What If: Super-scale Vf-1 Toy

reddsun1

If Yamato/someone made a 1:18 scale non TF Valkyrie, would you buy?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. If Yamato/someone made a 1:18 scale non TF Valkyrie, would you buy?

• Hell yeah! That'd be 2 1/2 feet of Valkyrie goodness!
    • Maybe; 1/48's are already killing my wallet...
    • Nah. If it doesn't transform, I don't want it.

Considering the recent surge in popularity with really big scale aircraft toys, like BBI, 21st Century Toys, etc--what if the VF-1 got the super-size treatment? Using specs from Macross Compendium, the toy would come out rougly:

Length: just over 31 inches

Height: about 8 1/2 inches

Width: just over 32 inches, wings extended

Keeping it non-transforming should help contain costs, and allow for some serious attention to details. Perhaps if they could bring it in at around $69-$79 retail? Of course, the legs and back fins would need to be convertable, to add optional Super parts [around $14-$19?]. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it didn't TF, as I very rarely convert my VF-1S Roy on display; maybe 98% of the time it's in fighter mode anyway. I just think a huge-assed VF able to be displayed next to, say a BBI Hornet or warbird would be so fuggin cool.

And besides, we all know the old Matchbox ver. was pretty much ass anyway...

Edited by reddsun1

Hell yeah I would! If they had real attention to detail, I'd want it if it was in the $89 range. Though I have yet to see any of these other "biggie-sized" aircraft, so I can't really be sure how it would look.

Edited by Phren

Nope. Knowing Yamato it'd be WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too expensive.

Honestly. Would you have room for a 1/18 VF-1?

421041[/snapback]

For a VF-1 that big, I'd make room. Even if for only one. Okay, so maybe I was being a bit optimistic with my "MSRP." Maybe $89-$99? But for sake of keeping it there or under [with Yamato? yeah, right! <_< ], I'd say no TF features, save for the legs. So sadly, no GERWALK--but let's say the legs could be put fully down ["Stalking Fighter" mode, is it called?]. C'mon, seriously--a 2 1/2 foot long Valkyrie with Super boosters and leg armor? [sold separately, of course] Which would leave the door wide open for some decent [finally] 4" Hikaru, Roy, Max and Kakizaki figures. Who wouldn't think that was cool? Would make for a kick-ass home-movie prop.

C'mon! Before Yamato came along with the 1/48's, people--albeit, not a whole lot--were willing to pay ungodly sums for a resin Ultimate Detail VF-1 model--which didn't transform IIRC, by the way! You mean you wouldn't pay 85 or 90 bucks for a kick-ass detailed plastic version that's even bigger?

Edited by reddsun1

Well I`d have to see it first but I would have to be really detailed. Otherwise it may just as well be a supersize Yamato, which I would get just to say I had one.

Edited by big F

They make the f-18 hornets in 1/18 scale. As a matter fact, it is in my office hanging. Now these are made by BBI. That sucker is in fact huge. now you want the non transformable VF-1 in 1/18 scale? Shouldnt be a problem. The f-18 cost $89. But what is the point? I rather spend money on 1/48s. That is why I am dumping my 1/18 BBI stuff.

whats the point of making a VF-1 if it doesn't transform?

if i wanted something that large in fighter mode, i'd pick something more unique/cooler than the vf-1.

keep in mind, doyusha tried to make small scale non-trans valks and they couldn't get rid of them. granted they were a bit overpriced at $35 a pop but still.

if those doyusha's had more detail, i think they woulda sold better... some non-transforming painted Model Kits look frickin awesome so if something was ever mass produced w/ model like detail... i'd buy it even if it wasn't variable....

If it did transform I would buy more than one. But at 1/18 and super detailed... I'd have to have one. And I dont believe people that say they won't. You guys waste your money of POS Toynami crap because they're "just OK toys" would pass up something like an oversized, detailed and painted up the ying yang valk? I dont think so.

if i wanted something that large in fighter mode, i'd pick something more unique/cooler than the vf-1.

421325[/snapback]

HERESY! Thou speakest treason! An iconoclasm most foul, sir! :p

As for RW super scale toys, there's a 1/18 thread in the Sci-fi/Other section, and another review thread on one of BBI's F-18 toys, with lots of nice pics. Very cool toys. Doing a search on 1/18 planes turns up everything from WWII warbirds to Korean Sabres to Vietnam F-104s, etc. etc....

Could be cool. I knew some collectors who had huge scale model airplanes dangling from their ginormous vaulted ceiling. But while it's cool to look up and see a big stratofortress, it may be uber geekdom to look up and see a huge anime plane...

in any event, I have no interest in non-transforming valks.

wow, kind of a bummer to think that no one's really interested in a huge-a$$ Valk. So it was the non-TF thing that shoots it down, eh? So, by all accounts, Hasegawa's model sales ought to be in the toilet....

