Toynami:

I'm wondering if that battroid coupler arm is going to end up taking paint off when trying to remove it? It looks like it's supporting a fair amount of the weight of the alpha, and I can just imagine little rings of scratched paint if it gets jammed in too tight.

Here's some additional shots I took of the two new Shadow Chronicles toys. Some of the mini mate figures, the Sterling and Shadow fighter Alphas as well as the diagram with the call-outs on the improvements to the Alpha that Toynami made.

As noted in their AX speech, the Beta is scheduled to come out this Winter 2007 and it will be more than $100 I could hear from the HG panel. But Tommy Yune said that since they were able to team with Aoshima and now the consumer based is widened with the Japanese market since pairing, they can now produce the Beta.

post-1065-1183511793_thumb.jpg

post-1065-1183511798.jpg

post-1065-1183511804_thumb.jpg

Indeed, I wonder why the purple Maia MPC wasn't shown.... they've got Marcus' there. I'm REALLY curious how they're going to stagger the releases. It appears they're shifting things around to make the Beta their first release since it's the only one that has a target date listed (a target date that appears to coincide with the Aoshima Legioss release). There's no mention of when the TSC Alphas, TNG Cyclones, or Wave 3 of the 1/100s will hit shelves.

Is Toynami making a bit of a break with HG or is something else going on? Maybe it's an old factoid to the rest of you, but I didn't realize these were actually marketed as "Macross DYRL" products as opposed to Robotech - it seems encouraging though. HG might just be letting go. . . It's also nice to see that the puffy skull on the 1/100 seems to have disappeared. Roys sig looks completely flat to the cockpit in the pictures anyway. Toynami (gasp) is actually paying a little bit of attention to their customers! If the super armor stays on and the QC is still tight, I may have to snatch these up.

The beta is finally slated for release: good news! Hopefully the part on the molds they are still working on is the cockpit - I'm sorry, what they have just seems like too much of a cop out to me

. Even thought they have a history of falling to pieces, on the Alphas at least they genuinely tried hard to get them to look right (I can't really complain, mine luckily has no major flaws - but it was still scary enough that I wouldn't have risked buying another).

Although the odds against it are really high, maybe this means that Toynami is making a sincere effort to change as a company. Okay, probably not, but it's nice to hope sometimes . . . .

So we'll have three different companies doing Cyclones for sure - Toynami, Beagle, and Megahouse (possibly 4 if CM's follows up it's Legioss). And at least two are doing a connecting Legioss (Well, three, but Aoshima is taking it's molds from Toynami so I'll wait to see how much they improve them)- Wow, great times for Mospeada fans!

Has there ever been updated images of the CM's designs, or has it pretty much vanished after the first "Holy cow that jet mode is Fugly" reaction?

As noted in their AX speech, the Beta is scheduled to come out this Winter 2007 and it will be more than $100 I could hear from the HG panel.

So, the Beta's already out?! j/k

They probably mean December 2007, which in Toynami/HG-speak means we'll see these things no sooner than Spring 2008 (hopefully).

Any word on the type of joints they used for the Beta's shoulders and hips?

Has there ever been updated images of the CM's designs, or has it pretty much vanished after the first "Holy cow that jet mode is Fugly" reaction?

For all we know, the silence may be due to CM's re-designing the Legioss and that Tread connection. I'm sure the folks that subscribe to the hobby mags have more info. than me and my wild speculation.

Personally, I look at this competition (to build the first large-scale Beta/Tread) as our own little Project Supernova ^_^:p .

Edited by Mog

Oooh. 1/100 Cannon Fodder! :wub:

That and some fast packs would make my day. Oh, yes, and the Tread too.

* Edit - Interesting, the pictures above show on the display card that the 1/100 Series Three is a "Super Valkyrie Deluxe Set", ostensibly with fastpacked CF, a Hikaru 1S, and a Roy 1S... Odd choice for the third series imho...

Edited by Hiriyu

HG got a DYRL toy license from Tatsunoko a few years ago and all the Macross stuff since then has been Macross, starting with the Superposeables. My Super Poseable VF-1S Strike Hikaru is Macross, my 1/100 VF-1S Hikaru is Macross... this is nothing new.

HG got a DYRL toy license from Tatsunoko a few years ago and all the Macross stuff since then has been Macross, starting with the Superposeables. My Super Poseable VF-1S Strike Hikaru is Macross, my 1/100 VF-1S Hikaru is Macross... this is nothing new.

