Aliens Vs. Predator 2 Script and Movie Review

Aliens + Colonial Marines are the s**t! B))

The M41 Pulse Rifle from Aliens is still among the best sci-fi prop made so far. Not bad for 20+ year old props!

Some more M41 goodness from some fans.

Speaking of Colonial Marines, I recall a little discussion when I was in Marine Combat Training in 1993. During one of our humps/forced marches/unit movements, I was lucky to be near the front of the march. 2 of the squad leaders were talking with our Staff Sergeant, and the discussion went on about the random, future possibilities of the Marine Corps. The SSgt was just rambling on about how the USMC could possibly be something like the Colonial Marines as seen on Aliens. Small, rapid deployment force, lavishly equipped for a myriad of duties especially for small unit actions.

The things you talk about when you're bored ^_^

Well I don't see the Aliens designs as being realistic at all. Stylish and dream worthy definitely, but not realistic. A machine gun that you carry at your hip, and can't even assume a prone firing position with like the Smartgun? Unless they were forced to, no soldier would ever fire a machine gun from a standing position. The pulse rifle, that doesn't even have sights for a soldier to aim with, or even rails or a means to add on attachments? It doesn't take a gun-freak to see that those designs would never become a reality.

I know I'm just nit-picking an insignificant detail here, but there's no reason why the new BSG's example can't be followed: the use of weapons like the G36 and SA-80 that are real firearms yet look exotic enough to be sci-fi...

The smartgun can be used in several different positions (there was also a pic of a smartgunner kneeling too).

The M41 can mount optics. I can't remember if it is mentioned in the Tech. manual, but there is a picture of it in the M41 Pulse Rifle manual. Also, you don't need to have sights in order to shoot accurately. Sights are more important for longer ranges or pinpoint accuracy. In the cramped corridors of the colony, the aliens were at hissing distance.

I can't stand it when a TV show or movie that takes place in the future has a soldier with a G36 (or P90 or everyother gun with polymer in it). I completely lose any suspension of disbelief. It sticks out like a sore thumb. At least with Aliens, there was an attempt at making something unique and the VP70 was (and to a degree, still is) somewhat obscure. Most of the ones I see in modern Sci-Fi are quite recognizable. You don't have to be a gun nut to recognize that the same props make an appearance every three minutes on a diffenent cable channel.

I wish they would come out with an updated Tech. Manual. There were some really interesting articles by the author in Aliens Magazine that never made it into the book. I'm currently looking for a copy of the M41 Pulse Rifle manual. That's supposed to have some good stuff in it too.

Speaking of Colonial Marines, I recall a little discussion when I was in Marine Combat Training in 1993. During one of our humps/forced marches/unit movements, I was lucky to be near the front of the march. 2 of the squad leaders were talking with our Staff Sergeant, and the discussion went on about the random, future possibilities of the Marine Corps. The SSgt was just rambling on about how the USMC could possibly be something like the Colonial Marines as seen on Aliens. Small, rapid deployment force, lavishly equipped for a myriad of duties especially for small unit actions.

I heard a while back that the USMC were going to try to put Marines in space. It's kind of weird how reality is starting to resemble Aliens more and more. The Army's Stryker and Landwarrior/Future Force Warrior are reminiscant of the M577 APC and Colonial Marines. There are even several prototype powered exoskeletons as well. Just don't invest in any Weylan(d)-Yutani stock.

okay that does it - tonight I'm watching Aliens. And my son is gonna' watch it with me for his 1st time.

Be careful. I can remember the first time I watched it. At five years old, I bacame a fan instantly. I've seen the first two movies so many times, I lost count. I wonder if my mom ever regretted renting it after all of those AvP cards. Nothing says "Happy Mother's Day" like an Alien fighting a Predator. Ah, nostalgia...I've got to dig those cards up one of these days.

Yeah, same with me. I think I've seen Aliens over 50 times in my life. As a kid, my friends and I used to electrical-tape together various toy guns to try and make them resemble Ripley's ending ass-kicker ensemble. So tonight my lil' boy saw Aliens (he's seen the 1st one) and he loved it! But I don't think he'll be a fanboy like I turned out to be. He's the type of kid you just buy a bouncy ball for and it's just as entertaining as the terror drome...

I've heard it in other occasions in the military, too :lol:

"All right people, what are you waiting for, breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps. A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet. Every paycheck a fortune. Every formation a parade. I love the Corps!"

It did help that the guy that played Apone was a former Marine also.

The smart gun never bothered me really, as I saw the drumg magazine on the side and figured it held a lot of ammo. What bothered me on the pulse rifle was that it was supposed to be 10mm, and somehow that small thin clip was supposed to hold 98 rounds of ammunition in it (and it first started bothering me around 10 years old after I started learning about guns). I always laughed when I saw that pulse rifles spitting out shells when they were firing "caseless" ammunition.

I love Aliens though, as the things I mentioned are just nitpicking.

