Robotech and HG license debates

(And, as unsatisfying as a lot of people found the ending of Zero to be, at least it HAD an ending.)

I rate Macross Zero as a story failure nearly as bad as Robotech: Shadow Chronicles, with the caveat that R:SC rates as 1 out of 5 while M0 perhaps justifies a 2 out of 5 rating (for whatever that's worth).

However, comparing the 3D CGI, there is no comparison. The CGI in R:SC is over a decade behind what is currently an acceptable level in animated entertainment, both in visual adeptness and physics. Granted, the physics and scene composition in Macross Zero was mostly lacking, but the detailed CGI modeling and CGI effects in Macross Zero were very high end. Robotech: Shadow Chronicles looks like it was made in the mid 1990's and if there was more visual disconnect between the 2D animation and the CGI in R:SC, editing in live action is the only way it could look worse. As for critiquing the 2D art, I've never seen animation as sterilized and aesthetically inert as R:SC. It might as well have been "Anime by number."

I rate Macross Zero as a story failure nearly as bad as Robotech: Shadow Chronicles, with the caveat that R:SC rates as 1 out of 5 while M0 perhaps justifies a 2 out of 5 rating (for whatever that's worth).

However, comparing the 3D CGI, there is no comparison. The CGI in R:SC is over a decade behind what is currently an acceptable level in animated entertainment, both in visual adeptness and physics. Granted, the physics and scene composition in Macross Zero was mostly lacking, but the detailed CGI modeling and CGI effects in Macross Zero were very high end. Robotech: Shadow Chronicles looks like it was made in the mid 1990's and if there was more visual disconnect between the 2D animation and the CGI in R:SC, editing in live action is the only way it could look worse. As for critiquing the 2D art, I've never seen animation as sterilized and aesthetically inert as R:SC. It might as well have been "Anime by number."

I liked Zero a lot, but I've come to accept that I'm massively uncritical when it comes to Macross.

Now, I've only seen SC on youtube, which isn't the way to see it at its finest, but it was all so static...and not purposefully static, like Evangelion (or a Jim Jarmusch movie), but static in a "here's another panning shot followed by Basara strumming the same chord on his guitar over and over again" Macross 7 kind of way. Mao moved more (and more realistically) in any single scene of Zero than all the characters in SC put together did in the entire movie.

As you say, ten years behind its time.

I liked Zero a lot, but I've come to accept that I'm massively uncritical when it comes to Macross.

Now, I've only seen SC on youtube, which isn't the way to see it at its finest, but it was all so static...and not purposefully static, like Evangelion (or a Jim Jarmusch movie), but static in a "here's another panning shot followed by Basara strumming the same chord on his guitar over and over again" Macross 7 kind of way. Mao moved more (and more realistically) in any single scene of Zero than all the characters in SC put together did in the entire movie.

As you say, ten years behind its time.

I'm a huge fan but I can't turn off my critical tendencies, not even for Macross. I don't like M0 and M7 :)

You know what reminds me of the 2D animation in R:SC? A mid-1990s RPG video game. Any character discussion in such a game is always talking heads flapping their mouths. Robotech: Shadow Chronicles was so much of that; static character visuals accompanied by excruciatingly long periods of exposition. Most anime utilizes static sequences (some more than others, such as NGE) but these shots maintain your attention with highly striking, stylized composition and the use of interesting, often subjective angles of the subjects. Because the visuals of R:SC were so aesthetically inert, the static scenes were incredibly dull and the excessive exposition became nearly unbearable as a result. Even Coffee and Cigarettes had more visual flair, "Bill Murray!" :)

HG received numerous offers for a Robotech movie from other studios. It wasn't until the success of Transformers and WB's large success with Batman that HG gave them the rights to film Robotech. I heard that the Transformers toyline alone more then paid for the movie so no doubt a potential Robotech toyline is on HG and WB minds' as well.

