Watching anime is immature?

grss1982

Just watched macross zero again, but unlike the other times I've watched my older friends (around 10 to 15 years my senior) nagged me this time for wathching macross and anime in general at. :angry:

According to them watching anime or what they think are "cartoons" is for kids not for grownups like me (early 20's). :rolleyes:

Have you guys and gals encountered this kind of comment from someone? :unsure:

Yup. Friends of mine who don't understand anime thinks it's just a cartoon like any others. I've given up trying to explain my view on anime on them.

These days, if I hear someone mention that it's childish or anything like that, I just smile & say "whatever."

thankfully all my friends are anime fans so they say nothing, :) by the way anim3vboi you are not suppossed to have banners or pictures in your signatures, you should remove it before the mods see it. i do not think they take kind to those on this site.

chris

I should add that I'm 26, and watch anime once a week with a large group of friends of ages between 19 and 28. I've met people much older just as into anime and animation in general. Of course, I went to art school specifically for animation, were my instructors all immature for appreciating animation?

*snip*

were my instructors all immature for appreciating animation?

325374[/snapback]

Of course! Everyone knows animation is made by 12-year olds. It gets marketed by a group of preteens in shark suits sitting around a big coloring table. All the corporations that create, manufacture, and distribute anime are filled with children under 10. It's a well known fact the entire multi-billion dollar world of animation globally hasn't a single adult working in the industry. :p

:lol:  I get the same kinda crap for liking anime... but I also get crap for collecting figures, and painting miniatures and models, so I guess I'm just a big crapmagnet anyways. :lol:

325381[/snapback]

:lol::lol:

Brilliant!!! This post made my day.

All the fracking time and I continue to ignore these people who share so openly their unsolicited comments. <_< Anime is not accepted anymoreso than comics into the mainstream culture as mature entertainment. I honestly doubt it ever will, people and society in general is too quick to judge. If I based my actions on the approval of others then I never would've studied film and majored in animation. *tsk shame shame cried onlookers* :rolleyes:

But if you enjoy anime, then shouldn't that be enough? Few of us watch for others approval and enjoyment, so why enable the comments of others to ruin something that is a relatively harmless hobby. I am assuming you watch and purchase anime and the memorabilia in moderation and within your budget. Bottomline, it is your time and money, spend it however you see fit and screw the noise those well intentioned fools make. :)

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I say f*&K em! The reason I like anime is because even with CGI you could still never realistically portray some of the rad wonderous visions that you can see in amime. i.e. Akira... that movies like like what 15 years old now and its still cutting edge in my books.

Edited by akabob

Guest Bromgrev

In my experience, people who describe amine (or science fiction, fantasy, anything but here-and-now with 'real' people acting) as immature do so to avoid having to admit they don't understand the plot. :lol:

I'm afraid I'm gonna say it is.

I rented this Samurai movie released through ADV. There was a generic preview at the start of the movie for ADV anime. The voices of the voice over were sounded very much like young teens. Anime has been mainsteamed through places like Cartoon Network. It is market to kids. There is some good anime out there (like Macross!) but when I look to see what's on TV or on the shelves a lot of it is lame, gay assed looking anime that is brought over dubbed and played for the kids. Mainsteam Anime is immature.

Anime is (majority of the time) cartoons for kids. But there's nothing wrong with watching it. Look at Graham...Married and with a child...yet he still hangs around here....

I just see it as entertainment. If I find it entertaining to watch, then I'll watch it. Even if some of it does have tentecles going up some school-girl's skirt, shirt and down her throat..... :unsure:

Some is for kids, some isn't, but its a generational thing... My Parents always thought videogames were a waste of time. They told me that when I grow up, I will think the same thing too, but now that I have grown up with video games, the videogame makers make videogames that still apeal to me, you know games with sex and killing. I feel that I will play video games till the day I die, because its tied to my generation and all furthur generations, not to any age group. Anime is the same thing.

Given all the other crap I watch, they just given up to say what is mature and what isn't.

I myself am suprise how much less animated stuff I watch. But most anime IS childish... I wish they made Tengo Tenje more adult like the (japanese) manga. I could use more cartoons like GITS: SAC also. But my friends/family don't assume that the animation I watch is for kids just because they hear japanese voices from the tube.

