Robotech and HG license debates

Feels like 2001-2003 all over again, doesn't it? :rolleyes: Now if only we Shawn could restore the old boards...

I dunno, waiting for the Frontier movie is a lot easier than waiting for the next semiannual episode of macross Zero was... :p

I'm kind of glad that the debate here got kind of rebooted, actually. There was so much speculation clouding the issues that it's been nice to get back to the facts, as incomplete and unsatisfactory as they may be.

Unfortunately there really isn't any new news on the matter just fan speculation. Still as a new comer to this copyright case it fascinates me and its something to look into while waiting for the MF movie and the Robotech movies.

I'm glad to see you've taken a sincere interest in this case by taking the time to do some research. It's very refreshing when compared to the typical idiot who comes through here screaming "death to HG!" based on incomplete rumors they've heard from their roomate's friend, who heard it from his neighbor, who heard it from a cab driver, who read about it online.

Feels like 2001-2003 all over again, doesn't it? :rolleyes: Now if only we Shawn could restore the old boards...

Yeah, it's like going back in time. If I really could go back in time, I'd save the old boards from being shipped off to Area 51. B))

I'm glad to see you've taken a sincere interest in this case by taking the time to do some research. It's very refreshing when compared to the typical idiot who comes through here screaming "death to HG!" based on incomplete rumors they've heard from their roomate's friend, who heard it from his neighbor, who heard it from a cab driver, who read about it online.

That would be me :)

But seriously; I know this is a big issue, but I can't be arsed to NOT be a fanboy about it. I have too much to worry about in real life to go and seriously research this issue, so prefer to scream "death to HG!" :)

However - hopefully the fact that I am consciously being a fanboy fanwank counts for something :)

I just like Yamato's Macross valkyries better than what Toynami makes and that's pretty much the extent of the reasoning behind my stance :)

I just hope that the legal wrangling doesn't dry up resources and time to the extent that it actually harms Macross as a whole.

Pete

####Warning click at your own risk. Linked website is borderline NSFW.####

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/10/14/macross-ero-itasha/

"Toggle visibility of mature content"

CLICK!

"OH YEAH BABY!!!

Taksraven

The blogger I mentioned a couple of pages ago, Medmapguy, mentioned doing work for that book, the cover in fact. He's still bitter about the experience, talking about HG and Funimation approving it but unwilling to spend money printing it or something. Guess they wanted the fans to pay for it.

In going back to this, Medmapguy was doing a lot of art and contributing to making this publication. The person he was working with, I believe might have been a member here, was in talks with Tommy and co. Well, to make a long story short, Medmapguy had some choice things to say about the way the franchise and story was going. Somehow, Tommy was pointed to his blog, and read it. So, Tommy took offense to it, and decided that the fan publication was a no go unless Medmapguy was cut out of it. So, being the great "professional" that Tommy is, he basically said, in not such short words, that if the publication is to be made, MedMapGuy, and his work, have to be cut from the publication. As to what extent, and after that, I don't know what happened from there.

All-in-all, much of MMG's work was for not, as he was one of the big original contributors to the work. Really kinda sad.

As far as a "Robotech Codice", the idea very well could've been thought of before Macross Chronicle, but they seem to be 2 totally different things. 1)Macross Chronicle is a licensed product, with stats and details from the creators, while Robotech Codice is 2)Seeming to be another fan project taken from the original creators, and from other half-baked books. I will say, that if Memo is working on it, that's a good thing. At least they have someone dedicated. It also means that Tommy and Co. are helping out to some extent or another. The drawback is that HG's lack of doing anything with true originality again is shown. Also, they're just gonna leave it to the fans to do all the work, while they pretend to be doing stuff with Shadow Rising, and act as if they are in charge of the Live action movie.

