Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

good point.

people complained about beast wars and now it's widly regarded as one of the best Tf storys told. Nothing about a TF requires it look like a bunch of cardboard boxes piled on top of each other, colored with a child's set of primary colors.

Never said it did. Have you seen Alternators, MP, Classics, the list goes on, it seems like you're brining up G1 as the basis for the movie designs which would be a step backward. Alternators and Binaltech more than make up for how you can turn classic Transformers characters into legtimate modern day cars that don't look like bricks in robot/toy form. Also as far as i know Hasbro didn't come up with the Movie designs some "futuristic" artist that worked on Miniority Report or some and such was called upon by the Movie studio to make the designs. Correct me if i'm wrong, i'm sure someone like FitforNatalie probably knows more about the movie and who designed what, since i've pretty much given up on it.

Edited by Veritas

good point.

people complained about beast wars and now it's widly regarded as one of the best Tf storys told. Nothing about a TF requires it look like a bunch of cardboard boxes piled on top of each other, colored with a child's set of primary colors.

I still don't like the Beast Wars aesthetic, though. Regardless of how well the story came out.

I asked on the Tfans board if there will be a Gerwalk mode. Yes and this is what it looks like. :blink:

LOL! as with the majority of the TF toys, you really gotta use your imagination....like a lot. :D

when i first heard about a new jetfire toy i thought it was going to be somewhat cool but as is, i might as well make one out of lego, it'll probably look better/smoother than that sad excuse for a toy. :lol:

Never said it did. Have you seen Alternators, MP, Classics, the list goes on, it seems like you're brining up G1 as the basis for the movie designs which would be a step backward. Alternators and Binaltech more than make up for how you can turn classic Transformers characters into legtimate modern day cars that don't look like bricks in robot/toy form. Also as far as i know Hasbro didn't come up with the Movie designs some "futuristic" artist that worked on Miniority Report or some and such was called upon by the Movie studio to make the designs. Correct me if i'm wrong, i'm sure someone like FitforNatalie probably knows more about the movie and who designed what, since i've pretty much given up on it.

So, it's okay for those toys to continue forward with the aesthetics of what is a TF, but it's not okay for the movie designs because...? The movie bots borrow heavily from the techno/organic look established in beastwars and works to portray something alien and mechanical.

Frankly, there's plenty of things sill about the binaltech/alternator designs as well... such all the bots using chairs as feet or to define their torsos. No definable powerplants, using engines as weapons. fine as a toy, but silly when you think about it interacting with live action humans.

LOL! as with the majority of the TF toys, you really gotta use your imagination....like a lot. :D

when i first heard about a new jetfire toy i thought it was going to be somewhat cool but as is, i might as well make one out of lego, it'll probably look better/smoother than that sad excuse for a toy. :lol:

Aww, be nice. It's a LOT better than anything you can make out of Legos.

He's no VF-1, but we all knew that was coming. Almost every Jet/Skyfire design I've seen has been chunky, it'd be crazy for the toy to NOT be.

GERWALK is iffy, but it probably wasn't a design goal. I'd be VERY surprised if it's even an official triple-changer. GERWALK was only barely official in the original toy release, with the instructions illustrating it under the caption "alternate transformation", but offering no directions to attain said mode.

The big blue missiles in the arm launchers is all I can really fault them for. But that's just Hasbro's gimmick of the moment.

Sure he lacks a rifle, but I can fix that as fast as I did with Bumblebee.

The big blue missiles in the arm launchers is all I can really fault them for. But that's just Hasbro's gimmick of the moment.

Sure he lacks a rifle, but I can fix that as fast as I did with Bumblebee.

I agree about the missles. It would have been nice to have retractable guns or even just black projectiles. At least they're removable! As for the rifle, did yours not come with the gun that splits in half? It may not look as nice as a Valk's gunpod but I thought it looked like it came straight out of the G1 toy line, especially since it's black. I wouldn't have been surprised if Hasbro made it red or white since they rarely make black guns anymore.

Classics Jetfire is easily my favorite mainline TF toy in many years. It's easy to pick him apart when compared to a Valkyrie, but that's just not fair since nothing compares to a valkyrie. Compared to other TFs or transforming toys in general, he's simply great. There's no garish colors, no wonky proportions in bot mode, no kibble. And the transformation, while simple, is actually really fun and offers some new twists to the overdone plane-to-robot design.