From what I know, HG didn't receive many, if any offers for a Robotech movie. A number of years ago, HG invited Tom Desanto (one of the producers of Transformers) over to talk about the possibility of a Robotech movie. What was interesting, was that Mr. DeSanto quite plainly stated that if the movie was going to have a chance of success, it would have to be about the Macross Saga. He also told them that they need to be realistic. Transformers is a household name, where even mothers and fathers can identify the name. Robotech, on the other hand, isn't. From what I was told by one of Tommy's contacts, that meeting was kinda put a little short. It seems to me that Tommy, Steve, and Kevin didn't want to realize the truth, that the franchise just isn't as popular as they want to make Frank Agrama believe, or they themselves.

It does appear that after Transformers came out, it gave the genre some clout in the industry, and that helped make the movie seem more marketable. One thing seems quite certain, it's gonna need to be a damn good film to succeed, cause anything less is gonna end up like Speed Racer, probably like Dragonball, and also like Street Fighter. I do agree that Robotech LAM, if they want a chance at success, needs to retell their Macross Saga. It just doesn't make sense to start a movie on the aftermath of the a 3 part series. Yes, I know Star Wars did, but that was Star Wars, this is Robotech. When people still think of Robotech, for those that do know of it, still either think of Rick Hunter and Skull Leader, or "those motorcycles". Macross is remembered most in the whole RT trilogy. It would be absolutely stupid to make a movie with the lesser of the popular timelines.

From what I know, HG didn't receive many, if any offers for a Robotech movie. A number of years ago, HG invited Tom Desanto (one of the producers of Transformers) over to talk about the possibility of a Robotech movie. What was interesting, was that Mr. DeSanto quite plainly stated that if the movie was going to have a chance of success, it would have to be about the Macross Saga. He also told them that they need to be realistic. Transformers is a household name, where even mothers and fathers can identify the name. Robotech, on the other hand, isn't. From what I was told by one of Tommy's contacts, that meeting was kinda put a little short. It seems to me that Tommy, Steve, and Kevin didn't want to realize the truth, that the franchise just isn't as popular as they want to make Frank Agrama believe, or they themselves.

Too bad the parties interested that aren't HG can't go to the source in Japan to adapt the part of the saga people care about, since it's been going strong in another direction ever since. It would have been easier to bypass HG altogether and do a Macross adaptation, but I'm not holding my breath for that. In fact, either live adaptation should be avoided.

I never watched the cartoon much, but all I wanted from the movie was awesome scenes of robots beating the stuffing out of each other. Instead, I got giant robots sneaking around a garden, piss jokes, and "humorous" black people.

I'm still bitter about that movie...

Robotech wouldn't even be on my radar screen of movies to see...unless A LOT of my friends REALLY, REALLY like it.

i was expecting the same thing from the movie. but they made the movie about the humans and not the transformers. i'll admit that at least it was a "good" movie; but they really came short of making the "right" movie. and i also hated their robot designs. they looked too much like monsters and "muscles and no skin" aka "scary". they should have had the japanese design them for them, i like their humanoid (macross, gundam, fmp, nge, bbc) style better aka "cool".

i used to watch the cartoon. i have the original movie too. the first movie has better action scenes. it reminds me of watching anime from the 80's, it has that same look to it. the only complaint that i have to say that the killed off like almost autobot in the movie and very few decepticons besides starscream died.

This is the thing that a lot of die-hard RT fans as well as HG people probably can't get their head around. Put simply, Macross is THE strongest part of the RT cobbled-together saga. As interesting as they were, both Southern Cross and Mospeada were nowhere near as good. (Sorry to the fans of both of those productions) And it wasn't just the story of Macross that made it unique, it was the designs as well.

I am sure that there are RT fans who believe that if they could replace the Macross designs, at least, and end the copyright issues with the Japanese, that the saga would be perfect. What other motivation could there be behind fan-projects like this.....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...obotech+genesis

And, as everybody knows, this mentality is going to cause them huge problems with a LAM for RT.

Taksraven

Another thing is how are you going to pitch the story to anyone without someone chuckling or asking wtf? It's a space opera with music idols and a magic plant energy source/drug pitched to a population having problems with aging teen idol sensations and drug addiction from every source imaginable. Covering all of this with cool looking robots and explosions can only take you so far.

Don't you know the math?