I dunno, waiting for the Frontier movie is a lot easier than waiting for the next semiannual episode of macross Zero was... tongue.gif

I never knew that feeling. Was never really on the internet a lot until I got a T3 connection in my college dorm freshman year. Thats when I discovered youtube and since I was an Aerospace Engineering major I of course ending up running a search for jets. Somehow I found this Japanese Macross Zero AMV and I was all this is "awesome its like a Japanense version of Robotech in 3d!" Soon I was downloading all the Macross Zero episodes and realizing the irony of my statement as I learned the the origins of Macross through wikipedia.

I'm kind of glad that the debate here got kind of rebooted, actually. There was so much speculation clouding the issues that it's been nice to get back to the facts, as incomplete and unsatisfactory as they may be.

Yeah, this Robotech debates must be the real-life incarnate of the Robotech "Circle." Fans debate until they come to the realization that there is little we can do about HG licensing Macross blah blah blah. Then get disappointed when the latest Macross won't cross the Pacific, new angry fans join in, and discussions on the HG license debate start again.

"Toggle visibility of mature content"

CLICK!

"OH YEAH BABY!!!

:lol: Here is some more great Macross news I am sure you will enjoy reading...

####NSFW! Warning click at your own risk. ####

1. Klein rumored "expansion" for the Frontier movie http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/01/11/m...for-klan-klein/

2. Another kind of Macross Frontier movie being released... http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/12/24/s...orn-parody-due/

3. New Macross Frontier singles released with erotic CD jackets covers http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/12/23/m...ro-cds-on-sale/

Yeah, this Robotech debates must be the real-life incarnate of the Robotech "Circle." Fans debate until they come to the realization that there is little we can do about HG licensing Macross blah blah blah. Then get disappointed when the latest Macross won't cross the Pacific, new angry fans join in, and discussions on the HG license debate start again.

There are some positives about the whole thing though; more people get a better picture about what Robotech really is, HG's reputation is tarnished even further with more people getting informed, and, as time goes on, some of our accusations regarding the whole debate may turn out to be true, especially with HG's inactivity.

In going back to this, Medmapguy was doing a lot of art and contributing to making this publication. The person he was working with, I believe might have been a member here, was in talks with Tommy and co. Well, to make a long story short, Medmapguy had some choice things to say about the way the franchise and story was going. Somehow, Tommy was pointed to his blog, and read it. So, Tommy took offense to it, and decided that the fan publication was a no go unless Medmapguy was cut out of it. So, being the great "professional" that Tommy is, he basically said, in not such short words, that if the publication is to be made, MedMapGuy, and his work, have to be cut from the publication. As to what extent, and after that, I don't know what happened from there.

MMG has... a colorful personality. He might have screwed himself and the staff for not showing some restraint, especially when working with professionals even if it's HG. As for the blog, Tommy may not be the only person to take offense to the stuff on it.

Edited by Einherjar

LIKE I SAID, FANDOM POLITICS

MMG has... a colorful personality. He might have screwed himself and the staff for not showing some restraint, especially when working with professionals even if it's HG.

THIS GOES WAY BACK TO THE PIE INCIDENT. THERE WAS A THREAD ONCE WHERE MMG SUGGESTED THE USE OF A PIE (THEY CLAIMED AS A JOKE). AND SINCE THEN HIS BLOG AND WHERE HE WENT.

THE PERSON WORKING ON THE BOOK DID NOT KNOW ABOUT MMG AND HIS PAST AND WHEN IT WAS TURNED IN HG RECOGNIZED THE NAME. AND YOU CAN FIGURE THE REST.

they seem to be 2 totally different things. 1)Macross Chronicle is a licensed product, with stats and details from the creators, while Robotech Codice is 2)Seeming to be another fan project taken from the original creators, and from other half-baked books.

THIS IS TRU.

TO ADD, WE ALSO LOOKING INTO THE LEGAL RIGHTS THROUGH HG (PROPERTY RIGHTS) THAT TATSUNOKO MIGHT HAVE AS WELL. BUT FOLLOWING THE ROBOTECH TIME LINE. WITH ADDITIONAL WORK. SO WHATEVER TATSU HAS PER RIGHTS AND GIVEN TO HG THEN THAT WILL BE ALSO USED.

