Anime Featuring Fleet Battles

Morpheus

In the past month I have watched Legend of Galactic Heroes, Crest of the Star and its sequel and Nadesico. Both featuring large scale naval battles and I'm looking for more.

Now I'm making a list on anime which featuring large scale fleet battles.

These are my list, feel free to add.

1. Macross

2. Macross II

3. Macross 7

4. Legend of Galactic Heroes

5. Crest of the Star series (including Banner)

6. Nadesico (TV series and Movie)

7. Vandread

8. Mospeada

9. Southern Cross

10. Space battleship Yamato

11. Exo Squad (not anime in general, but still rocks)

;)

In the past month I have watched Legend of Galactic Heroes, Crest of the Star and its sequel and Nadesico. Both featuring large scale naval battles and I'm looking for more.

Now I'm making a list on anime which featuring large scale fleet battles.

These are my list, feel free to add.

9. Southern Cross

352576[/snapback]

Now I will be the first to admit that Southern Cross is so awesome I want to crap my pants... However, the aliens only had one ship, and the humans had like 2 satelites... Thats hardly Fleet to Fleet combat.

Now I will be the first to admit that Southern Cross is so awesome I want to crap my pants... However, the aliens only had one ship, and the humans had like 2 satelites... Thats hardly Fleet to Fleet combat.

Towards the end I think they had some frantic space battles featuring helicopters and tanks. I remember at least one instance of a cruiser being used as a battering ram to destroy one of the Zor's big ships.

Towards the end I think they had some frantic space battles featuring helicopters and tanks. I remember at least one instance of a cruiser being used as a battering ram to destroy one of the Zor's big ships.

352603[/snapback]

Oh yeah Helicopters in space, how could I forget that bit of total coolness. It just goes to show that Southern Cross is just the greatest thing ever.

Hikaru proved that the bicycle in space is a surefire way to get shot down quick.  Now... if it were a motorcyle... you might be on to something.  Wait, wasn't that in a Matthew Sweet video?

352632[/snapback]

No way man....the motorcycle has an internal combustion engine. Hows it going to run in a vacuum? :lol:

I've said this before, but OVA #0 of Yamato 2520 (if you can find it, its so obscure) had 10 minutes of the most glorious fleet combat on a massive scale. Picture massive volleys of the "wave motion cannon" from entire fleets and you get the picture. The guy that did the action direction (I think it was Noburo Ishiguro?) also handled the same for Yamato 2520, so you know its good.

I've said this before, but OVA #0 of Yamato 2520 (if you can find it, its so obscure) had 10 minutes of the most glorious fleet combat on a massive scale.  Picture massive volleys of the "wave motion cannon" from entire fleets and you get the picture.  The guy that did the action direction (I think it was Noburo Ishiguro?) also handled the same for Yamato 2520, so you know its good.

352641[/snapback]

I agree 100% for the few minutes that fleet battle lasted it was some of the most exciting stuff I've ever seen.

For anyone that hasn't seen it please do.

Gundam 0083

Gundam Char's Counter Attack

352577[/snapback]

I think all the Gundam series have naval battles. :lol:

I remember an anime series which featuring statue like ship involved in a space battles, I think the title is Maps or something :huh:

Gundam 0083

352577[/snapback]

I remember an anime series which featuring statue like ship involved in a space battles, I think the title is Maps or something :huh:

352814[/snapback]

Just wondering, could the battles in Gundam 0083 be considered a battles? :blink:

Did'nt Gato make the naval review at Konpiteh (check spelling) glow in the dark with an Mk-82 nuclear warhead? :ph34r: and then at the climactic part of this show did'nt the same Mr. Gato just murder the Federation fleet with the Neue Ziel? :unsure: This two battles look more like massacres than ship vs. ship a.ka. fleet battles? :huh:

I've always seen the fleet battles from Space Cruiser Yamato the most interesting. I guess it's because of Leiji Matsumoto's heavy influence, I love this futuristic use of Carriers, Battleships, Torpedo Planes, and Heavy Bombers in the Yamato universe.

Gundam 0083

352577[/snapback]

352814[/snapback]

Maps is right. ADV had the license to it at one time, but I think they've dropped it.

I've always seen the fleet battles from Space Cruiser Yamato the most interesting. I guess it's because of Leiji Matsumoto's heavy influence, I love this futuristic use of Carriers, Battleships, Torpedo Planes, and Heavy Bombers in the Yamato universe.

352840[/snapback]

The problem though is that most of the Yamato based space battles were too one sided. Bad guys show up, wipes out gallant earth defense forces.... Yamato arrives with their black tiger fighter squadron and proceed to wipe out the enemy.

There are may be two exceptions to this rule.

Series 2, there was one battle not involving Yamato that EDF won, of course, the comet killed the EDF soon there after.