Anime + English = Anime

(Anime X 3) + English = Anime

(Anime X 3) + English + Floral Power Source = Not Anime

As a teacher, I'm going to give you a well deserved 100%.

Edited by Macross007

If that tidbit of info came from a movie director with some clout in the industry, it appears he knows what could be a hit vs. miss for HG. What I always found funny was that bit that HG didn't seem to think the meeting went too well, and seemed to dismiss the suggestions of a successful director.

I feel bad for all the RT fanboys under the impression that the Live action movie will be a Shadow Chronicles adaptation. I think WB has better research and brains to know that that won't appen. I'd be surprised if it did. Why would they pick the absolute worst thing to come out of the RT franchise, and make it into a movie?

If that tidbit of info came from a movie director with some clout in the industry, it appears he knows what could be a hit vs. miss for HG. What I always found funny was that bit that HG didn't seem to think the meeting went too well, and seemed to dismiss the suggestions of a successful director.

Actually... I think they listened a little better than you're giving them credit for. One of the few facts that Harmony Gold staffers have released about the Robotech live-action project is that it's going to be a re-imagining of the original Robotech series. All the people I've talked to thus far have interpreted that as an announcement that they're going to a highly unfaithful adaptation of Macross with new mechanical designs (probably ala Bayformers) and a drastically revised story.

It's looking to me like the live-action Robotech movie will be a Macross Saga one, re-imagined to avoid a legal battle, and dumbed down enough to appeal to the same lackwits who thought Michael Bay's Transformers movie was a cinematic masterpiece.

I feel bad for all the RT fanboys under the impression that the Live action movie will be a Shadow Chronicles adaptation. I think WB has better research and brains to know that that won't appen. I'd be surprised if it did. Why would they pick the absolute worst thing to come out of the RT franchise, and make it into a movie?

I'd feel bad for them too... if only I'd met any.

I think Warner is smart enough to know that the only way a Robotech movie will sell is if it's a Macross Saga one. Let's face it... finding out what happened to the Macross Saga characters was far and away the most popular reason for interest in Robotech II: the Sentinels and Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles. Without Macross to prop it up, the whole shoddily-built Robotech house comes tumbling down.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I meant when comparing the MOVIES Robotech SC and Macross DYRL which are both around 90 mins long (DYRL 115, RSC 88), DYRL wins hands down. Its not a fair comparison between a 36 episode series with plenty of room for drama and character development to movies that can only work the length of 3-4 episodes.

Ah. Never mind then.

If I ever watch Rawbooteck Shadow Chronicles, I'll view it as a low-budget direct-to-DVD release. That should spare me any suffering.

Or maybe I'll just have some of whatever Roy's been taking lately. It seems to work really well.

Actually... I think they listened a little better than you're giving them credit for. One of the few facts that Harmony Gold staffers have released about the Robotech live-action project is that it's going to be a re-imagining of the original Robotech series. All the people I've talked to thus far have interpreted that as an announcement that they're going to a highly unfaithful adaptation of Macross with new mechanical designs (probably ala Bayformers) and a drastically revised story.

It's looking to me like the live-action Robotech movie will be a Macross Saga one, re-imagined to avoid a legal battle, and dumbed down enough to appeal to the same lackwits who thought Michael Bay's Transformers movie was a cinematic masterpiece.

I'd feel bad for them too... if only I'd met any.

I think Warner is smart enough to know that the only way a Robotech movie will sell is if it's a Macross Saga one. Let's face it... finding out what happened to the Macross Saga characters was far and away the most popular reason for interest in Robotech II: the Sentinels and Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles. Without Macross to prop it up, the whole shoddily-built Robotech house comes tumbling down.

But can they Actually use the word "Macross" or the term "SDF"? Although I think HG secured the use of the term "Macross" (as far as I know")

I've heard that in the Shadow Chronicles, the term Zentradi was not used due to the copyright. So I guess they would just term the zentradi as aliens. How about terms such as Valkyrie? Or Destroid? At least the have the Term Veritech and Guardian (for Fighter and GERWALK modes). I think the only thing that would be retained here are the character names and the story outline, all the rest are to be changed.