And exactly how many people are involved in this fandom politics you keep talking about? Is it just in the Robotech fandom or does it include us as well?

I can only respond for myself, but this may speak for others as well.

I was a really hardcore fan of RT when it first came out. I saw it on its' original air dates, so that's quite a while ago. Now, since that time, I've learned about Macross, and all the continuations thereof, and have become a die-hard Macross fan, and my fan-status of RT has taken a somewhat disant second.

My primary gripe about the whole debate is this: HG seems to be operating in a complete fantasy world, where they alone seem to think that thier fanbase is growing, and therefore, this gives them justification to maintain the unholy monopoly on all things Macross.

They'd have a VERY hard time using anything from thier original Macross-Saga storyline (to the extent, even, of SEVERLY altering Rick Hunters' appearance), what with using basic mecha designs and characters from thier 'New Generation' storyline (Mospaeda), and so they only use the Macross copywrite to sell crap. Bad crap, at that. If they do present well made stuff, then it's for a price that's too ridiculous to justify.

Like I said, I can only speak for myself, but there it is... maybe someone else might agree, and even expand the point.

Tommy took offense to it, and decided that the fan publication was a no go unless Medmapguy was cut out of it. So, being the great "professional" that Tommy is, he basically said, in not such short words, that if the publication is to be made, MedMapGuy, and his work, have to be cut from the publication.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Back in 2003, when I first registered on Robotech.com, I noticed that Harmony Gold seemed to have a crippling fear of being criticized, particularly where their new projects are concerned. People who predict that new products will turn out badly tend to find themselves the objects of an unnatural amount of attention from the moderators. What's more, when disputes break out between the glassy-eyed Robotech fan-zombies for whom Tommy is something of a messiah and the people with working brains, the moderators always seem to decide that the critics are trying to stir up trouble. Right now, I'm pretty sure I'm under the close scrutiny two, possibly three, moderators for my criticisms of the coming live-action movie and my arguments with a dyed-in-the-wool fanatic by the screenname of Jeebers.

Robotech Codice is 2)Seeming to be another fan project taken from the original creators, and from other half-baked books. I will say, that if Memo is working on it, that's a good thing. At least they have someone dedicated. It also means that Tommy and Co. are helping out to some extent or another.

I've always wondered why they're using the plural form "Codices" instead of the singular form "Codex" for the title of the work in progress. Any light to shed on that?

If all the Robotech Codex project is is a condensation of half-assed Robotech books like the Robotech Art series and the Palladium RPG, what's the effing point? You can put a pretty bow on a turd, but that's not going to disguise the fact that it's a turd, nor will it distract anyone from the stench. Not only will they have to jump through hoops to get Harmony Gold's OK to print, they'll have to jump through more hoops to get Palladium's OK to use art or content from their books too, and heaven help them if they want to use stuff from the McKinney novels. All in all, an awful lot of trouble for not a lot of useful content. What good is a publication like that if the mechanical design stats they print go out the window in the next Infopedia update?

There are some positives about the whole thing though; more people get a better picture about what Robotech really is, HG's reputation is tarnished even further with more people getting informed, and, as time goes on, some of our accusations regarding the whole debate may turn out to be true, especially with HG's inactivity.

No kidding...

I was a really hardcore fan of RT when it first came out. I saw it on its' original air dates, so that's quite a while ago. Now, since that time, I've learned about Macross, and all the continuations thereof, and have become a die-hard Macross fan, and my fan-status of RT has taken a somewhat disant second.

I remember seeing a couple signatures on Robotech.com that went to the effect of "Former Robotech fan, lost to Macross due to no movement from HG". Pretty fair description of where I was, circa 2003. Though Robotech continues to lose ground in my book, because Tommy is wiping his dick all over the franchise and turning it from a polarizing, if anachronistic, classic, into bland, samey dribble.

