DYRL on HD?

Zinjo

Well it appears that Bandai Visual has stepped into the HD fray...

Since they were the ones who released the DYRL Perfect edition, there is a very real possibility that they may give DYRL the HD treatment...

We'll have to wait and see, but it is a positive step in that direction...

The most interesting software announcement at the HD-DVD event was the revelation that Bandai Visual, in partnership with Memory-tech and Microsoft, has decided to begin releasing classic anime titles on the format using the VC-1 codec. That means you can expect great series like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop in high-definition. It was unclear whether or not this support is exclusive to HD-DVD, but still it's very exciting news for anime fans.

~Digital Bits

Well, if DYRL does eventually become one of the HD projects, let's hope that they go back and remaster it from the original film rather than older video masters. That's the only way we'll see any benefit from HD.

Well, if DYRL does eventually become one of the HD projects, let's hope that they go back and remaster it from the original film rather than older video masters. That's the only way we'll see any benefit from HD.

To get a reasonable HD master they'd have to go back to the film stock as it has a higher resolution than HD.

Indeed.

It would be somewhat unfathomable as to WHY they would do a DVD or LaserDisk rip, but stranger things have happened.

And I would LOVE to see an HD version of DYRL.

Of course it'll be region-coded and I'll have to curse vehemently at whoever thought that idea up, but... ya win some, ya lose some.

The region coding idea was to make more money, but with piracy so prevalent there is a debate as to whether that is even feasable anymore.

Many are arguing that the fastest way to kill piracy is to do a worldwide release at the same time with no region coding to maximize profits, but so far nothing new has been agreed upon.

To get a reasonable HD master they'd have to go back to the film stock as it has a higher resolution than HD.

You say that as though it's not what I just said.

Well, if it were on BluRay, aren't Japan and US in the same region? That'd be cool. I don't know about the regions on HDDVD

North America = region 1

Japan (and East Asia, not sure about SouthEast Asia) = region 2

Though that is for DVDs, and no idea about BluRay. Speaking strictly of BluRay releases, there's the added potential difficulty (which may emerge) where North America is HD DVD and Asia is BluRay.

Simultaneous releases might work; especially if a movie is released on disc at the same time as it is released in theaters. I read an article on the BBC World News about the latest Bond movie's premiere in China, and how pirates were already selling DVDs of it on the street for 1/6 the cost of going to see the movie.

You say that as though it's not what I just said.

Guys, seriously.. in order to see any benefit on HD players, they would have to go back and remaster it from film.

BOMBAAAAA ^_^:lol:

North America = region 1

Japan (and East Asia, not sure about SouthEast Asia) = region 2

Though that is for DVDs, and no idea about BluRay. Speaking strictly of BluRay releases, there's the added potential difficulty (which may emerge) where North America is HD DVD and Asia is BluRay.

Simultaneous releases might work; especially if a movie is released on disc at the same time as it is released in theaters. I read an article on the BBC World News about the latest Bond movie's premiere in China, and how pirates were already selling DVDs of it on the street for 1/6 the cost of going to see the movie.

US and Japan are in Region-A territories for Blu-Ray:

http://animeondvd.com/reviews/index.php

Edited by treatment

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
HD-DVD is region free. Yet another perk for HD-DVD over Blu-Ray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD

Actually you are mistaken, they are currently working on the HDDVD codes. - read these:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/26/hd-dvd-...na-only-format/

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060526-6927.html

Bluray Disc Regions:

400px-Blu-ray_regions_with_key.png

Region code Area

A/1 North America, Central America, South America, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia.

B/2 Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

C/3 India, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central and South Asia.

However, it appears both camps are reluctant to encode the regions until the formats become widely adopted in the market.

HD is wide-screen. I can't remember, is the original film widescreen?

DYRL was a theatrical film released in 35mm, it was indeed widescreen.

Edited by Zinjo

Actually I'm not mistaken

This time they approved two working programs which could be very interesting in the coming months and years: the first calls for development of a spec and region map, and the enforcement of region codes for HD DVD video discs -- where there currently is none (much to the benefit of most consumers, and to their advantage over Blu-ray). It's yet to be finalized and pushed through for future revisions of the HD DVD spec,

If RPC is ultimately approved and incorporated into the HD DVD format, it is unclear how the players that have already been sold will handle it. The most logical solution would be to allow the current handful of HD DVD players already on the market to play any HD DVD. Unfortunately, history tell us that logic is not one of the entertainment industry's strong suits, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that region-coded HD DVDs will cause problems for some early adopters.

See HD-DVD IS region free unlike BluRay. Both articles make it pretty clear I thought that region coding is something that is being looked into, but NOTHING is finalized. You should be careful with articles like these that are full of words like "could", "yet", "if" etc.