AvP2 should have had colonial marines. :p

slightly off the weapons topic... Big F can back me up on this, a certain UK television station likes to censor naughty words in funniest ways... when they used to show "aliens" i used fall over with laughter at the bit where they are being briefed on the Sulacco and hudson asks the question "how do i get out of this chicken sh*t outfit" for us that said "how do i get out of this chicken outfit"!!!!!!!! LOL!

and of course every 'f**kin' was changed to a 'freakin'. Come to think of it DieHard had some real beuty censored lines too.

Actually it`s an airsoft gun that I bought from Airsoftextreme.com. They still have the Thompson in stock but the Pulse Rifle conversion kit is sold out. I had them assemble it since it really wasn`t much more for them to do it. That and the fact it was my first airsoft and I didn`t want to screw it up :lol: .

What's still awesome with Aliens is that even my 18, 19 year old Marines know in detail this "old movie" as well as the lines B)) Usually only stuff like Star Wars gets that treatment.

"Game over, man! Game over!!!"

I can't find the source now, but I remember hearing that Paxton ad-libbed that famous line.

All this Aliens talk has me jonesing to rewatch the movie. I might just do that now. :)

well I do have to admit, if I had to choose between PW Anderson's movie and this, I'd have to say AVP2 looks better in all the right ways.

We've got lots of characters to get killed off, we got what looks like a good amount of gore and shock treatment.

My favorite clip off the trailer was watching that girl get pinned onto the wall by whatever boomerang the pred throws, HOT.

One thing that AvP 1 got right was the agility and deadliness of the Aliens. In that first major fight scene between the Ailens and the Preds, it was almost an even fight in terms of how many of each side got killed. I hope these Aliens still have that same sense of deadliness and danger.

Also, new AvP 2 clip here: Blood, guts, gore... oh, my.

Edited by CoryHolmes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I caught this last night. In a word...Pa-thetic. I liked how the Predalien (or whatever) chestbursts then in instantly a mature alien and killin' folks. That's actually worse than the first AvP where you could at least imagine that there was a slight lag. And why the hell does the predator accidentally blow a hole in the ship? Kinda suicidal, dontcha think? If only Predators had an easier way of committing suicide...oh wait, they DO! The whole clip is editied like a 6-year old would describe the movie, ie one big runon sentence.

"OMG, ok so theres this ship and a predalien is on in an he kills a predator an the other predator tries to kill him and the ship crashes then these hunters get facehuggers an a predator sees a video of it and flies off!"

At least that way the movie is on track to be mercifully less than 90 mins. And the last bit with the other Predator on his Pred-o-lounger made me "lol". But the worst part is that there will be fans, some of which inhabit this very board, who'll look at this and love it.

"Yes! Predalien! Take that, other anonymous predator!"

"Woot, blew a hole in teh ship!"

"D'oh! A deer!"

"Oh snap! Melted his arm off!"

etc, etc...

I love the way the trailer plays...

a crashing space ship overhead

<gratuitous gore shot; gratuitous gore shot...>

a few talking heads

a screaming actress

gratuitous gore shot

Where the hell is the character? The story? The dramatic tension? You know, all the stuff that made the first two great and actually created a franchise/fan base for these awful crap sequels? Or is it just understood that this film will lack all of that and we're not supposed to care because it's got lots of...

<gratuitous gore shot; gratuitous gore shot; gratuitous gore shot...>

I love the way the trailer plays...

a crashing space ship overhead

a few talking heads

a screaming actress

gratuitous gore shot

Where the hell is the character? The story? The dramatic tension? You know, all the stuff that made the first two great and actually created a franchise/fan base for these awful crap sequels? Or is it just understood that this film will lack all of that and we're not supposed to care because it's got lots of...

<gratuitous gore shot; gratuitous gore shot; gratuitous gore shot...>

Mr March, you didn't have any good expectations earlier for this impending train wreck, right? ^_^

I sure as heck didn't. I just love following up in this thread to see "teh goodness" that is the AvP series unfold (or fester) even more!

Why wasn't the predalien a queen? Wouldn't that make more sense? Did it get full-grown simply by eating the predator it launched out of? How did it become full-grown in what appears to be about 20 seconds? Were the predators just orbiting around the earth for a while for fun?

With the right "Big book-o' Answers to AVP2" written by the producers, maybe we can all appreciate what is going on a little better.

The 5 minute clips online are just that, tiny clips shoddily edited. Only a couple times do the online clips actually follow the pacing of the movie, usually about half the footage is cut.

That being said, even if the movie's pants, the score is pretty-fracking sweet. It's like Brian Tyler wrote us fans a valentine. We've got Silverstri-styled percussion for the Predator, Goldsmith's (Alien) brass ambience, Horner's (Aliens) energetic action writing (with quotes of "Bishop's Countdown"), Goldenthal's (Alien3) psychotic brass/string writing, and even bits of Frizzel's (Resurrection) style. At least the music'll be good. You can listen to both

"Decimation Proclamation" and "Aliens vs Predator Requiem" on his myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/briantylercomposer