My primary gripe about the whole debate is this: HG seems to be operating in a complete fantasy world, where they alone seem to think that thier fanbase is growing, and therefore, this gives them justification to maintain the unholy monopoly on all things Macross.

I know... I've made that observation several times... message board activity on their site has dropped off sharply, so that there are barely thirty people posting in 90% of the site. Most of the old times have been banned or left when the site suddenly turned from something like this place into a kid-friendly poster child for political correctness.

Harmony Gold employees (particularly Kevin McKeever) protest that their franchise is growing, bigger and better than ever before, and that the fanbase has only grown, offering no actual evidence to support his claims in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Ask the joe average anime fan what he thinks of Robotech and you'll get one of two answers most of the time... either "What's that?" or "That's poo!".

You make the whole thing sound like a cult Seto Kaiba. I wouldn't be surprised if it really was one with all the craziness surrounding it.

Well, Einherjar, allow me to offer up 'People's Exibit No. 1'.

On the two-disc Collector's Edition of 'The Shadoe Chronicles', there's a fan response segemnt, in one of the special features. Now, unless my memory's totally faulty (a distinct possibility), the majority of the fans interviewed for this segment were (and I can't believe I'm saying this...) around MY AGE (Mid-30s).

Not a lot of teeners there, if I remember...

Cult, in my estimation, would be a rather good description, but a nut-case cult, to be sure...

On the two-disc Collector's Edition of 'The Shadoe Chronicles', there's a fan response segemnt, in one of the special features. Now, unless my memory's totally faulty (a distinct possibility), the majority of the fans interviewed for this segment were (and I can't believe I'm saying this...) around MY AGE (Mid-30s).

Not a lot of teeners there, if I remember...

Cult, in my estimation, would be a rather good description, but a nut-case cult, to be sure...

The video with the guying screaming "I want to see RICK HUNTER" right? Its no surprise they focused on the most eccentric fans in there 30s. Trust me most teenagers who are into anime are not into Robotech and even the older Macross. While waiting in line at Anime Weekend Atlanta of 2007 for the guest panel with Noburo Ishiguro as the guest speaker I started talking to several other people in line.

The younger half of the people there were all:

"I never heard of Macross or Robotech"

"I don't watch crappy 80s anime"

"I am not a mecha fan"

"I never knew Macross Plus/Zero had a prequel/seguel."

On the other hand the older crowd knew exactly what Macross and/or Robotech was and had fond memories of the series.

There are also the rare fans who grew up with Robotech, have seen DYRL, Plus, Seven, etc, but have yet to seen the original Macross and series that Robotech was born from. I have a friend who is just such a fan and I am eager to see if watching the orginal Macross puts a dent in his nostalgia aka obsession for Robotech. Let me put his obsession into perspective for you guys, loaning me his portable green screen kit that costs at least 2 grand isn't a problem, but he won't even let one of his best friends that he has known for years, who is also a director in charge of getting anime for the screening rooms at Cons, burrow his Robotech Original (not Remastered) dvdset.

You make the whole thing sound like a cult Seto Kaiba. I wouldn't be surprised if it really was one with all the craziness surrounding it.

That's pretty much what I was aiming for... the majority of the Robotech fans on the Robotech.com message boards are reasonably civil and polite, even if their grasp on reality is a little bit shaky since they don't want to admit that they bet on the wrong horse. There's this genuinely cult-like cluster of fans on there who come charging into threads to defend the retcons Tommy made over the last couple years, telling critics that they're not real Robotech fans, and happily say "thank you sir, may I have another" every time Tommy and company shat out another mediocre comic or third-rate movie... the sort of mad Robotech fan whose love of the series borders on the fetishistic, who vehemently disavow its links to Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada, and who defended the obscene price for the Masterpiece Beta as reasonable... in short, people like Treiz and Jeebers.