I've heard that in the Shadow Chronicles, the term Zentradi was not used due to the copyright.

We don't know that for sure, but it's a popular theory.

I mean, they don't use any Mospeada characters other than Stick, Aisha, and the Refles, but no one is arguing that they don't have the rights to use them.

Seto is probably right. If Warner ever gets to make a Robotech movie it will need some sort of origen. Using a very generic Macross like story should be enough.

I mean take Transformers, it has virtually nothing in common with the original story, remove Optimus and you could have called it Go-Bots without anyone noticing.

For Robotech it's not to hard to imagine a random enemy like Robotech Masters, Invid or Vorlons..err Haydonites I mean. No particular need to use the Zentradi.

Well, it's not as if the Zentradi were that unique in terms of conception as they're pretty much the same kind of oddly colored people like the Gamilas from Yamato. Likewise Southern Cross did the same thing while Mospeada took a healthy dose of the Starship Troopers bug plot. Robotech biggest obstacle to coming back is their stupid adherence to the old formula of 1980's Japanese space opera. As shitty as it was, Shadow Chronicles was basically a generic 80's space opera and let's face it, not even Japan makes those anymore. Maybe they should have tried ripping off something popular in America like Cowboy Bebop.

Well they were unique in a sense that they were giant aliens for proxy warfare :)

I don't think I've seen any animation with opponents 5 times their size... I might be wrong though :p

I guess a problem with RSC is I feel that the characters are one dimensional or something. I just saw it once on Star Movies (Cable)

A number of years ago, HG invited Tom Desanto (one of the producers of Transformers) over to talk about the possibility of a Robotech movie. What was interesting, was that Mr. DeSanto quite plainly stated that if the movie was going to have a chance of success, it would have to be about the Macross Saga. He also told them that they need to be realistic. Transformers is a household name, where even mothers and fathers can identify the name. Robotech, on the other hand, isn't.

I would think that the guys at HG would instinctively know that Macross is the heart of Robotech and is the Saga that could be best adapted into a mainstream movie. Mr. DeSanto does have a point about Robotech not being a household name, but that should not be problem unless HG does something really stupid like advertise Robotech LAM only on Robotech.com for Robotech fans to see. The millions of parents who only knew of the superheros Batman and Superman, still took their kids to see Ironman and Spiderman after seeing the trailers with a pg-13 label broadcasted daily.

One thing to keep in mind is that WB is the one with the creative reins of the movie. Batman had new mecha designs and drastic revisions from the comic book stories: the batmobile, trained by Ras al ghul for several years, and no Lazarus Pits. Despite these differences the movies were loyal to the characters and the story wasn't dumbed down, but compressed for movie adaption. So a live RT could work well with redesigns and revisions, but as for how unfaithful an adaption of Macross this could turn out to be is up in the air.

I am betting that WB will use the love triangle plot and some of the drama could turn out to be somewhat faithful to the Macross we know in several regards. On the other hand if the Transformers LAM crew from Paramont were doing the Robotech movie... We would no doubt get a dump Jack Archer story that is all about him killing Zentradi, joking that he is "Jack the giant killer", hooking up with a lady friend of his without the dramatic love triangle, and a stupid "the future of humanity is so bright I need shades" speech at the end.

The Robotech movie adaptation will stand or fall based on production factors at WB. HG's statement about a "creative hand" in the adaptation is not persuasive, especially since it's the kind of PR statement nearly every property owner releases whenever they sell to a Hollywood studio. But any time a studio gets their hands on a property, they run it their way and Hollywood NEVER makes a deal where they don't have control. They bring in their own screenwriters, their own producers, their own direction. Once HG signed over the rights for a Robotech movie, it was completely out of their hands.

So WB saw dollars signs from Paramount's exploitation of Transformers and now they want their own giant transforming robot formula to rinse and repeat.

The writing team they assembled has given us Smallville, Spider-Man 2, Herbie: Fully Loaded, and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. The strongest part of that resume is Smallville (for what that is worth).

No director to speak of and aside from Tobey, no other cast.

