Interwiew to Greg Snegoff

Attention Macross and general anime fans, you wanna have a laugh or two, check this interview out and have a good laugh!!!

Coming up next, a special report on why Kawamori is a very popular mechanical designer (for those of you who do not know, it is because of Robotech of course) in animtion and why Macross is worse than Robotech. (sarcasm please)

Regards...

Edited by waters7

Attention Macross and general anime fans, you wanna have a laugh or two, check this interview out and have a good laugh!!!

Coming up next, a special report on why Kawamori is a very popular mechanical designer (for those of you who do not know, it is because of Robotech of course) in animtion and why Macross is worse than Robotech. (sarcasm please)

Regards...

Ha.

Haha.

Hahahaha!

That guy is funny!

What's best about his statement regarding the Japanese dialogue is that he probably doesn't speak any Japanese at all. All he probably had was a translation, which we all know can easily spiral into complete gibberish.

Oh well. No skin off of my dick.

p.s.- no pics in sigs. You'd better remove it befor a Mod jumps down your throat.

Excerpt form the interview "...There were also cultural differences that made us decide to change certain things—including editing out the usual snot bubbles, blood spatters and gratuitous panty shots."

Fools!!! :angry: You (Sneghoff and Macek) removed the best parts!!! :angry:

and the extremely important decision to keep the writing aimed at an intelligent adult audience, not for stupid children.

This guy can't believe the sh*t he's spouting, can he?

jesus christ the original was not up to standards?? :unsure: i tell people these days..... :(

Regards...

Hey... Look around. Do you see anybody with pictures in their sigs around here? Take it out.

Coming up next, a special report on why Kawamori is a very popular mechanical designer (for those of you who do not know, it is because of Robotech of course) in animtion and why Macross is worse than Robotech.  (sarcasm please)

Regards...

Hey... Look around. Do you see anybody with pictures in their sigs around here? Take it out.

hi i posted a little before you, when i came on he already took it down. is it still showing for some people? because i see none.

chris

Oh c'mon, you guys know you all prefer Robotech's dialogue to Macross' out-of-touch gibberish. It was clear the creators of Macross never really gave much thought to what the characters were saying. All they were worried about was big explosions and playing to little children. I mean seriously, every time I watch the original Macross I long to hear "BIG BROTHER!" over and over again. It makes me feel uncomfortable to see blood or hear characters have discussions about serious content manner... as it would any other adult. Jeeze, references to sex and alcohol, the original is so childish!

Hold on a second, I think my head is beginning to rupture. If it weren't for that horse, I would have never spent that extra year in college.

This guy sounds like he's just so glad he's being interviewed... "Yes, yes... I've been very busy in Italy..." cuz he can't find a decent job at the states.

Here's how it probably went down...

Greg Smegma: So what did you guys think of the script changes?

Tatsanuko guy: Yes, yes. good!

Greg Smegma: I think it's a lot better than the original, it's more mature and involving. And best of all not in japanese which makes a lot less original and less involving. And all little children are stupid! Right?

Tatsanuko guy: Yes, yes... good! You send check?

Edited by >EXO<

I'm sorry, my first language it's not english and sometimes I do not get all the slang. Can you please be a little bit more specific with this and tell me what do you mean exactly!!! :D

Thanks

unknownmecha.jpg

Thats the Shimakaze and Shinano-class ships. I'm guessing the Shinano fills the fleet requirements of the Tristar-class Cruiser Leaders while the Shimakaze appears to be a battleship.

what bought this up?

Edited by zeo-mare

sorry i did not read all of it just breezed through it alittle and got annoyed but some of the stuff i read. i was not sure if some one here had asked about it and that was why you posted the pics.

chris

Don't mock Greg or his comments.

The truth hurts, doesn't it? So just deal with it.

Btw, nobody ripped anybody's work off. It was a legitimate and legal business deal. Carl bought the rights and brought three series to the United States from Japan and made them better. End of Story.

Edited by MGREXX

When they claim to have written a totally original story, throwing out the "gibberish" of the original scripts, and writing entire episodes from scratch? That sir is a load of bull. Especially when he's claiming his work to be superior to something he's never even seen.

HUH?

