1/100 Toynami Valks Thread

Vermillion21

My review is the latest post on my site, to read it, CLICK HERE.

I rushed it out so if you see anything patently wrong or even spelling flub ups let me know :)

I'll work on doing some fun comparison stuff and setting up a second post as time permits.

421406[/snapback]

Thanks for the quick review, those Pics really helped me out on deciding should I get one or not. I was expecting them to be the same size as the Banpresto, but to see that they are actually bigger I was pretty surprise. I love my Banprestos so I should have no problem with getting these. The only thing I dislike from those pics are the HUGE Shoulders,, if only they are smaller it would make the whole valk look much better. :( By the way , I just order a set from VE. $49 for a set of 3 sounds pretty good.

21mb0i0.jpg

Oh, do you know if the head is switchable? so I can use the VF-1S head on the Hikaru VF1a.? YEah,, my cheap way of getting a Hikaru VF-1s. :p

Edited by F360°

I had no trouble with this. Except for the stand, gerwalk mode, the gunpod trigger falling off, and legs not being cluched on to something to keep it in place.

I bought the Roy Branpresto and I was so disappointed with it that I threw it out after so much agony. The Strike Parts would not hold on to the arm, as a matter of fact the arms could not stay together when in fighter mode, and even the strike parts them selves could not stay on the Valk without moving the toy. Even the head fell off, worst $20 I spent, I thought I was getting something good, but no it had to be retarded.

Edited by Ishimaru

Thanks for the reviews and impressions. Doesn't sound as bad as some make out to be.

421479[/snapback]

jenius has been a toynami supporter for a while now so if i read a review about a toynami product from him, i know he's going to find more good things to say than bad. i on the otherhand, dislike toynami so if i were to write a review, i'll find more bad things to say than good.

i try to read each review knowing that it mostly peoples opinions. everyone has their own standards of whats acceptable when it comes to toys so you gotta decide what is fact and what is fiction.

fact: the shoulders are kind of big.

fiction: this thing sucks more than a $2 hooker.

I got my Hikaru VF-1S last week and got to say I have no complaints. I own a whole bunch of Banprestos, and the Toynami 1/100 is definitely head and shoulders above. The transformation is simple, and I don't need to worry about breaking any delicate parts like I do with the 1/48. Plus, they are small and easy to store. $20 is also a fair price in my opinion. Like others, I defintely hope Toynami go crazy with this line and make as many variations as possible. The Yamato 1/48's are just too expensive for building a squadron.

Edited by Ivan

Thanks for the review Jenius!!!! Mucho appreciated :)

I decided long ago I was gonna pass on this based on the published pictures. I'm all for lineart accuracy. I kinda like fighter and gerwalk, but battroid is butt ugly!! Don't like the head sculpt, shoulders and raised skull and crossbones.

I just wanted something to display with my König Monster since I'm very anal when it becomes to scales. But IMHO the Monster does not deserve to be displayed with this valk.

I'll stick with my 1/48's and 1/60's Yammies :)

Jenius that review was well worth the wait man. I'm waiting for wave 1 to hit my local stores. So far no luck.

You and Ginrai seemed to be 2 of the very few who can write unbiased reviews when it comes to Toynami's stuff.

For 20$ I'm not expecting a 1/48, what I do expect is a 1/100 toy that can be PLAYED with. You can't say the same for a similar priced 1/100 swap transformation imai and bandai variable kit....both of which would probably fall apart in my hands like all models do.

i try to read each review knowing that it mostly peoples opinions. everyone has their own standards of whats acceptable when it comes to toys so you gotta decide what is fact and what is fiction.

Yeah same here. I like both negative and positive reviews though because each person might have different issues with the toy that the other guy doesn't. For example: I can totally see why the banpresto is hated so much (even though I personally am a fan of it) and so long as it is explained why it sucks in good enough detail then I am happy. Tell us where it fails and explain why, so we at least know where it factors into the overall score and for what reason those marks were taken off. (because some of the issues the reviewer might have had where points were taken off, might not be issues for another guy, say a MIB collector who really does think the fancy box matters :D and who intend to leave the thing in there in 20 years time) It just that when a review doesn't backup the criticism with valid reasons is when I start to think it might be biased.

