Does this movie even deserve its own thread (let alone being made in the first place)?

371435[/snapback]

What he said.

371726[/snapback]

Hey, if Uwe Boll's movies have their own threads, why not this film?

371733[/snapback]

THis is just one movie while Boll is like an unstoppable plague on humanity. Maybe there should just be one Uber Uew Boll thread where we can consolidate all that's related to him in it. Possibly even a a thread strictly for the stupid "Hot Chicks with Super Powers/Swords/Guns Action Movie" genre. This film certainly falls in that category.

This movie looks like a cheap version of Aeon Flux. I didn't even bother seeing that when it came out. Although I admit, I'll rent both on DVD just out of curiousity. The benefits of home video!

372097[/snapback]

Well Aeon Flux seems like more of wannabe cool @$$ movie to me and is way to over rated.

Ultraviolet goes the opposite direction in story and setting which I like about the movie, it seems more reasonable to watch than Aeon Flux.

I would think that some perverted person would go see a movie like that, the story is just plain stupid wtf why cant someone on the set just burn the film when no ones looking.

Well...Im still going to see UltraViolet :p if Im plain out bored during the release.

Edited by Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Ultraviolet opens today. And so far, Rotten Tomatoes has yet to determine how rotten it is. However...

Ultraviolet (2006)

preview by Gareth J. Von Kallenbach, Skiewed and Reviewed

Ultraviolet to be kept in the dark from Critics.

According to a publicity source, UltraViolet, the new Sci Fi action film starring Mila Jovovich is going the way of Aeon Flux and will not be screened for critics. It was recently confirmed to me that the big budget film will not have a press showing despite numerous ads for the film running during such high profile shows as American Idol.

The film deals with a futuristic society at odds with genetically enhanced members and the war that results between the various factions.

Based on recent trends such as "Date Movie" and "When a Stranger Calls" opening to good numbers despite not screening for critics, one has to wonder if the new trend in hollywood will be to keep many teen comedies, horror films, and certain action films from the critics in order to boost the box office, as recent events have shown that filsm can find an audience when not screened for the press which had largely been box office death.

Edited by areaseven

Yeah, only cause its the guy who did Equilibrium will I see it.  I really liked the dramatic plotline and I remember in the commentary that Wimmer wanted the poster to be Bale holding the Prozium pill and not the WOW MATRIX COOL! one that they ended up with.  Trailers always put the whiz!bang! action stuff and leave out the plots, so I'm hopin it'll be story-driven action and not just lookie-at-cool-cgi! *crosses fingers*

371776[/snapback]

I'm with you on that, when i first saw the Equilibrium trailer, it was right around the Matirx hype, so it gave you the feeling that it was just a Matrix rip off. Then when I actually watched the movie, it was the complete opposite; completely story driven, with great character depth. i'm hoping that the Ultraviolet commercials are misleading in similar fashion to the Equilibrium commercials.

misunderstod classic piece of crap!

this is not really a spoiler but you can stop reading here if for some reason you think this will ruin the movie for you:

the funniest part (which was many) was in the beginning when she was given all kinds of tests to make sure she wasn't a "hemophage". They stuck needles in her eye, arms and many different parts of her body, except for the one place you want to see something stuck in her. So she passes the numerous tests, scans, blood test, freaking mammogram, etc... and then she was discovered to be in fact a .... hemophage. yes!

So the leader asks "how did she get thru?" and one of the guards says, "she must have a gene suppressor!"

Uhm... OK... so they knew about this gene suppressor drug and it's the one thing they didn't check for?

And there's so much more moments like that... like every other 5 minutes.

This movie is probably the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Almost as funny as 40 Year Old Virgin. The sad thing is it was suppose to be serious.

I think it would be fun if we just wrote down every silly part of this movie... it actually makes the experience more enjoyable if we did that.

Remember the scene where the alarm goes off and the main bad guy was shown climbing down the stairs? Oh man, that scene was priceless.

Edited by >EXO<

Yuck!!

At Wondercon in San Francisco last month they were giving out free posters to this movie. It was a LARGE sized, color glossy poster and it looked sweet!

It made me REALLY want to see this movie.

This movie sucked!

Only the poster looks good!

Damn!

I was somewhat interested in viewing this film, but I must say the response is so universally hateful I am terrified to spend any money to see this movie. Perhaps if I can obtain some more free passes soon I'll watch this film, but even the diehard fanboys that masturbate to repeated viewings of Battlefield Earth are screaming bloody murder over Ultraviolet.

Something's gotta be wrong with that :)

Edited by Mr March

I just saw it... wow... it was bad. And like bad movies.. I liked underworld2, I liked transporter 2, hell, I even liked star wars episode 3, but this was a giant stinker.

376971[/snapback]

Well unlike UV, oh god, Underworld2 actually made money. ;)

• 4 months later...

OK, finally saw this movie on DVD last week. Had to wait for the DVD, as it didn't receive a theatrical release here in Hong Kong.

I'm a big fan of director Kurt Wimmer's previous film 'Equilibrium' and was looking forward to seeing Ultraviolet, but boy, as much as I hate to say it, it was a real stinker. I haven't seen a movie this bad in a long time.

While there were a few nice ideas for weapons tech, the movie was let down by the increadibly bad CG and lousy choreography on the fight scenes.

Haven't seen Underworld 2 or Aeon Flux yet either, but I think I'll just play it safe and avoid them.

Graham

Well, I finally had the chance to see this film for free. My friend purchased the DVD of Ultraviolet never having watched it. We watched it a couple days ago and my god was it terrible. Milla Jovovich looked amazing in this film, but everything else from the story, to the acting, to the special effects was bad, worse, and atrocious. Avoid this one at all costs. Don't spend a dime.

OK, finally saw this movie on DVD last week. Had to wait for the DVD, as it didn't receive a theatrical release here in Hong Kong.

I'm a big fan of director Kurt Wimmer's previous film  'Equilibrium' and was looking forward to seeing Ultraviolet, but boy, as much as I hate to say it, it was a real stinker. I haven't seen a movie this bad in a long time.

While there were a few nice ideas for weapons tech, the movie was let down by the increadibly bad CG and lousy choreography on the fight scenes.

Haven't seen Underworld 2 or Aeon Flux yet either, but I think I'll just play it safe and avoid them.

Graham

414638[/snapback]

The FX was awful because the movie was made on a shoestring budget and they used some no-name Chinese FX facility for the VFX (most of the film was shot on location in Shanghai), thus all the pre-viz, near Tron-quality CGI you see in the film. Hell, even TV sci-fi has better FX then this.

To add insult to injury, the movie was taken out of Wimmer's hands and edited by the studio for theatrical release. Even the 'extended unrated edition' that went out on DVD was not the director's cut and missing a lot of footage. You'll notice the DVD doesn't even have his participation in the form of a commentary track, only some making-of footage taken during the film's production.

The only reason to see this movie is Milla Jojovich... she has never looked better on film and turning off the audio track and turn on your own MP3 jukebox will make the film infinitely more watchable.

Excuses excuses. That movie was still a stinker. The basic concept was totally vapid and stupid, none of the acting is any good, the plot is garbage, and the action scenes are just not very impressive. You can't polish a turd, as the saying goes.

I really, REALLY do not want to see an extended version of this movie. It was already too damn long.

Edited by Ginrai

• 2 years later...