Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

Well for sheer quality, it's the best I've seen by far. I was looking hard for any unpainted areas, etc. And the paint is on quite thin, to preserve all the panel line depth. And it's not super-gloss nor super-flat, it's just right--"plasticky".

Why is TC always last lately? Still, this does not bode well IMHO---it's gray instead of silver. That's anime-accurate. That'd mean TC would be pale grey and pale blue, instead of the awesome metallic sapphire blue and silver G1 toy colors.

I feel the same, TC always gets the shaft. I believe he's the lowest ranking of the three, and the dumbest IIRC, based on those old G1 tech-specs.

I'm wondering, has there been a current toy that's been able to pull off the metallic efffect in molded plastic? The old G1 TC color was immaculate. I'd hate to see a Masterpiece TC with all kinds of metallic swirls in it, like the VF-0 feet for example. What would really kill the toy's metallic finish would be stress marks. If only they could use the same plastic as the G1s - that stuff was tough as nails and it looked great.

The tech-specs of the seekers are all messed up.

Basically--Starscream's techspech has Skywarp's numbers, and vice-versa. Otherwise, why does Skywarp have like 9's for intelligence and rank but low courage, while Starscream is considered very courageous, but dumb and low-ranking? The numbers directly contradict their own characters, but work perfectly if you switch them around.

Beast Machines Jetstorm (the first and probably best Vehicon) has plastic very close to G1 Thundercracker. A bit more green (and G1 TC blue does have green in it, though it's very subtle) but very close. It's easy to do---note that most BW and BM plastic is metallic, it's just very subtle. BW Inferno is among the most metallic, Silverbolt and Tigerhawk are notable too. Hasbro has never stopped doing metallic plastic for TF's, it's only "how metallic" that varies over the years. Lots of RiD toys were slightly to moderately metallic. Cybetron seems to be about the most "unmetallic" in years.

The tech-specs of the seekers are all messed up.

Basically--Starscream's techspech has Skywarp's numbers, and vice-versa. Otherwise, why does Skywarp have like 9's for intelligence and rank but low courage, while Starscream is considered very courageous, but dumb and low-ranking? The numbers directly contradict their own characters, but work perfectly if you switch them around.

Beast Machines Jetstorm (the first and probably best Vehicon) has plastic very close to G1 Thundercracker. A bit more green (and G1 TC blue does have green in it, though it's very subtle) but very close. It's easy to do---note that most BW and BM plastic is metallic, it's just very subtle. BW Inferno is among the most metallic, Silverbolt and Tigerhawk are notable too. Hasbro has never stopped doing metallic plastic for TF's, it's only "how metallic" that varies over the years. Lots of RiD toys were slightly to moderately metallic. Cybetron seems to be about the most "unmetallic" in years.

In regards to looking nicely metalic, the 1st run of Alternator tracks was also really nice

according to lost and found toys:

"Masterpiece MP-05 Megatron is now available for pre-order, $92.95! We have been told that our shipment will not require the orange cap modification since Megatron will be packaged in Robot Mode. If things change, we will let everyone know. In the event that this pre-order sells out quickly, we will open another at a slightly higher price just like we did with MP-03 Starscream"

http://www.laftoys.com/

Of all the TF Movie designs I can actualluy make out bits of car on this one <_<

Still, it looks like green crumbled up aluminum foil.

[attachmentid=38617] [attachmentid=38618] :p

post-3216-1165134992_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1165135053_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macross73

Forgot about 1st run Alt Tracks' metallic blue (I even have one). I remember the first time I went into the store and saw the re-release Alt Tracks---I thought it was a different toy or a knockoff. The plastic is THAT different (and worse/cheaper) in appearance.

Interestingly, the Thundercrackerish repaint of BM Jetstorm (Sonic Attack Drone?) is pale blue, but metallic pale blue. Looks a lot better than just plain pale blue. But still not nearly as neat as metallic deep blue.

From the "realistic" standpoint:

That's almost perfectly 36440 Gull Grey. 1970's high-vis F-14 grey. As opposed to 1980's F-15 low-vis grey.

It certainly is "fighter jet grey", just wrong service, wrong decade, wrong plane. Might as well have used MiG-29 colors.

The Ratchet design looks too fragmented to be able to transform into anything. It would almost have to morph or re-mould itself (as in the T-1000 from Terminator) into a vehicle, rather than transform. The design really look like poo and I'm hoping that by releasing this crap that they're just messing with us and the designs are more like what we were expecting.

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

The Ratchet design looks too fragmented to be able to transform into anything. It would almost have to morph or re-mould itself (as in the T-1000 from Terminator) into a vehicle, rather than transform. The design really look like poo and I'm hoping that by releasing this crap that they're just messing with us and the designs are more like what we were expecting.

Yeah... right. Optimus head prop, Megatron prop, and the Bumblebee model used in filming pretty much make it certain that what we see is what we will get.

Are you talking about a 6†toy? Because if that’s the case then I also agree that a decent looking toy won’t be easy to pull off.

But if you are talking about a freaking big robot then I don’t see a problem. MP Starscream (which is supposed to be very complex) is made out of a LOT of tiny pieces and yet its mass doesn’t equal more than half of a real car’s steering wheel mass.

Just the space occupied by a car door could hold a truck load of folded moving parts inside. Imagine how many little moving parts they could fit in a real car.

There's probably no way at all to translate this crap-ass movie designs into feasible toys, so we'll probably see simplified designs for the toys.... remeber how the Starscream movie prototype shot looked? No way it worked as complexly as the movie design.

Painted and transformed movie toys of Brawl, Barricade and Bumblebee pics have popped up on ebay.

And they also look rather different from the movie CGI we've seen.

And a hell of a lot better.

Not GREAT, but a lot better.

I could actually REALLY LIKE the Bumblebee toy. Hell, I'm starting to see hints of Bumblebee IN the design at this level. His limbs are a bit spindly, but aren't really a deal-breaker here. I can't see enough detail in his face to be sure, but it looks like the weak point(actually, the heads look kinda weak on all 3 toys to me).

*looks over at Classic 'Bee*

Okay... Hasbro, paint him red and sell him as Cliffjumper. I'll buy it.

Barricade DESPERATELY needs real arms. Having the entire side of the car mounted to his shoulder is lame. Other than that, I like his toy. And I don't think the arms are set up right anyways.

While I may think the movie is a disaster, I STILL love the script they put on the side of his alt-mode.

While they're the same size, the fact that they're solid black makes his legs look far more substantial than Bumblebee's.

Overall, he's a far better design. Assuming he has real arms.

Sidenote: Where's Frenzy? All I see is a Soaron bootleg.

Brawl... I'm less fond of. Let's leave it at that.

Painted and transformed movie toys of Brawl, Barricade and Bumblebee pics have popped up on ebay.

Link via 2005

Be aware they look a little mistransformed.

And they also look rather different from the movie CGI we've seen.

:lol: I just love he fact that the movie designers said "Fuuck the toys!" and did something that isn't just a scaled up toy or limited to how well it would translate into one.

Car doors must be sacred in TF toys. Has there ever been a working door that can brake up into other parts?

They should work that into an ATL/BT based cartoon; they could fly around flapping them as little wings.

Interesting...the alt modes look great, I think (especially Barricade), and, although it's not what I'm used to, the robot modes don't look terrible. Bumblebee especially doesn't look as crumpled as he does in the movie pix.