Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

Maybe if you cut his balls off it won't mess up the sturdiness of his jet mode.

The entire classics line looks great, other than Dildotrain, and Megaytron. At least we have a good version of BB now.

yeah but if cut "them"off what do you do then to make him jet again?

What is the list of gimmicks for Starscream? I've see the following. Did everything make it into production? Do the intakes on the chest open?

- Opening engine covers for whatever reason

- Working airbrake

- Professor shaped blob

- Extra missiles

- Two facial expressions

- Diecast?

I don't understand the issues people are having aside from the color scheme... it's got great proprtions, awesome details, awesome looking posability, and incredible engineering like MCP Convoy. What's not to love about this figure? I love every single detail on it.

i think the only real hard hitting issue has been the color scheme.

next has been the wings on the legs, thing. I think overall it looks good.

I've got mine on preorder and I'm looking forward to having it next to Prime :)

I got Classics Astrotrain in the mail today! Shuttle and train modes aren't the most realistic, but they're good enough and they both have a distinctive look. Bot mode looks fantastic with great proportions all around. I really love the head sculpt on this guy. He's got all the articulation they could cram into him, too. I wanted to post some pics but I'm in the process of moving and my USB cable is, well, "packed away somewhere".

Overall I got a very nostalgic feeling playing with Astrotrain. He's everything I always wished the original was.

Die cast isn't as important to me, these days. It can be nice, and at times it can also be a bad thing, I've found. If the price is right, I'm still eager to pick up one of these Starscream toys.

Doesn't the hip kibble fit onto the sides of the legs the same way it does in fighter mode? If so, you could easily chop off his balls and keep the kibble on the legs all the time (unless they need to be removed for transformation).

I'm glad it has little to no diecast. The worse thing than a bad color scheme, is one with painted bits that don't quite match the plastic color that will inevitably get chipped.

I'll wait for Thundercracker, and I hope they fix those crooked wing stripes by then. That's inexcusable.

MINE ALL MINE!! SITTING ON MY DESK NOW MINE MINE MINE

*edit: another pic of jet mode. haven't yet had time to transform him.

*edit 2: just to be constructive - no, there isn't much diecast, if at all. starscream is one light mofo. yes he is very detailed and panel-lined. yes QC appears quite high, but i do have a small alignment issue with my cockpit window. yes professor blob is just that, professor blob. yes it is worth every cent just for jet mode.

post-2777-1159464425_thumb.jpg

post-2777-1159464514_thumb.jpg

Edited by shiyao

Well... you aren't looking at it from the bottom all the time. Or leave it in bot mode, smirking all the time and giving you the thumbs up!

I included die-cast in my feature list to get some info on how much is included. I'm not the type of person that measures a toy by the amount of metal. Prime had too much on the chest which led to chips around the matrix doors and top heaviness. I thought the Binaltech paint jobs looked great since cars have glossy finishes but the chipping was just too much of a concern. The best BT/Alts to me are the Alts that use the metallic plastics (Mirage, Tracks, etc).

The less die-cast on SS the better. If I get one I don't want to be worried about chipping it.

I thought the Binaltech paint jobs looked great since cars have glossy finishes but the chipping was just too much of a concern. The best BT/Alts to me are the Alts that use the metallic plastics (Mirage, Tracks, etc).

The less die-cast on SS the better. If I get one I don't want to be worried about chipping it.

I actually sold all the BT's I'd bought because of the paint chipping issue, plus I was reluctant to touch them because I was afraid I would end up damaging the paint job. As far as I'm concerned a transforming robot toy I never transform is quite simply pointless.

I've got a Starscream on order with Hobbylink Japan and I'm very much looking forward to it's arrival. The colour scheme for me isn't really a deal-breaker. I never liked Starscream's colour scheme in the Sunbow cartoon that much anyway so I'm not particularly attached to one colour scheme or another on him (except perhaps the black/yellow of the BWII version which is probably my favourite Starscream toy).

Karl

Quick point: leaving the hip kibble on the legs doesn't work well, as the tailfins are too low/aft to allow it to stand right. The original mold had a not-too-obvious sliding hinge that moved the entire tailboom assembly up a bit in robot mode, so he could actually stand on his feet/nozzles, not his tailfins. That was eliminated in the new mold, since the tailfins are supposed to hand off the hips now. It'll work, but not nearly as well as the original.

Quick point: leaving the hip kibble on the legs doesn't work well, as the tailfins are too low/aft to allow it to stand right. The original mold had a not-too-obvious sliding hinge that moved the entire tailboom assembly up a bit in robot mode, so he could actually stand on his feet/nozzles, not his tailfins. That was eliminated in the new mold, since the tailfins are supposed to hand off the hips now. It'll work, but not nearly as well as the original.

Yeah, I read your post at TFW. Dang. I'm conflicted now. I cancelled my preorder for this first batch and I'm waiting for a Skywarp repaint (or perhaps the SS one, not sure yet).

Thanks for the links, twoducks and wolf. All they did was whet my appetite even further for these toys...which I REALLY can't afford right now. :)

Keep an eye on Seibertron and TFW 2005's websites...BotCon is this weekend, so there'll probably be some news updates that we want to hear about.

Pics from Botcon

Hasbro's design decisions panel (concept art for Cybertron, classics). Pics by Blackstar NOTE: The SDF-1 and other japanese mecha used in the conceptualisation presentation pics for Cybertron were just pics Hasbro grabbed as placeholders for presentation to Hasbro and Takara bosses. Since they didn't have any solid, completed designs, using existing mecha that evokes the 'feel' of what they were after is appropriate for these (formerly) internal company documents.

Hasbro Booth Photos Day 1. Pics by Joe Moore. Includes Soundwave and tapes statue, Titanium BM Cheetor and figures we've seen, Classics Ramjet in colour, Classics Jetfire, Classics minicons, Classics LOCs ect.

I wonder why they decided to use that damn heat/rub sticker. I think we all know who's playing for what team.

Homage. Since Classics is basically 'G1 toys with new designs' homage city, they use rubsigns to play up the G1 nostalgia angle. Responses have been mainly positive, and hey, it would be a new thing for kids as they haven't been used since the initial Transmetal/Fuzors line in Beast Wars.

They don't cost you anything extra and if you don't like them, they can be peeled off.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Is that the SDF in this picture???

The SDF-1 and other japanese mecha used in the conceptualisation presentation pics for Cybertron were just pics Hasbro grabbed as placeholders for presentation to Hasbro and Takara bosses. Since they didn't have any solid, completed designs, using existing mecha that evokes the 'feel' of what they were after is appropriate for these (formerly) internal company documents.

EDIT: Added above.