Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

Speculation:

What do you guys want to see next in the Masterpiece line?

A Masterpiece Devastator be great!

I want a Skywarp. I'd like at least two Seekers so that I can display both modes at once.

Aside from the inevitable Seeker repaint I can't think of much I'd actually pay money for. A Cyclonus would be great but I doubt the character is significant enough to warrant the MP treatment. I'd maybe go for a Hot Rod or Grimlock.

Edited by Matt Random

yea, it's all about devestator!

The seeker repaints are inevitable. Way too much cash to be made in reusing the same sculpt for them to pass it up.

another cool option for some smaller MP figs would be a ratchet and ironhide that look like the G1 characters, and are in scale with the other G1 dudes. Make up for that "windshield for a face" crap from back in the day.

Yeah I wondered myself why Kremzeek is with Megatron?

I'm really hopping we don't get the whole orange cap/paint mess for him in the US when like Twin Moons orother stores outside of BBTS carry him.

He does look great, but my ONLY complaint are the legs......if anything they should atleast have special add on pieces to the legs to cover him up, he looks a lil "naked"

I want a Skywarp. I'd like at least two Seekers so that I can display both modes at once.

I was yesterday looking at the bottom of SS's box <_< , and keeping in mind that the 75% of actual MP production is based on the same molds (mighty Op Prime :rolleyes: ), I seriously doubt next release is going to be different from a SS brother, either Skywarp or Thundercracker. :blink:

Maybe Megs is going to be the exception, but MP-06 is most likely some of our beloved SS bros. :ph34r:

manu

edited: damn spell...

Edited by mcpaz

Well, for a compleatly new mold, I'd like to see another autobot get the treatment. Maybe Ironhide? Since we have a SS, who was megs ummm sorta right hand man, even though he always was trying to stab megs in the back, It seems only right that prime also get his right hand man as well.

Well, for a compleatly new mold, I'd like to see another autobot get the treatment. Maybe Ironhide? Since we have a SS, who was megs ummm sorta right hand man, even though he always was trying to stab megs in the back, It seems only right that prime also get his right hand man as well.

mmm... If so, wouldn't loyal Prowl be the one? B))

Anyway, I would like to push 'em designers to a new limit: make a mechanical T-Rex; wouldn't it be kewl to have a big MP-Grimlock? :ph34r:

me, Grimlock, here to save the universe!!!

^_^

Megatron is the first transformer I'll buy as an adult.

It's great as it is. It's perfect!!! The legs could be thicker but I don't care. I't my favorite robot from childhood along with the VF-1.

No restrictions on gun toys down here in South America so I'll import Megs directly from Hong Kong or HLJ.

I'll post later pics of my 9mm Walther P-38 so we can tell how accurate Megs gun mode is :)

That's what I'm thinking too, about Meg's repaint. Or they could do him as a Megaplex repaint...I think it was an e-Hobby exclusive (or something) when they re-released the G1 Megs. A duller shade of silver and blue instead of red, as I recall.

Well if we were to get more Flyer molds from SS........I'd think a two pack would be simpler then waiting over and over for each flyer to come out......like......Thundercracker Skywarp set.........and maybe Sunstorm......

mmm... If so, wouldn't loyal Prowl be the one?

YES! I would love a Prowl MP.......but would he be back to his 280Z body style? or would they upgrade, maybe go to a 350 Z like in Infiltrators?

i dont see any of the main cars getting remade as MPs since they already did the binaltech line with updated versions of them. Plus there's the licensing issues. Soundwave, Devestator, Grimlock...maybe a cartoon accurate jetfire/skyfire

I think the best thing about an MP soundwave would be the G1 seeker sized lazerbeak it would come with!

mmm... If so, wouldn't loyal Prowl be the one? B))

Anyway, I would like to push 'em designers to a new limit: make a mechanical T-Rex; wouldn't it be kewl to have a big MP-Grimlock? :ph34r:

Optimus Prime's 'right hand man' could easily describe three Autobots from among his initial team that came to Earth:

1) Although he got less screen time than the others in the cartoon, Prowl always struck me as Prime's second-in-command and I think both the toys and comics reflected that better. If nothing else, he was certainly Kong Ming head strategic advisor.

2) Ironhide is the trustworthy old friend... the guy who would step in front of a shot aimed for Prime without even processing why (he was the security officer per the toys too). He's the old, gruff gunny sergeant who for whatever reason isn't higher up in the ranks, but is indespensible in the trenches. He's the type to grumble up the chain of command without fear yet will never do so in a way that weakens the leadership.

3) Jazz also strikes me as a sergeant type... and he was definitely treated as either a first sergeant or even lieutenant type in the cartoon. He's not only the Autobot/non-Autobot liaison, but also comes across as sort of the more jovial grunt-leadership liaison.

Still, as cube points out, I don't see them jumping to make a Prowl or Meister (in lieu of the Jazz name) MP when they have the Alternators/BTs unless they felt the character itself would sell twice (which, while both are popular, neither probably would). Ironhide, maybe, but he'd be better off as an Alternator/BT as well.

Soundwave definitely strikes me as a perfect choice. He's a big guy, he could have a bunch of gimmicks (the various tapes alone), and he's one of those Transformers that is iconic.

Devastator would make a really nice choice as a masterpiece. The first and most iconic of the gestalts, he'd be worth the price tag and even if he's only a little taller than Prime, he'd still look imposing to most of the other toys out there.

Grimlock falls unfortunately into the category of 'done by the BTs/Alts'. Outside of articulation, his toy and cartoon appearance weren't too far off, so improving him would just result in a chunky dino alternative mode.

