Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

- Hasbro said that if they release MP Starscream, they'll do him in his G1 colours.

- It was also reported that Hasbro said they gave the idea for MP SS to Takara. I assume this was misinterperated from the meeting Hasbro had with Takara after Botcon 2005 to discuss plans for an Alternators plane line. Presumebly this evolved into MP Starscream.

- Alternators is on hiatus next year, but not cancelled.

- Don Figueroa has said there will be a new Titanium 6-inch War Within Prime Vs War Within Megatron pack, new and improved, since he was dissapointed with the initial toys.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Since Classics is basically 'G1 toys with new designs' homage city, they use rubsigns to play up the G1 nostalgia angle.

These weren't included on the first wave of G1 figures, and while it was a neat gimmick back in those days it just seems kinda lame today.

They don't cost you anything extra and if you don't like them, they can be peeled off.

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea a sticker could be taken off (note extreme sarchasm).

The SDF-1 and other japanese mecha used in the conceptualisation presentation pics for Cybertron were just pics Hasbro grabbed as placeholders for presentation to Hasbro and Takara bosses. Since they didn't have any solid, completed designs, using existing mecha that evokes the 'feel' of what they were after is appropriate for these (formerly) internal company documents.

EDIT: Added above.

Well, at least they have good taste :D

im sure someone else has mentioned this, but why the hell dont the wing stripes follow tje same angle as the edge of the wings? if anything i'd expect them to be swept back, but they actually go forward

They follow the panel line, which are not designed to run parallel to the edge of the wing itself.

These weren't included on the first wave of G1 figures, and while it was a neat gimmick back in those days it just seems kinda lame today.

Now you're nitpicking. For the core of G1's existance, rub signs were used (except for the very late 80s and early 90s) and thus are recognizable to most of the people who had TF toys back then.

And as I said, they would be a new thing for kids of today.

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea a sticker could be taken off (note extreme sarchasm).

Thanks for being rude.

Now you're nitpicking. For the core of G1's existance, rub signs were used (except for the very late 80s and early 90s) and thus are recognizable to most of the people who had TF toys back then.

Yah. The rubsigns were among the most identifiable traits of Transformers.

I mean, if it didn't have rubsigns, it could be anything. Even a GOBOT!

Interestingly, Classics Starscream has the same fictional conformal tanks that MP SS has. Pure coincidence? I thought Classics and MP had completely different design teams. How would 2 different new F-15 seeker molds decide to add conformal tanks, and screw them up in the same way?

As for the stripes: not sure. Seem to follow a panel line, but from what I can see that's NOT how the F-15's wing panel lines are. They'd be further aft, and wouldn't "not parallel" the leading edge as obviously, if they followed the real panel line. Either way, it just looks stupid. And it's Thundercracker's wing stripes anyways!!!! SS has pure red stripes (no white border) and they don't "make a turn" at the tips and head back. TC is the one with a white border that turns back at the tips.

Let's hope the recent rumor I saw (said to be from Hasbro at Botcon) about a US release in anime colors coming this way is true. We should know tomorrow for sure. Though my hopes aren't very high. With the hip and intake kibble, and the Popeye forearms caused by CFT kibble, I'd demand 100% perfect G1 toy colors to buy that mold. (Note, toy colors---for Skywarp there's not much difference, but SS and TC have SO much better colors for their toys than on screen--mainly the shade of blue---TC has got to have his METALLIC blue finish)

I actually really like the return of the rubsigns ... complete G1 homage!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I like them too.

I LOVED that feature as a kid, though I have no clue why.

And I loved the GoBots too, honestly. They turned from robots to vehicles, which was the important part.

They're just an easy joke.

I still think G1 Astrotrain was way better, and the best triple-changer ever. (Blitzwing is still my fave though).

G1 Astrotrain was like 99% perfect in both vehicle modes (hey, a rocket-boosted locomotive was COOL) , yet still managed to have about the best robot mode of any triple-changer.

The new one--it's a shuttle with half a train on the wings. Or it's a train with the back half made up of an upside down shuttle.

The blockiness of a switcher steam locomotive really helped, combined with the boxiness of a shuttle. Going for sleeker, more modern interpretations made it worse. Plus there's only one space shuttle, and I'm getting real sick of the 8,000 quasi-shuttles they've made lately, usually as Jetfire. Either make the real, Rockwell-designed NASA Orbiter, or don't do it at all. It just looks stupid IMHO to make all these "shuttle-esque" designs. Especially when the real shuttle looks the best of all by far. "Made up" cars work fine, since there's zillions of car types on the roads, and zillions more concept cars. But there's only one shuttle, and we all know what it looks like.

I'd love to start collecting the classics line.....probably so I could start putting the Cybertron stuff away cause it clutters my room......but I wont be seeing any of the classics in oregon for probably sometime.....we tend to be VERY slow on the uptake.......I mean hell what it's been 3 months since Mirage and Prime were released or so? And I just NOW find mirage at a walmart?