Interesting. I asked Steve Yun about it when the DYRL Superposables came out and his answer was that nothing changed with the license, they were just asserting their rights to Macross license they have always had.

Is Aoshima working on the cyclones also? I'd consider it if they were.

I'd get those 1/100s if they came out with schemes that don't show up anywhere else... like the Max and Kakizaki TV1As or the Elint and Ostrich, but I still think they're a waste of space. Or maybe Enemy fighters. I got one as a gift and I put it back in the box.

• 4 weeks later...

VERY NICE PICS, kiririth!! B))

With your close-up look at the thing, were you able to tell what type of joints the Beta has or how the arms will stay locked in place in bomber mode?

I know this is Toynami we're talking about here, but I really hope that they can come up with a solid locking mechanism for the cockpit. I really don't want to spend half my posing time trying to keep the damn cockpit closed.

took some pics of the link up of the Alpha Beta...

7-30-07020.jpg

I like this shot. Only problem, the alpha's in the way...

Hmm, I'm not sure I am happy with the connector arm. I know they are limited by what they can do, but that's the only support I can see, which places a lot of strain on that part. Given how relatively heavy the Alpha is, that's going to be an area of concern.

I also hope they get the cockpit to secure better; a "smiling" Beta while connected to the Alpha is a bit weird.. :p

I *think* the connector for the Alpha (in Soldier) to the Beta as seen above is actually part of (or supported by) the large display stand beneath. If this is the case than that should really help alleviate some of the strain. I'm really hoping the open cockpit of the Beta was just a quick mess-up by the person who put it together... (fingers crossed)

Thanks for the Beta pics for those who posted 'em. Looks like the SAME beta prototype that we've seen in previous conventions, in previous years. So release date of Winter 2007 .... what Crapnami really means is Spring 2008 or later ..

<_<

I *think* the connector for the Alpha (in Soldier) to the Beta as seen above is actually part of (or supported by) the large display stand beneath. If this is the case than that should really help alleviate some of the strain. I'm really hoping the open cockpit of the Beta was just a quick mess-up by the person who put it together... (fingers crossed)

Hmmm mm.

A few thoughts.

One, the stand may not come with the actual. On the Beta Battroid, that seems to be grooves on the upper part of the crotch area, so it might be, but it's really hard to say at this point. At any rate though, a stand is not the answer because it relegates the connected Armo-Soldier to a display piece, and you just know someone would play with it off the stand. If the material strength isn't strong enough, well... flying (followed rapidly by crashing) Legiosses would be a concern.

Then again, the Beta's really too big to be playing with..

Two, the connecting arm's not the only weak point. I'm not sure whether the arm actually extends sufficiently to cup the Legioss' groin -- the pics aren't very clear on this point (hidden mostly by the Legioss' legs) and the arm doesn't seem long enough. If it doesn't cup, that means the whole Legioss is essentially supported/ hanging by the hinges that the cockpit connects to the torso. I'm not really sufficiently confident of that joint. As it is, the stand/ display seems to be canted backwards a bit, so it might be taking the weight off the joint a bit.. I'm also not sure whether the Legioss is a production build (with the heavy die-cast content) or a resin mockup (considerably lighter), it looks like a production build...

I think it does cup the Legioss' groin, because the alternative is just too stupid to consider. Would help if we have additional pictures from other angles..

I don't mind another delay as long as they get the Beta right. I don't care much for the Aoshima Legiosses, but I do want at least a Beta for my Alphas. The hip joint of the Beta still worries me a lot and the "concelament" of the cockpit in soldier mode is a really poor design choice. I don't like the soldier's proportions either (CMs is way better), but I guess I'll have to live with that and display it in Bomber mode at all times.

What I find interesting is that there is no mention of the BETA anywhere, ANYWHERE on the Toynami site. You figure a product that fans have been clamoring for and want really bad they would have at least some basic info about it. The only thing they mention from Comic-con was more Naruto statues and nothing else. Sounds kind of suspect to me. Like they are still just gauging interest and they still do not intend on going into production until they know for a fact that they can sell them.

• 3 months later...

Should I just break out the usual checklist? :rolleyes:

1. Spring 2008 = Fall 2008 (at the earliest).

2. Some new pics of their products, but nothing to show they've got the floppy-arm issues resolved.

Time to sedate the Mog avatar for the winter.

CM's, where are you?!!! Save us with an awesome Tread!!

Waiting for CM corp.......

Me too. CM is about to be done with their brave go-kin Ippatsuman and Gaiking stuff (November release).

Unless they change their mind once again, my money is on CM is getting back on track with their tread.