Anyway, too much meaningless rambling from me....

Grimlock falls unfortunately into the category of 'done by the BTs/Alts'. Outside of articulation, his toy and cartoon appearance weren't too far off, so improving him would just result in a chunky dino alternative mode.

Anyway, too much meaningless rambling from me....

Grimlock's also got the Classic 'Rex. Which is just now hitting shelves.

Of course, Classic/MP overlap didn't stop Starscream.

Classic Megatron and Prime don't count since neither was designed to look really close to the cartoon, and Classic Prime was designed well after MP Prime was out of production(though reissue plans were probably being kicked around).

But MP and Classic Starscream likely had some overlapping design phase, and if they were really afraid of double-dipping, one would've been killed off.

I think the big thing is that they're going for the most iconic characters for the Masterpiece line, and anything else is because it's just a repaint.

What are the most-recognized Transformers characters? Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, and Bumblebee? Maybe Hot Rod?

Actually, aside from Soundwave, that's the first Classics series(Boo Astrotrain!!!!). They were probably chosen for that reason, with Soundwave being skipped over because his alt mode is less fun.

Assuming I read it right, that means Soundwave, Bumblebee, and Hot Rod are candidates for next new-mold MP. Probably Soundwave or Bumblebee, depending on when and how often Starscream gets repainted.

I doubt the Decepticons will be allowed numerical superiority, so if Starscream gets a repaint before the new mold, Bumblebee gets the MP treatment to keep the Autobots from falling behind.

Unless VW raises hell...

Merciful Primus, it may be Hot Rod! Please no!

Grimlock's also got the Classic 'Rex. Which is just now hitting shelves.

Of course, Classic/MP overlap didn't stop Starscream.

Classic Megatron and Prime don't count since neither was designed to look really close to the cartoon, and Classic Prime was designed well after MP Prime was out of production(though reissue plans were probably being kicked around).

But MP and Classic Starscream likely had some overlapping design phase, and if they were really afraid of double-dipping, one would've been killed off.

I think the big thing is that they're going for the most iconic characters for the Masterpiece line, and anything else is because it's just a repaint.

What are the most-recognized Transformers characters? Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, and Bumblebee? Maybe Hot Rod?

Actually, aside from Soundwave, that's the first Classics series(Boo Astrotrain!!!!). They were probably chosen for that reason, with Soundwave being skipped over because his alt mode is less fun.

Assuming I read it right, that means Soundwave, Bumblebee, and Hot Rod are candidates for next new-mold MP. Probably Soundwave or Bumblebee, depending on when and how often Starscream gets repainted.

I doubt the Decepticons will be allowed numerical superiority, so if Starscream gets a repaint before the new mold, Bumblebee gets the MP treatment to keep the Autobots from falling behind.

Unless VW raises hell...

Merciful Primus, it may be Hot Rod! Please no!

I think as long as the mold is not an exact VW replica. I remember by making a few very small changes they were able to sell the RID cars, which resembled real world cars without getting them licensed because they made a few small alterations.

Part of the whole MP mold thing is that Takara/Tomy will want something they can get at least one or two repaints out of. Starscream was ideal for that.

Me personally, I'd love to see MP versions of the Aerialbots. :)

Man talk about a let down. Just got a Nitro Convoy, and man, is this figure crap. Looks nothing like in the cartoon. How loose are the joints too. I'm stop collecting Cybertron now, I thought I'd round up all the Autobots, but no more. The desire is gone.

The ONLY cool thing about her is that for the most part, from Car to robot mode, it's pretty much an automatic transformation.

Edited by kensei

Picked up Classics Jetfire last night and I absolutely love it. It's certainly no Valkyrie, but it's a very nice tribute to the original. My only gripe is that I wish the hands folded/retracted into the wrists...

I'd also love to see Jetfire as a Masterpiece, but I don't think it's likely. Devastator would be ridiculously cool, but it'd also probably cost a fortune. Oh well, I'd still find a way to get it! :lol:

There still could be an Ironhide Alt......it wouldn't be difficult to just change the paint scheme from blue to Red that would work all the same.....it's really Takara I think whose making the designs and sculpting.....Hasbro is just doing repaints.

I think as long as the mold is not an exact VW replica. I remember by making a few very small changes they were able to sell the RID cars, which resembled real world cars without getting them licensed because they made a few small alterations.

Perhaps.

The Beetle design is distinct enough that VW might could push it on body styling, but they'd have a difficult case given G1 and G2 both used it a few times without lawsuit.

Part of the whole MP mold thing is that Takara/Tomy will want something they can get at least one or two repaints out of. Starscream was ideal for that.

That would boost the odds of Bumblebee and Soundwave relative to Hot Rod.

A Masterpiece Bumblebee could be repainted as Cliffjumper(He really SHOULDN'T be, since they're supposed to be different cars, but it hasn't stopped anyone before), and Soundwave is Soundblaster.

Me personally, I'd love to see MP versions of the Aerialbots. :)

Oooh, if they did Superion AND Devastator...

BEST. SHELF BATTLE. EVER.

MP Skywarp: http://www.flickr.com/photos/18251255@N00/...57594400481435/

Repaint, or real? Sure looks molded in purple, light gray, and black to me. And most any repaint would probably use silver, not gray I think. First Classics, now MP. Why is TC always last lately? Still, this does not bode well IMHO---it's gray instead of silver. That's anime-accurate. That'd mean TC would be pale grey and pale blue, instead of the awesome metallic sapphire blue and silver G1 toy colors.

::edit:: If only I'd typed less, my post would have gotten in before ghostryder's...