Dear God, how much would Yamato want for a 1/18 VF if it DID transform? I don't give a s--t how detailed it is, 3 or 4 hundred dollars or more would be just rediculous to expect for a toy, no matter how dang cool it is....

Hasegawa's models you have to build yourself. That in a sense would give the buyer something to do with it. As has been mentioned here some posts before if it turned out to be a 1:18 model kit people might be interested.

If not and it turns out to be a premade completed item and it doesn't transform, something it's famous for, it might not have the appeal.

The only way it would be worth it is if the plane is not just super detailed but looks like Doc Robs modified 1:18 hornet. All the details have to be present down to the rivets, access panels will have to be openable, the wings will have to sweep, the feet move, all the control surfaces, etc... While a fully variable one would uber cool it just wouldn't be practical at that size due to the material strength requirements, all plastic wouldn't hold up and a large amount of diecast would make it far too heavy.

But for a non transforming one I would want the following features as a minimum:

1) detailed cockpit

2) openning cockpit (duh)

3) variable wings

4) moving control surfaces (all of them)

5) folding tails

6) fully retracting undercarriage, including wheel rotation

7) moving thrust vector feet

8) openning and closing intakes

9) Openning and closing radome, with detailed radar

10) Openning and detailed maintenance panels, showing engine and transformation details, etc...

11) Different weapons packages, missiles, bombs, missile cases, nukes, gunpod, etc...

12) Moving head, make the head be able to pull out and swivel (like and hikaru and max both did in the VF-1S')

Now for a still not full variable one I would also want the rest:

1) Bending knees and hips (you can guess why)

2) Folding backpack (come on you have to have figured it out by now)

3) Fast packs and fast pack attachement (yep I want it super and strike capable)

Anything more then that and it would have to be fully variable, even stalking gerwalk would not be enough for most fans.

Hi everyone

I would buy some of the vf 1/48 even if they were NOT transformable, if the price was half, as i could then afford much more of them. I belive not all of them NEED to be transformable, you can have 1 that is, say 1 x vf-1a, the other vf-1a, would be only robots, and easier to get collection. For example, if i ever got the vf-1a low vis 1, I would NEVER transfomer it, only ROBOT mode. However, for the vf-1a low vis 2, i would want to transform it in either modes. It all depends on interest. I really dont need ALL my 1/48 to be transformable, just maybe 25-50% of them. THIS ONLY applies to 1/48th though, as there are alot of them, and does NOT apply to Zero or Macross Plus, where they are not so many models (those absolutely HAVE to be transformable). Oh, and i think the scale 1/48th is big enough, i cant afford more room, and i want it to be cheaper so i can have more, not be even more expensive. so 50-80$ is ok, otherwise, it is NOT worth it.

Thanks

If i remember correctly toynami (instantly dodges incoming barrage of miscellaneous objects) did make a couple of battriods that were about 5 feet tall. They were on extremely limited release, but i do remember seeing them, they have pics on their page.

421325[/snapback]

HERESY! Thou speakest treason! An iconoclasm most foul, sir! :p

421513[/snapback]

haha, i'm just saying how many different versions of the VF-1 do we really need? what if they made the vf-0? VF-19S? shoot the even VF-11B would be cooler than yet another VF-1, but thats just me.

now thats not to say i wouldn't buy it if they made it(i'm a sucker for this stuff), but it would really depend on the price, not to mention cost of shipping, and i'd also want some kind of guarantee that it won't come broken because i damn sure don't want to pay to ship it back to HK...ouch!

a 1/18 VF-1?? hmmm.......only if it could pull off that stalking gerwalk mode.

a 1/18 VF-4?! HELL YEAH! I'd buy two! (I don't care about the price or if it's transformable if they can bring that out) I would have one customized in my colors!!

Oh well, maybe some day. Perhaps some daring--and patient--custom builder may be able to undertake building a one-off example? Hey, I have no such skills/time/patience, otherwise I might try it myself. Then we can all be dazzled at the photos that would undoubtedly be posted for us all to envy and wonder at. True, the 1/48 Yammie would indeed serve as my basis for the up-scale, if given the choice, as it is currently the benchmark of VF representation par-excellence. But I would attempt to address the "big" canopy issue. Yes, I still think it looks a bit disproportionately large, in relation to the body....

And yes, a 1/18 non-TF VF-4 would kick ass up and down the block, too. It's one of my personal favorites, among "space fighter" designs. Wasn't it originally non-TF when Kawamori-san designed, i.e. didn't do battroid sketches at first? Or did he just leave that open to interpretation?