The Macross SDF1

Less than Super Ostrich

This kit is the Yellow Submarine resin kit of the Macross SDF1 in cruiser mode. Actually it is a recast of that kit by G-System. There were no decals and the kit needed a ton of clean up. I also had to pin lots of the parts because the weight of the kit was too much on several of the joints. I weathered it heavily with pastels and oil washes. I wanted to make sure it looked like it fell to earth. The engine bell area was done with Alclads burnt metal and exhaust. The rest was done with Tamiya acrylics. I used a small Aztec-ing affect to give the open spots some character. I'm particularly pleased with the ARMD Space Carriers. By the way... this is my second resin kit ever... I'm pretty pleased. I finished this for the Armorama.com Capital Cruiser Campaign... it was a good excuse to finish this puppy up. Please let me know what you think.

Armorama Capital Cruiser Campaign Submission

Macross_SDF1_-_profile.JPG

Macross_SDF1_-_engine.JPG

Macross_SDF1_-_carrier.JPG

Macross_SDF1_-_bottom.JPG

That looks great LTSO!

The finish is really reminiscent of a real WWII naval battleship.

I really have to get that kit sometime. (after the 1/72 Monster and several other items though :p ) Can you give a quick impression of the kit?

I really have to get that kit sometime. (after the 1/72 Monster and several other items though :p ) Can you give a quick impression of the kit?

327936[/snapback]

The kit itself is ok. A couple parts were a little warped, but that has more to do with the G-System casters, which are usually pretty good. No flash on the kit. Small bits were a little brittle, but generally ok. The engine bells were not the same thickness, which bothered me a bit. The kit goes together easy enough, but you have to pin the legs and the arms. I did this with some brass rod. This was a little difficult for me since it was my first time pinning a kit. The stand is too weak for the weight of the kit. I think in hot weather it will bow. I drilled two holes with two pins in the stand and then two holes in the bottom of the kit, so the stand would stay tight. I should've made a new stand, but I wanted to get this kit done. The ARMD's were generally pretty easy, but you can accidentally fill in some of the deck detail if you sand/putty too much. Overall, a good kit... I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.

327936[/snapback]

The kit itself is ok. A couple parts were a little warped, but that has more to do with the G-System casters, which are usually pretty good. No flash on the kit. Small bits were a little brittle, but generally ok. The engine bells were not the same thickness, which bothered me a bit. The kit goes together easy enough, but you have to pin the legs and the arms. I did this with some brass rod. This was a little difficult for me since it was my first time pinning a kit. The stand is too weak for the weight of the kit. I think in hot weather it will bow. I drilled two holes with two pins in the stand and then two holes in the bottom of the kit, so the stand would stay tight. I should've made a new stand, but I wanted to get this kit done. The ARMD's were generally pretty easy, but you can accidentally fill in some of the deck detail if you sand/putty too much. Overall, a good kit... I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.

327942[/snapback]

The model Looks great, its amazing how simple techniques can make the model look a whole lot better, i like the deck detail, looks great. Maybe one of these days ill complete mine.

nice. I was gonna make a custom 1/3000 bandai zen sdf-1 but now I mike have to make a different custom. Guess I can always make both now that I have a boxed one...

328600[/snapback]

grayson, is kanata talking toy stuff again?

328838[/snapback]

I think he is, I'll grab the pitchforks and you grab the torches, we'll incite the villagers together :lol:

nice. I was gonna make a custom 1/3000 bandai zen sdf-1 but now I mike have to make a different custom. Guess I can always make both now that I have a boxed one...

328600[/snapback]

grayson, is kanata talking toy stuff again?

328838[/snapback]

I think he is, I'll grab the pitchforks and you grab the torches, we'll incite the villagers together :lol:

328877[/snapback]

actually I was talking about both :rolleyes: . For my zen custom I have a quamzin ship and a zjentohi auedy 1/20000 scale models I plan on using for the arms. Scale wise they are off but appearence wise the are perfect. What can I say... I like the detail of models and the structural stability of some toys... merging the two just seems to make sense to me. :unsure: .

you know.... I could use a pitchfork...

Edited by kanata67

What can I say... I like the detail of models and the structural stability of some toys... merging the two just seems to make sense to me. :unsure: .

329901[/snapback]

Now if only you could apply logic like that to Women and Macross collections

Edited by big F

• 4 weeks later...