For me, I like to research the product and want to know everything about it before jumping in. If a review sounds more like a sales pitch that is when I get scared. (ie only mentioning the good stuff and ignoring the bad stuff - review needs to weigh the good with the bad and balance the two to come up with a final overall score to give us an indication of how good it is comparared to others. That's why I like comparisons in reviews.)

For the money you pay: is it worth it, for what you get? At some point whether or not you are a "fan" of that type of product for whatever reason, you got to face up to facts and realise that there might something better than it out there (within a similar price range) and form your opinion around that. As time goes on (and assuming the products keep getting better) people's expectations rise higher and higher. So what was impressive years ago might not deserve the same level of hype and excitement later. (it's all in the wording really)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I rushed it out so if you see anything patently wrong or even spelling flub ups let me know :)

421406[/snapback]

woowee! finally got a chance to read the entire thing, nice review. i think you're being a little too generous towards toynami but thats just me.

one incorrect detail in your review, you stated that these are perfect transformation(Charm & Collectibility) which they clearly aren't. you might want to change that before people start thinking its a mini 1/48. :D

421406[/snapback]

woowee! finally got a chance to read the entire thing, nice review. i think you're being a little too generous towards toynami but thats just me.

one incorrect detail in your review, you stated that these are perfect transformation(Charm & Collectibility) which they clearly aren't. you might want to change that before people start thinking its a mini 1/48. :D

421679[/snapback]

He probably meant that parts swapping is not needed for transformation. The gear and the heatshield/canopy are the only parts that can be removed for transformation but you don't necesarily need to take off(well gear of course but you get the point).

I just got my Hikaru 1S today. A few minor gripes (like the gunpod handle not collapsing when attached to the arm in Battroid/Gerwalk mode) , but all and all I'm impressed with the thing. After buying (regretfully) all the banpresto's a while back so I could have a valk to mess with that didn't cost $$, I have to say comparing it to the banpresto's is like comparing the 1/48 to the MPC.

I can't say I see it as being worth $20 (more for the convention exclusive) but under the circumstances beggars can't be choosers. I don't see Yamato making a smaller, playable Valkyrie ever. So this is all you will probably get.

IMO, after a lot of failures, Toynami finally scored. Seems making cheaper stuff is their niche. I'm certainly looking forward to see how far they take the line.

Edited by Rabidweezil

one incorrect detail in your review, you stated that these are perfect transformation(Charm & Collectibility) which they clearly aren't. you might want to change that before people start thinking its a mini 1/48.

By perfect transformation I just mean "perfectly variable", as in you don't have to take it apart and reassemble it like some old SDF-1 toys and the Yamato 1/60 line. I won't hold the heatshield against it since you don't really NEED to swap heatshields and the original Takatokus didn't even have heatshields and they were "perfect transformation" toys. I'll go back and edit the wording though, I think "perfectly variable" is much more concise.

Edit - For the record, I am not a "Toynami supporter" but I do come across that way at times because of how much I hate the Yamato 1/60 (VF-1) toys. I would like to believe that if this exact 1/100 toy were made by Yamato, Bandai, or Banpresto I would have created the same impression of it. I also am a pretty easy going guy so as long as toys don't fall apart in my hands I tend to enjoy them in some respect. I am a Legioss/Alpha supporter though, I have to admit that :)

Edit II - Did anyone notice the art on the back of the box shows Hikaru with a black heatshield on his VF-1S? Also, for the member who photo shopped the weaknesses of the sculpt down (shoulders and chin)... great job!

Edited by jenius

Edit II - Did anyone notice the art on the back of the box shows Hikaru with a black heatshield on his VF-1S?

421782[/snapback]

Yeah, if you look closely at that pic and compare it to the pic of the Roy VF-1S (upper right corner), you'll notice that they're the EXACT same pic. Someone in marketing just photoshopped the yellow to red :ph34r:

one incorrect detail in your review, you stated that these are perfect transformation(Charm & Collectibility) which they clearly aren't. you might want to change that before people start thinking its a mini 1/48.

By perfect transformation I just mean "perfectly variable", as in you don't have to take it apart and reassemble it like some old SDF-1 toys and the Yamato 1/60 line. I won't hold the heatshield against it since you don't really NEED to swap heatshields and the original Takatokus didn't even have heatshields and they were "perfect transformation" toys. I'll go back and edit the wording though, I think "perfectly variable" is much more concise.

