1/48 Gbp-1s Detail Review

Hayao Kakizaki

I just get mine yesterday, along with my 1j to go with it. It's soooo cool. One question tho': I've noticed stress marks in one of the butterfly door's hinge straight from the box. Anybody else noticed this or should I blame the mexican customs?

Anyway I just placed the chest missiles as recommended on this tread: very carefully, in angle and rotating the piece. No problem at all. The holes for the missiles are tighter than those in the legs, hence the trouble.

I need some advice about the number of missiles and their packaging guys :

- just how many bags of missiles must contains the box ?

- how many missiles per type ?

I am asking cause i do not plan to open the bag with the instructions sheet (yeah i want to keep it "clean" ) which must probably contains the infos and i feel like the GBP set i get from hlj has been opened and repackaged :angry:

- just how many bags of missiles must contains the box  ?

I am asking cause i do not plan to open the bag with the instructions sheet (yeah i want to keep it "clean" ) which must probably contains the infos and i feel like the GBP set i get from hlj has been opened and repackaged  :angry:

365532[/snapback]

Two bags of missiles.

According to the box.

38 larger missiles (for the chest and leg silos)

68 smaller missiles (for the shoulder and leg silos)

In the end I had two left over (one larger and smaller).

I am asking cause i do not plan to open the bag with the instructions sheet (yeah i want to keep it "clean" ) which must probably contains the infos and i feel like the GBP set i get from hlj has been opened and repackaged  :angry:

365532[/snapback]

Two bags of missiles.

According to the box.

365541[/snapback]

huh? :huh: i bought 3 GBPs and all of them had this exact amount.

24 large in legs, 12 in each leg

10 large in chest , 5 on each side

22 small for the shoulders, 11 on each side

56 total + 4 extras, 2 of each small and large.

60 grand total

365532[/snapback]

Two bags of missiles.

According to the box.

365541[/snapback]

huh? :huh: i bought 3 GBPs and all of them had this exact amount.

24 large in legs, 12 in each leg

10 large in chest , 5 on each side

22 small for the shoulders, 11 on each side

56 total + 4 extras, 2 of each small and large.

60 grand total

365543[/snapback]

Oh....never mind. I just took a quick glance at the back of the GBP box and saw two numbers. I thought those were the numbers of missiles supplied. Oh well. :blink:

GH-32 Grenade Crusherx56

GA-100 Crusherx6

H-22T Hand Grenadex6

:p

Edited by UN Spacy

Same here - two extra smalls and two extra large.

Wow! what a toy! Can't wait to do an oil wash and dry brush treatment on this baby... but need Anasazi's decals!

I got two extras of each as well. And Kensai, I got mine into a grenade lobbing pose, so nyah! If you pose the open hand right, you can sit the grenade mostly flat so that it catches on one of the two last fingers and isn't actually gripped but sits steadily enough and looks great. I white glued 5 of the grenades in place because I hate how they mount and they are very loose, but one I left free so that it can be used for poses :D

One thing though, has anyone else noticed that the bottom crotch-plate (the one that can be either large or small) is incredibly loose? At least whem trying to pose the legs, it must force the crotch armor just right to flex and drop the bottom plate, but I find that I am always flipping the whole valk over to fix that plate...

Edited by promethuem5

Yes, my bottom plate that covers the nosecone section of the valk under the waist is extremely loose too! a little annoying, may slip a bit of paper in there to tighten it up a bit.

Unsure if this is the right place, but a new gallery is up HERE (although delayed)....just thought this config was funny:

VF-1J_A-15.JPG

366957[/snapback]

Those are some very well done pictures on that website. The GBP Gerwalk is funny, but I love the shots of all the different poses and accessories/armor configurations on display. Nice to see a flattering pictorial of the Yamato 1/48.

Okay, got mine. It's awesome!

But, am I the first person to actually break the little plastic bar in the chestplate that pushes the missiles out? I even read the warnings here but I still wasn't careful enough. I was just thinking: "Okay, they said be careful. . . but Yamato wouldn't have made it that delicate. . . (SNAP!)"

I'm thinking a little super glue can fix it. There's not a lot of stress put on it once the missiles are actually in there. It might hold. But it's not a big deal if I have to tug the missile rack out by hand either.

I'd almost recommend people take the chest piece apart (screwdriver required) and put the missiles in with the chest piece disassembled. It was that delicate!

Or, of course, maybe my clumsy gaijin hands were just not gentle enough. :lol:

Oh boy. I haven't got mine but feel scared already......... i still have no idea which bar you guys talk abouit though....but i'm sure i'll know once i see it.