(To give you an idea of HOW crazy these nutters are, I've been told by some of them that Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada are ripoffs of Robotech, and not the other way around)

Doesn't surprise me... the average age of fans on Robotech.com is over 18... yet they insist on keeping the site kid friendly enough for preschoolers.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

That's pretty much what I was aiming for... the majority of the Robotech fans on the Robotech.com message boards are reasonably civil and polite, even if their grasp on reality is a little bit shaky since they don't want to admit that they bet on the wrong horse. There's this genuinely cult-like cluster of fans on there who come charging into threads to defend the retcons Tommy made over the last couple years, telling critics that they're not real Robotech fans, and happily say "thank you sir, may I have another" every time Tommy and company shat out another mediocre comic or third-rate movie... the sort of mad Robotech fan whose love of the series borders on the fetishistic, who vehemently disavow its links to Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada, and who defended the obscene price for the Masterpiece Beta as reasonable... in short, people like Treiz and Jeebers.

(To give you an idea of HOW crazy these nutters are, I've been told by some of them that Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada are ripoffs of Robotech, and not the other way around)

I've never seen that happen, but I've heard tell from others...

As for the cult-like behavior, my favorite example of that was a quote from RT.com I saw about how, if the fans are disappointed by the silence from HG about Shadow Rising, they should blame their own earlier bad behavior.

I half expect them to don sackcloth and sit in ashes, waiting for the almighty RT gods to forgive them their transgressions...

As for the cult-like behavior, my favorite example of that was a quote from RT.com I saw about how, if the fans are disappointed by the silence from HG about Shadow Rising, they should blame their own earlier bad behavior.

How the hell does THAT work? :wacko:

Lately, I've come to suspect that Harmony Gold is modeling their corporate operations on 3D Realms, and spend the time they ought to be using to develop new products thinking up excuses for why they don't have any new products to show the fans. Of late, their favorite response is "Oh yes, we're working on stuff, you can tell we are because we don't have anything to show for it!"

I half expect them to don sackcloth and sit in ashes, waiting for the almighty RT gods to forgive them their transgressions...

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS! ^_^

Hey I love me my RT, and was willing to give SCh a shot, even bought the 5 issue prequel, and tracked down a buncha the other comics. Then I SAW SC, yeesh, Yune's storyline was awful, the CG was mediocre, and the designs were alright at best. If SR ever shows up I MIGHT rent it, but that's about it.

I can't ever hate the series though, it is , for better or worse, what got me into anime. Yeah it changes a lot of stuff, yeah Minmay's songs almost universally blow, and countless other problems. But I still loves it. That of course doesn't mean that HG management is full of absolute morons who talk big game but never get crap one. Say what you will about Maceck, but at least he handled the show well when he was there. Even the ignorance of the property in the 90's was occasionally preferrable to this. Then again, that was the era of the GLUT of bad RT comics.

Ok, lost my point, finals are killing me.

.....or to start pulling out whips and flogging themselves......

Taksraven

How the hell does THAT work? :wacko:

Aha! Found it! From here (although I first read it on MedMapGuy's blog):

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&forumid=31

Subject: As to the silence from HG

Posted on: March 7, 2009 - 8:39:22 AM

Edited on: March 7, 2009 - 8:41:42 AM

Honestly, I think the silence is more a responce to fans then anything else. When HG was working on TSC, they gave us lots of information. Sadly, because HG was so forth coming with information, that the information changed almost daily. Many fans complained about the changes in production schedules, changes in distribution, etc. Them add to that, the issues with the distributor (telling HG to announce they had a distributor and the HG finding the contract was junk - AFTER announcing they had a distributor, leaving HG with egg on it's face because they would not sign a lousy contract). HG really took the short end of the stick, from fans, during the production of TSC. As such, HG is taking the smart road, this time, and telling us absolutely nothing until everything is set in stone. This way there are no more "chicken littles" throwing pies in Tommy Yune's face (literally).

In short, if we don't have the information we want, it is because WE (the fans) behaved so badly the last time that we have brought this on ourselves. Maybe, instead of complaining about the lack of information, we should look at the harm we caused, to the thing we love, and accept our failings and the consequences there of.