I just might get a second one to paint up in a Skull 01 scheme.... ;)

Edited by eriku

I didn't know Megatron wielded a handgun. I wonder if it itself transforms into a minature Megs which wields a handgun witch transforms into a Mini Mini Megs which wields a ... Now i've done it. I've gone into one of those infinite loops. Must stop Memory leak!

As for the rifle, did yours not come with the gun that splits in half? It may not look as nice as a Valk's gunpod but I thought it looked like it came straight out of the G1 toy line, especially since it's black.

Wave 2 hasn't shown up here yet that I've seen. :(

I hadn't seen rifle photos, and assumed Hasbro was doing a 1-weapon-type rule. Guns OR missile launchers, but not both.

I didn't know Megatron wielded a handgun. I wonder if it itself transforms into a minature Megs which wields a handgun witch transforms into a Mini Mini Megs which wields a ... Now i've done it. I've gone into one of those infinite loops. Must stop Memory leak!

It's actually a hint that MP08 will be Shockwave, with 07 being the Starscream anime paint scheme.

</wishful-thinking>

Edited by JB0

Actually, look closer, that is the pistol that Megatron picked up after throwing off Hot Rod and subsequently killed Optimus Prime with in the movie.

Wave 2 hasn't shown up here yet that I've seen. :(

I hadn't seen rifle photos, and assumed Hasbro was doing a 1-weapon-type rule. Guns OR missile launchers, but not both.

Here's a good pic of the gun he comes with (courtesy of Actoys). It also splits in half and can be wielded as two guns.[attachmentid=38551]

post-430-1164722954_thumb.jpg

Oooo Megatron's comes with the gun Hot Rod gave him to shoot Prime with. :rolleyes::p:rolleyes:

Kreemzeek is awesome.

Kreemzeek was a punk lol!

That was a funny Season 2 episode.

I also like the one where Tracks was stopping the car-jackers.

Here's a good pic of the gun he comes with (courtesy of Actoys). It also splits in half and can be wielded as two guns.[attachmentid=38551]

Oooh, that's actually nice...

Backpack has hinges, I hadn't seen that before either.

So I guess he can do a Strike Valkyrie bootleg shoulder cannon too?

Pity there's no missile racks on the wings. It'd be hilarious if someone posed him blasting Megatron with everything at once, DYRL-style.

Better yet, posed him and a Hikaru 1S blasting each other, scale differences be damned!

(Are the Banpresto valks close enough to the same size?)

Oh come on. HOW can you pass this up?

I WANTED to pass it up, but my nostalgic love for Soundwave would not allow me to. Alas, my preorder was placed weeks ago. I did, however, pass on all the previous reissues except Prime. As a child, it simply didn't get any cooler than Soundwave or Optimus Prime. Most of the other G1 TF's look pretty crummy to my adult eyes, but these stand the test of time (most likely due to the afore mentioned nostalgia)

I was thinking about getting Soundwave but have decided not to now that I've seen it. I really don't like the dual cassette deck. I prefer the flush door of old.

I had the opportunity to play with a Classics Jetfire today. Not a bad toy but it is certainly a transformer.

The Good...

- Fun to play with. Wings sweep is expecially fun in fighter mode.

- Nice robot mode if the armor isn't attached.

- Fun play features.

- Best landing gears I've ever seen on a transformer.

- Includes splittable gun in addition to missile launchers.

- Armor attaches securely.

The Bad...

- Blocky proportions. The jet looks super deformed. This is quite a let down compared to the

wonderful proportions of Starscream.

- Ratchet joints with very coarse teeth prevented me from getting the poses I wanted.

- Simple transformation. The chest transformation is kind of neat though.

- Robot arms hanging off in jet mode.

- Armor looks over sized. Especially the helmet.

- The backpack sits high which makes it look odd if not in strike canon posture.

- Armor attachment points on the arms are HUGE.

I also saw Grimlock and Mirage. Grimlock uses two different colors of gray plastic. An oddity I noticed is that the dino torso had a messy paint wash applied but no other part of the figure looks to have a wash.