recommend a good anime please.

Hey, it's been a while since I've watched any anime and I was hoping for some suggestions. I normally prefer serious anime, but in truth as long as it has fun stories and good characters I really don't care about the genre or tone of the show.

One word: Planetes.

In my not so humble opinion, best anime of 2004, hands down. Available by Bandai Entertainment. Character driven, damn good plot, manages to pull a smile once in a while without making you lose the seriousness of it, wonderful music, exceptional animation (most of the time anyway). And the opening is real catchy (think the opening of Enterprise... only that it's actually GOOD this time).

Haibane Renmei is a good one. Kino's Journey is also one quite enjoyable.

Edit: Rememberd another good one. The diary of tortov roddle. It is one ova 16 minutes long, and is unlicenced so you will have to download it. Believe me it's worth it.

Edited by Father Jack

Want to feel like you've been slapped in the face with a wet haddock? Want your brain to feel like its dissolving in fizzy sherbert? Want to feel what its like to consume a couple of bags of sugar in one go?

Then Kodocha is out in a few days!

(aka Childs Toy aka Kodomo no Omocha)

:lol:

New:

Yakitate Japan - if you want something funny

Bleach - Something with action

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan - bizarre parady filled with comic blood

Monster - must see

Not new but not old

Tenshi na Konamaiki - good story and funny, animation is different style from traditional

Ebichu - Ecchi comedy, over 18 please

Kanon - sad drama

Old:

Touch - from the 80's, a sports drama with a great storyline

the long list here:

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php

for licensed material available on DVD:

Full Metal Alchemist - weird name but great story and characters

Elfin Lied - Kawaii killing machines

Last Exile - lush animation, good story

F.

Edited by fernarias

Lupin III

Urusei Yatsura

Last Exile

Excel Saga

Full Metal Panic and FMP: Fumoffu!?

Those are just my recommendations. :)

Here is my suggestion:

Patlabor- good robot series if you dont like Gundam.

Witch Hunter Robin - a nice serious series with supernatural in the real world.

Noir - Women and guns. Basically a serious series in which pairs up two women assassins looking for their pasts.

Ghost in the Shell TV series - Think Matrix.

Full Metal Panic - Has humor and has some seriousness side with robots.

Mospeada - Robotech Next Gen series that stole from this series. More robots. This series is better from the Japanese script, not robotech.

an anime classic i would recommend is ninja scroll, and as for newer stuff maybe bakuretsu tenshi.

318895[/snapback]

Couldn't stand Bakuretsu.....even its catch phrase of "GIRLS! GUNS! and MECHA!" was pretencious. :rolleyes:

I highly recommend Elfenlied, one of the most underhyped anime and best IMHO. ;)

I only really watch mecha shows so that's all I can recomend but I'm currently watching,

On torrent,

Full Metal Panic:The Second Raid, I think that quality wise this has allready surpassed the first series at the same point but I said that about Seed Destiny which has sadly gone badly downhill since.

Gun X Sword, only just started on this last night and I think it's BLINDING, ep 3 has a beautifully done homage to old skool combiner robos with a Mexican twist.

Seems like another attempt at the "new Trigun" but it's hiding what could turn out to be a very interesting show in it's shadows.

Eureka Seven, In a nutshell it's the Gundam for the new generation that Seed was without just being a remake.

Bleach, don't usually stick with anything that doesn't have robots but this has held my interest nicely with it's mix of comedy and stylish magical samuraing.

Space Runaway Ideon, Old skool Tomino class being subbed by the Shin Getter group.

OVA's, Gunbuster II & Super Robot Wars Original Generation.

DVD, Just got the whole Series of Aura Battler Dunbine from ADV's online sale and am working my way through it. More old school Tomino at his best.

Also got Megazone 23 in that sale which was excellent, reminded me how good some of the 80's sci-fi animes really were.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone complex. Can't not mention this, in dividually not as good as the original masterpiece but taken overall it's a series which shouldn't be missed.

Full Metal Alchemist, only one vol in my clutches so far but I'm allready hooked and baying for the next one.

