DYRL on HD?

Zinjo

Space, able to afford it, and the kicker - free time to enjoy it. Most people don't have two of those, many don't have all three.

That probably explains why there's no 5.1 in this new set. Converting an entire television series to 5.1 is probably an expensive process that takes up a lot of time and most of BV's Japanese customers don't have the setup necessary to take advantage of it. But in the case of a new TV series it's probably easier to use 5.1 from the get-go.

I wonder if BV licensed Animeigo's SDF Macross masters from Harmony Gold, or are they going to reinvent the wheel and remaster the video themselves. Animeigo did a good job on their release so it'll be an interesting comparison if BV plows ahead with their own.

They are defintly doing their own remastering since they are creating a brand new, fresh print from scratch so they don't need Harmony's Golds old and tired masters to work from.

I'm sure someone will post screencaps when it's released and we can see the differences for ourselves.

Good point. They still sell monaural TVs. I guess even though TV shows like GitS and of course OVAs like MacZero are mixed in 5.1 when released on DVD, they don't really bother to remix the sound for old anime. Shame, though, that they are going all out to remaster the visuals in HD but they neglect the audio, when it should be just as important....

But remastering the visuals is just restoring them. Repairing damage and going back to source to get away from artifacts introduced in prior video-ifications(mainly interlacing, unless we're dealing with a VHS rip instead of LaserDisk).

Not fabricating non-existent information.

That's more like colorizing black&white films.

I'm very much in favor of leaving it in it's original format. Restore it, by all means. But don't go wasting the disk space on a 6-channel mix for a show that never had a surround soundtrack to start with.

Also worth noting that, contrary to your statement, using the original stereo format actually allows for higher-quality audio, since all the audio data is dedicated to two channels instead of split up among 6(even granting that one is a limited-range subwoofer channel).

Not that it matters in the US, since we almost invariably get a Dolby Digital soundtrack at a fairly low bitrate, regardless of how much disk space is left(though that bitrate would have better sound with less channels), while Japan tends towards high-bitrate PCM soundtracks.

So the US gets lower-quality audio, and almost invariably has space for more soundtracks, though they don't bother to put the original stereo/mono track in.

Edited by JB0

Here's an idea. Include ALL of the Flashback 2012 video at the end of the new DYRL DVD instead of just the first few seconds. I was overjoyed when I first watched my DYRL DVD and, after I thought it was over, I saw the Flashback video. I thought, "Man, this is perfect, DYRL the way the creators wanted it to be." And then, the video just cut out to the rolling credits! I was shocked. Why only include part of the video?

(And I should add, disc space is not an issue. The Tenchi Muyo OVA set is renown for it's perfect picture quality, and it has all 7 episodes (3.5 hours) on ONE disc.)

Here's an idea. Include ALL of the Flashback 2012 video at the end of the new DYRL DVD instead of just the first few seconds. I was overjoyed when I first watched my DYRL DVD and, after I thought it was over, I saw the Flashback video. I thought, "Man, this is perfect, DYRL the way the creators wanted it to be." And then, the video just cut out to the rolling credits! I was shocked. Why only include part of the video?

(And I should add, disc space is not an issue. The Tenchi Muyo OVA set is renown for it's perfect picture quality, and it has all 7 episodes (3.5 hours) on ONE disc.)

Because only part of Flashback was intended to be in DYRL in the first place. The rest is a mish-mash that, oni many cases, doesn't fit with the movie(since Flashback has DYRL AND TV series sequences in it).

Again I say: Flashback is grossly over-rated.

Because only part of Flashback was intended to be in DYRL in the first place. The rest is a mish-mash that, oni many cases, doesn't fit with the movie(since Flashback has DYRL AND TV series sequences in it).

Right, I'm just talking about the (then) newly animated Angel's Paint music video, which I thought I made clear by using the words "the" and "video", instead of the words "all the videos". Now that we have that cleared up, there's no good reason why that one entire video is not included. We wanna see the f'in Megaroad launch at the end of DYRL, damnit. It's the way it should be.