Edit - For the record, I am not a "Toynami supporter" but I do come across that way at times because of how much I hate the Yamato 1/60 (VF-1) toys. I would like to believe that if this exact 1/100 toy were made by Yamato, Bandai, or Banpresto I would have created the same impression of it. I also am a pretty easy going guy so as long as toys don't fall apart in my hands I tend to enjoy them in some respect. I am a Legioss/Alpha supporter though, I have to admit that :)

Edit II - Did anyone notice the art on the back of the box shows Hikaru with a black heatshield on his VF-1S? Also, for the member who photo shopped the weaknesses of the sculpt down (shoulders and chin)... great job!

421782[/snapback]

I tend to think your just an unbiased reviewer. Its almost as if anyone who says the MPC wasn't crap is labeled a toynami supporter. They ain't perfect, but I always thought the VF-1 MPC's weren't as bad as a lot of people said they were, they definitely did get better with the Ben vol2 and afterwards.

And the 1/100 is the best price toynami has ever slapped on a product. zAnd from the reviews, it seems well worth it.

And I too did not like the 1/60 VF-1 as much.

when i used the phrase "toynami supporter", it was for a lack of better words, sorry jenius. :(

you don't really NEED to swap heatshields

but you do. you have to remove the heatshield/canopy depending on the mode. take a look at it again, the heatshield and canopy designs are similar to 1/60s. you can't leave the canopy on and have it in battroid or the chest plate doesn't lock down. you can't leave the heatshield on and have it in fighter mode since it looks stupid...especially with the raised skull emblem.

i know i sound like a broken record here but the reason why i'm so unhappy about the $20 price tag is simply the fact that i can get a 1/55 for $20 more. think about it, the 1/55 is far superior in every way compared to this thing, its bigger, better, more durable, bascially more bang for your buck. so how is this thing not a rip off? how can anyone justify a $20 price tag? *shrug*

i know i sound like a broken record here but the reason why i'm so unhappy about the $20 price tag is simply the fact that i can get a 1/55 for $20 more.  think about it, the 1/55 is far superior in every way compared to this thing, its bigger, better, more durable, bascially more bang for your buck.  so how is this thing not a rip off?  how can anyone justify a $20 price tag?  *shrug*

421912[/snapback]

I have to disagree. The 1/55 has a lot of shortcomings and is not superior in every way to this toy as you suggest. Even the 1/55 has a heatshield that you have to put on manually.

Edited by mister_e

when i used the phrase "toynami supporter", it was for a lack of better words, sorry jenius.  :(

but you do. you have to remove the heatshield/canopy depending on the mode. take a look at it again, the heatshield and canopy designs are similar to 1/60s. you can't leave the canopy on and have it in battroid or the chest plate doesn't lock down. you can't leave the heatshield on and have it in fighter mode since it looks stupid...especially with the raised skull emblem.

i know i sound like a broken record here but the reason why i'm so unhappy about the $20 price tag is simply the fact that i can get a 1/55 for $20 more. think about it, the 1/55 is far superior in every way compared to this thing, its bigger, better, more durable, bascially more bang for your buck. so how is this thing not a rip off? how can anyone justify a $20 price tag? *shrug*

421912[/snapback]

Your comparing 2 very different scales and products. The way I see it, $20 either buys you the 1/100 toynami toy, or the 1/100 bandai/imai swap transformation variable kit. The whole review is basically going about talking about what the $20 is getting you. For $20 I don't think anyones expecting a 1/55 or 1/48(which for some reason everyone is comparing this to, come to think of it, I don't think anyone dared compared the banpresto to those 2). And where as some of you make it a point to compare it to the 1/48 or 1/55, why is there no mention of the old takatoku/bandai 1/100 toy from the mid80's? Same scale, and all. Toynami's got more articulation than that thing, the only thing that the old taka/bandai 1/100 has over the Toynami is the retractable landing gear, not like they were anything to write home about in regards to aesthetics. And on THAT one, the canopy/heatshield were the samepiece...in fact...PAINTED even. The canopy WAS the heatshield on those ones.

