Amen, I got to clear out a bunch of stuff to make room, luckily for me, alot of the shows I've been watching ended this week so I can put those to bed.

You've got 5 days to get a new HD or start clearing room on that HD...get cleaning already.

[...]

I'll have finished Gaiking today: that'll do about 7Ggs, more than enough... ^_^

'All as planned' ;)

w00ts. As expected of a final episode of Gundam series. Suits get trashed. New suits show up and get trashed almost immediately....the man who everyone wanted to wear a mask finally reveals himself.....w00ts.

Just finished watch Gundam 00 season 1, and I have a few thoughts.

I thought the show was fairly well done for the most part up until the end. I swear the last four or five episodes started feeling like Bandai doing directions telling the team producing the show to introduce more models, and gin up more action for the masses who are just excited with big things blowing up.

The good things about the first 25 episodes:

- Fairly well structured story line

- Good flow of actions for the most part

- Show was fairly well driven by characters

- Characters are fairly interesting, and I'm sure they'll be additional character development in the future (and I don't mean the Athrun Zala, Shin Asuka sob story)

- I truly like the idea that even in undergunned suits and perpetually losing, but the characters thought about how to beat up on Gundams using strategy, tactics, in other words, they didn't rely on technology.

The last few episodes though has not been quite as good as the earlier story, and I think the biggest problem is technology starting to supplant characters.

- GN-X appears on the scene, and suddenly, both Kathy and Sergei who had been pretty smart about how to use their brains to compensate for inferior technology just turn into dumb robots.

- An effort to get in one more giant robot, they removed the Graham development for a few minutes of fighting Setsuna.

I actually hoped they hadn't introduced the giant mobile armor, I really don't like evil masterminds suddenly driving giant mobile suits. It would've been nice if Sergei had said withdraw, but Kathy countered by saying they had orders to keep up the attack even without backup. Then Graham showed up as their only backup. Alex could've been just killed on the spot by Ribbons, and there was a easy story that can be made up... i.e. Ribbons can't kill Aeolia, he needed Alex to do it, now he breaks Alex's neck, that would've been good. Then that would've left room for just a bit of Graham development, I see no reason why they couldn't have still wrecked Ptolemy and the rest of the Gundams with just the GN-X and the souped up FLAG. After all, the pilots with the GN-X aren't dumb, they have people like Sergei and Kathy leading them, who aren't stupid. They could've done what Alex did with just good tactics and strategy. So, this is a bit disappointing.

Overall though, the show was still fantastic, I don't mind the time skip, kind of like what they did with BSG. Ought to be good if they can flush out more back story with Sumeragi, Alleuljuah, Soma, and a few other characters.

Edited by kalvasflam

As I've said elsewhere, The introduction of the GN-X felt cheap. They've beaten the Gundams a few times only to be saved by some secret. Then they get handed the GN-X and it becomes a free-for-all. Graham's entrance into the battlefield with his GN-equipped OverFlag felt very out of place for me. He really didn't have a point for being there except to cause more damage. I would have preferred that his character been left out of the battle. Good thing they left Nena out of the fight. That would have been much worst.

The series did start out good, but I do agree it didn't feel right on the last few episodes. I felt character development was a bit sparse and that there would be some reliance on Season 2 to fill in the gaps. It would have been better if they filled in a few more gaps this season.

I got chills when they showed the GN-0. That looks like an

RX-78

retrofitted with a Solar furnace.

You see GN-0 in episode 1 where it saves the day and became Setsuna's saviour. :lol:

00 isn't character driven and it feels very much plot driven actually since it doesn't seem to have a main character. Some characters should've gotten more spotlight than others like instead of Patrick, show us more Graham. >_<

I still wonder what was so great about Nadleeh's trial system and why was it such a trump card for CB. Now that Ribbons has the tech, could he probably control the whole UN's peacekeeping forces with it? Dyname's ability to fire into space from earth was also not used after it was revealed, and Tiera and co. were bitching about how their trump cards are being exposed.

Some characters should've gotten more spotlight than others like instead of Patrick, show us more Graham. >_<

i agree with you on that one 100%. as others have said, they should have chosen either graham or coroner for the last battle against setsuna, not both. it's great to have an arch nemesis that you duke it out with at the end, but when you have more than one arch nemesis, it's a little too much. one of them is gonna feel tacked on. it wasn't perfect, but it was still a great episode with lots of action. i'm looking forward to next season, although it looks like next season will be more of a typical gundam series with a federation and a resistance movement.

i agree with you on that one 100%. as others have said, they should have chosen either graham or coroner for the last battle against setsuna, not both. it's great to have an arch nemesis that you duke it out with at the end, but when you have more than one arch nemesis, it's a little too much. one of them is gonna feel tacked on. it wasn't perfect, but it was still a great episode with lots of action. i'm looking forward to next season, although it looks like next season will be more of a typical gundam series with a federation and a resistance movement.

I get the feeling it won't be a resistance movement. Based on who we see with the gundams I have a feeling that CB will really be the bad guys this go around. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we see another faction rise up with the Federation possibly caught in the middle. On one hand we have CB with the Chinese woman that wants the world to burn with psycho Nena in tow. Then the Federation with the Earth based aces now apart of a single group with our new masked pilot. Also we have the guy that betrayed Coroner with his little group most likely controlling the Federation to a degree but clearly wanting power and control for himself and his group. The Federation at this moment seems to be the only sensible and "good" group out of the three.

The Federation faction outside of say the Gundam X and Wing (even then the true enemy was Oz) has never really been the bad guy that needed to be resisted. There were a lot of shades of gray. (Not including the SEED universe since the writing itself was slanted against anything that wasn't Zaft, Orb, or a coordinator.). The Titans were really more of a separate group in Zeta I believe that took over and in the end didn't the Federation end up supporting the AEUG?

It was said that season 1 was suppose to be about destruction and season 2 would be about rebuilding I think. Perhaps the focus might be on the Federation and how it deals with outside groups (CB) and inside groups as it tries to keep itself together. Season 1 was already focused on CB. Seems like like a repeat to focus on them again as they go for a "redo" to remake the world.

Edited by Effect

i seriously doubt that. first of all, it didn't appear like neena was with wong liu ming and the professor when they were looking at o-gundam. it seemed more like neena was spying on them. wong liuming is a little crazy, but i don't see that as good reasoning for speculating that CB are the villains. there's no doubt in my mind CB and setsuna will once again be the protagonists of the series. ribbons (lol at that name) and his little crew of "innovators" are probably the main antagonists, with the federation's unification army being their puppets.