Right, I'm just talking about the (then) newly animated Angel's Paint music video, which I thought I made clear by using the words "the" and "video", instead of the words "all the videos". Now that we have that cleared up, there's no good reason why that one entire video is not included. We wanna see the f'in Megaroad launch at the end of DYRL, damnit. It's the way it should be.

No. "the way it should be" is as it originally was shown in Japanese cinemas in 1984. I`m sick of people trying to change history.

Okay. That makes a lot more sense.

I thought you meant like, the entire video cassette/LaserDisk/whatever else Flashback is on.

No. "the way it should be" is as it originally was shown in Japanese cinemas in 1984. I`m sick of people trying to change history.

Okay, I can accept that. But, if you're going to add the Angel's Paint video to DYRL, isn't better to add the whole thing and not just the first 30 seconds?

To please everyone, they could include an alternate cut (same way they do "director's cuts") that includes the entire video.

I'm just saying, include the whole music video or no video at all. The way it is now, my DYRL DVD seems incomplete because it only shows part of the video.

Seriously, sometimes I believe Bandai wants to sabotage all of their non-Gundam Sci-Fi releases.

The Angel's Paint video always seemed extremely jarring to me. The animation style is so utterly different. . . it's not exactly seamless. And, well, it's not even that great, IMHO. I'd rather have had it just fade to black as it originally did.

Personally I've always thought of Flashback as DYRL "bonus materials". If there is ever a HD release of DYRL I would like to see both the Saturn shooter intro animation and Flashback 2012 (in it's entirety) as additional "bonus features". I'd also like to see a pop up facts feature for the movie (notating all the "in jokes", cameos and other tidbits of info) and possibly a commentary track with Kawamori and the other original crew. There are just so many neat things that can be done with modern bonus materials using HD DVD's and Blu Ray's built in "real time" functionality, provided the studio puts in the time. Picture in picture, storyboard to video comparisons, you name it.

They only added in what the original DYRL storyboards called for.

I never heard that before, but it makes sense, and I have no reason to disbelieve you. If true, then I guess I can forgive Bandai for releasing it that way. It still feels incomplete to me, being that it's only part of the music video, and I'm guessing a lot of other people must feel that way.

And Hurin, you really thought the animation wasn't great? I agree that it's different, but I think it's gorgeous. It looks like a moving painting to me, which, granted, isn't as"clean" as traditional animation.

I didn't say it wasn't great animation. I said it was jarring in its dissimilarity to the rest of DYRL. To me, it's like having Bugs Bunny appear at the end of a Transformers episode.

And, honestly, I've just never been ga-ga over what that video offers. I don't really appreciate it as being an appropriate end to DYRL. I guess it's too "uplifting" for my tastes.

I never heard that before, but it makes sense, and I have no reason to disbelieve you. If true, then I guess I can forgive Bandai for releasing it that way. It still feels incomplete to me, being that it's only part of the music video, and I'm guessing a lot of other people must feel that way.

Appreciate the trust. But if you ever want to see the storyboards for DYRL then pick up the Do You Remember Love? Story Board and Dialogue book. The Flashback footage that was added onto DYRL in the 1992 Perfect Edition release is 98% accurate to what the storyboards originally called for, right down to the closing pan shot of the SDF-1. The only differences are Minmay's stage costume and a shot of Hikaru and Misa sitting in the audience.

dyrl_storyboard_front.jpg

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Crazy wish, but have them include the opening sequence from DYRL? Saturn/PS2 games as a bonus. That's the opening I would have liked to see to have a "completeness" sense from the movie.

But that's only half-there too.

Remember, the Saturn/PS1 game has an animation sequence of Skull squadron launching and the Prometheus getting vaped, then a side-scrolling game level, then another FMV of the Macross folding out. There's no transition between the two since they're bookendings for a gameplay stage.

You'd need to create ANOTHER new animation sequence to bridge the first and second existing sequence.

In the same vein, I'd LOVE to see the ARMD attack animation and stage added. GPB 1Js kicking ass en masse! :D