Me, I've always wanted something small and those model kits fit the bill except all models break in my hands. That is why I want the toynami and don't really think its a rip off. For $20, I want something I know will not break in my hands, not something that I have to build, paint, and assemble myself only to watch it crumble. (This is my experience I manhandle all my toys and models, and my models break, my toys do not).

when i used the phrase "toynami supporter", it was for a lack of better words, sorry jenius.  :(

421912[/snapback]

Your comparing 2 very different scales and products. The way I see it, $20 either buys you the 1/100 toynami toy, or the 1/100 bandai/imai swap transformation variable kit. The whole review is basically going about talking about what the $20 is getting you. For $20 I don't think anyones expecting a 1/55 or 1/48(which for some reason everyone is comparing this to, come to think of it, I don't think anyone dared compared the banpresto to those 2). And where as some of you make it a point to compare it to the 1/48 or 1/55, why is there no mention of the old takatoku/bandai 1/100 toy from the mid80's? Same scale, and all. Toynami's got more articulation than that thing, the only thing that the old taka/bandai 1/100 has over the Toynami is the retractable landing gear, not like they were anything to write home about in regards to aesthetics. And on THAT one, the canopy/heatshield were the samepiece...in fact...PAINTED even. The canopy WAS the heatshield on those ones.

Me, I've always wanted something small and those model kits fit the bill except all models break in my hands. That is why I want the toynami and don't really think its a rip off. For $20, I want something I know will not break in my hands, not something that I have to build, paint, and assemble myself only to watch it crumble. (This is my experience I manhandle all my toys and models, and my models break, my toys do not).

421937[/snapback]

I think the best way to settle this is to do this kind of comparo: Alternator Mirage vs Toynami-Valk

[*] A Transformer Alternator Mirage is $19.99 retail.

[*] It's not exclusive, but it's pretty rare to find.

[*] Perfect Transformation, even if it only has two-modes vs the three-modes of the toynami-valk.

[*] Alternator-Mirage is prettier, great poseable, non-floppy, and had quality plastic-construction.

So how then does the Toynami sdcc-valk compare against it, i.e. what makes the Toynami sdcc-valk justifiable at it's price ($20+) against the local Alternator competition?

421912[/snapback]

You're also taking the timeline factor out of it. For $40 today you might find a 1/55, but when they came out (rerelease), weren't they more like $60-$80. A couple years from now, I'm sure you'll find the less desireable 1/100s for $5-$10....

Edited by RT junkie

I think the best way to settle this is to do this kind of comparo: Alternator Mirage vs Toynami-Valk

[*] Perfect Transformation, even if it only has two-modes vs the three-modes of the toynami-valk.

[*] Alternator-Mirage is prettier, great poseable, non-floppy, and had quality plastic-construction.

So how then does the Toynami sdcc-valk compare against it, i.e. what makes the Toynami sdcc-valk justifiable at it's price ($20+) against the local Alternator competition?

421943[/snapback]

Well, there could be many reasons. First, the transformers toy line has a much bigger customer base than macross, hence they can sell a lot more. Second, Hasbro is a much bigger company with a lot more resources, so they probably didn't have to invest as much capital upfront to design the toys. Furthermore, the fact that the alternators line is a joint venture between Hasbro and Takara helps keep the cost down.

Edited by Ivan

421912[/snapback]

421937[/snapback]

i wasn't really comparing it a 1/55 other than what $20 more dollars would get you, thats was really the only point i was trying to make. if i had a choice between owning 2 of these to 1 chunky, i'd take the chunky, thats my choice, for some they may choose to go the other way.

don't get it mixed up, i'm not swearing these off, i still somewhat like the 1/100 for what is it(outside of a handful of gripes i can list on one hand), its just for the price i was expecting more/better.

the reason why i(i can't speak for anyone else) didn't mention the older 1/100 scale toys/models is i simply don't own any of them to draw a comparison too. perhaps that would change my opinion a bit, who knows? but the long and short of it is, if ones expectations are too high, they'll be disappointed in these which is the case for me.

I think the best way to settle this is to do this kind of comparo:  Alternator Mirage vs Toynami-Valk

421943[/snapback]

Well, there could be many reasons.  First, the transformers toy line has a much bigger customer base than macross, hence they can sell a lot more.  Second, Hasbro is a much bigger company with a lot more resources, so they probably didn't have to invest as much capital upfront to design the toys.  Furthermore, the fact that the alternators line is a joint venture between Hasbro and Takara helps keep the cost down.