I think that's enough of my choices. :D

ITs always me saying this (or morpheus), but if you want an excellent serious anime, none tops Legend of Galactic Heroes. I've written waay too much about it, but a short synopsis its a massive space opera spanning 110 episodes +52 side story episodes, and 2 movies. It details an epic war between a Authoritarian Galactic Empire and a failing democracy the Free Planets Alliance. It revolves around two leaders, Reinhart Von Lohengramm of the Galactic Empire and Admiral Yang Wenli from the FPA. ITs massively political, with huge plotlines that look like they are from a russian novel (unlike most Anime, LOGH was taken from a novel rather than a manga), and the battles really have the most realistic portail in anime (they take many of the leaders strategies from real battles). It makes Macross look like Pokemon for its portrail of war... tens of thousands of ships engage in combat, and often millions perish in these conflict. Many of the main characters perish by the end, not graphically but often poignantly. You'll often find yourself get deeply attached to certain characters only to have them die a sensless death... it really pulls at your heart strings.

If you want to start I suggest you download the first couple of episodes via bittorrent. You'll pretty quickly tell if you get hooked or not (something tells me you will). Its not licenced in north america (and I doubt it will ever be given its subject matter and length) but I personally consider it the finest Japanese Anime ever produced, matched only by some of Miyazaki's works on different merits.

Edited by Noyhauser

That sounds awesome and very much my thing, I'm going to have to look into that.

319093[/snapback]

honestly, I've watched a lot of anime in my day.... I was raised up on it during the 80s by my father who thought of it as a teaching tool to improve my japanese... and since I've started watching LOGH, I really gotten to reassess what I consider "good anime" because the series has completely changed my views the medium. This series is what you want anime to be. Not flashy shows that substitute flashy scenes for substance, but it as a medium to convey a story that can't be told any other way. The show builds up to some of the most epic battles one can imagine.

Here are some recommendations for older animes:

Iczer1 OVAs,

GunBuster OVAs (not the crap 2nd series),

Maison Ikkoku tv series,

Ghost in the Shell 1-2 movie & Stand Alone Complex tv series,

Most Studio Ghilbi films: Laputa, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart, I Can Hear the Sea

Urusei Yatsura tv series, OVAs & movies 1-5,

Video Girl Ai OVA series,

Ah My Goddess OVAs,

Kimagure Orange Road tv, ova series, movies 1-2

Bubblegum Crisis OVAs (not the tv series),

Patlabor ovas, movies 1-2,

Escaflowne tv series & movie,

Rurouni Kenshin tv series & OVAs,

MegaZone 23 OVAs,

Dangaioh OVAs,

Dirty Pair OVAs and movies,

Arislan OVAs,

Iria OVAs,

Record of Lodoss Wars OVAs not tv series,

Tenchi Muyo OVAs & universe, movies 1-3,

City Hunter tv series, movies, specials

Fist of the North Star tv series,

Devil Hunter Yohko OVAs,

Vampire Hunter D original & Bloodlust movie

Wicked City movie,

Ninja Scroll movie,

Roujin-Z movie,

Mazinkaiser,

Street Fighter II movie,

Guyver OVAs,

Mahoromatic,

Nadia, secret of Blue Water tv series

GunSmith Cats OVAs,

Mermaid Forest & Scar OVAs,

One Pound Gospel OVAs,

Gundam movies 1-3, Z Gundam, 0083 OVAs, Char's Counterattack movie

All of this should keep you occupied for quite sometime. :)

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

New

Galaxy Railways

Planetes

Fafner

Area 88

Rahxephon

Full Metal Alchemist

Big-o!

Old

Nadesico

Captain Harlock

Excel Saga

Blue Seed

Movies

Voices of a Distant Star

A place Promised in Our Early Days

Five Star Stories

Akira

Macross

Be Forever Yamato

Read Or Die

Gundam

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083:stardust memory

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080:War in the Pocket

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Movies

Mobile Suit Gundam: Chars Counter Attack

Zeta Gundam

Double Zeta Gundam

Victory Gundam

Gundam Seed

as far releases this year are concerned, te two iam most excited about are Planetes and Galaxy Railways. I've read the manga, Planetes, and i own volume one on dvd, i can say that its one of my favorite animes of all time with a solid plot and wonderfull charecters. Galaxy Railways was awesome, classic Leji Mitsumoto, its like star trek meets thomas the tank engine.

If you want a really hevy anime, go with Rahxephon. In my opinion its beter than Evangelion, but no where near as ground breaking, and there arent alot of happy moments, something Evangelion has over Rahxephon. Gundam 0083, is brutally tragic yet wonderfully light hearted.