I see where you're coming from on Astrotrain. The train parts hanging off of him in shuttle mode and to a lesser extent in train mode def. take away from him. Overall i still think they did a pretty bang up job considering how good he looks in robot mode and that he's pretty poseable as well.

Of all the ones that have been confirmed so far, Megatron (Gun) is def. my least fav. The Megatron (Tank) that comes in the 2 pack with another Prime mold is much better. Granted the tank is more a homage to his G2 counterpart than his G1 self, i just can't get past how much he looks like a green and orange Guncon. Other than that i think i'll be picking them all up.

Edited by Veritas

I was able to get the 6" titanium Thendercracker and Jetfire today. They are pretty cool. Question though, what version of Thundercracker is this. I seem to remember that the Seekers use to look like some sort of pyramid type fighters in the G1 cartoon before they came to Earth, but it's been so long since I've seen it...more than 20 years....I can't remember and I can't find images to confirm. Is this what this Thundercraker is representing?

Chris

I was able to get the 6" titanium Thendercracker and Jetfire today. They are pretty cool. Question though, what version of Thundercracker is this. I seem to remember that the Seekers use to look like some sort of pyramid type fighters in the G1 cartoon before they came to Earth, but it's been so long since I've seen it...more than 20 years....I can't remember and I can't find images to confirm. Is this what this Thundercraker is representing?

Chris

The 6" Titanium Thundercracker is "War Within" Thundercracker from the Dreamwave Comic of the same name. It was an original design that Don Figureoa made up for the comic, much like War Within Prime from the first Titanium series. Here's a quick rundown, although i don't think there's any pictures of War Within TC, you'll get the idea.

http://cyberstore.decepticon-matrix.com/comicswarwithin.html

Interesting update from BotCon...apparently, one of the extra features on the TFTM 20th anniversary version of the movie is Scramble City. No audio, though...sounds like Hasbro wasn't able to get the rights to it. Supposed to have fan commentary, though.

More pix of the dealer room from BotCon are up at TFW 2005...check the link to see some pix of the upcoming Rumble and Ravage Alternators.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=111781

Of all the ones that have been confirmed so far, Megatron (Gun) is def. my least fav. The Megatron (Tank) that comes in the 2 pack with another Prime mold is much better. Granted the tank is more a homage to his G2 counterpart than his G1 self, i just can't get past how much he looks like a green and orange Guncon.

A Guncon would've actually been a major step up. Strip the orange paint off and a Guncon looks like a real gun.

Was playing with one of the older gray models once, a gun collector walked in and started trying to identify what model gun it was.

That's not going to happen with Classics Meggie, because he's very clearly a made-up weapon(Hasbro's even selling it as a "blaster").

Personally, I think with a more subdued color scheme he could do justice to the original anyways. And I intend to buy him just to spite all the politically-correct anti-fun whiners out there that made people abandon toy guns in the first place.

I am jazzed about the new TF Classics line ... seen some listed on eBay, and looks like Tformers.com has some reviews already.

:)

Has anyone seen any of 'em in their local stores?!?! I know they're supposed to be released in NOV, but some posters on TF boards have claimed they've bought some of 'em.

While I am asking: anyone seen a TF Cybertron Smokescreen in stores yet?

:ph34r:

I am jazzed about the new TF Classics line ... seen some listed on eBay, and looks like Tformers.com has some reviews already.

:)

Has anyone seen any of 'em in their local stores?!?! I know they're supposed to be released in NOV, but some posters on TF boards have claimed they've bought some of 'em.

I saw 'em today at Fry's. AstroTrain, Bumblebee, Megatron, Prime, Starscream, Rodimus. The Hasbro reissue of Prime-20th with the blue-gun was also at Fry's today.

I didn't buy any, tho. I'm currently broke. ^_^;

My friend said he picked up two at one of our local Wal-Marts. If it's hit Hawaii than it should def. be in all of the other "cont." states by now... sorry Alaska. :mellow:

Edited by Veritas

Interestingly, Classics Starscream has the same fictional conformal tanks that MP SS has. Pure coincidence? I thought Classics and MP had completely different design teams. How would 2 different new F-15 seeker molds decide to add conformal tanks, and screw them up in the same way?

As for the stripes: not sure. Seem to follow a panel line, but from what I can see that's NOT how the F-15's wing panel lines are. They'd be further aft, and wouldn't "not parallel" the leading edge as obviously, if they followed the real panel line. Either way, it just looks stupid. And it's Thundercracker's wing stripes anyways!!!! SS has pure red stripes (no white border) and they don't "make a turn" at the tips and head back. TC is the one with a white border that turns back at the tips.