421953[/snapback]

Plus Hasbro doesn't have to royalties on Transformers. I imagine a good part of that $20 is going to Harmony Gold. Comparing these to transformers is apples and oranges. I'll definitely be getting one of these once I have some extra cash.

I think the best way to settle this is to do this kind of comparo:  Alternator Mirage vs Toynami-Valk

421943[/snapback]

Well, there could be many reasons.  First, the transformers toy line has a much bigger customer base than macross, hence they can sell a lot more.  Second, Hasbro is a much bigger company with a lot more resources, so they probably didn't have to invest as much capital upfront to design the toys.  Furthermore, the fact that the alternators line is a joint venture between Hasbro and Takara helps keep the cost down.

421953[/snapback]

Your right. Not to mention Alternators are MASS MARKET. TRU, Walmart, Target, most of them investing in hasbro for them. The same cannot be said for Toynami. And the only rare alternators are the ones that

a-are exclusives(so far only nemesis prime)

b-come out at the end of the year

c-come out at the end of the seasonal assortment(Swerve).

For the most part within 3-4 months most are in saturation and relatively easy to find. Besides we are comparing valkyries here. What you are doing is almost like comparing a 1/48 to MP Prime and trying to justify why the 1/48 costs more....only in your comparison your asking why the valk costs more, but you guys get my drift.

i wasn't really comparing it a 1/55 other than what $20 more dollars would get you, thats was really the only point i was trying to make. if i had a choice between owning 2 of these to 1 chunky, i'd take the chunky, thats my choice, for some they may choose to go the other way.

don't get it mixed up, i'm not swearing these off, i still somewhat like the 1/100 for what is it(outside of a handful of gripes i can list on one hand), its just for the price i was expecting more/better.

the reason why i(i can't speak for anyone else) didn't mention the older 1/100 scale toys/models is i simply don't own any of them to draw a comparison too. perhaps that would change my opinion a bit, who knows? but the long and short of it is, if ones expectations are too high, they'll be disappointed in these which is the case for me.

thing is if anyone had a choice between a 1/100 and a 1/48 or 1/55, I am sure damn near all of us would pick the 1/48 and 1/55. But we all know unless there is some super duper clearance sale, niether one of those will ever be $20. Again for the msrp, I wasn't expecting a mini me 1/55, MPC or 1/48. The pics from fall toyfair clearly showed that. This also looks a ton better than the 1//100 taka/bandais. Sure those are OG, but those were nothing more than minime simplified 1/55's; the bargain line of Macross way back when. The articulation and aesthetics of the toynami 1/100 outshines the old taka/bandai 1/100. I'm sure those things were probably around the same price range as well. For $80, Yes I would have expected much. For $20? I certainly wasn't. Now I realize a lot of you feel burned from ordering the VF-1 MPC's when they came out; I don't blame you, but this is a different toy. And a totally different price. This isn't hasbro we are talking about here, this is a relatively small company, not a huge corporation. I mean if we can say that Yamato is a small company compared to bandai and justify their prices with no bias since they are small, surely we can do the same for toynami with regards to

this particular product. I would have felt ripped off ordering the MPC for full msrp but I certianly wouldn't feel ripped buying a 1/100 for $20. Not when the only same scale alternatives are vintage ones on ebay and model kits that will inevitably break in my hand.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Well, I think the 1/100 looks beautiful in all modes. Also, the fighter-mode picture that Jenius posted shows a pretty messy transformation -- I can get mine to look way better. If you're careful, the gaps between the intakes are minimal. I'll post a pic ASAP.

This is just a word definition post, it's not meant to sound snippy or anything but we disagree so it may read that way -

As I mentioned before, heatshields and swapping have nothing to do with "perfect transformation." The original Takatoku is a perfect transformation toy and has no heatshield so you can see the cockpit in battroid mode (or, conversely, it has only a heatshield so you can't see a cockpit in fighter mode). That toy is heralded as being one of the best early examples of perfect transformation. Therefore, the fact that this Toynami 1/100 can go from battroid to fighter and back again with either a cockpit or heatshield equipped the full time (granted, it'd look a bit strange in either one or two modes) means it operates within the realm of perfect transformation. This also means that the MPC, with its removeable heatshield, is perfect transformation. By your logic, the 1/48s aren't perfect transformation because you have to remove the intake covers... You have to draw a line somewhere... that line is drawn by most where accessories come into play, such as heatshields or intake covers.