I'm naturally a cynic, but this isn't inspiring me so far. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight began right because WB had a poor performing property and were open to a new creative direction; they were lucky enough to land Nolan. So far I don't see the Robotech adaptation enjoying any kind of similar direction or any luck. And if WB is aiming for Transformers as the benchmark, well, I'll just let that point hang for consideration :):lol:

So WB saw dollars signs from Paramount's exploitation of Transformers and now they want their own giant transforming robot formula to rinse and repeat.

The writing team they assembled has given us Smallville, Spider-Man 2, Herbie: Fully Loaded, and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. The strongest part of that resume is Smallville (for what that is worth).

No director to speak of and aside from Tobey, no other cast.

You forget Lawrence Kasden who wrote Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Raiders of the Lost Ark penned a script for RT as well. Its too early for directors and cast with film still in preproduction, and Tobey is the producer and said so himself that he will most likely stay behind the camera rather then in front of it.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight began right because WB had a poor performing property and were open to a new creative direction.

Are you crazy "Robotech" is about as poor performing and open to new creative direction property as you can get. :lol:

Yeah Batman and Robin were a low Hollywood benchmark, but there were the Frank Milliar, Tim Burton, and Bruce Tim incarnations that were widely successful to draw from and compare to. Robotech on the other hand has the Shoji Kawamori, Carl Macek, and Tommy Yune incarnations. Which man to you guys want WB to choose from? I bet its one of the two Asian guys right. :lol:

Edited by Freiflug88

Just to clarify; WB was given the rights to make a Robotech movie only, not the rights over the entire franchise, correct? Something that Mr. March said made me wonder about HG's role in the franchise's future, that's all.

And they can put as many famous names they can behind the LAM, it doesn't guarantee that it will succeed until they show something on the project and when it eventually comes out.

Just to clarify; WB was given the rights to make a Robotech movie only, not the rights over the entire franchise, correct? Something that Mr. March said made me wonder about HG's role in the franchise's future, that's all.

Yes. WB obtained rights to the live-action movie with Tobey Maguire's production company, Maguire Entertainment.

So if work is being done on the LAM, what's HG going to do until then? If they wanted to go on with Shadow Rising, which companies in the animation and other industries are they still in good terms with to get that and any other future project done?

I gotta admit, I hate Doug Bendo with a passion... I was fortunate enough to be one of the people responsible for getting him permanently banned from Robotech.com.

Is there anything special about that guy (credentials, etc.) or is he just a fan with a big dirty mouth?

So if work is being done on the LAM, what's HG going to do until then? If they wanted to go on with Shadow Rising, which companies in the animation and other industries are they still in good terms with to get that and any other future project done?

In the past couple months, Kevin McKeever has repeatedly insisted that there is no truth in the reports that Robotech: Shadow Rising is on pre-production hiatus so Harmony Gold can focus on the live action movie. Presumably they'll be having DR Movie do the animation again, and be having FUNimation handle the DVD release. Of course, Harmony Gold refuses to announce any kind of release date (even an estimate) for either production, which has led more than a few people to suspect one or both projects have been suspended.

Is there anything special about that guy (credentials, etc.) or is he just a fan with a big dirty mouth?

Well, he IS monumentally stupid, even for a die-hard Robotech fan.

They should have purchased the rights to Gobots.

Taksraven

"As for critiquing the 2D art, I've never seen animation as sterilized and aesthetically inert as R:SC. It might as well have been "Anime by number."

GUYS - one of the best posts on MW I've read through in a while. A lot of spot on comments that match how I feel about R:SC, and the upcoming R:LAM etc.

I recently watch R:SC for the second time hoping it was not as bad as I remembered - it was, or worse. Not only was the animation "aesthetically inert", the awful attempts at humor make it painful to even sit through.

We need a movie or follow-up series that is the Terminator 2 or Aliens version of Macross or Robotech. I mean we are grown men by now for gosh sakes - sheesh! R:SC was still aimed at hormonal pre-teens. Don't they even know there fan base?

