There only ever seems to be one screen in the gundams...and if it was flattened and projected to the front only, I can't imagine it would be too difficult for a trained pilot to cope with it all.

confort < survivability + situational awareness

Not sure where I read this but there have been US studies showing that the average security chap looking at 9 different monitors kind of just dazes out after 30min (or some other rather short time) - as in he's just incapable of paying attention anymore even if he's awake...probably something to do with your brain having to monitor 9 different spaces..

Probably quite fatal in an MS esp if you aint a newtype!

There only ever seems to be one screen in the gundams...and if it was flattened and projected to the front only, I can't imagine it would be too difficult for a trained pilot to cope with it all.

confort < survivability + situational awareness

you mean, comfort = suvivability & situational awareness :)

Oh sure, a pilot could cope, but I would bet if you ask what they want, they'll ask for the full sphere display. Kinda like how today's fighter pilots ask for a bubble canopy.

Btw, most mobile suits had at least 180degree views (1 forward screen plus 1 on each side). If you watch the First Gundam movie, you'll notice 2 side panels move into place when Amuro starts up the Gundam.

Edited by Vifam7

Yeah i'm aware that the 1s generation MS pre-Zeta era had claustrophobic cockpits. So it seems Zeta has 360 view though I thought initially it didn't.

Someone mentioned that it was a convinient plot device for not drawing cockpits in the anime so it looked like they were outside the mecha. :lol:

Thanks to those who answered my question about ZZ in the now locked thread.

I'm starting to get a bit sick of pain in the arse kids who won't do as their told and seem to think multi million dollar mechs are toys to be used as they seem fit so I might give ZZ a miss and jump straight to Char's Counterattack.

Thanks to those who answered my question about ZZ in the now locked thread.

I'm starting to get a bit sick of pain in the arse kids who won't do as their told and seem to think multi million dollar mechs are toys to be used as they seem fit so I might give ZZ a miss and jump straight to Char's Counterattack.

*Recalls Quess*

Um, that problem doesn't go away in Char's Counterattack... in Gundam in general... ever.

At least Judau is a little more upbeat and level-headed and isn't as angsty as some of the other kids who pilot Gundams.

Edited by mikeszekely

[...]

The second half of ZZ is worth the watch IMO

Some pic request here, anyone got an image of Camille in a comic strip which show the beginning of Zeta (where he punched Jerid), loosing several girl (his mother, four, and other), finally slammed into Sirocco in waverrider before gone nuts. I've tried with google, but haven't found one yet.

Edit:

I found it, mod can delete this post.

The image I referring to is this:Zeta gundam for dummies

Edited by Morpheus

Some pic request here, anyone got an image of Camille in a comic strip which show the beginning of Zeta (where he punched Jerid), loosing several girl (his mother, four, and other), finally slammed into Sirocco in waverrider before gone nuts. I've tried with google, but haven't found one yet.

Edit:

I found it, mod can delete this post.

The image I referring to is this:Zeta gundam for dummies

Thanks! An oldie but a goodie.

• 3 months later...
Anybody know what thiis gundam seed club thing is. I found it on bandai's page.

Seems like they have extra scenes and other special features for pc and mobile phones.

https://club.sunrise-anime.jp/free/first.html

It's a set of comics made for SEED. Really funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_G...ED_Club_Yonkoma

I have to agree with most of the ppl on this thread that zeta is one of the best in the series. I want to see V gundam though... thats the only U.C series I havn't seen. I don't think I can stomach anymore gundam though.

Do I have to watch Z before I watch Char's Counterattack?

UC Gundams I have seen so far :

Gundam 0079 Movie trilogy

08th MS team

Stardust Memory

War in the Pocket

Nah chars counterattack can be watched on its own and you can still pretty much get the gist of the plot and what has happened as long as you know the basic history of char and a little bit about zeon and its ideologies.

I saw zeta beforehand and I have to say after watching the series in chronological order chars counterattacks really can stand on its own plot. It takes place about 4 years after zeta and in between that time the ZZ series doesnt really tell you what happened with char let alone focus on any plot realated to the movie at all...

I'm a little curious - why does everyone like V so much?

I didn't hate it, but I found it rather depressing and I got the impression that the production staff didn't really have their heart in it. However, this may be because of the order of shows I watched at the time - SEED, Destiny, then Turn-A, then V. It may be that my impressions of V have been coloured a bit by how refreshing I found Turn-A overall...

I didn't hate it, but I found it rather depressing and I got the impression that the production staff didn't really have their heart in it. However, this may be because of the order of shows I watched at the time - SEED, Destiny, then Turn-A, then V. It may be that my impressions of V have been coloured a bit by how refreshing I found Turn-A overall...

Of the few episodes I saw of V I get kinda the same feeling... I did hear though that the production of V gundam was made during a time of severe depression for tomino and that he was sick of making gundam shows at this point and wanted to move onto something else. It kinda makes sense since it seems to be reflected in the tone of the show and how many characters end up dead by the end of the series seems to be evidence of that.

By all accounts Tomino was not in one of his better moods at the time; its said that he was worried about Bandais takeover of Sunrise at the time (and given what we've had since then, maybe he was right!), and apparently he even appears on an extra of the V Gundam DVDs exhorting people not to watch the show! And its also well known that Turn-A seems to have been something of a cure for Tomino; indeed looking at the two shows and having seen them as closely together as I did, I sometimes have trouble believing the same person was responsible.

But, still - Graham likes V a lot it seems, and judging by some of the responses here so do other people. It can't just be down to the Zanscare Empires All-Womens Bikini Bazooka Team, can it? :)

Except Zeta does fill in the major technilogical advances between the first series & CCA, as well as the progression of Newtypes.

That and the hole Aueg vs Titans thing. If you skip zeta most don't even know the twist to char and amuro's rivalry/friendship

I'm one of those who didn't like Victory all that much. I thought it was really good until the story moved into space. Once the story moved into space, events seemed to go at a much faster pace (resulting in what I felt as a less impactful story). Dunno maybe I need to rewatch it. The last time I saw Victory was over 10 years ago...

Zeta didn't stand out too much for me, but probably because I already know the plot (read the old manga) before I watch the TV series in its entirety. Lost all the sense of surpises, and kind of felt like its hard to feel characters' motives or emotions at times, not in the way Amuro and Co. did it for me in the originals. But the mechs are very cool. CCA has similar feelings too in terms of the characters. Hard to see myself reacting similar ways given in their shoes. Either the characters feel very cold, then dramatically try killing someone for something very trivial. Think overall, I still like the original the best, but both animation & mecha designs are a bit outdated. I like 0080 too, and 08th Team is pretty good as side stories. While Zeta, 0083 & CCA kind of sits in the middle. Not my favorites, but there is something cool about each one.

Very interested in Unicorn, if it ever gets animated in the near future.

Edited by mpchi

I don't get all the Victory love-fest either. It's by no means a bad show, but it's fairly forgettable. Forgettable characters, forgettable conflicts, forgettable mecha. Universal Century Gundam really begins with first Gundam and ends with Char's Counterattack. They're the one's about the conflicts with Zeon. They're the ones that deal with Char and Amuro. F-91 and Victory may officially be set in the same timeline, but in both cases it boils down to Earth vs. some new Space group.

At the end of the day, Victory's probably worth a watch, as it's still better than just about everything Gundam-wise that came after (with the notable exception of Turn A). Just don't be expecting Zeta-level goodness.

Ive looked a bit for the original shows, but they dont seem all tha easy to come by, or cheap to come by. Bootlegs dont seem impossible, but Ive seen enough dodgy subs on Saint Seiya to last a lifetime. Id prefer dubs or at least good subs on the original and Zeta at the least

Go for the 3 movie box set on the original series, and Zeta is easily found subtitled.

As for what I liked about Victory, I really dug the dark tone of the series. What happened to the Strike Team just isn't done in most series, atleast not until Eva. It brought cast carnage to a level not seen again until Eva. The story in itself was solid, if not somewhat distant from the other U.C. shows, and I don't see how anyone couldn't love the V2.

Edited by Keith

What Keith said... :)

Also, I really like the 'Children Crusade' vibe from V: is there anything more tragic than having to send your own youth to the battlefield? The link with the matriarchal regimen of Zanscare appears obvious then: matriarchy being the reign of women and women being the picture of the mother, involving children in the story was a smart move because, this way, it avoided the more 'standard' Men vs Women plot, which wouldn't have brought anything new and would have been less emotional

The series is also full of thoughts about women which are not presented in the standard anime-cute/kawai way but instead are showed powerless against war (the Zanscare empress) or playing the role of men although it's not theirs (the Strike Team). On this point, the fight between Uso and Cronicle Asher, which occurs metaphorically in the hand of Katejina Loos, was very well done: if Asher very probably fought for a possible lover, Uso on the other hand fought for a friend... or a big sister (which is just another picture of the mother, the one Uso lost a few episodes back), but in any way, both of them were the toys of the lady, not because of their viril strength but because of their emotions for her

Last but not least, V works as a stand-alone compared to Z which remains rather hard to understand if you didn't see First before. The very final scene of the last episode is full of tears too...

Ive looked a bit for the original shows, but they dont seem all tha easy to come by, or cheap to come by. Bootlegs dont seem impossible, but Ive seen enough dodgy subs on Saint Seiya to last a lifetime. Id prefer dubs or at least good subs on the original and Zeta at the least

I have a bootleg of the original show, and the subs aren't dodgy, they're incomprehensible. A lot time ago I even posted screenshots of my favorite moments, which included "Fire the main gun tampon!", "You... poo..." and "Boobs are set on Gaodao!"

Z vs. V I can't even do it... Z was dark as hell at the beginning but then for quite a while it became kamille vs. jerid and GF #4 in mobile suit of the week for quite some time... then it would go back to the spectacular show it was at the beginning then after key events on earth the plot got crazy chaotic and there were too many bad guys and people dieing just to move the show along... then 99% of the cast dies and you're left like... :blink: what :blink: then ZZ comes along ... and starts off by killing a few more characters off for no reason aside from getting them out of the show then has 20 episodes of idiocy... so as much as ZZ isn't part of Z it definitly is... cause Z doesn't end at the last episode it leaves tons of plot points open that you HAVE to watch ZZ to see what happens.

As for V it suffers alot of then same problems with random mech of the week eps and as much as I loved em the shrike team was just their to have a loveable character die every episode till they were all gone. And the BS first or 5th episode really threw me off when I first watched it with shitty subs and some of the MS wtf :huh: giant dunbine bug like MS and moblie suits riding in giant wheels and using helicopter rotor things they held onto to fly... and like Z it had the choatic whats even happening last 3 eps :p not that you dont know whats going on theirs just SO MUCH going on and explosions everyone and people dieing and new type spirits flying around everywhere and everyone screaming that its just the typical end to a gundam series :p...

in the end I'm just rambling... both were very good shows both VERY dark both with very lovable or easily hated characters that both were definitly worth watching and picking up. I bought the first Z set here for only 29.99 canadian at best buy which covered the first 25 eps hope to find the second one that cheap soon too :p