Actually you are mistaken, they are currently working on the HDDVD codes. - read these:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/26/hd-dvd-...na-only-format/

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060526-6927.html

Bluray Disc Regions:

400px-Blu-ray_regions_with_key.png

Region code Area

A/1 North America, Central America, South America, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia.

B/2 Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

C/3 India, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central and South Asia.

However, it appears both camps are reluctant to encode the regions until the formats become widely adopted in the market.

DYRL was a theatrical film released in 35mm, it was indeed widescreen.

can never really tell if it's really going to be HD-DVD or Blu-Ray...

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3170

HD remastered reissue of the feature " Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love." Content remastered from the original 35mm positive HD telecine and completely restored. Limited edition memorial box includes two bonus discs with the complete original film in its un-remastered theatrical release edition, trailers, previews, and other rare footage.

Running Time: 115mins.

NTSC Format

Layers: single-sided/dual-layered

Aspect Ratio(s): Vista

Region Code: 2 (Japan, Europe, Middle East, and South Africa only)

Color

Encoding: MPEG-2

Subtitles: None

Audio Track :

Japanese: Dolby Digital Surround

As usual, the details don't make much sense to the rest of the world.

This is just a deluxe dvd version of DYRL using the High Definition masters they've made.

Apparently BV havn't announced any plans to port it over to HD or Blu-Ray so we can actually watch it in High Definition.

This is still good news. This new edition should be vastly superior to the original R2 release. I wonder what Hurin thinks about that?

Okay, so consensus is that there is news about a remastered standard DVD release?

Booyah! :o

HD would be nice. But a remastered standard DVD is really great too. If they really did go back to the film and get a new master without all the interlacing problems, it'll make a big difference.

If this pans out, I'll be thrilled that I didn't spend the hundreds of man-hours IVTC-ing this title by hand. How f'ing dumb would I be feeling right about now?

Thanks for the info!

Okay, so consensus is that there is news about a remastered standard DVD release?

Booyah! :o

HD would be nice. But a remastered standard DVD is really great too. If they really did go back to the film and get a new master without all the interlacing problems, it'll make a big difference.

If this pans out, I'll be thrilled that I didn't spend the hundreds of man-hours IVTC-ing this title by hand. How f'ing dumb would I be feeling right about now?

Thanks for the info!

Indeed. I have both the Japanese VHS and DVD releases of this thing and let me tell you, I would much rather watch the VHS than the headache-inducing interlacing on the DVD. No other DVD I have is that bad. This is a real shame and pretty much ruins the whole experience of the movie because the beautiful animation is totally wrecked.

As for the extras, they have the same ads, trailers and stuff... I don't think they have much new stuff. The two-disc edition contains the original edition of the film as seen in theatres, i.e. MONOAURAL sound instead of Dolby Surround. No idea what the big deal is about that thing. What I want to know is why is there no 5.1 edition yet???

Edited by Renato

Actually I'm not mistaken

See HD-DVD IS region free unlike BluRay. Both articles make it pretty clear I thought that region coding is something that is being looked into, but NOTHING is finalized. You should be careful with articles like these that are full of words like "could", "yet", "if" etc.

For now, but not much longer...

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/26/hd..._region_coding/

http://avzombie.com/blog/2007/09/12/region...-dvd-hairspray/

I suspect if HDDVD wants to survive the format war, they'll have to adopt some region coding to appease the studios or face a continued lack of content, New Line is only the first studio to take a stand, WB could very well be next.

The market doesn't want region coding, but the content providers want to protect their revenue sources by continuing to be able to release films internationally "after" domestic films have gone to home video. It's all about the money.

When the dust settles I expect both formats to have region coding, but the XBOX360 and the PS3 will remain region free with respect to games.

Edited by Zinjo

From your experiences in Japan can you say if home theaters systems are popular over there? From my understanding, most Japanese homes are fairly small so I always wondered if they were willing to sacrifice space for a home theater setup.

Good point. They still sell monaural TVs. I guess even though TV shows like GitS and of course OVAs like MacZero are mixed in 5.1 when released on DVD, they don't really bother to remix the sound for old anime. Shame, though, that they are going all out to remaster the visuals in HD but they neglect the audio, when it should be just as important....

For the record, I have a poor-man's 5.1 in my bedroom made out of old computer speakers and stuff. Nothing particularly hi-fi, but goes to show that you do not necessarily need to blow craploads of cash on a huge-ass home theatre system to take advantage of what ought to be standard on the DVD format.

Space, able to afford it, and the kicker - free time to enjoy it. Most people don't have two of those, many don't have all three.

Renato, I bet you get ugly looks from your neighbours, 'cause you're too noisy. うるさい外国人やな。  :lol: