• 1 month later...

I just finished watching Zeta Gundam and I have a question about the time between the end of Zeta and Chars Counter attack what was Char up to in the interim?

Is their a Manga side story or does any novels cover this.

Edited by miles316

Originally Gremy Toto's uprising was going to be Char, so assumedly he would have been undermining Haman, creating cyber newtypes, and splintering off part of Zeon. But since CCA got greenlit, we can assume he anticipated that whole fallout, and was hanging out at Anneheim designing the Sazabi & new psychoframe...

Originally Gremy Toto's uprising was going to be Char, so assumedly he would have been undermining Haman, creating cyber newtypes, and splintering off part of Zeon. But since CCA got greenlit, we can assume he anticipated that whole fallout, and was hanging out at Anneheim designing the Sazabi & new psychoframe...

Thanks I did not realise their was a second series but its not on Crunchy roll.

Thanks I did not realise their was a second series but its not on Crunchy roll.

Universal Century animation in chronological order(not counting IGLOO)

Gundam 0079(original series)

Gundam 08th MS team(OVA set at same time as original series)

Gundam 0080(OVA set in final weeks of the one year war)

Gundam 0083(OVA)

Zeta Gundam(tv series)

ZZ Gundam(also called Double Zeta tv series)

Gundam Char's Counterattack(movie)

Gundam Unicorn(OVA)

Gundam F91(movie)

Victory Gundam(tv series)

Notes:

The Zeta Gundam movies may or may not have retconned ZZ Gundam out of existance due to changes in the plot they made.

G-Saviour was a live action film that took place after the federation had colapsed, but has since been officially retconned.

Turn A Gundam might be a U.C. Gundam series set very very far into its future, but nothing concrete has been said.

There are also short OVAs that exist that either expand upon what's seen in the series, or give alternate "what if" scenarios to key events. The name of the eludes me right now.

MS IGLOO is a cgi series that is set at various points before, during, and just after the original one year war.

I just finished watching Zeta Gundam and I have a question about the time between the end of Zeta and Chars Counter attack what was Char up to in the interim?

He was doing what Char does: leaving stashes of gold bars around and hanging out in bars, picking up girls. :lol:

I was watching Zeta and was expecting Char to stab them in the back some how, but it never happened does he reappear in Double Zeta?

He doesn't.

Apparently, he was GOING to, but as Keith said, plans were changed.

If you want to know what happens to Kamille, Fa, and a host of the minor characters, Double Zeta is a must-see.

That said, again, it's NOTHING like Zeta.

Expect chickens. Lots of them.

He was doing what Char does: leaving stashes of gold bars around and hanging out in bars, picking up girls. :lol:

I like to think Char died at the end of Zeta, and that it's just another one of his clones in CCA.

ZZ is actually pretty good, once you get past the first chunk of 20-ish episodes. No doubt the first portion of ZZ was in response to critics claiming Zeta was too dark & gritty, so for them, we got the Zeta Zaku, & Moon Moon colony.

• 1 month later...

Just finished watching Turn A Gundam. Cool series, very unlike some of the other Tomino stuff. It almost had a Miyazaki feel to it.

Anyway I just wanted to ask some of those more into the Gundam lore about the ending, specifically what we see in the epilogue:

I'm under the impression that Loran Cehack stayed on Earth to take care of the needs of the true Dianna Soriel as a kind of butler/bodyguard. She's tired of ruling and allows Kihel Heim to take her place. However I've read a couple of reviews and online stuff were people point to the ring she has on her hand as a sign that she and Loran are a couple. So, does Loran Cehak actually marry Dianna Soriel? Is there any word of God or other source on this? I checked the Gundam Wiki but there's nothing on this issue.

There's also the scene with the broken hearted Sochie, and really, why would Loran simply "movie in" With Diana.

Yeah, but broken hearted Sochie could just as well be because he decided to dedicate his life in the service of Dianna Soriel in a remote location, thus making it complicated for Sochie and Loran to have any kind of relationship.

"Movie in"? Are you suggesting I watch the movie versions? Or is it a typo?

Yeah, but broken hearted Sochie could just as well be because he decided to dedicate his life in the service of Dianna Soriel in a remote location, thus making it complicated for Sochie and Loran to have any kind of relationship.

"Movie in"? Are you suggesting I watch the movie versions? Or is it a typo?

Considering it was in the middle of the night, I'd say "typo." As for Sochie, if it were a simple matter of him becoming a servent, she'd be able to move in too.

Turn-A is, by some accounts, the series that let Tomino finally overcome his decades-long battle with depression - this is why some of his earlier works are up and down like a yo-yo. Its still got some of his trademark narrative jumpiness - Tomino never can seem to let things sit still - but its probably his most balanced series since the original Gundam TV series (which I'm currently watching on DVD - isn't Bright just awesome...? :) ). Its a fantastic series overall, and really deserves to be known for being more than "just another Gundam series"...

Tomino has always been a genius at creating worlds; one of the things thats striking me about the original series compared to things like SEED is just how detailed the setting its taking place is in, especially compared to other anime of the same vintage. I enjoyed SEED and Destiny (mostly, theres bits that made me despair for mecha fandom... :) ), but one gets the feeling that the reason UC stuff is so popular is because its setting is as solid as... well, an asteroid fortress.

I like to think Char died at the end of Zeta, and that it's just another one of his clones in CCA.

I can empathize with that. Having Char on the side of the angels in Zeta was cool, then having him dive headlong into "let's destroy the Earth" mode again a few years after is a little of a letdown.

Turn-A is, by some accounts, the series that let Tomino finally overcome his decades-long battle with depression - this is why some of his earlier works are up and down like a yo-yo. Its still got some of his trademark narrative jumpiness - Tomino never can seem to let things sit still - but its probably his most balanced series since the original Gundam TV series (which I'm currently watching on DVD - isn't Bright just awesome...? :) ). Its a fantastic series overall, and really deserves to be known for being more than "just another Gundam series"...

Tomino has always been a genius at creating worlds; one of the things thats striking me about the original series compared to things like SEED is just how detailed the setting its taking place is in, especially compared to other anime of the same vintage. I enjoyed SEED and Destiny (mostly, theres bits that made me despair for mecha fandom... :) ), but one gets the feeling that the reason UC stuff is so popular is because its setting is as solid as... well, an asteroid fortress.

I agree. Tomino is an amazing creator of worlds. Much better so than a director. You get the impression sometimes that some of his characters are trying to represent an idea or a vision he has, but by doing so their actions as human beings turn out to be quite head scratching.

It's such a shame that Bandai Entertainment went bust just before they were going to release Turn a Gundam. It deserves a bigger audience.

I agree. Tomino is an amazing creator of worlds. Much better so than a director. You get the impression sometimes that some of his characters are trying to represent an idea or a vision he has, but by doing so their actions as human beings turn out to be quite head scratching.

It's such a shame that Bandai Entertainment went bust just before they were going to release Turn a Gundam. It deserves a bigger audience.

Here's hoping Noizomi decides to rescue it, as their slate will be clean after they're release of Nadesico.

• 1 month later...
Um...not to go off topic..but I have a question about the Zeta Gundam anime and...I can't find the Gundam Show Thread??

I find your ability to use The Search disturbing. But you may ask. :p

I tried using the search.....

Anyways - here's the question:

In the Zeta Gundam anime - why is it that the Titans suddenly stop using the MK II pretty much around the time when the AEUG repaint therir MK II?

Technically, before the Zeta shows up, the MK II is the most powerful MS in most battles - and I just kind of figured that if the Titans had a whole bunch of them - equally powerful - competing against ONE AUEG MK II, they would most likely have won...

Or...am I wrong??

Pete

There are a couple of reasons. first of all, the Mk II was a prototype not meant for actual combat. Its main purpose was to test the movable frame 360° cockpit. Second, therr were only 3 produced. The AEUG initilly stole 2, dismantlig one for research. Forgot what happened to the third but I think Kamilles father abandoned it so he could steal Quatro's Rick Dias. or perhaps it was taken out during the initial theft. Lastly, the Mk II was not top of the line. It wasn't much more than a suped up RX-78. The Titans already had new superior models like the Byalant, Ashimar, and just about anything Jerid pilofed post Hizack. Anneheim used it a bit in their Zeta project MS, but most of those also outperformed the Mk II.

If anything, I think the Mk II wound up being the basis for developing the Nemo. or rather, the Nemo was its GM.

Edited by Keith

Ok - this makes sense I guess. It's just that for a supposedly out-dated model, the AEUG's MK II performs so much better against anything that the titans throw at them - so I wondered - if in actual combat the MK II outperforms all of the Titans latest MSes...then wouldn't they be wise to maybe build some more MK IIs themselves?

Then again - the real problem is with their pilots, not their MSes....I mean, AEUG have Char, Amuro and Kamile - all Newtypes, and two of whom are veterans of the OYW. The Titans just don't have anybody who can match them - Jarid being the prime example of a pilot who just never ever is effective - to the point where it's almost sad to watch him being ambitious...

Pete

There are a couple of reasons. first of all, the Mk II was a prototype not meant for actual combat. Its main purpose was to test the movable frame 360° cockpit. Second, therr were only 3 produced. The AEUG initilly stole 2, dismantlig one for research. Forgot what happened to the third but I think Kamilles father abandoned it so he could steal Quatro's Rick Dias. or perhaps it was taken out during the initial theft. Lastly, the Mk II was not top of the line. It wasn't much more than a suped up RX-78. The Titans already had new superior models like the Byalant, Ashimar, and just about anything Jerid pilofed post Hizack. Anneheim used it a bit in their Zeta project MS, but most of those also outperformed the Mk II.

If anything, I think the Mk II wound up being the basis for developing the Nemo. or rather, the Nemo was its GM.

IIRC, AEUG stole all three. Unit 3 was repainted into the white AEUG colors and used by Kamille until the Zeta Gundam is introduced, while unit 1 shipped off to Von Braun city to be dismantaled by AE. Unit 2 was damaged during the mission, and was retained by the crew of the Argama as spare parts to keep unit 3 going.

So, I'm now watching ZZ Gundam and I've got to say it's not at all "silly" or radically different from Zeta Gundam - except in a good way: namely the plot is slower moving, more focused on the characters, there seems to be less of a constant mecha battle feel... I like this...

Pete

So, I'm now watching ZZ Gundam and I've got to say it's not at all "silly" or radically different from Zeta Gundam - except in a good way: namely the plot is slower moving, more focused on the characters, there seems to be less of a constant mecha battle feel... I like this...

Pete

ZZ is actually great after the whole "I don't know how to close the cockpit" silliness ends.

• 4 weeks later...