Just watched macross zero again, but unlike the other times I've watched my older friends (around 10 to 15 years my senior) nagged me this time for wathching macross and anime in general at.  :angry:

According to them watching anime or what they think are "cartoons" is for kids not for grownups like me (early 20's).  :rolleyes:

Have you guys and gals encountered this kind of comment from someone? :unsure:

325346[/snapback]

Get new friends?

Seriously I agree with agent one's and Roy's comments Anime is hitting mainstream, and while there is a lot of crap, there is much of it which is very good and very adult in nature. Anybody who thinks Anime is for kids need to watch Grave of Fireflies or a miyazaki film, or note that Manga is by far and away the most highly sold printed material in Japan behind newspapers. 90% of the stories are not aimed at children by any means.

Personally, my good friend is an independent music producer for a hip hop artist, and he loves Spirited away along with his girlfriend (even used a sample in one of his tracks). I introduced him to Nausicaa and he loved it. Most of my friends are twenty somethings living in east London, (a pretty happening place if I may say so) working diverse places such as bars and corpororations, and I have no problem getting them to watch good anime.

And really, you shouldn't give two shxts about what people think in the end... your friends aren't going to abandon you because you watch anime. I learned that the long hard way.

Some is for kids, some isn't, but its a generational thing... My Parents always thought videogames were a waste of time.  They told me that when I grow up, I will think the same thing too, but now that I have grown up with video games, the videogame makers make videogames that still apeal to me, you know games with sex and killing.  I feel that I will play video games till the day I die, because its tied to my generation and all furthur generations, not to any age group.  Anime is the same thing.

325478[/snapback]

For the most part it IS a generational agruement. But one based on what the perceiption of maturity is. My parents, who are know in their late 50's and mid 60's, have nearly always felt that once you become an adult ALL of your responsiblities shift towards 'family' completely ignoring any of your wants and needs for the sake of someone else. But they percieve that their really isn't any difference between cartoons and anime, because they both grew up in a period when cartoons were comic based. Which is frankly funny given how socially manipulative the 70's-80's cartoons were with their candy coated 'PC'-isms. My dad othen asks why I don't have anything 'funny' in my collection. I always tell him the truth. "I'm not into comedy." Besides what passes for humor in Japanese culture is not nessasarly funny to most non-Japanese.

Anyways I've found THE perfect counter question for when I'm asked this question.

"What are the differences between the fantasy of animation and the lies about reality told by regular film?"

I'm afraid I'm gonna say it is.

I rented this Samurai movie released through ADV.  There was a generic preview at the start of the movie for ADV anime.  The voices of the voice over were sounded very much like young teens.    Anime has been mainsteamed through places like Cartoon Network.  It is market to kids.  There is some good anime out there (like Macross!) but when I look to see what's on TV or on the shelves a lot of it is lame, gay assed looking anime that is brought over dubbed and played for the kids.  Mainsteam Anime is immature.

325403[/snapback]

A fair observation, however, try applying this thinking to other genres of entertainment. The office where I work is filled almost exclusively with 25s-35s watching The O.C., One Tree Hill, and a host of other shows aimed at teen to pre-teen viewers. I generally don't call my co-workers immature for watching such programming, despite the fact such shows are immature products. Granted, I would like to think the "MAJORITY" of television shows are not aimed at children or teens, but it would be hard to convince me that NA television is inherently mature by nature. That would be a laugh.

I'm 34 and have been enamoured with anime since watching Starblazers when I was in 5th or 6th grade at the local Boy's Club. Macross just cemented the deal and I've never looked back.

Sure most of the mainstream is the mass marketed crap that everyone usually gets a sample of but then I'll denounce it too, saying that there is much better stuff out there, at which point I usually mention Studio Ghibli films.

But as mentioned before, for anyone who watches the Simpsons (or the much better Futurama), they can't complain. Point out a series like Urusei Yatsura and explain how wacky that show can be.

yeah totally. Its ridiculous. Im 18 and some people dont know anything about anime. Anime is for ALL ages. And macross is definitely on the more older teens and on spectrum. Pfft. Dont listen to them i say.

325348[/snapback]

Ooh, look! Someone with an image used as their signature. Bets on how long it will remain there before it is deleted?

Back on topic, I'm 40 years old and have been watching anime for nearly three-quarters of my life. I have friends my age and older who think I'm immature for even watching anime because, as it has already been stated, "they're cartoons." Then I have my younger friends who think I'm cool because I watch it. Whatever your predicament, just ignore the ramblings of people who are ignorant of our hobby and just continue to do what you like.