I'm hoping with all my fingers crossed that Tobey M and WB will do a great job starting with epsisode 1 of the Macross Saga, ending around the big battle. If its a big success they can pick up where that left off in the Macross story line or go the Robotech route with following the Macross characters into deep space. The earth can face its own foes simultaneously fighting the Masters in Macross destroids and VFs and eventually develop the hovertanks to fight the bioroids or something.

But that bridge is a long way away. Right now the choice is super obvious; start with Macross episode 1.

Hit and miss. The BIG, really BIG, money goal is to make a series that creates a new fanbase. Trying to make RT for the constantly dwindling fanbase already out there would have likely foregone any ability to really grab that big dollar audience. RT:SC was crippled in that it had to try to appease the existing fanbase while attempting to go out and grab a whole new fanbase. Add to that the multitudes of fractures within the existing fanbase (the group that has a hard time looking past Macross, the fans of the other series, and what each potential group would like to see occur) to the intellectual property issues surrounding Macross and I think it's easy to say that RT:SC was starting off from an incredibly difficult conceptual spot. Unfortunately, RT:SC ends up being one apparently low budget compromise that really doesn't please many people since so many compromises were made. It seems likely that WB will not be so distracted by fan feedback as Tommy and crew were likely crippled with. WB is going to look at the property, ask itself "Where is the BIG money?" and then make a movie that appeals to the average American viewing audience and just hope those old fans come along for the ride.

It seems likely that WB will not be so distracted by fan feedback as Tommy and crew were likely crippled with. WB is going to look at the property, ask itself "Where is the BIG money?" and then make a movie that appeals to the average American viewing audience and just hope those old fans come along for the ride.

With the fan fiasco HG left in Shadow Chronicle's wake, I hope WB likes obnoxious Robotech fanboys and pie. At this point they really are an unpleasable fanbase with high expectations to cater to.

As I've said, the best thing to do to avoid any legal entanglements, reboot/update/reimage/etc. the franchise. New VF-1, new SDF-1, new look for Lick Rick, and the gang. Worked for Transformers.

As I've said, the best thing to do to avoid any legal entanglements, reboot/update/reimage/etc. the franchise. New VF-1, new SDF-1, new look for Lick Rick, and the gang. Worked for Transformers.

I take it that you also mean a new script for the "Macross Saga" as well, but they would have to be really careful otherwise they would *still* face the prospect of legal action against them.

Taksraven

The hurdle with Macross currently is how human culture screws-up the aliens attacking them. It'd be a simple matter to make a movie where an alien space ship crashes, humans get all sorts of tech from it, and the aliens show up to reclaim it and then get beaten back. Make that movie, even if the aliens are like 30' tall humanoids, and I don't think BW can complain in the least (you know, if all the characters are new and the mechs don't look familiar). Things don't get sticky until you have a little girl start singing and then all the aliens freak out, at that point you can easily identify it all as a Macross rip off rather than a rip off of many other alien crash stories. The trick for the writers at WB will be to come up with some other item that turns the tides against the alien and unites them in defending the humans.

I read some posted over there. BOK stuff is funny.

"I love being able to clear things up. Robotech is stronger than Ever!"

He speaks the Truth!

You can only say things are great for so long. Companies in general are known saying such things. Unfortunately in this world with of many things to grab people's attention a Company like Harmony Gold has to deliver something. A teaser, a nimble. Just something "physical" besides Bok words. I have no doubt something as great as Robotech will make ZILLIONS OF DOLLARS!

I always found it funny that HG hired BoK. Speaking as a Moderators my opinion of him was an annoying pain in the ass. People here might have thought less. Too me. When I saw Bok show up I knew to expect a fight. Bok rarely was rude or crude. He was among the crowd that couldn't wait to run to Macross World to defend Robotech. Seemed to be all that he posted for. He caused trouble without breaking windows. When he went to work for HG I thought "what were they thinking?" Nothing wrong with hiring fans but the ones you hire should be the moderates. I assumed he have to tone it down once he started working for them. We haven't seen Bok posting here since. As company man he really can't be telling us about the truth here on Macross World. Still it doesn't give me the greatest opinion about HG. Going with (at the time) such a hardliner. It would have been like if Bigwest picked Skullone as their North America Rep.