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS! ^_^

"Mommy, why did Mr. Ruff-Ruff have to die?"

"Because Tommy Yune is a vengeful god, son."

Hey I love me my RT, and was willing to give SCh a shot, even bought the 5 issue prequel, and tracked down a buncha the other comics. Then I SAW SC, yeesh, Yune's storyline was awful, the CG was mediocre, and the designs were alright at best. If SR ever shows up I MIGHT rent it, but that's about it.

I can't ever hate the series though, it is , for better or worse, what got me into anime. Yeah it changes a lot of stuff, yeah Minmay's songs almost universally blow, and countless other problems. But I still loves it. That of course doesn't mean that HG management is full of absolute morons who talk big game but never get crap one. Say what you will about Maceck, but at least he handled the show well when he was there. Even the ignorance of the property in the 90's was occasionally preferrable to this. Then again, that was the era of the GLUT of bad RT comics.

Ok, lost my point, finals are killing me.

I think one of the biggest problems is that the people running the creative department of Harmony Gold now have nothing in common with the people running it then. It's not the same company AT ALL.

And I have to say, regarding the nostalgia factor, that one of the nice things about living near a large Japanese population was the fact that Japanese toys were easy to come by...I picked up my first Macross toys and kits before RT started, and so it ALWAYS seemed like a filter between me and Macross ("It says 'Gerwalk' on the model box...why are they calling it a Guardian...?"). Likewise, it was VERY soon after Robotech ended that I got my hands on a copy of DYRL, and saw we we were REALLY missing.

As such, I have no fond memories of RT. It was always nothing more than a necessary evil for getting my daily Macross fix.

And exactly how many people are involved in this fandom politics you keep talking about? Is it just in the Robotech fandom or does it include us as well?

HEHEHE.... JUST LOCAL FANDOM FANS THAT KNOW EACH OTHER.

NOT THE FORUM POLITICS..

OH, ONE CAM USE CODEX OR CODICES.. DEPENDS. JUST THAT I AM USING THE LATIN WORDING AND NOT THE ENGLISH ONE. BUT YOU CAN USE IT AS CODEX AS WELL.

Didn't they turned Robotech into a chant in the novels?

I'm pretty sure that a chant was INCORPORATED into the story of the novels, actually... didn't the children of the REF crew start chanting "protoculture" and have creepy psychic powers?

OH, ONE CAM USE CODEX OR CODICES.. DEPENDS. JUST THAT I AM USING THE LATIN WORDING AND NOT THE ENGLISH ONE. BUT YOU CAN USE IT AS CODEX AS WELL.

Um... Memo... I think you might be misunderstanding something... "Codices" is the plural form, and I'm pretty sure that's the english pluralization at that. It's been a while since I last cracked my Latin book, but I'm fairly sure the proper Latin plural is "Codicis".

Anyway, unless you intend your project to be a collection of books published together, rather than a single book/magazine, you'd want to use "Codex", not "Codices".

(If you want to get REALLY anal about proper classical Latin, the singular form is "caudex" and the plural "caudicis")

Edited by Seto Kaiba

HEHEHE.... JUST LOCAL FANDOM FANS THAT KNOW EACH OTHER.

NOT THE FORUM POLITICS..

YOUR CAPS LOCK IS BROKEN BIG-TIME, EVEN FOR YOUR USERNAME!!! DOH!!!

TAKSRAVEN

This has largely been my experience as well. On the Palladium boards, most Robotech fans have been quite approachable and open to my website. Granted, because my site is Macross only, it's only interesting to a smaller portion of the board, but they've been good about it all and have asked many questions. I've only run into a few haters, including one guy who is such a jealous Macross hater you can telegraph his vitriolic replies from orbit. While they are few, there are still some RT fans (actually, from any franchise really) out there that should be in therapy.

Anyway, unless you intend your project to be a collection of books published together, rather than a single book/magazine, you'd want to use "Codex", not "Codices".