I have seen all 3 of the original Japanese series that make up Robotech. Personally, Macross is the best of the three but it is still inferior to the writing on Robotech.

AND, the the only thing that Macross has on Robotech is that it came first. I will give Macross another one. It does have more sequels than Robotech but Shadow chronicles will make up for that.

I don't mean to start any flames here but I am just telling it how it is. Take it how you may.

His principal contributions were the general visual story structure created by his editing and the extremely important decision to keep the writing aimed at an intelligent adult audience, not for stupid children.

This alone let me understand how He don't have any Idea of what is talking about...

Much of the bulk of the translating was done by Tatsunoko, not HG. Tatsunoko requested that HG use their translated scripts as much as possible, with minimal editing.

Blood? Nudity? It was 1984 and a children's animated TV show, what the hell did you expect? Compare it's dialogue to it's contemporarys and it was far ahead of anything else.

Much of the bulk of the translating was done by Tatsunoko, not HG. Tatsunoko requested that HG use their translated scripts as much as possible, with minimal editing.

Blood? Nudity? It was 1984 and a children's animated TV show, what the hell did you expect? Compare it's dialogue to it's contemporarys and it was far ahead of anything else.

But would you say it was an improvement to the original sources? That's the kind of stuff that bugs me. I've never said I hated Robotech or it was bad. I can't ever deny I really enjoyed it at the time it was first aired, but for these people to say that they improved it is just insane. I can honestly say it was dumbed down a couple of notch so that the "stupid little children" can keep up with it.

Did they really improve on SC? As far as I know the audiences dropped like flies after the Macross Saga finished airing. Once those VFs were gone from the screen, which no american writers can ever claim, people were just not interested anymore. Only the lucky few who stuck around got to see the Alphas and the Cyclones, more reasons to watch that the "translators" can't claim.

Careful. You're attempting to use logic and sane reasoning in the face of all this rhetoric.

HUH?

I have seen all 3 of the original Japanese series that make up Robotech. Personally, Macross is the best of the three but it is still inferior to the writing on Robotech.

AND, the the only thing that Macross has on Robotech is that it came first. I will give Macross another one. It does have more sequels than Robotech but Shadow chronicles will make up for that.

I don't mean to start any flames here but I am just telling it how it is. Take it how you may.

Greg... is that you?

:lol:

Actually, MGREXX- by your very tone, you KNOW you're trying to start a flame war.

Instead of using non-confrontational words and phrases such as "in my opinion", "the way I see see it" and "personally, I beg to differ"- you instead use phrases like "The truth hurts, doesn't it? So just deal with it" and "but I am just telling it how it is. Take it how you may."

So, please, stop being an a-hole and thinking you're all clever while trying to feed us a line of poo. Any person who does not want to start a flame war would have been more tactful in their responses, something you know you did not even attempt to achieve.

Sure, argue along the party line of how RT is sooo much better than Macross. I'll accept that as your opinion. But I'm pretty sure you're well aware that your arguments above can, in no way, sway the opinions of most of the Macross fans on this board, especially in the childish and asinine manner you presented them.

WTF is this? The Macek Bible???

image025.jpg

HAHAHA!!! I can't believe they actually created a visual graphic for that. Why does it remind me of those little red Mao books? Or maybe Nazi propaganda/Mein Kampf? Or perhaps even some L. Ron Hubbard scam/scientology book?

AND EWW, GREG VOICED KHYRON WHOSE LOVE INTEREST WAS AZONIA... PLAYED BY HIS MOM!

Edited by ComicKaze

Careful. You're attempting to use logic and sane reasoning in the face of all this rhetoric.

Bleh...if you're going to point fingers, you should start with your beloved Snegoff interview. Yellowlightman has a point that anybody who has seen both Macross and Robotech should realize; For the most part, the dialog is relatively unchanged. Therefore, where do these claims of "improvements" over the originals come from...? Oh yeah, its the usual HG rhetoric that they've thrown around since '85.

But I won't attempt to use logic and sane reasoning in the face of your usual blind devotion to all things Robotech.

Yay! Lets poop on Robotech. We've never done that before. :rolleyes:

What with all the Mac 7 "pooping", I think a lot of people have forgotten about Row-boat-heck. I say we poop once more, for old time's sake.