The funny thing is, about your comment regarding saving for a 1/55, I'm currently doing a full review of the first Banprestos (not that anyone really cares about those anymore) and in the concluding paragraph I go into the options and say

"No one should pay $20 for this toy and at that pricepoint you could get the superior Toynami 1/100 but many collectors might be happiest just saving until they reached $40 so they could purchase a bargain priced Yamato 1/60 or Toynami MPC."

That review will be up tomorrow or Friday... my batteries died on my camera tonight and I'm helping a buddy move tomorrow.

Edited by jenius

There's been A LOT of talk about how the 1/100 Toynami valk is a "great deal" for $20.

Just out of curiousity, how many of you out there actually ONLY paid $20 for the VF-1S Hikaru? Or, any of the other 1/100 models?

If you went to the convention to buy the VF-1S Hikaru you had to pay the conference entrance fee, plus transportation costs. Plus, didn't someone say it was selling for $25 at the booth? (I may be wrong on that one.)

If you bought them from the RT site, you had to buy the "Roy/Rick/Max" combo for $59.99 + shipping, which is NOT $20 a piece. I've seen the individual figures listed on eBay, for about $23 each + shipping.

Point is, even though the MSRP is $20 - the ACTUAL price isn't. I myself bought it from LOS for about $40 (including shipping) ... about the same as a 1/55 Bandai.

Not trying to stir it up or annoy anyone - just some thoughts.

:)

I don't think anyone is talking about the SDCC one, we're talking about all the regular releases. They're showing up with more regularity for $59.99 and there's a good bet they'll make their way for that price to brick&mortar stores so you will be able to get them for $20 each... and not long after that the retailers will probably mark them down even more.

If you look at new Yammy 1/48 releases, they always start at one price point because not all the vendors have them yet and work their way down over the next few months as competition escalates... the same will happen here (on a much smaller scale... literally!)

There's been A LOT of talk about how the 1/100 Toynami valk is a "great deal" for $20.

Just out of curiousity, how many of you out there actually ONLY paid $20 for the VF-1S Hikaru?  Or, any of the other 1/100 models?

If you went to the convention to buy the VF-1S Hikaru you had to pay the conference entrance fee, plus transportation costs.  Plus, didn't someone say it was selling for $25 at the booth?  (I may be wrong on that one.)

If you bought them from the RT site, you had to buy the "Roy/Rick/Max" combo for $59.99 + shipping, which is NOT $20 a piece.  I've seen the individual figures listed on eBay, for about $23 each + shipping.

Point is, even though the MSRP is $20 - the ACTUAL price isn't.  I myself bought it from LOS for about $40 (including shipping) ... about the same as a 1/55 Bandai.

Not trying to stir it up or annoy anyone - just some thoughts.

422029[/snapback]

Your talking about taking shipping into account and all that. Msrp is $19.99. The SDCC one was $25. Which wasn't bad. Thats how much Alternator Nemesis Prime was and noone really raised a stink about his price. Sure it took gas and all that to get to SDCC but when you got there, thats how much they would charge you. Gas and all that only takes into account if you were reselling what you bought to cover the expenses of you going there yourself and buying it for said friend.

The RT price + shipping is ordering it online. if you were to walk into a store like suncoast, a local comic shop, and anime store or whereever, you would pay 20$ for one+tax.

Great points folks ... guess we'll wait and see. IF those figures actually show up at my local suncoast store, like previous Toynami toys. And I hope they do indeed get the marked down price in a few months.

If you look at new Yammy 1/48 releases, they always start at one price point because not all the vendors have them yet and work their way down over the next few months as competition escalates... the same will happen here (on a much smaller scale... literally!)

Is this likely to happen? I never really thought about that. So, are you saying that if I wait to buy some of the upcoming new 1/48 releases, I might be able to buy them cheaper months later?!? No way! Cause right now I am torn - I want to get the DYRL Max & Kakizaki, AND the VF-0A - but I think my budget will only allow 2. Which ones to get?!?!