YEAH, WE ARE USING CODEX.. AS IN ROBOTECH CODEX.

I NOTICED I BEEN USING TO MANNY OF THE SAME WORD.. FROM MAYAN OR AZTEC CODEX AND SPANISH BOOKS I READ WITH DIFFERENT USED NAME AS WELL..

BUT WILL BE UNDER THE BANNER ROBOTECH CODEX..

From all I know, and have known, Seto is probably on thin ice right now just for posting on here. I've heard stories of people getting banned for what they write in other forums, and that was verified.

When I had my account over there, I moved up to Commander status. No big deal, I did a little moderating and whatnot. Anyways, after RTSC came out, I had some criticisms about it. I never attacked anyone over there, but definitely had stated what general complaints I had felt and heard on the net. Anyways, to make a long story short, one day I get an email saying that they were demoting me for something like leaking some classified information (whatever that meant), attacking the staff (didn't know basic criticism of a show was attacking anyone), and for supposedly banning someone (never had done it before, but supposedly I did). Anyways, that was their way of handling criticism. It also didn't help that I am a friend of Tom Bateman.

I don't have any hatred or urning to get even with any of them. I'd like them to do something good, however, I don't like to spend my time worrying about people who have the mentality of children. If they want to believe they are growing, and doing well, everybody has an idea of how things are, even if totally skewed. I was always a Macross fan moreso than Robotech. So when all that went down, I decided I'd just leave it where it's headed. I still have friends over there, and Memo is still one of them, along with several others, but like someone pointed out, most of the ones who helped keep that site going strong are gone. I did make sure to tell those I was good friends with over there the "politics" of what happened, and many of them are just seldom visitors now.

It'd be nice if they got their stuff together and created their own stuff, mecha, characters, and made a story based on all that. There's only so much time before you have to ween the baby off the bottle, and the time comes for them to start fending for themselves.

Edited by Jasonc

From all I know, and have known, Seto is probably on thin ice right now just for posting on here. I've heard stories of people getting banned for what they write in other forums, and that was verified.

I wouldn't doubt it, but then again it wouldn't really be much of a change from the status quo where I'm concerned.

For a while now, I've had reason to suspect that at least one moderator has targeted me for a permanent ban. I haven't exactly endeared myself to the moderators with my zero-tolerance policy for bullshitters and spammers, my refusal to tolerate stupid people, and my tendency to argue with moderators when I disagree with their judgements.

By some extraordinary means, I seem to keep dodging the bullet. Steve Yun, Tommy Tune, Kevin McKeever, and Tom Bateman seem to have all developed some serious apathy for the message boards, and the few remaining moderators don't seem to care much what I do so long as I don't cuss. As the boards have really quieted down, I think part of it might be that when I'm not acting like some foul-mouthed ninja for hire, I'm one of the site's most respected and knowledgeable contributors. (Of course, that doesn't mean a lot over there, since there're probably only about 50 active members there) Perversely, Tommy even seemed glad to have my feedback on the retcons he made in the RPG.

one day I get an email saying that they were demoting me for something like leaking some classified information (whatever that meant), attacking the staff (didn't know basic criticism of a show was attacking anyone), and for supposedly banning someone (never had done it before, but supposedly I did).

Well... I'd imagine they probably keep a closer eye on the moderator staff's behavior offsite than they do the general membership. All the mods seem to present a united front that the new movie(s) are great stuff, which leads me to believe they're expected to parrot the company line or risk losing their posts.

Well... I'd imagine they probably keep a closer eye on the moderator staff's behavior offsite than they do the general membership. All the mods seem to present a united front that the new movie(s) are great stuff, which leads me to believe they're expected to parrot the company line or risk losing their posts.

Besides sucking up to the HG crew and getting fan attention (respect) as a moderator, it doesn't sound worthwhile to be one. At the moment, what reward is there for that position besides posting rights and pressuring the ban of other people? It has to be some kind of ego boost if the people there are that shallow to fight over little things but serious about whatever happens in the forums. If there is some twisted fan exclusive club syndrome with the staff going around it's definitely not worth it. Maybe that's why people are gunning for you, Seto, to feel important. Also, from the staff POV, if the rumors are true, it's because you actually have an informed opinion about the series unlike others.

