first toy purchase as an adult

we can all agree that most of here are adults with jobs, families, and an uncontrolable need to relive our youth through toy purchases, but what set it off? what was the first toy purchase(no video games or gadgets)you made as an adult and used the excuse, its for nostalgia sake? :D

me, i bought a LEGO fright nights castle set when i was 21 or 22 on my way home from work one day. from there i moved onto other lego themes and eventually found my way to robotech/macross.

so what about you guys? what was your first toy purchase as an adult? what brought you to where you are now?

Legos don't count for me, since I never stopped buying them. Although, since my son is into Legos it gives me even more reason to buy them.

As to what set off my addiction of purchasing toys, it would have to be the 1/60 VF-1S. Once I got that, I had to have more so I got the next two releases of the 1/60. Then came the 1/48 and all hell broke loose, but due to monetary constraints I was only able to get two of those. Then came the reissue Transformers, then the Alternators and now the Classics line.

Who knows when this addiction will end...

I got the McFarlane Toys Sentinel from the Matrix a few years back (wish I hand't, that thing eats a ton of space... good thing I have it parked in my brothers house :lol: ). But the thing that really started me getting toys again was the 1/48 VF-1J. Damn the day :p .

Several Gunpla, LoGH minis and resin kit. I've tried to buy a Star Wars Lego, but my wife stopped me from doing that, even when I'm argued that I'll buy it for my 8 month son she still refused me to buy it :lol:

I just started in January buying a 1/60 VF-1A Max, then came the 1/60 Super Miria, recently 1/60 Strike Roy, and I just can´t stop now (have a 1/60VF-1A Hikkie, HCM pro Strike Freedom and HCM pro Zaku Warrior in the way).

hrm first adult toy? Yamato VF-19A, bought some Mg kits before that, but model kits and toys are two diffrent animals. got a 1/48 VF-1j in 2004. im not rich by no means, but i like to get a little something for myself once in awhile. someday i hope to get the SOC gunbuster and 1/60 YF-19.

The 1st Kaiyodo line of Evangelions....thought their poseability was awesome. The accesories were fun too. That was 4 years ago. Now i look at my room and think to myself.....i've opened pandora's box.

I remember I bought that Boba Fett Vs IG-88 2-pack for a laugh back in '97 or '98.. it just spiralled from there. About the same time I discovered ebay and I was able to mine my nostalgia for toys I loved as a kid. Then I discovered hobbylink japan. So here I am today, in my computer room surrounded by thousands of dollars worth of toys in shelves on every wall looking at me. :D

I don't know how you guys can draw or deliniate a line like this.

I've been buying toys at every age since I had my own allowance to first job to now, etc. At 14-15 I was already buying and selling big ticket (hundreds of dollars) toys like collectables and transformers on newsgroups before ebay came along, etc.

I probably spent more money on toys through 14-18 (late 90s) than I have since then because I'm more sensible with my money as an adult to fill my place with useless material goods.

I guess I'm not really an adult yet - perhaps the thread better describes those with families etc. while I'm still in my mid twenties and have no time or place for toys anymore. I'm certain in my old age when my life is more steady and stable I will induldge once again. I still buy the odd Transformer, nostalgic toy, or Macross item.

Edited by ComicKaze

I don't know how you guys can draw or deliniate a line like this.

I've been buying toys at every age since I had my own allowance to first job to now, etc. At 14-15 I was already buying and selling big ticket (hundreds of dollars) toys like collectables and transformers on newsgroups before ebay came along, etc.

Probably more accurately, what's the 1st toy that you bought with your OWN money (not your parent's) and made you wanna collect more after that.

is that you lord kung fu? :p haha, j/k

sorry i couldn't resist but your statement is so lord kung fu-esque. :D

I'm almost certain it was a spawn figure, just not sure which one. I just couldn't get away from the detail of the figures...i think i started around spawn series 12 or 14 or something.

actually, it was my sister that bought me my frist spawn figure...battleclad spawn...still like that figure very much if it wasn't in 8 million pieces...

i had a hand me down collection of a Bandai 1/55 Hikkie and a Yamato 1A Hikkie from my bro when i was in college..... about 2-3 years ago....

i bought my own 1st valk soon after..... i got an MPC VF-1J Rick Hunter thinking that it was a MASTERPIECE 1/48 from the pictures that i saw....

i didn't know the difference back then.... about 6 months later... i bought a 20th annviersary Prime.... and got into TF's and then the craze began as i used up a lot of my financial aid money on toys.... silly me....

is that you lord kung fu? :p haha, j/k

sorry i couldn't resist but your statement is so lord kung fu-esque. :D

No unfortunately I turned out to be poor and unemployed - selling my toys and scroundging in garage sales to pay for tuition, etc. whereas Lord Kung Fu seems to be some kind of magical day-trading finance god of ye olde legend.

First toy that I bought with my own money? Wow I doubt I could remember that...I wish i could though. It's still kinda fuzzy where to draw the line between when my parents would buy me stuff and when I started buying it myself.

I know my parents stopped buying me toys around Christmas 1994. (What a merry Christmas, Micromachines Star Wars, X-Men figures on liquidation, etc. G2 Transformers)...You know I'm sure I probably bought something in a store with my own money but I went through that whole phase of being embarassed as a teenaged kid to be buying toys in a store.

I do remember my first significant online toy purchase with my own money was probably 1984 G1 Sunstreaker which I bought online for $40 in 1996 or so...followed a few weeks later with a Matchbox SDF-1 !!!!!! ($60)

Edited by ComicKaze

Packaging 340 at SDSU which required us to make "point of purchase" displays for toys. So I visited Toys R Us for reference and saw Spawn series, and turned to eBay in 1999. Not a long time, but the money spent on toys since then can definitely cover our first year of mortgage on a townhome we just bought.

I'm about to sell several 1/48s on ebizzy to pay for the wedding reception...hee hee.

I did - I stopped around 12.. I vaguely remember thinking that toys weren't cool anymore. And when you're in your teens you're terribly concerned if you're cool or not. By about 22 or so I definitely didn't care anymore. :p

PS Haterist - I also have three ferarris and a warehouse full of 1/48's. But don't hate the playa.

My first was a 12" Luke Skywalker I had one as a kid .

I beat the heck out of that toy as well as the rest of my toys

When they started making those again around 199?, I found that

alot of older toys lines were coming back.

I've been buying ever since

A Darth Maul figure back around Christmas 2000(?) :unsure:

First Macross-related product as an adult: the Bandai Reissue VF-1S from a vendor at Frank & Sons (not sure which vendor though). Went through a slight detour with the MPC's. And am now a convert to the Church of Yamato.