Edited by wolfx

ALL FIXED! :D

Okay, first, a close-up of the damage. Here's the chest piece all disassembled (very easy to do). As you can see, I broke the left side (valk's left). I have removed the missile panel from the left side while I glue the "bar" back together. But you can see on the undamaged right side how the bar pushes the back of the missile-endowed panel.

A red arrow marks the fracture point. This image is post-glue, However. So, all that's left to see of the damage is the white line where it broke into two pieces.

If I had to mount the missiles again, I'd seriously consider just taking it apart like this and applying supporting pressure to the back of the missile panels while I pushed the missiles into the panel.

broken-gbp-bar.jpg

Awaiting the results of the operation. . .

awaiting-results.jpg

BACK IN ACTION! And not a moment too soon as a Meltrandi cat appears to be about to cause trouble! Eyes that glow like that can only mean evil. . .

nick-of-time.jpg

Seriously though. . . some super glue seems to do the trick in this case. It's not like the infamous BP8 where is needs to endure a lot of stress. Once the missiles are in, it barely gets any force applied to it.

Best,

H

Edited by Hurin

Probably ya should post this in the Repair forum too.

368042[/snapback]

Done and done!

Here's the write up from that thread since it's a bit more serious and detailed than the one above:

Howdy All,

There has been a lot of people mentioning how delicate the "bar" piece is inside the chest-piece of the 1/48 GBP-1S armor set.

Basically, as the two red missile-covers butterfly out, they pull on a bar inside the chest piece that then pushes the two chest missile panels out so that they aren't as recessed.  It's not exactly perfect and you sometimes need to wiggles things to get the panels to protrude as much as they should.

Anyways, while pushing the missiles into the two "missile panels" in the chest, the only thing supporting the panels is that platic bar.  And, well, those missles can be pretty hard to get into their holes.  So, some people (including me) have been getting impatient and pushing too hard, thus snapping that little plastic bar!

The good news is that, unlike the infamous BP8 backpack joint, this is a part that appears to glue pretty well.  Once the missiles are actually in the panels, there shouldn't be a need to apply excessive amounts of pressure to the glued piece again.  It just gently nudges those hinged missile panels forward.

broken-gbp-bar.jpg

Here's the chest piece all disassembled (which is very easy to do.  Just four screws and it pulls apart).  Note that I have removed the missile panel from the left side (valkyrie's left).  The missile panel on the rigth is still there (the white dots are the butt end of the missles poking through the panel) and you can see where the bar presses up against it which will cause them to shift forward when the bar is tugged on by the red doors (not visible).  The red arrow marks where the bar had broken.  There is now just a white fracture line where I glued it.

I just used "super glue" that I ran down and got at the 24-hour pharmacy.  It took about ten minutes to repair.  And after only five minutes of curing, I was able to open the chest plate doors and the missiles slid forward as they're supposed to do.

All in all, it's a poor design, but not a total show-stopper since it's easily glued and even if it weren't possible to do so, you could always just pull the panel forward by hand.

Hurin, that's the exact same problem I had. I've handled my fair share of valks and I've never had anything snap as easily as that little tiny piece of crap plastic.

I didn't even bother to fix it. I disassembled the chest armor to take out the broken piece of plastic that was rattling around inside there. I put it back together, inserted the missiles and threw the piece of plastic away. Now, when i want to display the chest missiles, I just gently pull them outwards when I open the compartment.

Thanks for the pics, H.

Woops, I knew I had read some detailed info about this part breaking before. The old thread has rolled off the first pages. . . but it's here along with some good images. Looks like I wasn't the first (to break it or take pictures). I probably won't be the last! ;)

H

Hurin, that's the exact same problem I had.  I've handled my fair share of valks and I've never had anything snap as easily as that little tiny piece of crap plastic. 

I didn't even bother to fix it.  I disassembled the chest armor to take out the broken piece of plastic that was rattling around inside there.  I put it back together, inserted the missiles and threw the piece of plastic away.  Now, when i want to display the chest missiles, I just gently pull them outwards when I open the compartment.

Thanks for the pics, H.

368104[/snapback]

Same for me. Accidentally snapped the left side, just shook the piece out and left it. Works just fine to position the missiles by hand that little bit when displaying with the chest doors open.

I'm seriously considering buying another -1J and GBP set after receiving mine last week. This thing is just too damn cool.

Posted by: MattAlt (Moderator)

Date: February 9, 2006 01:51AM

Who didn't see this one coming?

According to scuttlebutt on 2ch, a second version of the 1:48 armor is coming out shortly. Rumor has it that version 2 will come in different color schemes: one in "low visibility" colors, another in "stealth" (presumably to match the upcoming re-release of the low-viz and the release of the all-black 1:48s.) Wonder if they'll fix the #@!#$$ weak-ass chest missile holders, too?

from toyboxdx