EDIT: Screw it, from the staff POV, it's because you know too much about Robotech's history and tearing down the image they want to portray to new, prospective fans.

Edited by Einherjar

They've banned a couple other people for stuff they've posted on other boards, I wasn't referring to myself. The only thing you get as a mod, is you get to go to the commander forum :blink: Which basically talks about nothing. While there are a select 1 or 2 commanders there that lightly mod there and don't act like a shrewd fanboy on crack, most do. I think it's just something that they feel they need in order to fill some Robotech fantasy that they really are a commander, and that they are a part of something big, if even a big lie.

When I was asked to be a mod, they kniew I had criticisms about certain things, it was only the release of RTSC that really made them take everything personal. It's sad for them, cause they lost a lot of steam when they decided to break ties with those that helped them. It's funny, cause everytime I goto that site, it's either got the same complaints as always, or there's the same posts with the same 5 people posting.

Maybe that's why people are gunning for you, Seto, to feel important. Also, from the staff POV, if the rumors are true, it's because you actually have an informed opinion about the series unlike others.

EDIT: Screw it, from the staff POV, it's because you know too much about Robotech's history and tearing down the image they want to portray to new, prospective fans.

Somehow, I can't see the few remaining moderators or the admins looking for a reason to ban me just to make their balls feel big. They're not quite that petty... yet. I suspect a lot of it is just that I don't tolerate idiots, I expose BSers for what they are, and I tell moderators off for bad judgements.

Now it wouldn't surprise me at all if I were being targeted for a ban because I'm poking holes in the pretense that the Robotech franchise is healthy, active, and popular.

They've banned a couple other people for stuff they've posted on other boards, I wasn't referring to myself. The only thing you get as a mod, is you get to go to the commander forum :blink: Which basically talks about nothing.

Yeah, there's really not a lot of point to being a moderator there. Traffic in the forums is so light that it's not even really worth it, and the officer's forum is a complete waste of time. Most of the "cool" moderators are gone, lost either to total apathy about Robotech's future, or a simple case of "couldn't be arsed". We're left with three, maybe four mods, only one of which I can honestly say I like and respect. It was even worse back when I first joined, where for every good moderator there was a mod living out some kind of juvenile power fantasy.

It's sad for them, cause they lost a lot of steam when they decided to break ties with those that helped them. It's funny, cause everytime I goto that site, it's either got the same complaints as always, or there's the same posts with the same 5 people posting.

That's the Harmony Gold way... arbitrarily screwing over the fanbase.

The Robotech.com forums are pretty much dead these days... there's somewhere around 25 regular contributors who mostly sit around and rehash the same tired arguments over and over again, broken up by the occasional newbie asking a simple question or a totally absurd hypothetical.

The Robotech.com forums are pretty much dead these days... there's somewhere around 25 regular contributors who mostly sit around and rehash the same tired arguments over and over again, broken up by the occasional newbie asking a simple question or a totally absurd hypothetical.

To be fair, Macross World isn't as active as it was over the summer...

If Shadow Rising ever comes out, or if the LAMR (Live Action Movie: Robotech) looks like it's actually going to happen, they might see a spike in interest.

Just as I'm sure MW will when the Frontier movie comes out.

How can people criticize the Shadow Chronicles?

Get your heads examined please.

Silence, you!

I'm gonna agree with Gubaba. If there is any question of what HG can or cannot do, it's probably gonna have to come from whatever the live-action movie will pull out. And well, if there is any interest that will come, a reboot of the franchise is probably in order. Probably with people who can think of a better story to tie everything together.

How can people criticize the Shadow Chronicles?

Get your heads examined please.

Have you read Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles yet...? It answers all your questions abut your favorite Robotech characters...and kills them off, to boot!