Serenity Trailer Up!

Gaijin

Awesome, Gaijin...

As much as it saddens me that they cancelled the series, which meant seeing a great SF series weekly, this looks like it's gonna rock... The visuals are ten times better than the show.

Are they continuing from where the series left off or is it a new start?

Edited by >EXO<

Awesome, Gaijin...

As much as it saddens me that they cancelled the series, which meant seeing a great SF series weekly, this looks like it's gonna rock...  The visuals are ten times better than the show.

Are they continuing from where the series left off or is it a new start?

It continues a few months after the series...though I suspect we'll get slight rehashes storyline wise to bring the people who never saw the show up to speed...

River kicking ass looks damn cool!!! :)

Edited by Gaijin

A few issues with this trailer:

First, watching River kick ass was good, but what about Jayne? He was the big bruiser from the series and we almost never got to watch him do what he was best at: Hunting down and beating/shooting the crap out of people :)

Second, what's with the sounds in space? The series copied the "no sounds in space" gimmick from 2001 and I loved that part. I hope that's only added flavour in the trailer and not in the movie itself.

A friend introduced me to Firefly last year and I liked it so much I immediately bought my own copy of the DVD set. One of the best sci fi series ever IMO. Such a pity it was prematurely cancelled.

There's only 3 movies I deem worth seeing at the cinema this year and Serenity is one of them. I just hope it gets a theatrical release here in Hong Kong.

Graham

The trailer looks good but I never seen Firefly. What's it about? :unsure:

Here's what www.browncoats.com has for a good description of what the show was about:

For those not already familiar with the show here is a brief introduction.

Firefly is based in the year 2517. Earth, the original home of mankind, now known almost mythically as Earth That Was, grew too polluted and low of resources forcing humanity out to the stars. Mankind lives on “a whole galaxy of Earths". Planets and moons have been terraformed to allow people to live on them. There is a huge gulf of money and resource between those who live on the Sci Fi-like Core Worlds and those that live on the Western-like Rim. The show is set in the wake of a galactic civil war between two factions, the Alliance and the Independents. The Alliance is a "duel hegemony made of West and East" that once ruled the Earth. Following the War, where the Independents were crushed, the Alliance "brought all known worlds under their rule".

The heroes of the show live aboard the Firefly class transport ship Serenity named for the battle where her ex-Independent captain, Macomb Reynolds (Nathan Fillion – Caleb on Buffy), was defeated towards the end of the war. Others on board include Mal’s ex-second-in-command Zoe (Gina Torres – Jasmine on Angel), her pilot husband Wash (Alan Tudyk), the mercenary Jayne (Adam Baldwin), the mechanic Kaylee (Jewel Staite), the companion Inara (Morena Baccarin), the priest Book (Ron Glass), the doctor Simon (Sean Maher) and his mysterious sister River (Summer Glau).

In addition, the show had a great cast that played characters who interacted wonderfully with each other and included some excellent dialog. The episode plots were pretty good as well. Probably the best TV SF show in a long time. Damn Fox.

September 30th can't come soon enough!!! The trailer looks great and it's nice to see Serenity herself cleaned up a bit.... I wonder what the tagline means - from the trailer it looks like a Reaver fleet's invading the Alliance and the crew's caught in the middle and River's got the key to defeating? helping? Who knows, movie's gonna rock either way :D

Yeah terry - it's the same Ron Glass - he's the ship's 'shepard', he's not in the trailer tho :(

What does this have to recommend it? I saw the first episode of the series and I didn't think it was anything special.

The 1st episode that was aired or the actual pilot that Fox showed...last?

The show started off slow (magnified by the fact that Fox did not like the pilot which introduced everyone and explained everything forcing Joss and co. to redo a new one-hour one in 2 days), but try the DVD set...by the 2rd disc you'll be cursing Fox for cancelling this more than Family Guy, Futurama, or SAAB.

What does this have to recommend it? I saw the first episode of the series and I didn't think it was anything special.

The 1st episode that was aired or the actual pilot that Fox showed...last?

The show started off slow (magnified by the fact that Fox did not like the pilot which introduced everyone and explained everything forcing Joss and co. to redo a new one-hour one in 2 days), but try the DVD set...by the 2rd disc you'll be cursing Fox for cancelling this more than Family Guy, Futurama, or SAAB.

I know all of those except SAAB, what's that?

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Joss, I wanted to say thanks for um . . . I guess, giving Mandarin Chinese a really big audience throughout the show. I'm a Cantonese speaker. I want to make you an honorary Chinese person.

JOSS WHEDON: Excellent.

- "Joss Whedon: Serenity" [Q & A with Joss Whedon and all nine actors], San Diego Comic Con, San Diego, California, 7/25/04

Dudes I just found that on Browncoats.com THATS ME :o:D:lol: I said that at the Con

http://browncoats.com/main.php?parent=3e5a...e=3e546fb171d22

A few issues with this trailer:

First, watching River kick ass was good, but what about Jayne?  He was the big bruiser from the series and we almost never got to watch him do what he was best at: Hunting down and beating/shooting the crap out of people :)

Second, what's with the sounds in space?  The series copied the "no sounds in space" gimmick from 2001 and I loved that part.  I hope that's only added flavour in the trailer and not in the movie itself.

Jayne was the A1 of the series. looks and sounds tough but is realy a big softy ;) and a person you can trust to have your back when the poo hits the pan. The person that you should worry was the doctor guy (think rivers bro? been awhile since i seen firefly) I felt he would loose it and start blasting people and feds in public.

edit: lol poo :lol:

Edited by Zentrandude

Yeah, the doc (Simon Tam ) was River's brother...

The episode when she took out the 3 guys on Niska's station without looking and then telling Kaylee "No power in the 'verse can stop me" was awesome...and now we see her going all out in the trailer....Wooooo hooooo!

On a side note...after being number one when released for awhile, the Firefly DVD sales rank at Amazon has crept back up into the top 20 DVD's again, since the trailer was released.

Edited by Gaijin

Fox set Firefly up to fail when it was on tv. By running the shows out of sequence it was very difficult to get a feel for what was going on. Fox also didn't run them every week. I remember seeing a couple of episodes, then having to wait a long time to see Firefly again. IIRC, they also scheduled it for Friday nights. (Can anyone confirm that?) WHile a cable station (like SciFi) can get respectable ratings in that time period, any of the four networks are going to fail at that time with Firefly's target demographic.

The trailer looks great. I thnk I am more excited to see Serenity than Star Wars. I think this weekend i'm going to watch my Firefly DVDs again. If you haven't seen the show, rent them. Then go out and buy your own set. It's well worth it for any science fiction fan.

Second, what's with the sounds in space? The series copied the "no sounds in space" gimmick from 2001 and I loved that part. I hope that's only added flavour in the trailer and not in the movie itself.

No sound in space is hardly a "gimmick" since there is atmosphere there is no medium through which sound carries. I agree that was an aspect I liked about the show, but which probably scared off your typical SW/ST type who feels the need to hear all the effects. That is probably why you have sound for the movie. Personnally I kind of like how they handle sound in the new BSG series, very muffled and represented more by the music then by actual sound effects.

Also I can't wait to see this movie, and now regret not getting the DVD when it first came out, I may rectify that soon.