1/48 Gbp-1s Detail Review

Hayao Kakizaki

I'd almost recommend people take the chest piece apart (screwdriver required) and put the missiles in with the chest piece disassembled.  It was that delicate!

After reading about the few mishaps with this part, that's exactly what I did. It's a quick and easy way to avoid doing any damage. One thing that really pisses me off is when I break a brand-new toy, so I wasn't taking any chances.

Just got mine from Kevin at VEX (pre-ordered before he decided to close shop... my first, and last :( purchase from him I'm sad to say; his service will be sorely missed). After opening the extremely well packed box I'm faced with the 1/48 sized box (major overkill, but what the heck) I see all these wonderful bits; this thing is hella impressive, absolutely gorgeous in all it's attention to detail.

In keeping with the warnings posted here about the fragility of the chest missile rack lever I decided to take the thing apart to brace the pallets from behind as to avoid any mishaps; that's, by far, the safest way to insert the chest missiles. The ability to easily disassemble the chest ameliorates, somewhat, the poor choice of material and fragile design of the lever bar, but this part should have been die cast, or at least been designed to be more robust and with large (1.5mm +) fillets where the arms join the body of the piece to reduce stress fatigue and failure. However, this should be an easy part to repair, and as previously mentioned the addition of a metal pin will make this part supper strong.

I'm so glad I got this thing that if the rumors of a Low Vis. version proves correct I'll definitely be picking that up too. :)

Edited by mechaninac

i just received one today and your're right this thing is huge and really heavy.

I would have preferred a smaller box and a sturdier one for the 1/48 Valks.

Man this thing is awesome :D

edit : haven't opened it yet but i will tomorrow it supposed to snow all afternoon so i'll locked be locked in at home with my new GBP set.

Edited by Macross73

ALL FIXED!  :D

Okay, first, a close-up of the damage.  Here's the chest piece all disassembled (very easy to do).  As you can see, I broke the left side (valk's left).  I have removed the missile panel from the left side while I glue the "bar" back together.  But you can see on the undamaged right side how the bar pushes the back of the missile-endowed panel.

A red arrow marks the fracture point.  This image is post-glue,  However.  So, all that's left to see of the damage is the white line where it broke into two pieces.

If I had to mount the missiles again, I'd seriously consider just taking it apart like this and applying supporting pressure to the back of the missile panels while I pushed the missiles into the panel.

broken-gbp-bar.jpg

Awaiting the results of the operation. . .

awaiting-results.jpg

BACK IN ACTION!  And not a moment too soon as a Meltrandi cat appears to be about to cause trouble!  Eyes that glow like that can only mean evil. . .

nick-of-time.jpg

Seriously though. . . some super glue seems to do the trick in this case.  It's not like the  infamous BP8 where is needs to endure a lot of stress.  Once the missiles are in, it barely gets any force applied to it.

Best,

H

368041[/snapback]

More like he wants to play with a new friend his size :lol:

Well, I finally got around to putting one of my GBPs onto a valk today and noticed a QC problem. The inside of the right leg armor is missing some material near the top; I assume from not having enough plastic in the mold. It's pretty minor and I didn't even notice it when I initially put it on, but it does look a little funky. I checked my other one in the box and it's fine, so hopefully this isn't a major problem in their production line. Anyway, this slight blemish doesn't detract from the overall coolness of this kick-ass addition to the 1/48 line. I guess I'll just consider it "battle damage" and leave it at that.

post-2290-1139703117_thumb.jpg

Got my GBP-1 a couple of weeks ago. I watched DYRL with my son to show him the brief 1.5 seconds the GBP-1 VF-1J appears in the film. He found it quite neat to see dad's new toy on TV shooting all those little missles.

I noticed that the tips of the missles are yellow in the movie. The tips are red on the toy. Is this a mistake?, or are the missle tips red in the TV series?

I know youre all tired seeing all the GBP pics that have been posted before...but here's mine after being decal-ed

ty.jpg

fg.jpg

gh.jpg

as.jpg

jk.jpg

kl.jpg

aaajin

369371[/snapback]

HOT DIGGITY DAWGG with ice cream.

I was not going to put the stickers on my GMP, but oh sweet sweetness of all that is sweet.

That looks...propitious...for lack of a better word.

Ah, alas the armor is detailed to hell anyways. I wonder if version 2 has a metal chest brace rather than plastic?(the part that broke in the chest that some members suffered breakage with).

The other reasoning I think could be that retailers sold out of the GPS-1 sold out very fast and this is simply just another run. Or perhaps its just the low viz that matt alt spoke of.

I'm hoping to have more info and have clearance to release that info by tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Graham

370445[/snapback]

Staying tuned,...

HLJ states they wil have a februari restock. I wonder if that wil be the rerelease.

I missed out on the first productionrun, so I'll be getting it when it becomes available again. I was never particulary fond of the looks of the GBP, but after seeing the pics in this thread I'm sold! To bad my brand new VF-1J wil be almost completly hidden within the armor.

Ho well, to bad, I'll just need to get another one of those. :D

*ponders on how to break the news to GF*

If Yamato keeps comming with cool stuf like the GBP/new low vis/stealth I'll never get around to buying a VF-1S Roy. damnit :(

Hey guys, i notice both the armour pieces that go on the air intakes of the valk have holes on the inner side. They don't seem to serve a purpose and i'm wondering if they are QC problems or everyone has it?