Ironically I got into anime specifically because I thought western made cartoons were too juvenile and needed "realism". For me it was the escape away from the typical children's cartoon because it was a form of animated entertainment for grown ups. :D So it's a culture thing. (and I'm not afraid to say I was a fan of even children's cartoons either. Remember bugs bunny and the violent cartoon humor in warner bros toons? He was cool! :D Remember Tom and Jerry? They were funny! Forget cartoons today like spongebob squarpants and the like, these were the sh!t back then for both adults and kids.)

There is also some stuff you can do in animation not possible in real life. (ie look at akira and how the character can blow poo up with his mind, that would cost lots of money to do up in real life, and the effect may not be what the people want. Or take any action scene where the hero does stuff that is matrix-y and would look silly in live action but better as an animated character - in animation there are no limits)

But attitudes will change with newer generations.

I look at anime and manga the same way some would look at western pulp fiction characters or comics - it can be nerdy so it will be stigmatised as something people should have grown out of and therefore not be proud to be fanatical about, but because so many people secretly like it, this cancels it out. (it is not nerdy once it is widespread and well-known and part of mainstream entertainment)

Anyone who has ever read a fantasy novel, or comic like batman, or recognises a hero they used to look up to as a kid and still likes, (superman) shouldn't have any reason to think of anime specifically for kids but instead entertainment that can span many generations that can cover mature themes. (the same way a fictional character in fictional setting can be based on things that happen in the real world)

It's only when you insult the intelligence of the audience or fan that I feel it can be somewhat childish and that's when I'm embarassed to say it is a suitable interest for adults to people who may not have seen things aimed for adults. (ie gits, akira, any show with adult themes)

When anime wasn't mainstream I'll have to admit I was scared people would think I was strange to be a fan of japanese animation. Anything that wasn't with live actors could have been seen as content for kids. So I disagree with the belief that just because anime is mainstream that people's attitudes are that it is kiddy today more than before. I think as many people as there are that think this, there are more fans of it who are adults and who as adults now have access to stuff that they wouldn't have got to see due to it being more than just a tiny niche.

I believe that what happened was that in the early days of trying to get it to be mainstream, they had to promote the violence and sex and gore aspect of anime to teen audiences to target a specific age group but that this was not an indication of the show being only suitable for those types of people. (it was just a way to make money because once people saw them they would encourage other people to see it and they would judge it on case by case basis. It was just a safer, less risky way to get a foot in the door because everyone wants death and sex, drug use, and will be drawn to themes like this in thier adolescence, so it makes perfect sense they would promote these bits as the reason to watch, regardless of the story, whether it was intellectually stimulating, whether it is something original you've never seen before or anything like that..)

If you think about the interest as only being for a small group, outsiders will then percieve it that way. But the reality is that it is certainly no more different than any other entertainment like movies with all the same themes you see in an anime. Lets say something violent like mad max: titties, violence, fictional world, usage of machines, a hero who is the sole survivor and whose skills are the only thing that allows him to live where others have failed. Now compare this to any mecha show and exchange that with some young kid instead of a man. Same content but only difference is one is live actors: but they are both not children-aimed or kiddy in any way. If you were ever a fan of clint eastwoord movies, like to read comics with tragic anti-heroes, or just like the sci-fi and mecha, I would recommend to people to get into anime as I can see similar things - animated should not make a difference and in fact can only enhance the entertainment since many things in movies are not realistically possible anyway - but are presented with grace in an animated form.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

:lol:   I get the same kinda crap for liking anime... but I also get crap for collecting figures, and painting miniatures and models, so I guess I'm just a big crapmagnet anyways. :lol:

325381[/snapback]

325384[/snapback]

mademyday.gif

Ironically I got into anime specifically because I thought western made cartoons were too juvenile and needed "realism". For me it was the escape away from the typical children's cartoon because it was a form of animated entertainment for grown ups. :D So it's a culture thing. (and I'm not afraid to say I was a fan of even children's cartoons either. Remember bugs bunny and the violent cartoon humor in warner bros toons? He was cool! :D Remember Tom and Jerry? They were funny! Forget cartoons today like spongebob squarpants and the like, these were the sh!t back then for both adults and kids.)

There is also some stuff you can do in animation not possible in real life. (ie look at akira and how the character can blow poo up with his mind, that would cost lots of money to do up in real life, and the effect may not be what the people want. Or take any action scene where the hero does stuff that is matrix-y and would look silly in live action but better as an animated character - in animation there are no limits)

But attitudes will change with newer generations.

I look at anime and manga the same way some would look at western pulp fiction characters or comics - it can be nerdy so it will be stigmatised as something people should have grown out of and therefore not be proud to be fanatical about, but because so many people secretly like it, this cancels it out. (it is not nerdy once it is widespread and well-known and part of mainstream entertainment)

Anyone who has ever read a fantasy novel, or comic like batman, or recognises a hero they used to look up to as a kid and still likes, (superman) shouldn't have any reason to think of anime specifically for kids but instead entertainment that can span many generations that can cover mature themes. (the same way a fictional character in fictional setting can be based on things that happen in the real world)

It's only when you insult the intelligence of the audience or fan that I feel it can be somewhat childish and that's when I'm embarassed to say it is a suitable interest  for adults to people who may not have seen things aimed for adults. (ie gits, akira, any show with adult themes)

When anime wasn't mainstream I'll have to admit I was scared people would think I was strange to be a fan of japanese animation. Anything that wasn't with live actors could have been seen as content for kids. So I disagree with the belief that just because anime is mainstream that people's attitudes are that it is kiddy today more than before. I think as many people as there are that think this, there are more fans of it who are adults and who as adults now have access to stuff that they wouldn't have got to see due to it being more than just a tiny niche.

I believe that what happened was that in the early days of trying to get it to be mainstream, they had to promote the violence and sex and gore aspect of anime to teen audiences to target a specific age group but that this was not an indication of the show being only suitable for those types of people. (it was just a way to make money because once people saw them they would encourage other people to see it and they would judge it on case by case basis. It was just a safer, less risky way to get a foot in the door because everyone wants death and sex, drug use, and will be drawn to themes like this in thier adolescence, so it makes perfect sense they would promote these bits as the reason to watch, regardless of the story, whether it was intellectually stimulating, whether it is something original you've never seen before or anything like that..)

If you think about the interest as only being for a small group, outsiders will then percieve it that way. But the reality is that it is certainly no more different than any other entertainment like movies with all the same themes you see in an anime. Lets say something violent like mad max: titties, violence, fictional world, usage of machines, a hero who is the sole survivor and whose skills are the only thing that allows him to live where others have failed. Now compare this to any mecha show and exchange that with some young kid instead of a man. Same content but only difference is one is live actors: but they are both not children-aimed or kiddy in any way. If you were ever a fan of clint eastwoord movies, like to read comics with tragic anti-heroes, or just like the sci-fi and mecha, I would recommend to people to get into anime as I can see similar things - animated should not make a difference and in fact can only enhance the entertainment since many things in movies are not realistically possible anyway - but are presented with grace in an animated form.

325546[/snapback]

I think you need not apply to the Self Hating Anime Club.

Seriously.

:lol:   I get the same kinda crap for liking anime... but I also get crap for collecting figures, and painting miniatures and models, so I guess I'm just a big crapmagnet anyways. :lol:

325381[/snapback]

325384[/snapback]

mademyday.gif

325563[/snapback]

Hahaha, I'm glad I could do so much for you guys. :lol:

I had that same problem with my second older sister Debby who frowned on me watching anime and cartoons I once told her it's my choice I just prefer something well written and better animated not something like Spongebob Squarepants and those Nickelodeon shows and the shows Cartoon Network puts on friday nights and reruns those same shows everyday. Thats why I preferr Sci-Fi (Macross Gundam, GITS SAC, etc and action anime DB Z DB GT Ninja Scroll Cowboy Bebop Yu Yu hakusho etc and some comedy (Tenchi Muyo, Inuyasha,) I say to those who frown upon what we like is, If you don't like there's the door.

No harm in watching hentai either, provided you are of legal age and fully understand exactly what it is you are watching.   :)

325416[/snapback]

I never seen Hentai because of an overwhelming fear of the clerk looking at me like I'm some sort of freak that gets his jollies of watchig anime babes getting raped or just plain having sex. There were times I was tempted to by this one hentai, but decided against it. this was a fact that if I did, my nephew who was once living with me at the time would go into my room and watch my video's with out my permission and I get yelled at by my sister for owning it.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet