Japanese Engrish

areaseven

This isn't Engrish as such, but I recently caught an internal flight in Japan with a friend. When using the toilet, I noticed it had a sign on it saying "Please do not flush foreign articles down the toilet".

As one of exactly two foreigners on a plane full of Japanese, I hadn't previously realised the danger we were in... :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

This isn't Engrish as such, but I recently caught an internal flight in Japan with a friend. When using the toilet, I noticed it had a sign on it saying "Please do not flush foreign articles down the toilet".

As one of exactly two foreigners on a plane full of Japanese, I hadn't previously realised the danger we were in... :)

Yeah. Over here, you often see signs inside the cubicles that state "ONLY TOILET PAPER MAY BE FLUSHED DOWN THESE TOILETS".

The inference being that number twos are forbidden, or that you have to take them away "pooper-scooper" style.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody know where I can find Engrish robot transformation instructions from either recent or old releases.

A friend of mine were laughing about some of the terrible translations/engrish on old boxes from the 70s and 80s. I've searched around but haven't found anything...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dag. I live in a foreign country too. But Poles are horrible sticklers for correct english because they are afraid of "embarrassing" themselves - so EVERY time there is SOMETHING written in english, the worst possible thing that can happen is someone will either put too many "the" in or leave "the" out (since there is no "the" in Polish).

So sadly - I do not see such wonderful things around.

But looking at these pictures, I can imagine that if I finally did make it to Japan/China/Southeast Asia - I'd probably be looked upon as a lunatic for walking down the street laughing uncontrolably :)

These are just TOO GOOD. This is great stuff.

Pete

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Watching a clip of Hanamaru Kindergarten (Why, I do not know...) and spotted this little gem. Now, Corn Flakes have been around forever so you'd figure they'd at least get it right. Or maybe they're just fans of Battlestar Galactica and just love the word they substituted.

hanamaru.jpg

Here's a few that I took in Tokyo last July:

post-939-1264357395_thumb.jpg

post-939-1264357435_thumb.jpg

post-939-1264357466_thumb.jpg

And this one isn't terribly Engrishy, but it is the theater where I saw Eva 1.0 in 2007, and (as you can see from the poster) Eva 2.0 last year.

And if I'd been in Tokyo a month or two ago, I would've seen Frontier there as well. <_<

post-939-1264357574_thumb.jpg

Octopus Army really isn't Engrish; it is an actual brand that died out in the Philippines back in the '90s.

Engrish comes from Asia, makes no sense, and is often funny.

The name "Octopus Army," comes from Asia, makes no sense, and is funny.

Ergo, "Octopus Army" is Engrish. :D

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...