Final Yamato had a battle with Yamato centered task force that fought essentially an anti carrier battle.

One theme that is very recurring and very funny is the fact that Yamato series always concentrated on the bad guys having carrier centered task groups cowardly attacking the proud battleship Yamato with their little insect of fighters and bombers. Then Yamato always triumphs over those cowardly user of attrition units. (The theme here seem to be Yamato/Japan is finally having its revenge against the evil carriers/US 5th or 3rd fleet) Funny considering historically, the Japanese were the pioneer of carrier warfare and were the masters before the Americans knocked them off the top of the hill.

Never even thought of that until I started reading history and looking carefully at the Yamato series as a whole.

Gamilon: destroyers, poor battle ships, main threat: carriers

Comet empire: carrier centric

Black Nebula: carrier centric, some battle ships

Bolar: not carrier centric, but their enemies Galmons were

The last bad guys: carrier centered ships

A good, albeit short gundam fleet battle (actual fleet battle) is in the first episode of MS IgLoo - it's somewhat obscure, and has only been fansubbed so far, but it shows the first real battle where mobile suits are used.

Oh, and as a bonus, it's in CG :)

Gundam 0083

352577[/snapback]

352814[/snapback]

Just wondering, could the battles in Gundam 0083 be considered a battles? :blink:

Did'nt Gato make the naval review at Konpiteh (check spelling) glow in the dark with an Mk-82 nuclear warhead? :ph34r: and then at the climactic part of this show did'nt the same Mr. Gato just murder the Federation fleet with the Neue Ziel? :unsure: This two battles look more like massacres than ship vs. ship a.ka. fleet battles? :huh:

352835[/snapback]

One of the things I've always loved about Macross was the depiction of space combat between capital ships. So much of it was actually far beyond visual range, with distances sometimes measured in light seconds (300,000 km). When you get to a point in science fiction where the high-energy weapons of capital space ships are firing at light or near-light speeds, it makes no sense to actually see your enemy when you fire upon him - special circumstances not withstanding.

Macross created dramatically and visually interesting space battles outside visual ranges with the scenes remaining coherent. So many directors don't even try to do this, simply opting to show both friend and foe within line-of-sight because they can't imagine how to create compelling and coherent combat drama any other way.

How I could forgot this one: Rai Thunderjet, I'm reading the manga now and I believe I have seen the anime of it.

Fleet battles in Rai thunderjet is very interesting, a submarine type ship, carrier, armored battleship, catamaran style dreadnought :) . A ship 'sink' to the bottom (???) when they got hit, they even have waving banner in the ships :lol:

Starship Operators also had some interesting ship-to-ship fighting, That series, too, used beyond visual range fighting. I don't know if you count 2 vs 3 as a fleet battle, though.

352919[/snapback]

Infinite Ryvius......but mostly 1 on 1 though. But cool nonetheless.

One of the things I've always loved about Macross was the depiction of space combat between capital ships.  So much of it was actually far beyond visual range, with distances sometimes measured in light seconds (300,000 km).  When you get to a point in science fiction where the high-energy weapons of capital space ships are firing at light or near-light speeds, it makes no sense to actually see your enemy when you fire upon him - special circumstances not withstanding.

Macross created dramatically and visually interesting space battles outside visual ranges with the scenes remaining coherent.  So many directors don't even try to do this, simply opting to show both friend and foe within line-of-sight because they can't imagine how to create compelling and coherent combat drama any other way.

352875[/snapback]

Very very true. A lot of these space battles I don't really like since they just consist of two battleships approaching to point blank distance and firing away. Its stupid, its like watching Revolutionary War tactics where the armies would line up face to face and just shoot and reload and shoot again. There's no talk or execution of fleet configuration, manuevering, etc.

I like it when there is some element of tactics involved like in LOGH, Macross, Yamato 2520, original Yamato, which all incidentally had Ishiguro involved.

*snip*

Very very true.  A lot of these space battles I don't really like since they just consist of two battleships approaching to point blank distance and firing away.  Its stupid, its like watching Revolutionary War tactics where the armies would line up face to face and just shoot and reload and shoot again.  There's no talk or execution of fleet configuration, manuevering, etc.

I like it when there is some element of tactics involved like in LOGH, Macross, Yamato 2520, original Yamato, which all incidentally had Ishiguro involved.

352942[/snapback]

Aaahhh, a very interesting bit of anime trivia I did not know. These anime series no doubt benefitted from his influence.

I like a tumultuous close range brawl as well, but like you said, so many such close range engagements are static affairs, ridiculously simplified to the point of being asinine. Revolutionary War (there's a nice misnomer) is a very appropriate analogy for some of these space battles in science fiction. Damn, I gotta make an epic space film with some great battles in it :)