Let's hope the recent rumor I saw (said to be from Hasbro at Botcon) about a US release in anime colors coming this way is true. We should know tomorrow for sure. Though my hopes aren't very high. With the hip and intake kibble, and the Popeye forearms caused by CFT kibble, I'd demand 100% perfect G1 toy colors to buy that mold. (Note, toy colors---for Skywarp there's not much difference, but SS and TC have SO much better colors for their toys than on screen--mainly the shade of blue---TC has got to have his METALLIC blue finish)

Well, Takara engineered both, but they were developed by Hasbro and Takara/Kawamori respectively. Presumebly Takara used whatever reference materials they had for the F-15 for both fighters.

As for panel lines... dude, its not even supposed to be a hyper accurate F-15, given it has an F-14 canopy. Who cares? So long as its a nice looking toy. I don't think anybody really cares about panel lining accuracy on a $10 toy that is not a scale replica.

Saw some transformers classics at FRY's in Wilsonville Oregon.....infact here's the recpiet. I had to trade in some games and had to spend a lil on my card to get Rodimus, but he's a pretty decent toy....honestly about the same as Cybertron Hotshot....hmmm I shall take comparison shots!

post-600-1159679183_thumb.jpg

yeah....my hunch today was that stores in Washington and California were getting classics. and I remembered at the FRY's store I recently quit they were going to get the 20th AV Prime instock and had LOTS of the Starwars Transformers.

So I checked it out, found 75 (yep I asked) Megatron and Optimus Prime Classics, about 10 20th AV Primes (HE'S ALL PLASTIC!! WTF?! WITH BROKEN SMOKESTACKS!)

Then I saw 1 Astrotrain going "Dammit, that's all they got?!" So I looked around and in a shopping cart I saw a box FULL of Starscream, Rodimus, Bumblebee and Astrotrain figures and drove home since I live close by, grabbed a game, sold it, got the cash, and then paid for Rodimus.

From what I understand the Classics line is really good. I really like the detail and revamped look on the toys.

Well, Takara engineered both, but they were developed by Hasbro and Takara/Kawamori respectively. Presumebly Takara used whatever reference materials they had for the F-15 for both fighters.

As for panel lines... dude, its not even supposed to be a hyper accurate F-15, given it has an F-14 canopy. Who cares? So long as its a nice looking toy. I don't think anybody really cares about panel lining accuracy on a $10 toy that is not a scale replica.

The first paragraph was about Classic, but the second two (about the stripes and panel lines) were about MP. Masterpiece Starscream IS supposed to be "hyper accurate". There's really no excuse for such messed up wing stripes. It was also partially in response to the claim on the last page that the stripes followed the panel lines. (of course, it was actually more accurate with the first version of the mold--they introduced a LOT of errors when they added the CFT's, starting with the CFT's themselves being unlike any set ever built)

PS---my guess for their "reference material" is the Hasegawa F-15E kit, because it's not really an F-15 and has all the errors the MP does. And it'd be readily available in Japan to TakaTomy. Using kits to make new model/toy planes happens so often it's not even funny. Anyone who models planes can easily recognize when a kit was used as reference instead of "real" reference materials (like accurate scale drawings or even better, photos of the real thing). There's rather few truly different molds out there of any plane, most are just copies of the few originals, or upscaled/downscaled versions of the company's own molds.

The best clue for any F-15 is to see if there's a speed brake well. Why? Because every F-15 kit ever has one, but the real F-15 doesn't. So if a new toy/model has a speed brake well, then they based it off a kit and not photos of the real thing.

Despite Masterpiece Starscream being a departure from his cartoon colors, the wing stripes are one of the few things similar to the show.

the SS on the left is the reissue in the original toy color and the one on the right is the Collection 9 reissue which was cartoon style

[attachmentid=37020]

post-515-1159689001_thumb.jpg

Which is another reason I prefer toy colors---the stripes on all 3 seekers are unique in both color and PATTERN. Though of course I do prefer an orange canopy, to match SW and TC. Checked Target here today, nothing new. I don't expect Classics here for probably 2 weeks at least.

I think Hirofumi Ichikawa is responsible for the decal designs given the references to the american series - he's a former japanese TF fan who was hired by Takara as a designer. He's been involved with TF designs in varying degrees for the past few years and he responsible for alot of box art, such as the G1 reissues (the ones not done by Pat Lee), and the Binaltech cardart.

He is well-known for his preference of the american Transformers series, though he is not a fan of the more spiritual aspects, such as Primus.

The first paragraph was about Classic, but the second two (about the stripes and panel lines) were about MP. Masterpiece Starscream IS supposed to be "hyper accurate". There's really no excuse for such messed up wing stripes. It was also partially in response to the claim on the last page that the stripes followed the panel lines. (of course, it was actually more accurate with the first version of the mold--they introduced a LOT of errors when they added the CFT's, starting with the CFT's themselves being unlike any set ever built)

My apologies, since I did not see a distinction in the second paragraph, I thought you were talking about the Classics toy.