Best. Lightsaber Duel. Ever.

Which do you think was the best lightsaber duel in the SW movies?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think was the best lightsaber duel in the SW movies?

• Obi-Wan V. Darth Vader (ANH)
    • Darth Vader V. Luke Skywalker (ESB Bespin)
    • Darth Vader V. Luke Skywalker (ROTJ Death Star II)
    • Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan V. Darth Maul (TPM Naboo)
    • Darth Maul V. Obi-Wan (TPM)
    • Obi-Wan/Anakin V. Dooku (AOTC)
    • Yoda V. Dooku (AOTC)
    • Anakin V. Dooku (ROTS)
    • Yoda V. Palpatine (ROTS)
    • Obi-Wan V. Anakin (ROTS)

i also liked the Maul fight, i wish we could have seen more of him in the series. by the way you forgot the Obi-wan vs Grevious fight, they did use lightsabers and i thought it was a cool battle.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

It may change, but for now the ROTS finale between Obi Wan and Anakin is my current favorite. It has all the speed and fury of the TPM duel, but it also has the emotional content that the ESB and ROTJ duels had. That, and its the duel I've been waiting nearly 20 years to see.

I know I am in a minority on this but I said Luke V. Vader (ESB) I might have gone with Obi V Anakin (ROTS) except for how it ended was just stupid. I'm sorry I would much rather have seen Obi-Wan kick him into the lava, only to see Anakin claw his way out, then to have him leave him burning on the sand, I wouldn't even leave my worst enemy to that fate.

Anakin Vs Obi-wan is the vote I chose. It was fast paced, emotionally charged, and looked really cool (I'm not talking about real-life life-like swordwork).

Although if I were Obi-wan I would have force pushed Anakin into the lava. I wouldn't dare get close to him. If I got close to him the armless, legless bastard might try to bite my legs off! :lol:

edit: forgot to add that the end of the fight between Qui-gon/Obi-wan vs Darth Maul looked odd considering how great Maul moved. The whole thing of blocking Qui-gon's saber by Maul holding his saber like he's preparing to smash something in front of him, it looked really odd, clumsy almost. Otherwise I loved their fight!

Edited by Sumdumgai

I voted for the Darth Maul fight.

Obi-Wan vs. Anakin is a close second and then Vader vs. Luke in ROTJ

The Darth Maul fight was full of very quick and realistic moves (for Star Wars)and I think the music used in those scenes put it over the top. It's one of those times when the music in a movie really draws you in and affects you along with the action on screen.

Not only that, I think the Qui Gon fight it made it more clear than any other fight the true difference between the Jedi Order vs the Sith. Watching Qui Gon sit and meditate while Maul pace around like a feral animal was over the top. The dynamics with the Shield Generators added a completely unseen effect as well.

I would have combined the Obi-wan/Maul and the Qui-gon/Obi-wan/Maul fight since it's essentially part of the same fight.

I hear ya and I was thinking the same thing especially since that would have allowed me to add another duel into the number of choices but I thought that after Maul and Qui-Gon go at it, there's a shift in tempo/ferocity between Maul and Obi-Wan so I figured seperating the two was justified.

Co-worker saw it when it came out, I mean ANH, than he goes with me to see ROTS anxious as hell to see Anakin and Obi-wan duke it out. Sadly the movie was ruined for him when these 3 lil elementary school kids wouldn't shut up talkin every 3 minutes in the film.

But right when they get to the duel one of the kids shouts "OH HEY! THIS IS WHERE HE GETS HIS ARMS AND LEGS CUT OFF!"

..... <_< CO-worker almost killed the little kids.

Call me the minority, but I liked the fight between Anakin and Dooku in RotS. Short, to the point, limbs flying, and a hedgeclipper style decapitation.

The fight with Maul was good, too, but the Anakin/Obi-wan fight? Too long, and interrupted by story.

This poll is a travesty!

Where's "Luke vs Vader in the Cave on Dagobah" dammit!?!

Twenty-seven seconds of sheer excitment!

Down with EVERYTHING!

neither they all suck in tempo and ferocity. Watch Art of the Saber by the Ho Brothers. Thats how to do a light saber duel right

What Sol Said. But if there is a good one the Maul one would be it. All of the other duels were pretty lame. Lucas should have rehired Ray Park to choreograph all of the other subsequent duels. Better yet he should have hired a Hong Kong Stunt coordinator to do the fight sequences.

Edited by Golden Arms

neither they all suck in tempo and ferocity. Watch Art of the Saber by the Ho Brothers. Thats how to do a light saber duel right

What Sol Said. But if there is a good one the Maul one would be it. All of the other duels were pretty lame. Lucas should have rehired Ray Park to choreograph all of the other subsequent duels. Better yet he should have hired a Hong Kong Stunt coordinator to do the fight sequences.

lucas should have hired the Ho Brothers!!!!!

This poll is a travesty!

Down with EVERYTHING!

Bwahaha, I originally did have that sweet-ass dream sequence as a choice but then I took it out because of the lack of space.

I also took out:

Qui-Gon V. Darth Maul (TPM Tatooine)

Mace Windu V. Palpatine (ROTS)

Anakin V. Dooku (AOTC)

This poll is a travesty!

Down with EVERYTHING!

Meh! This poll is skewed! If the Dagobah Cave Duel were included, it would totally p0wn this poll!

H

P.S. It's also missing that Sidious vs Two Dead Jedi Dudes Other than Mace Windu. That was 2.5 seconds of whoop-ass!

Edited by Hurin

I think Quigon vs. Maul and Obi-Wan vs. Maul should be separate. Quigon was rather slow. The intensity really switched on when Obi-Wan came in.

But Anakin vs. Obi-Wan is the best duel, ever. There were blades EVERYWHERE!

I like the way Grievous handles his sabers with his mech hands, though, as he was saying "Engage, Kenobi." Plus he has FOUR arms!

The Ho battle is cool, but I deducted points because they used Hasbro sabers.

I voted for the Obi-Wan/Maul fight...it has the best visual choreography of them all, although the preceeding duel was really good too. In my opinion the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight should have had more wide shots...in TPM you can see exactly what each person is doing and where they were relative to the fighter, the ROTS duels are all blurry, which could argue for the way a lightsaber fight would be, but in terms of movie visuals, gotta go with the Obi-Wan/Maul frenzy, however short it may be :)

Duel of the Fates > Luke vs Vader RotJ > Obi-Wan vs Anakin > Yoda vs Sidious > Obi-Wan vs Maul > Mace vs Sidious > *

"You were the chosen one! You were supposed to bring balance to the force!"

That one line made me love the Obi-Wan / Anakin duel in RotS :rolleyes:

"You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith! Not join them!"

H

Scenes like the Quigon+Obiwan vs. Maul and the Obiwan vs. Anakin are coreographed masterpieces, but for sheer energy and intensity, nothing beats the Anakin vs. Dooku fight in rots and the Luke vs. Vader fight in rotj. Other fights have lots of fancy swings and blocks, but thats all they amount to. They don't look like they're actually trying to kill each other--they're just swinging at each others lightsabres. The Dooku and Vader fights actually look like pure unbridled anger.